Newbie question concerning lore and new races

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Newbie question concerning lore and new races

Postby Karkus » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:09 pm

So I've been fighting for the past couple of months, long enough to find the wiki, make a page, and start getting interested in writing lore. As you might guess from the name (which is pronounced very similar to 'carcass'), I have a kind of dead thing going and have noticed a profound lack of the reanimated dead races (i.e. zombies, ghouls, ghosts, etc.).

So my questions are thus: Was the lack of dead races done intentionally to prevent people from being * and claiming immortality in fights? to be clear, I'm *not* trying to be a * and claim that reanimation = invincibility. I'm just trying to expand the world and my lore a little bit.

Secondly if there are no qualms about it, is there a sort of process of introducing new races to the wiki/Bel in general?

Thanks in advance for any answers that can be provided.
Karkus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Dec 2014
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde - Feral
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Polearms

Re: Newbie question concerning lore and new races

Postby Caleidah » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:02 am

Welcome to Belegarth!

For the future, lore questions can generally go in the Role Playing forum on here.

As for folks not playing undead, it really doesn't have a big reason. Like most monster races, the rule is "show, don't tell." If you can't portray being undead from a distance, you're not doing it right.

If you want to add it to the wiki, go for it. I don't think anybody is going to stop you.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Brutus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:02 am

Almost nothing but the rules for fighting in Belegarth is formal, because RP has no effect on the field. There are no classes, and certainly no bonuses for portraying one race over another. There is a small (but growing) minority of people that put a lot of effort into characterization, and many of us really like to see that kind of thing, so please go crazy. However, just know that a lot of people don't care at all about your character history, and you shouldn't be depressed if you run into those people. Just find people that seem to like what you're doing and swap stories with them.

Welcome!
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:14 am

To add to what Caleidah said, and to be sure that you understand it clearly: role playing has absolutely no effect on fighting. Whatever race you choose has no bearing during a fight. There are no special powers, abilities, or boons granted to any person because of their chosen lore. So, make your lore what you want it to be. It's not about the game, it's about doing what makes it more fun for you personally.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Karkus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:22 pm

Awesome, this clears stuff up for me. I was aware that there weren't any sort of class bonuses, I was just surprised no one had added this stuff to the wiki before me and figured there must have been a reason behind it.

But now I guess I have some writing to do. Thanks again for the answers.
Karkus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Dec 2014
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde - Feral
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Polearms

Return to New Members