New Realm in Texas!!!!

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

New Realm in Texas!!!!

Postby Kester » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:22 pm

Hello all! My name is Kester Tol. A few friends and I who have been into medieval combat have decided to build a new realm just south of the Dallas/Fort Worth area called the Griffins Fighting Company. If you are in the area, and are interested in joining, please visit our page on the Geddon and shoot us an email. It's nice to finally be on board here. I'm looking forward to this!

Kester of the House of Tol
Wardville Upon Nolan,
The Griffins Fighting Company
Order of the Rose
-Kester Tol
Wardville Upon Nolan
The Griffin's Fighting Company
The Order of the Rose
Kester
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 1999
Realm: The Griffins Fighting Company
Unit: Order of the Rose
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery.

Re: New Realm in Texas!!!!

Postby Wisp, the Wyrd » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 am

Congratulations on your new realm. Welcome to Belegarth.
Realm leader of Malkier
Member of the Northern Alliance
Wisp, the Wyrd
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: Northern Alliance
Favorite Fighting Styles: Outrageous

Postby Derian » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:04 am

Welcome! Glad to see more groups in Texas!
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Kester » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome! Any recruitment ideas?
-Kester Tol
Wardville Upon Nolan
The Order of the Rose
Kester
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Other people can chime in more than me, but first and foremost, pick a practice time and location, and be there for the whole time, every time, without fail. Even if it's just you sitting with a bag of weapons. Make sure you're consistent when you're starting up.

Also, if you have a few people who can also commit to being there every time (so you can have a few people fighting), make a sign! It can say something like:

Griffins Fighting Company
Come Fight with Us! Walk-on's welcome!

Short and to the point, but I've found that it often can make the difference between someone approaching and not.

Finally, make sure to get contact information for people who come out and have a good time. A Facebook group is perfect, but phone numbers or emails work too.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Wisp, the Wyrd » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:00 am

Make up a website and post it on free local sites. Sites like Reddit work well. Include who you are, what you do and where and when you meet. When you post it to other sites, add a short and sweet blurb to get attention.

You can also see if the local radio station will give you a hand. Malkier has been on a radio spot for both the local colleges and a national radio spit on cbc1. an

Make at least 4 loaner swords for walk ons, and practice in an open field for extra awareness.

When you get new people, a good thing to keep in mind is that they probably have friends that share this interest. Have new guys and gals expand your field.

Courtesy and compliments go a long way with getting people to stay. If someone throws a great shoot on you, mention it. Makes people feel good.
Realm leader of Malkier
Member of the Northern Alliance
Wisp, the Wyrd
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: Northern Alliance
Favorite Fighting Styles: Outrageous

Postby Kester » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:49 pm

I just received word that we are the ONLY realm in Texas. I have been in contact with former realm members and they no longer play. So this should be interesting. Any thoughts on starting a unit? Also, what are the major differences between Dag/Bel? I have played Amt before and I'm not a fan of the wizards just standing there chanting some bs then throwing a sticky sock at you. I am not all that familiar with Dag though. It seems as though they are more popular here in Texas.

-Kester Tol
-Kester Tol
Wardville Upon Nolan
The Order of the Rose
Kester
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:03 pm

The only major difference between Bel and Dag is the way the national organizations are run. We have a council made of realms, and they have the Atari. They incorporated and we branched off to remain more of a loose organization. Otherwise, there are just a few minor differences in the rule sets, which this handy chart organizes nicely. Just bare in mind that the chart is a little out of date. If you're going to go hit up a Dag park, just check their rules set over before you do.

As for units, you can create one or join one; there isn't any official process for either. Really, a units' purpose is to be a group in which like minded fighters can train, socialize, and fight together. You've been fighting for a while, so you probably know pretty much what you want out of a combat sport; if you're interested in a unit, look for one that more or less wants the same things. If you can't find one near you, you can always make one, but it's not a necessity. I've been fighting for nine years and just now started looking at joining a unit. It's all about deciding what you want out of the sport and if there's a group that can help you get there.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Valius » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Are you guys still around? I went past that park a few times on Saturday but didn't see anyone... I am primarily a Dagorhir fighter and drive to Plano on sundays to fight at Illudar. There is a Crowley/Mansfield area Dagorhir group called Dragonreach but practices have been non existant lately.
Valius
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2014
Realm: Dragonreach
Unit: Sons of None
Favorite Fighting Styles: red sword

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:17 am

griffinsfightingcompany@gmail.com is the email I have for these guys. Probably a better mode of contact, if they're still up and running.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to New Members