Hello

Questions and Answers

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Hello

Postby Jirou » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Hello friends, foes, and rabble alike I'm new here and aside from a small amount of boffering i did in high school this is all new to me.

However I have been put in an awkward position at the head of a realm that has fallen apart or may even now be a new realm, I'm not really sure how that works. Heres the deal.

There was a realm in Lewiston, ID long story short there were irreconcilable differences between the original leader and several members the group divided and became two realms one remaining in Lewiston, ID the other moving across the river to Clarkston, Wa (the clarkston one it seems kept the realm name and the larger number of members) but neither had enough members to be a realm (10 min I believe?)
The original leader is still in the Clarkston group while the Lewiston Group has dissolved it seems (I have been to their practice area and made inquiries but they no longer seem to be around)

I have been made the leader of this Clarkston faction that is now down to 3 other members (including the ex leader) plus my self and i'm fairly determined to save this new hobby because i enjoy it, Where do i go from here?
Jirou
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 11 Apr 2016
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red/green sword

Re: Hello

Postby Alom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:20 pm

Are there still members who hold onto the old grudges? If the hatchet is mostly buried, then probably the best thing to do is just leave it there and start recruiting new people who lack the history. Try to get the other vets on board with that.

Recruiting and keeping a realm alive can be a thankless task, but a needed one.
beach bum ninja
Knighted by Ser Necronos
Alom the Stalwart
The Bull Moose Knight
Alom
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2003
Realm: Beyond the Wall

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Realm history can sometimes be the biggest hurdle in recruiting from an already tapped community. My local community, for example, is in a similar situation with our local Dag chapter. A lot of drama and * ended in a significant exodus from that group, and that has made recruiting from the local community (i.e., not from the college) nigh-upon-impossible for either of our groups because of it. When a realm is around for thirteen years and manages to leave a bad taste in the mouths of the local nerd community, it hurts for a long time. Those folks who live here permanently tell every new crop of nerd that comes in from the college "avoid those guys. They're dramatic, rude, and are general asshats."

Even though membership and leadership have changed, people hear the name or the description and they think "oh, it's THOSE guys. Hell with that." Not great for recruitment. So, what we're likely going to do to try and save the chapter (because the more foam-slingers we have in our area the better), is to change the name and structure of it. New constitution, new leadership, and a new name. We're also going to change one of our practices to a different park. People that don't know the group's name still recognize it as "those guys that fight at Evergreen."

So the best place to start might be to start frequenting places where you're most likely to get recruits, and try and feel out how many people are aware of the old group and what happened with it. I regularly encounter people who tried fighting in my area before I was around, and many have a very negative impression of it. Before I can even hope to recruit from that pool again, I've now got to do some serious PR to change that.

Also, take a look at exactly what kind of drama it was that split your group before. In our case, people couldn't leave relationship drama off the field, and there was a lot of animosity between a large local unit and its ex-members. Between those two things, people decided to stop playing together. My group is going to have to take steps to prevent that in the future. Find out what affected your group and try and do the same.

And finally, don't let people pass the blame off on you. Old members that haven't been involved or relevant to the group in years will come out of the woodwork as soon as you try and change things. They'll have opinions about how things should be done, they'll nay-say anything that they don't agree with, and they'll talk **** about your new group and your efforts. Those are the same people that fractured the old group. If they wanted to be a part of the process, then they should have stepped up and fixed things when they had the chance. You're the one that's taking the steps to fix things. If they want to be a part of that and help, then that's wonderful, but if they're going to just get in the way and cause problems then don't be afraid to tell them that they aren't welcome.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby medievalbrew » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:44 pm

Welcome to the forum!!
"No soldier can fight unless he is properly fed on beef and strong beer.”-John Churchill, First Duke of Marlborough
medievalbrew
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 1995

Return to New Members