Question about a rule

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question about a rule

Postby Sir Morpheus » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:06 am

In the BoW it says
1.3.4. The Weapon pommel must not readily pass through a 2? diameter hole.

What do you think the Definition of "readily" is?

thanks in advance
Sir Morpheus The Caretaker
God of Dreams
House Hellhammer
Lord of House of Waning Moon
House Buffet
Wolfpack of the High Plains
Sir Morpheus
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Freyson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:09 am

It means that if you can push the pommel through the hole without compressing the foam it fails.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Kyrian » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:10 am

Just a follow-up to Morpheus' question...In anyone's opinion, is it unsafe if a pommel doesn't fall through a 2-inch hole when place directly on top of the pommel but a corner does go through with almost no resistance if the template is tilted slightly? Should the rule be rewritten so that it more closely resembles this one:

1.4.8.5. Arrow striking surfaces may not easily pass more than 0.5 inches through a 2.5 inch diameter hole. No part of the arrow?s striking surface may be less than 2.5 inches in any direction.

Kyrian
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby debuenzo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:09 pm

i think it should be more like the arrow rule

i believe that the rules are intended to prevent eye injury

therefore...any part of the pommel (or crossguard) shouldnt pass through a 2" diameter hole in any way
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Chicken » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:38 pm

Have people actually seen this come up as a problem? Often? Where I first learned to fight, the rulees were much less... well codified..., so I was told to make a pommel big enough that it wouldn't get in someone's eye. When I experimented with that, I found that I needed the pommel to be ~4" across and flat to not be able to hit my own eye, and I have pretty deep set eyes. 2" , even flat, is more than capable of hitting an eye with a little (bad) luck... yet I don't seem to see a whole lot of belgrim with eye patches at events.

When I test pommels, if it's kinda soft, gonna stay on, not horribly pointy, and doesn't pass through a 2" hole without much effort, I figure it's fine. Honestly, if someone's getting hit with a pommel on anything other than a javelin or a polearm, something's wrong. Not that it doesn't happen, but the victim is 2" away from the person's wholly unpadded fist or haft anyway... .

$0.02...
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Freyson » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Yes, a pommel fails if any part of it can pass through the hole when the template is tilted. The rule already says -

1.3.4. The Weapon pommel must not readily pass through a 2? diameter hole.

There is no direction involved. Just because the end does not pass through does not mean the side is ok. If the side or a corner passes through, it still passes through and fails.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby bo1 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:33 am

I learned when i was a bouncer that the human eye can be depressed about .75 inch without any real damage. So it makes complete reasoning that if a pommel can do that and more then it should not pass. The eye socket is less that 2" in dia., so if no part of it can go .5 inch into that then the eye stays ok( a scratch can still occur but those are less serious and not permanent usually). I like to have what nature gave me, binucular vision is helpful for a host of reasons.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Marshalling/Heralding