Kobayashi Maru scenario

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Kobayashi Maru scenario

Postby Sir Cairbre » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:19 am

The un winnable scenario from ?Star Trek 2?. I am looking for some brave individuals to take part in a test concept. A test, I am code naming the Kobayashi Maru Marshal scenario. The idea is it should be done with 4 individuals. Two of the Individuals should be experienced fighters of extreme skill, the third should a ?Certifiable Marshal? or someone who has passed the test before. The last person is the test taker (testee), who should have already have passed a written test. And have experience marshalling along side more experienced marshals.

The test starts off by explaining how the test will take place or basically this process, with full disclosure.

The two fighters have been pitted against each other to fight. The testee is to over see them as a marshal while the two fighters undergo a series of about twenty 1 on 1 fights, while the ?certifiable? marshal observes.

The two fighters have been instructed (and everyone knows) to start fighting and in the first couple of fights taking anything that touches them, it will not matter if it is light or a graze. As fights progress they will slowly turn up their calibration of what is a legal hit acknowledging shots vocally that do not have enough force as ?Light? or ?Graze?. Towards the end of the fights the two fighters will, stop vocally acknowledging ?Light? and ?Graze? and turn their calibration so high that they will be literally hitting each other has hard as they can, taking no-combat injuries or death(cheating). It is the testee?s job to watch the fighters and intercede when they start cheating by calling their shots. In the final fight the fighters have to disagree with the testee, and the testee must deal with the situation that arises.

The three testers(Certified Marshal & fighters), then decide weather the new marshal did their job properly or not.

Lessons to learn, skills to show:
1. Proves the testee knows what a competent hit between two other fighters.
2. Testee must be willing to tell someone to leave the field
3. Testee must show they can tell a fighter to take a good hit quickly

- idea's>?<
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Re: Kobayashi Maru scenario

Postby Sir Par » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:34 pm

We've actually done this as a part of Karion's marshals exam. I'm not sure if he got the idea from here or not, but my sister and I were the experianced fighters. The test works remarkably well for gauging a marshals readiness to marshall at a national level event
16th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Order of the Gilded Owl
Go Team 4!
Member of the Church of Daraith
Humility: Its pretty much the only thing I'm NOT good at.
Derian wrote:Well, ****. Par is right.
Sir Par
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Aug 2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Marshalling/Heralding