Weapons Check

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Weapons Check

Postby Necronos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:50 am

Having been a Weapons Checker at many events, there are a few things that I would like everyone to know before they get to their next Weapons Check.

Put your gear in the ?check pile? if you want it to get checked.
Putting it near the check pile doesn?t cut it and while you are at it put it in the right check pile please. Many times there are more than one check pile. Some weapons checkers might be only checking missile weapons, others might only be checking dimensions. It all depends on the event and the head weapon checker. If in doubt, ask someone.

Do not crowd the weapon checkers.
If doesn?t take a terrible amount of room for weapon checkers to do their job, but it does take some room. If you are standing in their way they are kept from doing their job until you move. They need to hit themselves with all your weapons to make sure they are safe, that means that weapons need to be swung, thrust, shot and thrown. This can be difficult to achieve properly when you are standing in the way.

Do not try to have a conversation with the weapon checkers.
They are doing a difficult job as it is and want to focus their entire attention on the job at hand. I?m sure you are a very stimulating conversationalist, but this is not the time or place. Let them do their job.

If you aren?t there when the weapons checker failed your gear, don?t be offended when they don?t remember why it failed.
The weapon checkers are checking a lot of weapons in as short a time as possible. Many times there are more than one checker. If you weren?t there when it failed they might not remember when you do show up. If you were there when it failed just ask and they will tell you why if failed. Don?t expect the weapon checker to spend time and tell you how to fix your gear to make it passable most times they don?t have the time. When they do have the time, be grateful.

If you don?t think your weapon will pass then fix it before bringing it to weapons check.
Too often when a weapon fails and the weapons checker says why they hear the words, ?I thought so?. The weapons checker time was just wasted and even more so, someone tried to bring an unsafe weapon on to the field. When someone knows that their weapon is unsafe, they should take it upon themselves and either fix it or not use it.

Don?t argue with the weapons checker.
Weapon checkers are not getting paid to do what they do, in fact they are volunteering their vacation time to do a mostly thankless job. They do this to ensure that the weapons on the field are safe. That needs to be said twice, they are making sure the weapons on the field are safe. They are not failing your weapons because they don?t like you or they don?t like the weapon they are checking, they are failing them because they will hurt someone otherwise. A weapons checker is not going to allow an unsafe weapon on the field because it is your only weapon.

Mark your weapons appropriately.
The Book of War says that a Class 1, Class 2 and Class 3 weapon must be marked with Blue, Red and Green tape respectively. Most times weapons are not marked because they are obviously Class 1, Class 2 or Class 3. However, when a weapon has a stabbing tip that usually doesn?t have a stabbing tip, mark it. This can be very easily overlooked. It is not a good thing to get stabbed by a stabbing tip that would have failed if it was known about beforehand.

Don?t bring half weapons to weapons check
At weapons check, the weapons checkers are busy. Don?t waste their time by bringing up piecemeal gear. Finish your weapons completely before having it checked. If you want someone to give you feedback on your weapon, find an experienced fighter that isn?t checking weapons at that moment.

If you come late to get your weapons checked, don?t expect the weapons checker to bend over backwards to accommodate you.
If you didn?t make weapons check and want to fight with your gear and have found a weapons checker who will check your weapons for you, only have them check the minimum gear you need to fight. Don?t bring them 12 arrows along with your shield and sword when in all honesty you are not even sure if you will need the arrows. When they are compromising for you, please compromise for them. If you are primarily an archer then that is a little different. If you just arrived at the event that too is different.
Ser Necronos, 15th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Necronos
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2003
Realm: Ebonhold
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Cyric » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 am

I'd like to add string your bow before coming to weapon check. And that you don't need to check every weapon you own every event, just what you're going to fight with that day.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Sir Farrin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:24 pm

I would like to add don't grab your stuff till someone says its okay. a lot of people think stuff has been checked and grab finding out that it was never checked.
Sir Farrin

Knight of Dunharrow
Lord of the Greybush!
Sir Farrin
Bandit
Bandit

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:38 pm

Don?t argue with the weapons checker.
Weapon checkers are not getting paid to do what they do, in fact they are volunteering their vacation time to do a mostly thankless job. They do this to ensure that the weapons on the field are safe. That needs to be said twice, they are making sure the weapons on the field are safe. They are not failing your weapons because they don?t like you or they don?t like the weapon they are checking, they are failing them because they will hurt someone otherwise. A weapons checker is not going to allow an unsafe weapon on the field because it is your only weapon.

I don't mean to be an *, but .. what if the weapons checker is just being arbitrary/unreasonable?

My group has a number of fairly identical shields. Some passed. Others failed. Okay. We fixed the fact that there were bolts on the back of the shields by their advice of putting duct tape over the bolts. Okay. But then a weapons checker still failed one of our normal roundshields just by looking at it (seemingly for no reason), without telling us why it failed when we asked (we were right there on the spot talking to him when he did it). I guess he was grouchy, or something, but when we protested (and he still said it failed), another weapons checker came over, ACTUALLY CHECKED the shield, and said that it passed just fine.

I know that weapons checkers have a thankless job, but I think it's reasonable to protest illogical judgment calls on their part, to a certain extent. I mean... once I saw that no one cared, I just gave up on using my own equipment at springwar, even though I'm convinced that there was no reason for it to fail. It's just...

Okay. I'll agree that people shouldn't protest/argue at weapons check, if weapons checkers agree to be fair and to actually know the rules / what's safe and what's not. And to be consistent.

If weapons checkers are overworked and need help, I mean, I'll jump in and help. I've done it before.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Necronos » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:24 pm

Magpie of Rh?n wrote:I don't mean to be an *, but .. what if the weapons checker is just being arbitrary/unreasonable?

Then the weapons checker isn't doing their job, do I have to spell it out at the be beginning of the post?!

"This is my own personal opinion and does not reflect the opinions of the site owner or Belegarth Medieval Combat Society. These is based on my personal experience and does not include **** weapons checkers who aren't doing the job properly"

*refusing to use emoticons, so imagine a little dot rolling its eyes*
Ser Necronos, 15th Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Necronos
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2003
Realm: Ebonhold
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Cyric » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:35 am

Yeah, some weapon checkers just suck. i know i've had weapons fail for stupid reasons by bad weapon checkers. all we can do is try and weed out or teach the bad ones through experience.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:10 am

Okay. Sorry about that outburst, I had just kinda built up some frustration about that since springwar.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Problem with weapons chckers

Postby Satanaka » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:21 am

Magpie: I understand what you are talking about and have seen it.
Weapon checking is tough asn as you said- a 'thankless job' where you are ALWAYS a 'bad guy'
Sometimes we have people checking weapons that DO NOT HAVE A CLUE, or do not have enough experience, or are overkill on certain things. I have seen 'Weapon checkers- DIG into a weapon and then say they can feel core...

BUT- back to your question: If you think a certain weapon's checker is makeing bad calls or does NOT have a reason why it failed- take it to a few good heralds- then take it to the "Head Herald" and ask if they would look at it- don't tell them WHO failed it. If they fail it- ask them why - so that you may fix it. If they pass it- then smile- and get your 'passed sticker' and then AFTER that- let the Head Herald know about the other weapon checker's attitude and poor checking skills.

Our Heralds are VERY different. Some will pass a certain weapon- where others will fail it. BUT- still close enough and consistent enough. Since it IS about safety- that should be the bottom line and the point that determines all checks. I'd not want the toughest guys with the highest threshhold for pain to be the Weapons checkers- It should be based on the 'average' fighter.

Example: Who do you know that has/will fail a brand new weapon baught at Kegmart and then walked over to weapon's check????? Of course the customer- is going to say- "I just baught that!!! how can it fail????"
Well- it is a little TO hard and needs to be 'broken in' a little.
IMHO if a Herald whould NOT fail a weapon just because it was new from kegmart- they are NOT a good Herald.
Also- golden rule- if the person will NOT take a hit from their own weapon- it fails...

We don't have a lot of the 'trainning' we use to have for Heralds. Weapons checking IS a tough job BUT a very important one. At Octoberfest- watch the weapon checking- if you DON'T see a 'fail' pile of weapons- then watch for injurries on the field...

Hope this helped.

Magpie of Rhûn wrote:Okay. Sorry about that outburst, I had just kinda built up some frustration about that since springwar.
Last edited by Satanaka on Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Re: Weapons Check

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:49 am

I don't think Magpie is still upset a year and a quarter later.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby debuenzo » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:03 pm

he tends to hold grudges...
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby bo1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:32 pm

ya that guy hasn't been the same this past year.
he constantly curses the spring war checkers, i am tired of hearing it for 18 months.

no really we still laugh at them on a regular basis.
I have an ongoing joke that i make gear that even pass at spring war.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Return to Marshalling/Heralding