Heralds

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Heralds

Postby Satanaka » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Many people are saying that "..the Herald should....."
for every issue under the sun.
Major complaints: 1) are rules are not clear, 2) we need more rules, 3) More clarifications of rules, 4) deeper definitions, etc., etc,., etc.....

BUT almost everyone says that it defaults back to HERALDS.

I am more and more convinced that we HAVE to make some adjustments to the way we Herald as well as qualifications, trainning, experience or all the above.

Here are some of the MAJOR mistakes we have as Heralds:

1. Heralds that don't make calls.
2. Heralds that make TO many calls (and bad ones)
3. Not enough Heralds per number of people. I am not sure how we tackle this one. What is the best number for the amount of fighters. NOW we have 1 Herald for about every 100 people at the biggest events. No one likes to miss having fun- and being a Herald is a "No reward Job" where- if your doing your job- you catch more flack and people hate you.
4. We also have new Heralds, NOT to mention weak Heralds.
5. Heralds that won't make a call against their buddies or unit members.

#5 is one that I have seen an increase in over the last 6 years. These people are as much a threat to the game as #4.

What do you think?
Last edited by Satanaka on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Re: Heralds

Postby Renell Calmcacil » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:30 pm

I think this is something that is an ongoing issue on all points and to my understanding that is why this forum was started as well. I understood this forum to be about how to improve or learn about being a Herald.

I have begun to use the smaller print BoW that was put up. It makes for less confusion and if there is a discrepancy I just pull out my handy dandy pocket BoW and we take a look-see. I strongly recommend doing something on this order for ANYONE heralding. Whether it be at a practice or an event. I have mine laminated as well so that it will not be easily damaged. I also have it on a metal ring that can be put on my belt so I dont have to worry about losing it.

I think you are correct on the #5 issue. I, for one am not well liked and just have realm right now anyway so I dont worry about * anyone off because they already dont like me to begin with. Maybe all Heralds should be mean old beeyotches or bastatches and then there would not be an issue with #5?
"If you let yourself be defined by any one moment, event, person or place in time, you eliminate yourself from all of the possibilities of eternity" Ronda McCaskey
Renell Calmcacil
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2001
Realm: Khador

Postby Boss Kaptin Miikie » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Personally on #5 I think that all heralds need to understand when you put on the yellow you are a nutral party you have on unit you have no friends you are there to keep people safe keep the rules inforced and try to make sure every one has a good safe time.

If you cant do that you should not put on the yellow its very important for me at least as a herald to make the ideas of Belegarth MCS and the group im heralding for above my own every time i put my yellow on

Its only fair to our selfs and to others to do so
Boss Kaptain Miikie The Voice Of Gruumsh
Red Hand Shaman | Western Uruk-Hai | Red Hand Tribe
Prophet of the Red Back Hand
Aquilonia Realm V.P. | Justicar
Boss Kaptin Miikie
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 1999
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glave, polarm, spear
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Calarn the Black » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:09 pm

I think 5 is a big issue, but could be partially helped by solving 3. We have WAY too few heralds typically; it's a thankless job, no one ever wants to do it. Or, as has happened at some events I've seen, many people volunteer to help, but are never called upon to do it. If we, say, lowered the ratio to 50-1, that would be a better help to actual enforcement of rules.
It can be difficult to keep tabs on everything going on on a field of 250+ with just three heralds, yet I see it all the time at events. More heralds help to have oversight over each other as well as the field.
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Satanaka » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:28 pm

I think you hit soemthing here- I also believe this would help.

Calarn the Black wrote:I think 5 is a big issue, but could be partially helped by solving 3. We have WAY too few heralds typically; it's a thankless job, no one ever wants to do it. Or, as has happened at some events I've seen, many people volunteer to help, but are never called upon to do it. If we, say, lowered the ratio to 50-1, that would be a better help to actual enforcement of rules.
It can be difficult to keep tabs on everything going on on a field of 250+ with just three heralds, yet I see it all the time at events. More heralds help to have oversight over each other as well as the field.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Return to Marshalling/Heralding