Event Vs. Practice hearlding thoughts

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Event Vs. Practice hearlding thoughts

Postby Davit » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:47 pm

So while I was coming up with this great class for Arm 8 on heralding, I decided that I could not teach people how to herald in a week, much less in 30min to an hour. I then decided that it would be a better idea to have some discussions which could include anyone there on a few different topics. In my opinion the most important one in this set of topics was the differences between Event and Practice Heralding.

I would like to hear some opinions other than my own on this before I start badgering on, but if no one steps up to the plate I will start.

So what do you think is/should be different?
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Re: Event Vs. Practice hearlding thoughts

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:33 am

Well I am wondering what everyone thought of me using a horn on the field instead of 'layon' I heard a lot of 'Madog blowing his horn' puns, and some of my friends said they liked it better, especially when we couldn't hear lay-ons on Friday barley at all.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Bronwyn Trea » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:31 am

I think most of the differences are very realm based. We have a bunch of noobs who for a while were doing nothing but back stabbing so we made it illegal to back stab, except when playing cutthroat and during line battles. We tell them at events it's aloud, but at practice is not. I guess I would say I am harder on the guys at practice... by the time you go to an event you should have most of the rules down.
Bronwyn Trea
Scout
Scout

Realm: De-Treba Mora
Unit: Reavers
Favorite Fighting Styles: Smile sweetly then pierce the mans heart... Oh you mean for Belegarth. LoL. I like flail and board.

Postby Davit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:54 pm

Ok, So I guess I was thinking in more general terms. For example, IMHO I believe in a practice you should focus on teaching people the rules, while at an event enforcement should be the name of the game, mostly due to the fact that you need to call and move on at an event vs. knowing most of the people at a practice.
I like the idea you had Madog, I know that by the end of the day it gets hard to have the entire field hear you, no matter how loud you can be.
And BT please don't take this the wrong way, but I believe while you are right at wanting to promote multi-faceted fighting, banning it outright might not be the best way to do things. Remember some of those that do the backstabbing might be more pre-disposed to do it later because of the ban, because they might think it's "too powerful of a tool." Other ways to deal with things that would promote only using it in good situations, or force them to get better at it, Reduce the size of the field, forcing them to either fight up front, or get better, or take them aside and teach them how to fight up front. It may not be that they like backstabbing, but that they are afraid that they suck at any other kind of fighting.

I think most of the differences are very realm based.

This is the exact reasoning I had when I decided that I couldn't be expected to teach people how to herald, and that a "discussion" format would be the best way to get people to find how they think they could improve their heralding not only at home but when they decide to take the **** * job of a herald. I mean hell, someone called Perigrine an * on saturday at geddon, and that man is the nicest and most well meaning person I've ever met.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Satanaka » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Hmmmm...... I thought about this and I think I do both the same- maybe a little less intense at a practice due to dealing with less than 75 people. At an event where the numbers are so much greater and you have such a low percentage of Quality and/ or Qualified Heralds- you have to have your "A Game" on and watch more: Safety, tempers, Rules, Field Flow, etc.

At Practice- with 3 Heralds- I can take the time to really explain it to a person- at an event- I might try to get somone on the same team- I can trust- to explain the rule.

Last Octoberfest- I don't think anyone that I'd consider a veteran Herald- work on the battle field 100% of the time. I would also say that the largest group of Heralds were VERY new and not enough experience to really Herald at Octoberfest (IMHO)

But I was glad to have almost any help. I was also glad to help.

*** Bronwyn Trea- as Davit said- I agree that the "Banning" was /is abad idea- for those getting tired of it- let them be better fighters and guard against it. I think that is a poor way to handle that. In my years- the back stabbers- help make me a better fighter. And when you have some of the best DA on your field- YOU BETTER KEEP AN EYE ON THEM. :devil:
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Tulio » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:01 pm

SirMADOG wrote:Well I am wondering what everyone thought of me using a horn on the field instead of 'layon' I heard a lot of 'Madog blowing his horn' puns, and some of my friends said they liked it better, especially when we couldn't hear lay-ons on Friday barley at all.

I have to say I really liked the horn. Gave a great boost to the atmosphere.
Barron Von Tulio

Sir Tulio the Imposing
Tulio
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2005
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Postby Davit » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:32 pm

Ok guys, keep it on topic, the discussion here is differences between, not things you think are kinda neat. I can split or make a new discussion, but if someone else wants to head up the "usefull ideas for heralds" thread that would be awesome.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
Knight of Wolfpack
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Dane » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:00 am

When heralding at practice (on that rarest of occasions), I tend to take a more passive role. Generally, I spend most of my time getting fighters up quickly for the next fight to keep practice moving along, and if disputes arise, I'm there for that. If a fighter comes to me with an issue about another's hit-taking, I'll observe the fighter for a time, and even if I don't see anything questionable, I'll approach said fighter and let him/her know that an anonymous individual had 'x' complaint about him/her so he/she should be mindful of that in the future. I make it a point not to accuse anyone of wrong-doing unless I actually observe a blatant offense.

At an event, I'm an active herald. I move quickly from fight to fight, and I get in close so that my presence is felt. If I see shots hit cleanly and don't hear "light" or "armor" calls, I take the target area in question. If I see "duck walking," I tell that fighter that his good leg's pierced so he gets to sit still. I congratulate good deaths, good runs, and clear, concise shot-calling (light, hand, armor, etc.). If someone questions my judgment, I tell them to find me after the battle for an explanation, and I move on to watching the rest of the fighters.

It's been my experience that just being close to the fight encourages higher levels of sportsmanship and integrity, and if fighters see other fighters getting corrected on the field, they're much less likely to make the same mistakes.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:13 pm

One thing we do locally is for the herald to call out "make ready!" and everybody fighting raises their weapon, before he calls "lay on".

It's a great way of telling who did and didn't hear the herald.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Boss Kaptin Miikie » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:27 am

Practice - I spend most of my marshaling time as more of an organizer for games or just making teams fare as a marshal at a practice I have time to see every thing that happens an am able to tech newer people tip or basics off of what i observe in the battles a marshal at a practice is more of a tool to help with improvement and so on on the rare occasion there is an actual problem im there to get it worked out

Event - There are teams on the field but the event marshals must work as a team as well making sure to spread them selfs to watch all point of engagement on the field useing the newer event marshals to watch smaller groups and more experinced marshals to watch the larger groups of fighters at an event a marshal must be able to be diplomatic to reslove a problem such as rino hideing or anger issues and so on be for they become a serious problem and in the case that the issue becomes a problem the marshal must be ready to deal out a punishment that fits the problem at an event a marshal must be ready for anything
Boss Kaptain Miikie The Voice Of Gruumsh
Red Hand Shaman | Western Uruk-Hai | Red Hand Tribe
Prophet of the Red Back Hand
Aquilonia Realm V.P. | Justicar
Boss Kaptin Miikie
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 1999
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glave, polarm, spear
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby BuGaRAsu » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 am

make the fat kids do it.........well i mean there is allways some one sitting around not wanting to fight cause thier "injered" or takeing a "smoke break" some ones "girlfriend" you all know the one im talking about....and they should know the rules when they are there every week for practice any way the horn, great idea it beats evety one thumping on their shields for 5 minnetss waiting foe some one to finnish talking to some 13 year old girls that wandered in to our practice (buts thats another story) but what ever works and about who ever group banning the backstabs at practice that is borderline we todid shure you live longer at practice but then when it counts you get some one like me who will flank your wall and be like blue green green double green blueblue green blue blue and your whloe unit is gone because you banned backstabs at practice all is fair in love and war
BuGaRAsU
BuGaRAsu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 2006
Unit: suns of the deth tree
Favorite Fighting Styles: slashing stabing pokeing smashing

Postby Satanaka » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:15 pm

>:( ?????!!!!!

I disagree with this. Heralding is NOT just any idiot sitting around. I do not believe that just "anyone" needs to be Heralding.

As for the rules in whatever realm your in- maybe you should bring this up to others or to the leaders. Maybe you need more than one Herald on your field- that would help as well.

good luck

BuGaRAsu wrote:make the fat kids do it.........well i mean there is allways some one sitting around not wanting to fight cause thier "injered" or takeing a "smoke break" some ones "girlfriend" you all know the one im talking about....and they should know the rules when they are there every week for practice any way the horn, great idea it beats evety one thumping on their shields for 5 minnetss waiting foe some one to finnish talking to some 13 year old girls that wandered in to our practice (buts thats another story) but what ever works and about who ever group banning the backstabs at practice that is borderline we todid shure you live longer at practice but then when it counts you get some one like me who will flank your wall and be like blue green green double green blueblue green blue blue and your whloe unit is gone because you banned backstabs at practice all is fair in love and war
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:37 am

Well, one of that alphabet soup factory explosion's ideas wasn't completely retarded: If you have non-coms who are ALWAYS there and who actually do know the rules well enough to herald, why not ask them? My girlfriend has been an edge herald on bridge battles before, at least, and other non-coms have stepped up to run a timer or count points in CtF type games.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby BuGaRAsu » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:12 am

Arrakis wrote:Well, one of that alphabet soup factory explosion's ideas wasn't completely retarded: If you have non-coms who are ALWAYS there and who actually do know the rules well enough to herald, why not ask them? My girlfriend has been an edge herald on bridge battles before, at least, and other non-coms have stepped up to run a timer or count points in CtF type games.

thats what im saying not just some idiot
sorry about the long comment ill try not to type bhile smoking
BuGaRAsU
BuGaRAsu
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 2006
Unit: suns of the deth tree
Favorite Fighting Styles: slashing stabing pokeing smashing

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:36 am

You need some of these: .

These wouldn't hurt either: ,

In fact, explore the whole right side of your keyboard, there seems to be a whole world there you're not familiar with.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby No'Vak » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:42 am

Big Jimmy wrote:You need some of these: .

In fact, explore the whole right side of your keyboard, there seems to be a whole world there you're not familiar with.

This is epic.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Davit » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:33 pm

Spelling and punctuation are your friends, they make you sound less like some ignorant *.
Now onto the issue, I don't think the majority of people who don't fight should herald. There are exceptions to every rule, especially if you are using them as line judges, or the person people regen at, etc. How are they supposed to know what a sufficient hit is if they don't fight. It is already subjective enough. In order to judge hits when I'm heralding I have to use sound, what the weapon looks like when it hits, what the person who is getting hit looks like etc. Besides the "fat lazy people" are usually there to socialize, and while this can happen with experienced heralds too, it should not the majority of the time, especially at events.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
Knight of Wolfpack
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Satanaka » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:52 pm

(shakes head) that cracked me up....
:devil:

Big Jimmy wrote:You need some of these: .

Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Return to Marshalling/Heralding