Keeping people interested...

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Keeping people interested...

Postby The Lost Celt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Some of the guys are feeling we're doing way too much stand and deliver/red rover battles and while the majority enjoy that I think the newer fighters might be a little discouraged, most of our fighters locally are fairly vetted...

So what are good battles to get the newer guys enthused, and what are some good fights that keep the vets and the newbs happy?

Kill your killer is pretty common here, rez battles where they form up in groups as they come in seem to be pretty popular.

I like bridge battles, I'd like to do a four corner bridge or a bear pit in the near future or a dual bridge rez battle...

As an aside I'd love to include battles that encourage group awareness and working together, I think that value is lacking (a good chunk think they're the next Braveheart, common problem) Other than kill the king I can't think of much else...

So yeah, just looking for any additional ideas or insights on this.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Re: Keeping people interested...

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:18 pm

I like what we call 'elites'. You pick a small group of people, generally about 10-20% of the field, so on a 30 person field you'd have 3-4. These people are the elites.

The object of the game is to become (and stay) an elite. If you kill an elite, you become elite. Any time you kill someone, you regenerate all wounds, so you regenerate upon becoming elite, and elites regenerate whenever they kill a normal person.

Usually we do 2 lives/30 seconds. When you die, you sit down and count slowly to 30, stand up and call something like '1, 2, 3 I'm up!' and join back in the fight.

It's good on multiple levels. Picking vets to be the elites at the beginning can help to show newer folks how to work together to take down people who are much more skilled than them, and once they become elites, they get to learn how to fight many opponents.

It's somewhat similar to a kill your killer battle, except that it doesn't take forever and it doesn't always result in one or two people winning every game.

New guys seem to love a Necromancer battle too, and it can definitely be fun, though it doesn't lend itself to skill building too much. http://geddon.org/index.php/Necromancer_Battle
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Derian » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Oh, I'm also a fan of standard CTF. Games that are at their core a team battle but have some element other than fighting can help to keep the interest of someone who will have their * beat by 90% of the fighters on the field. CTF is good because Joe Newb on his first day out can absolutely win one or several battles even though he's trying to fight like an anime character.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board

Postby No'Vak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:26 pm

We've done teams of two where if your partner dies you're dead.

Helps to promote team work.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Tauron » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:11 am

There is a game floating around my way that a group called Galatia came up with. It works really well with a small group. It's called Blob!

More or less starts out with a Chaos. Each fighter starts with a team name and as that palyer kills another player that player is on that team. Once you are killed your association with that pryor team ends. You rez in the spot you are killed. The game goes on until there is only one team on the field. Very cool game!!
Kinsman Tauron the B'olde, House Sinistrad
Isle of Myne, Indomar
Dragoon, Free Company
Tauron
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Kingdom of Gwynedd
Unit: Indomar

Postby Brutus » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:26 pm

I've been bouncing around ideas for a fighting/ultimate frisbee hybrid. I think it would work best with single-blue weapons, for obvious reasons. And you'd probably have to make it so that you don't have to stay stationary when you have the frisbee, maybe you are allowed to move backwards. We haven't had a chance to try it yet, though, in Riverbend.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby The Bruce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 pm

In the wacky vein of armed ultimate frisbee, I tried to get people to bring their paintball guns for Musketeer-style fighting. You bring your single blue and ten rounds, loading paint one at a time. No one seemed to want to fight wearing a paintball mask... :neutral:
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
~Frank Sinatra~

The Bruce
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mildly drunk.

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:44 pm

We play a game called huntsman. It's intended purpose is to educate new people on player names (so they get to know everyone) and positioning.
-2 teams
-You can call a dead person's name and trade your life for theirs as you are about to die. This allows you to do sneaky things like Rez a dead teammate that is behind your opponent. It is a fun and silly game.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Arrakis » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:00 pm

The Bruce wrote:In the wacky vein of armed ultimate frisbee, I tried to get people to bring their paintball guns for Musketeer-style fighting. You bring your single blue and ten rounds, loading paint one at a time. No one seemed to want to fight wearing a paintball mask... :neutral:

Dude, running down and butchering a guy who just missed you with a paintball sounds crazy intense.

Try to get them to do it in just goggles with the velocities turned down to 250 fps.

The SCA uses very powerful rubberband guns for their fencing (sometimes).

To the OP: They love the hell out of I Have the Power (you kill the guy with the power, now you have it, when the guy with the power dies, all the people he killed come back to life to attack the new guy with the power), zombies (one zombie v. world. Any kills by the zombie become zombies next round. Zombies res in place on a ten count), and infinite res bridge battles. I hate infinite res games, though, so, I like Death Tax Bridge (team life totals (2-3x number of people on the team) or individual (2-5 lives apiece)). Another good one is Ring the Bell. It's like CTF, only instead of getting a flag from their base and capturing it, you just have to strike a shield laying on the ground or (even better) hung from a tree limb that is only half a dozen yards in front of the enemy res point. For more scores and to reward better fighting, increase res time from 0s to 5s or 10s.

Noik, that sounds baller. I'm gonna try it up here. Call it Blood Brothers or something.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:00 am

Our noobs love zombie battles.
1) Zombies don't take limbs.
2) If a Zombie kills someone, they count to 5 and become a zombie.
3) Zombies can't run and they can only say 'Brains!'
Optional house rule:
4) When a Zombie dies, they aren't truly dead, they can still grab ankles and hold humans in place for other zombies to kill.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:28 am

Great for single blue practice, or you can do weapons of choice, either way.

Highlander Rez battle. Everyone enters the field. If you make eye contact, you are in a duel with that person. Loosers go to the sideline. If the person who killed them is killed, then they are back in. So to win the prize, you have to kill everyone else on the field. It's a fun game.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Seraphen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:25 pm

We have a CTF type game we play called bash the shiel that seems to always please the nooblets, without annoying vets. Instead of capturing a flag and returning it to base, all you have to do is hit a stationary shield protected by the other team before they hit yours. The shield have to be immune to ranged damage, or things can get pretty silly. We usually give each team a valhalla somewhere near their shield where they can respawn. It's a good game for working on field strategy and teamwork, as well as field awareness and prioritizing. Just an idea.
Just call me... The Farmer!
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 May 2008
Realm: Shannara
Unit: Chaos Guard Elite
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Sword and board, Archer

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:59 pm

We call that game Ring the Bell. It gets pretty intense but it levels the field pretty easily.
I'm mos def gonna try out the Elites game Derian mentioned this week, should be interesting.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Beren Fellspear » Tue May 03, 2011 2:11 pm

We fight a game in Rhovanion called Escalation. It's great for the end of the day. Here's the rules copied from the wiki.

Escalation
Number of Players: 2-200
Type of Battle: Field battle
Time to fight: About 30 minutes, with a 12-20 person field of fighters
Special Rules: No Reusable Missiles

Escalation is a game designed to get players used to fighting in imbalanced situations, with minimal gear. It’s a great game to play towards the end of the day, as it requires people to remove their armor. In Rhovanion, we end almost every practice with an endurance fight, usually Escalation or Capture the Flag, so people leave as they tire out. Here’s how you play:

1 – Teams are chosen and divided as appropriate
2 – Each fighter begins Escalation with only a single blue
3 – The fight lasts until one team wins
4 – The losing team may pick up one piece of gear for every 10 fighters on the field
5 – Teams line up and fight again, repeating this cycle until each team has all the gear they want
6 - Teams then fight a best 3 out of 5 to determine the game's overall winnner.

Variations
-- Any end condition to the game may be set, including a timer, exhaustion, or attrition if you want play to emphasize endurance.
-- For sheer amusement, the herald may dictate what equipment each team picks up when they lose.

Gaining Gear
When a team picks up a piece of gear, it may be anything allowed by the rules of the game. Each piece of gear is counted separately, so it can take a while for a team to gain full sets of gear. Note, in Escalation, there are NO REUSABLE MISSILES. Reusable missiles effectively compound the amount of gear a given team receives.

Armor:
A single player may gain up to full armor and it counts as a single piece of gear.

Bows/Arrows:
If a player elects to pick up a bow, the player may have ONE arrow. They may pick up more arrows at the cost of 2 arrows for one piece of gear selection. In escalation, missiles are NOT reusable.
Beren Fellspear, Thane of Rhovanion
And yes, until recently I was Sir Artemis of Numenor
Beren Fellspear
Smarmy Book Nerd
Smarmy Book Nerd

Started Fighting: 0- 7-1993
Realm: Rhovanion
Unit: Knights of Numenor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Longsword & Heater, Spear

Postby No'Vak » Tue May 03, 2011 2:42 pm

That sounds like a lotta fun, great idea man.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Boss Kaptin Miikie » Sat May 14, 2011 12:20 am

We have one like capture the flag get 2 javelins tie different colored fabric to them cut the field down the middle. flag cap is the other teams flag to you base we do unlimited re spwans tell the cap. set the re spawn point opposite side of the field to your base. we start will 4 people at the re spawn are and there all alive and change it as needed. its a long game but alot of people at practice as well as border ways really like it.
Boss Kaptain Miikie The Voice Of Gruumsh
Red Hand Shaman | Western Uruk-Hai | Red Hand Tribe
Prophet of the Red Back Hand
Aquilonia Realm V.P. | Justicar
Boss Kaptin Miikie
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 1999
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glave, polarm, spear