Comprehensive Breakdown of the BoW

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Comprehensive Breakdown of the BoW

Postby Kage » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:28 am

Basically what the title says. I went through and gave my interpretation of the entire book of war. It's not perfect but it's a fairly decent start. The talk of standardizing is what inspired me. Also I couldn't really think of a better forum to place this in other than the RD&D forum. Enjoy.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BaV88ag-R_AfEb9NAOBM9Fd4MPcmi9qNMQK38YWa2Ns/edit?hl=en_US&authkey=COjghrQJ

Constructive criticism greatly appreciated; non constructive well if it has to be done....
Last edited by Kage on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Re: Comprehensive Breakdown of the BoW

Postby Davit » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:50 am

Lol, its to where i cant access it. Can you make it public for viewing?
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Kage » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Lol whoops *facepalm* yeah.

Edit: Should work now.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Blitz. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:12 am

I thought it was done rather while. Nice job!

My two cents is maybe adding go the BoW in general is adding a "how to weapon check" section. Most weapon checks are rather self explanatory. I personally believe arrows are the hardest thing to weapon check. So if anything this should be added. Its mostly the hit test; because ive heard and read that arrows should be tested to the face; while i feel the backs safer to test first. Might take twice as long. But hey! My opinion.

Ok now that my rambling is done i have to say again nice job! I thought it was done very well. Congratulations for being the first (that i've seen) to even attempt something like this. It'll definitely makes things easier in the long run!
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Kage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:35 pm

Blitz(IG) wrote: Its mostly the hit test; because ive heard and read that arrows should be tested to the face; while i feel the backs safer to test first.

I have to agree with you. While it would be nice to find a broken arrow quicker with testing to the face because it is more sensitive; I don't want to take someone to the hospital with an arrow stuck in it. So yeah back are MUCH safer.

I will look into maybe adding something like a weapons check guide through out the Appendix A section. Good thought thanks Blitz.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Blitz. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Arrows are the most dangerous so i feel like they should go through the most testing. Maybe back tests first, and if they feel fine, take them to the face, if it hits you back and feels iffy, think if you would take it to the face, if not, fail it?

Although i know weapon checkers want to go through things quickly so maybe have a rotation system. One herald checking arrows by hand, then passing them to the next checker, who shoots at the back of a fighter, if the arrow passes, you then have a group of 4 for the next stage of testing. 3 people getting shot to the face, one herald shooting. That way if it hurts the back, it'll definitely hurt the face, so it should fail IMO. I personally wouldn't want an arrow in my eye/skull, and i normally offer to be tested with the dangerous stuff haha.

Just a thought. Glad i could help!

EDIT: Maybe at Chaos wars this year, you get 3 heralds to go over the basics of Weapon Checking. Shields, Swords, Etc. And then post it on you tube? It'd be helpful, Epically since Chaos is a big(bigger) event, it'd definitely make becoming a weapon checker/herald a *LITTLE* easier.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Kage » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:16 pm

There are a couple videos up already but I will talk to the event coordinators ands some of the checkers to see about making some perhaps.
Kage
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Blitz. » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Ah, i didnt know there were already videos posted. Well with the videos we do have maybe we should have them stickied or something? Showing these are correct methods?

FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Boss Kaptin Miikie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:12 am

Chaos is comming up soon if you want vids talk to par and karion pars head check and karion and lady gary usually cover arrows we have so meany arrows checked every day for a range of things that would be a good place to get a tutorial I think were doing classes on wepons check and heralding don't know yet par hasn't got back to me but for tutorials opportunitys that would be a very good resource
Boss Kaptain Miikie The Voice Of Gruumsh
Red Hand Shaman | Western Uruk-Hai | Red Hand Tribe
Prophet of the Red Back Hand
Aquilonia Realm V.P. | Justicar
Boss Kaptin Miikie
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 1999
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glave, polarm, spear
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Blitz. » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:20 am

Arrows are one of the things im most sketchy about checking, one person their the most expensive, and the most dangerous IMO. I'd really like to see a video of someone Explaining in Depth about how to check arrows.

And like i said before, if there are such videos, maybe start a sticky in the Heralding section of How-to-Check Videos.

FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Reverend » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 am

Blitz(IG) wrote:Arrows are one of the things im most sketchy about checking, one person their the most expensive, and the most dangerous IMO. I'd really like to see a video of someone Explaining in Depth about how to check arrows.

And like i said before, if there are such videos, maybe start a sticky in the Heralding section of How-to-Check Videos.

Show up at Battle of Sword Coast in time for weapon check and I'd be more than happy to show you how it's done.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kael Prime » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 am

Blitz(IG) wrote:I thought it was done rather while. Nice job!

My two cents is maybe adding go the BoW in general is adding a "how to weapon check" section. Most weapon checks are rather self explanatory. I personally believe arrows are the hardest thing to weapon check. So if anything this should be added. Its mostly the hit test; because ive heard and read that arrows should be tested to the face; while i feel the backs safer to test first. Might take twice as long. But hey! My opinion.

Ok now that my rambling is done i have to say again nice job! I thought it was done very well. Congratulations for being the first (that i've seen) to even attempt something like this. It'll definitely makes things easier in the long run!

Dude like I told you yesterday its not hard. You check for twist, plug, fletchings(at least 2 on the arrow) knocks(if the knock is good), you check the draw stop, then you check the bow.Than you fire test it. Here is an intstruction video.And unless this video is wrong than I stand corrected. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3311564142
Fifth Knight of the Western Flame.
Knight of Ren of The Sith Empire .
Shadow master of Sunspear
The Pale Demon
The Original Silverhelm
Kael Prime
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2010
Unit: The Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Kungfu S&B

Postby No'Vak » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:19 am

I love Bhakdar's videos.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Karion D'Learive » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:37 pm

Best way to check an arrow is to show up at CW and have either Dawraith or Sir Diomedes teach you how to check it thoroughly.
Karion D'Learive
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 1997
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Return to Marshalling/Heralding