Arrow Checking Question

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Arrow Checking Question

Postby Horati OTFH » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 am

So, my question with arrow checking, what do you guys do for a normal arrow check? Just curious what every else does.
Knighted under Sir Diomedes at Chaos Wars 18
First Knight of the Frost Hills
Horati OTFH
Warrior
Warrior

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Arrow Checking Question

Postby Koom Di' Puts » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am

well since no one else has posted yet, I'll start.
Check for head wobble (making sure it is attached is always a +)
Check the compression rate of the foam by slappin it a few times
does the foam roll too much?
does it pass the template
Make sure there are at least 2 fletchings
is there a drawstop ?
Shoot it at someone
Koom Di' Puts
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2000
Realm: Dur D
Unit: Secret
Favorite Fighting Styles: Koom

Postby Blitz. » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 am

Koom Di' Puts wrote:well since no one else has posted yet, I'll start.
Check for head wobble (making sure it is attached is always a +)
Check the compression rate of the foam by slappin it a few times
does the foam roll too much?
does it pass the template
Make sure there are at least 2 fletchings
is there a drawstop ?
Shoot it at someone

Heres my question to you, since arrows are Face allowwed weapons, do you test solely on the face of a fighter, or test on the back THEN face, or Back only??

This is something i'd personally like to know. Because what feels fine on the back could defintely hurt on the face, and also another reason im curious is because arrows are the most dangerous part.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms

Postby Kyrian » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am

Blitz(IG) wrote:
Heres my question to you, since arrows are Face allowwed weapons, do you test solely on the face of a fighter, or test on the back THEN face, or Back only??

This is something i'd personally like to know. Because what feels fine on the back could defintely hurt on the face, and also another reason im curious is because arrows are the most dangerous part.

While I've heard of realms testing arrows to the face, pretty much every place and event I've been to checks arrows the way Koom described. You first check for construction flaws and if there are any, then the arrow never gets to the hit test. Ideally, the hit test should be a double-blind system where one person is shot in the back with an arrow and if the tester feels the arrow is bad, it is tested by the other one. If it fails both testers, then the arrow is failed. Also, people need to be rotated out as their backs get sore. Usually I give them the following guideline if they've never been a back before: Ask yourself if you'd feel comfortable getting shot in the face with that arrow. Typically, the ones that fail the hit test most often are the ones I call "baby fists" or pistons. What's essentially happening is that the open cell compresses far too fast allowing the arrow to go directly to the inner can without slowing the arrow down enough to lessen the impact.

To answer your question, how would you feel if you had at least 20 arrows shot at full draw at your face at 15'? In battle, over the course of the day, it's unpleasant but generally not too bad. But to get that many in a row at minimum safe distance for testing and not on the field? I'll pass. Since hit testing tends to be subjective and we are also trying to keep our arrow testers safe, the back (with the consideration of whether the hit would be safe to the face) is a reasonable analog. There is always the possibility that an arrow that passes the construction test may still fail on the hit test and I'd feel much better about those arrows hitting someone in the back than in the face.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Blitz. » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm

Kyrian wrote:
Blitz(IG) wrote:

While I've heard of realms testing arrows to the face, pretty much every place and event I've been to checks arrows the way Koom described. You first check for construction flaws and if there are any, then the arrow never gets to the hit test. Ideally, the hit test should be a double-blind system where one person is shot in the back with an arrow and if the tester feels the arrow is bad, it is tested by the other one. If it fails both testers, then the arrow is failed. Also, people need to be rotated out as their backs get sore. Usually I give them the following guideline if they've never been a back before: Ask yourself if you'd feel comfortable getting shot in the face with that arrow. Typically, the ones that fail the hit test most often are the ones I call "baby fists" or pistons. What's essentially happening is that the open cell compresses far too fast allowing the arrow to go directly to the inner can without slowing the arrow down enough to lessen the impact.

To answer your question, how would you feel if you had at least 20 arrows shot at full draw at your face at 15'? In battle, over the course of the day, it's unpleasant but generally not too bad. But to get that many in a row at minimum safe distance for testing and not on the field? I'll pass. Since hit testing tends to be subjective and we are also trying to keep our arrow testers safe, the back (with the consideration of whether the hit would be safe to the face) is a reasonable analog. There is always the possibility that an arrow that passes the construction test may still fail on the hit test and I'd feel much better about those arrows hitting someone in the back than in the face.

Thank you very much, I watched a video on arrow checking and i think i confused the "head butting" of the arrow to shooting the arrow at ones face. Misunderstanding, but live and learn. Questions never hurt with how-to's with weapon checking.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms

Postby Calarn the Black » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm

To add to Koom's list, measure the length of the placement of the drawstop to the knock of the arrow.
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Marshalling/Heralding