It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:43 am


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 am 
Warrior
Warrior
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:52 pm
Posts: 716
Location: Lots of Places
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
So, my question with arrow checking, what do you guys do for a normal arrow check? Just curious what every else does.

_________________
Knighted under Sir Diomedes at Chaos Wars 18
First Knight of the Frost Hills


Top
 OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:31 am 
Bandit
Bandit

Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:20 am
Posts: 471
Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2000
Realm: Dur D
Unit: Secret
Favorite Fighting Styles: Koom
well since no one else has posted yet, I'll start.
Check for head wobble (making sure it is attached is always a +)
Check the compression rate of the foam by slappin it a few times
does the foam roll too much?
does it pass the template
Make sure there are at least 2 fletchings
is there a drawstop ?
Shoot it at someone

_________________
?
http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Koom_Di%27_puts


Top
 OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:17 am 
Monkey
Monkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Fresno, California
Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Koom Di' Puts wrote:
well since no one else has posted yet, I'll start.
Check for head wobble (making sure it is attached is always a +)
Check the compression rate of the foam by slappin it a few times
does the foam roll too much?
does it pass the template
Make sure there are at least 2 fletchings
is there a drawstop ?
Shoot it at someone


Heres my question to you, since arrows are Face allowwed weapons, do you test solely on the face of a fighter, or test on the back THEN face, or Back only??

This is something i'd personally like to know. Because what feels fine on the back could defintely hurt on the face, and also another reason im curious is because arrows are the most dangerous part.

_________________
Koom Di' Puts wrote:
And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote:
I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:
And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:
[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB


Top
 OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:57 am 
Hero
Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:52 pm
Posts: 1528
Location: Arcadia, CA
Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Blitz(IG) wrote:

Heres my question to you, since arrows are Face allowwed weapons, do you test solely on the face of a fighter, or test on the back THEN face, or Back only??

This is something i'd personally like to know. Because what feels fine on the back could defintely hurt on the face, and also another reason im curious is because arrows are the most dangerous part.


While I've heard of realms testing arrows to the face, pretty much every place and event I've been to checks arrows the way Koom described. You first check for construction flaws and if there are any, then the arrow never gets to the hit test. Ideally, the hit test should be a double-blind system where one person is shot in the back with an arrow and if the tester feels the arrow is bad, it is tested by the other one. If it fails both testers, then the arrow is failed. Also, people need to be rotated out as their backs get sore. Usually I give them the following guideline if they've never been a back before: Ask yourself if you'd feel comfortable getting shot in the face with that arrow. Typically, the ones that fail the hit test most often are the ones I call "baby fists" or pistons. What's essentially happening is that the open cell compresses far too fast allowing the arrow to go directly to the inner can without slowing the arrow down enough to lessen the impact.

To answer your question, how would you feel if you had at least 20 arrows shot at full draw at your face at 15'? In battle, over the course of the day, it's unpleasant but generally not too bad. But to get that many in a row at minimum safe distance for testing and not on the field? I'll pass. Since hit testing tends to be subjective and we are also trying to keep our arrow testers safe, the back (with the consideration of whether the hit would be safe to the face) is a reasonable analog. There is always the possibility that an arrow that passes the construction test may still fail on the hit test and I'd feel much better about those arrows hitting someone in the back than in the face.

_________________
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy


Top
 OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm 
Monkey
Monkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Fresno, California
Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Kyrian wrote:
Blitz(IG) wrote:

Heres my question to you, since arrows are Face allowwed weapons, do you test solely on the face of a fighter, or test on the back THEN face, or Back only??

This is something i'd personally like to know. Because what feels fine on the back could defintely hurt on the face, and also another reason im curious is because arrows are the most dangerous part.


While I've heard of realms testing arrows to the face, pretty much every place and event I've been to checks arrows the way Koom described. You first check for construction flaws and if there are any, then the arrow never gets to the hit test. Ideally, the hit test should be a double-blind system where one person is shot in the back with an arrow and if the tester feels the arrow is bad, it is tested by the other one. If it fails both testers, then the arrow is failed. Also, people need to be rotated out as their backs get sore. Usually I give them the following guideline if they've never been a back before: Ask yourself if you'd feel comfortable getting shot in the face with that arrow. Typically, the ones that fail the hit test most often are the ones I call "baby fists" or pistons. What's essentially happening is that the open cell compresses far too fast allowing the arrow to go directly to the inner can without slowing the arrow down enough to lessen the impact.

To answer your question, how would you feel if you had at least 20 arrows shot at full draw at your face at 15'? In battle, over the course of the day, it's unpleasant but generally not too bad. But to get that many in a row at minimum safe distance for testing and not on the field? I'll pass. Since hit testing tends to be subjective and we are also trying to keep our arrow testers safe, the back (with the consideration of whether the hit would be safe to the face) is a reasonable analog. There is always the possibility that an arrow that passes the construction test may still fail on the hit test and I'd feel much better about those arrows hitting someone in the back than in the face.


Thank you very much, I watched a video on arrow checking and i think i confused the "head butting" of the arrow to shooting the arrow at ones face. Misunderstanding, but live and learn. Questions never hurt with how-to's with weapon checking.

_________________
Koom Di' Puts wrote:
And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote:
I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:
And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:
[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB


Top
 OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Arrow Checking Question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 pm 
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:35 pm
Posts: 2169
Location: Tir Asleen
Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
To add to Koom's list, measure the length of the placement of the drawstop to the knock of the arrow.

_________________
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen


Top
 OfflineProfile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
GuildWarsAlliance Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net. Modified by