Tournament Sideline Etiquette

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Tournament Sideline Etiquette

Postby Teej » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:09 pm

Just curious...

What's the proper etiquette for non-herald shot-calling on the sidelines during a tournament?

I won't name which self-important individual or what ancient non-Belegarth super realm they came from... nor their prestigious unit... Anyway, they came to this event bringing cross-game animosity and unwanted politics with them - carrying a snot attitude and swollen self-image; pretty much **** on any local who was not in their national unit the whole time.

One particular individual decided to call two shots from the sidelines that were not even facing them and decided to interrupt the flow of the tournament to dispute one of said calls... confused the guys, confused the 70ish people watching. Heralding said tournament, I indirectly told them to shut the **** up - I saw what I saw and I was confident in my call - I repeated the call I made in a louder more authoritative voice and everything else went as planned.

But honestly, I've never had that happen before and it kinda took me by surprise. I was just curious if this was a * move on their part or legit. Based on my common sense and the way they carried themselves the whole event, they were just being chodes IMO.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Re: Tournament Sideline Etiquette

Postby Thorondor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:01 pm

I see bad calls all the time in baseball and football. Doesn't mean I stop the flow of the game to argue with the refs about it...I just yell at the TV and the game keeps going.

They're being a *.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Samhain Crawford » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:46 pm

That is a seriously **** move. If you want to call shots, put on a herald's tabard. Other wise, unless the herald asks, "Hey I didn't get a clear view on that, did anyone see?" (which, frankly, the herald should probably never do) stfu and let them get on with things.
Samhain Crawford
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2004
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: All- Sword & Board right now

Postby warwell » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:50 pm

The only people who should be calling shots are the participants, if they believe they were hit, or the heralds. Spectators should not. Sounds like you did the right thing.

YIS,
Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Blackhawk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:45 pm

Minor heckling is tolerable, but shot calling and disrupting a tournament is not. Too often the people who are calling shots from the sidelines are anything but unbiased. I have watched fights sitting next to people who seem to be watching an entirely different match than I am. They point to cheating that never happened and call shots that were clearly blocked, ect... I would say human nature, but I and many others, seem to be able to accept it when friends lose a fight, so I am still baffled by it.

Either way, that's pretty rude. Anytime you are visiting another game or even a field that is not your own, you should not be acting that way. You really should be on your best behavior as you are representing your home group.

I am glad you didn't point out the groups they came from, that is a level of class they clearly did not show you.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Teej » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Well, I'm not trying to sling mud at all. I was just as descriptive as I was to set the mood for how they presented themselves. I was grateful they came down - maybe they expected more than 75, maybe they made a striaght drive and were just tired, I don't know... it really does not give them an excuse to come stomp on our ground, but at the same time - it's done and over with. I just wanted a clarification.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Return to Marshalling/Heralding