Handling a fighter that hits too hard

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Handling a fighter that hits too hard

Postby Haardgrim » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:22 am

Hi all,

What do you do with fighters who hit too hard? One of basics of Belegarth is that you don't have to hold back, but we got a guy last fall who hits crazy hard. He hit several of us so hard we had to stop fighting for a bit to get over it, yet he didn't consider the shots hard. He wasn't angry or out to get anybody, it was just his natural strength and/or hitting style. He wasn't doing baseball bat swings, either, he was really fast as well.

How do you handle geniunely dangerously hard hitters and still claim that pulling shots is not required?

Thanks,
-Hårdgrim Bonebreaker of Monachium
In or around Munich, Germany? Come fight us! (No German required)
Haardgrim
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-1998
Realm: Monachium

Re: Handling a fighter that hits too hard

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:03 pm

My first reaction to getting hit really hard is to question the equipment and the circumstances, not the fighter.

I've never had an issue like this where it hasn't been one of those two. Either the shot landed in a tender area (e.g., the inside of the thigh, the top of the shoulder in the brachial plexus, at the end of a piece of armor, etc.), or the sword was starting to fail and had passed check as "unfriendly, but not dangerous" and then got into the hands of someone that was hitting harder than the weapons checkers.

If you feel like the fighter is a danger to others, consider making him or encouraging him to get a sword that has better padding. If that doesn't solve the problem, then start teaching him more advanced techniques concerning his body mechanics. He will start to naturally focus more on the accuracy and technique behind his shots, rather than relying on brute force.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Brutus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:41 am

My first thought as well was maybe the weapon wasn't very safe. There's almost no way to verify that from over here though so I'll just address what can be addressed:

I tell our guys that they always have the right to swing as hard as they want. They can sneak up behind an archer and crank them as hard as they want and that is within the rules. However, if you are really out here to have fun with friends, why would you ever do that? This is a different case of course, but the point you should focus on with this guy is maybe he should reserve swinging 100% for when that's the only way he can score a hit.

Haardgrim, you know my background. I can bring the pain when I want to, but I'm also a skill-fighter more than a crusher, like I used to be. I have found it is FAR more effective to use the last 6" of a sword like an artist using a paintbrush. These days, I'm probably not even in the top 5 in my realm as far as how hard I hit on average. If you pull your shot, and your elbow is already moving backwards before the tip of the sword has even hit, not only will the tip of the sword move faster (like a whip), but your arm will already be moving out of danger and you will be able to reset for the next shot sooner.

Perhaps if you can train this guy to reserve that style of swing for a few rare occasions, not only will he be more effective, but it will result in a more enjoyable experience for everyone in the realm. He seems like he must be athletic, so he should be able to pick it up with some practice.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby varadin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:01 am

my advice would be check the weapons, as everyone else has said it could possible be a borderline weapon in most peoples hands, in his its a fail. All weapons on the field need to be safe in everyone's hands, so there's a good chance you may have to get a bit more strict on your weapons check.

Second what type of weapon is he using? Is it a red? is it a solid fiberglass? whats the build like? All of these are factors, one of the hardest hitters I know forces himself to use kitespar 12 ounce swords since he was hurting too many people with standard solid fiberglass cores.

Other then that as long as he is playing safe (no head shots, not purposely hitting hands) there isn't much you can do but ask him to tone it down. If he is unable to maybe because of either previous training or just adrenalin, you might need to point him to another game. It sucks to see someone go, and i seriously doubt he will be forced too, but it always a chance.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Return to Marshalling/Heralding