When should Armageddon IV be held?

June
52%
July
48%

Total votes : 85

VOTE Armageddon IV Dates

Postby Sofie » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:48 pm

I see a debate going, it makes sense to have a poll!

Let your voice be heard!

personally, I concur with many others in moving it to July.

Sofie
You'll have a smart attack at Sofie's Learning Shack!
Sofie
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Zaknafein » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:51 pm

I say june. To much seems to go on in July for me.
Your screwing this cat....I'm just holding the head.
Zaknafein
Goat
Goat

Started Fighting: 1- 6- 0
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Goat
Favorite Fighting Styles: All

Postby Ricket » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:39 pm

Hells yeah July...the hotter the better.
Ricket
Brute
Brute

Postby Squire Horati » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:29 pm

july i think would be better because its closer to school dates so i have a lot of fun then go to hell i mean school
"I can't protect you without holding a sword. I can't embrace you while holding a sword."-Ichigo
Will Google For Sorcia
Squire to Sir Elkar
ZANGETSU!
Squire Horati
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Sofie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:56 am

bump
Sofie
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Tobias » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:17 am

I'm all about moving it to July, considering that next summer I'll be taking some classes to get them out of the way, as well as other random things. That, and it'll give me that little extra time to get money, garb, weapons, people, etc. rounded up and figured out.
If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, then study hard and be evil!
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Obryn » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:01 am

There's another poll online that I made... I know I, for one, am worried more about the effects on attendance rather than just an idea of personal preference. Please go over there and place your votes. :)

-O
Keeper Obryn Stoneshield
Chaplain - Brotherhood of the Falcon
Obryn
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Jikanta » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:28 pm

Summer War 2005 is scheduled for the last weekend in July, it would really hurt our event to have Armageddon in the same month.
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Sofie » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:22 pm

I just think Geddon needs to be farther spaced from Rag. I figured July would be good since nothing seems to happen in July, but now it might be a bit of a problem for summerwar.
June always has more rain than July, and the last few years in Illinois have not had much of a difference in heat between the 2 months. We barely had any days in the 90's last year, and same goes for this year so far. I still think early July is still a better idea then too early in June. Recent years have had rainy, cold weather in early June.

If there could at least be a week separating Ragnarock and Armageddon I think that would help somewhat with attendance; not as much as a month spaced apart, but it's something.

I think if we have it early enough in July, then it shouldn't conflict with Summerwar too much, which is a weekend event.
Besides, it's great when events are closer together, then I can leave a lot of my stuff in the car until the next event!

Sofie
Sofie
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Xooyan » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:40 pm

Part of the problem for Western attendance has always been the mid June dates. Lots of western schools are on the quarter system and don't let out until the middle of June at the earliest. Moving Arm to the very end of June or the first part of July would boost attendance from Western realms.

Xooyan
Xooyan

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:58 pm

Ok I'm going to sound like a total * for saying this, and I mean no offense what-so-ever if it is taken that way, but I feel this topic should be included. I understand the Summer Wars is very important event (hell I'm trying my damndest to get out there this summer), but since Armageddon is THE nationally recognized event (other than Chaos Wars), shouldn't it be put before any of the realm events? While it may cause a downturn in Summer Wars numbers, I thought the point was to increase Geddon numbers, making sure the most people from across the country (and globe eventually) would get together for a full week event. Most people try to make it to Geddon because it is a nationally recognized event, whereas those who can make it to Summer Wars try to because it is kicks *.

Just a few cents to throw into the kitty.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Jikanta » Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:15 pm

I agree that Armageddon is more important than Summer War. At the same time, Armageddon has always in the past been in June, so silly me, I figured it would be ok to reserve the Summer War camp in July.

What if we have Armageddon during the last week of June? Would that work for everyone?
Jikanta

Postby faline » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:38 pm

June is a GREAT time to fight. Have any of you actually BEEN to an event during July? I had three bouts of heat stroke at Rag XVII, July 7-14, and it was horrible. Considering the Rag site is in a valley, therefore cooler and less humid, I'd hate to think of what could happen if the climate at Forest Glen had a month to warm up.

If you look at the people who attended both Geddon and Rag, you'll notice about 15 names. And, from my point of view, those people will not be going back to Rag. People go to Geddon because they like the attitude and the people. I couldn't care less if Rag and Geddon were scheduled the same week because I know the people that I'll enjoy fighting will be going to Geddon. The argument that people need time to go to both is useless. Armageddon is the better event.

With that said, I vote for June again. It's worked so far.
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Veteran Sergeant Chaplain Faline, Esq. Retired

It's warm in the Pod.
---Frmr. Lt. Rimmer Dahl
faline
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 May 2001
Realm: Wolfpack
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

TurboGlaive

Postby Filth » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:45 pm

It's harder for me to get vacation time in July, since more people I work with are taking time off then. If it were in July I might not be able to get the whole week off.
Filth
Brotherhood of the Falcon - Retired
I find there are few problems in life so big they can't be solved through hubris and the sweat of other people.
Filth
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Colin » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:13 pm

Faline wrote:If you look at the people who attended both Geddon and Rag, you'll notice about 15 names. And, from my point of view, those people will not be going back to Rag.

No doubt. I went to both, and this Rag totally crushed any desire I ever had to have anything to do with dagorhir ever again. It was the worst event I've ever been to in my entire foam fighting career, by leaps and bounds. That said, I have nothing to conflict with June, so keep it there.
"Akbar the Foul - 1st strike anything illegal (treason) "
Colin
Little Noodly Guy
Little Noodly Guy

Unit: BOF

Postby gorem » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:31 pm

why not just hold it the same week as rag, the way I see it no matter what week ARM is held on we will still be compiting with people who want to atttend both but can only chose 1 so if we do it the same week people dont have 2 things to decide ( which group, and which week) they only decide hum do I like dag or belegarth better
Est Sularus oth Mithas - My Honor is My Life
gorem
Scout
Scout

Postby GvK » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:19 am

Let's see, I'm biased being one of the ancient Aratari, but it was (of course) the largest Ragnarok and probably foam fighting event ever with 696 paying participants. Anyhow, like many things, it comes down to a balance of "quality" versus "quantity" in 2 dimensions: fighting, and socializing/partying. Sin night at Rag pretty much did not happen which was not cool IMO, but with well over 500 people in camp, it was easy to find a good time. I think we fielded well over 300 people on the field on Saturday, but clearly, Rag has a HIGH percentage of non-combatants (compared to 'geddon). So, if you like the "style and attitude" of Belegarth fighting much more than Rag/Dag, and numbers are much less important, than it would make sense to schedule it whenever the hell you want it and the heck with those that want to go to Rag. If you want more fighters at 'geddon, than moving it further from Rag might make more sense. Same probably holds for the partying.

Addendum: I stand corrected on the foam fighting and numbers thing, I suppose Amtgard has to be considered a form of foam fighting :roll:
Last edited by GvK on Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby Winfang » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:22 am

The Gathering of the Clans run by Amtgard is the largest boffer event with over a 1000 participants.

Hey GVK, you should make it out to Octoberfest and check out the Belegarth style and attitude of fighting. We'll field well over 300 fighters and it'll be a hell of a time.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby panda mime » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:13 am

Colin wrote:
Faline wrote:If you look at the people who attended both Geddon and Rag, you'll notice about 15 names. And, from my point of view, those people will not be going back to Rag.

No doubt. I went to both, and this Rag totally crushed any desire I ever had to have anything to do with dagorhir ever again. It was the worst event I've ever been to in my entire foam fighting career, by leaps and bounds. That said, I have nothing to conflict with June, so keep it there.

i was astonished as well. correct me if i'm wrong but the fighting seemed to last all of 3 hours each day (with constant halts.) It was just so different. On any given day geddon had more fighters on the field and for more hours. Except saturday when there was a lot of people on the field, but that was only for a hour or so.
panda mime
Killer Panda

Postby Jikanta » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:54 am

Are you kidding? I fought like all day long on Saturday at Arm, and I wasn't fighting by myself ...
Jikanta

Postby GvK » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:22 am

I have to at least partially disagree with you Lyric, in that I went to the last 3 days of fighting at Rag. Thursday was Sloth/tournament day so there was no massive field fights by design. But Friday and Saturday were huge. The Minas Tirith scenario had almost 100 Arartari alone and probably close to 250 fighters on the field. The first Minas Tirith battle was intense and LONG and ultimately a draw by the end of the time limit. Of course, the Aratari won it the second time as the attackers in 5 or so minutes 8) There were also other field battles with well over 200 fighters on the field so given the known attendance of Arm, I think you cannot back those claims up by a long shot. The attendance of Saturday for fighters was certainly over 300. Don't believe me, check out the excellent pix by Zagref at:http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v288/zagref/Rag%2019/? and compare. YES, the fighting had more than its fair share of holds and only lasted 3-4 hours at the organized level. BUT, there were continuous pick up fights with upwards of 50 per side going on for hours after the scheduled main fights ended and that was some of the best fighting.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Glaive
Archery

Postby panda mime » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:50 am

Jikanta wrote:Are you kidding? I fought like all day long on Saturday at Arm, and I wasn't fighting by myself ...

i was speaking of rag.

tuesday and wednesday were rather light with the largest battles being scenarios that i don't care much for such as boat n' bridge battles that were tedious and full of annoying holds. thursday or "sloth" day (which seemed to be every day considering fighting started so late and ended so early) had NO battles whatsoever; only tournies! I was overcome with a state of culture shock. i must say, i did have fun with all the da, hellhammer, brotherhood, and various other peeps in the battles on saturday in the afternoon but they didn't seem to break 50 in the hours i was out there... i agree, GvK, that there were more people on the field on the weekend (I had to work friday and therefore it was absent from my comparison) but it was for such a short period of time... people just didn't seem to have any passion. geddon had battles bigger that the fun pickup and cooldown battles at rag, smaller than the massive peak battles from saturday (when the field was too small,) but the people fight longer, harder, and a higher amout (not just percentage) seem to care.
but hey, what do i know?
regardless, if you were out there on saturday afternoon fighting GvK, it was fun fighting with you. :)
panda mime
Killer Panda

Postby GvK » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:51 am

Cool (or is it "kewl" these days)? The problem, of course, is the bigger the battles get, the more heralds are needed, the later it starts, and more holds are called (no excuse for ending early though!). Its inevitable to some extent. That's why I think the best fighting at Rag were the pick-ups that ranged from 1-on-1 to 50-on-50. At one point, my buddy Auric and I fought with a bunch of Darkon guys who come to Aratari events (and Rag), and we fought maybe 25-30 two-team fights (about 6-10 per side) in an hour--it was grueling but a blast. Also, the pick-up fights with Triad (and others) on Friday after the main fighting were a lot of fun and went on for a few hours. I was not at Rag for the fighting on Monday-Wednesday.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Glaive
Archery

Postby Crynolyn » Sat Jul 03, 2004 4:00 pm

My 2 cents.... This year's Rag had far more themed "castle" and bridge battles than other years. It really annoyed me too. Many people have complained about it on the Dag board, so it looks like the organizers are aware, and hopefully they will hold more field battles in the future. People have also complained about the amount of Holds. It was ridiculous this year.

The other 2 rag's that I went to had better fighting than this year. Weapons check closed by noon ( if I remember correctly.) So most of the fighters were ready earlier, and I seem to remember Rome & the Gestiguiste marching out earlier in the day as well. This year the fighters were unusually slow about getting onto the field.

Other years had better organized evening events as well.

I'm sorry that you guys didn't have fun at Rag. I'm actually very disappointed myself. But please don't judge the entire sport off of one event, with 700 people, run by first time organizers.

Sincerely, Crynolyn
Crynolyn
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Oct 1999
Realm: Geek Fight Club
Unit: Dark Angels

Postby panda mime » Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:35 pm

cryn, you know i still had fun. :)
panda mime
Killer Panda

Postby Sir Cairbre » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:59 am

Is someone going to set a date for Armageddon?
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Colin » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:48 am

June plz.
Don't be swayed by people that say they'd come, but it's too close to rag, they won't come anyway no matter when you have it. (99% of those at least).
"Akbar the Foul - 1st strike anything illegal (treason) "
Colin
Little Noodly Guy
Little Noodly Guy

Unit: BOF

Postby Remus » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:20 am

Colin wrote:

I concur wholeheartedly.I was there....It sucked ballz.
Captain to House Dregoth
HKK:Official Bun Inspector

Trample the weak.
Hurdle the dead.
Remus
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 17 Aug 2000
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Combat Archer

Return to Past Armageddons