Should swearing be allowed?

Webpage and Web Board Stuff

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Should swearing be allowed or not?

Swearing in moderation should be allowed.
86%
Swearing should not be allowed at all.
14%

Total votes : 107

Should swearing be allowed?

Postby Jikanta » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:49 pm

A certain someone sent me a private message and he believes swearing on the board should be disallowed. The current rule is that swearing in moderation is allowed (perhaps to demonstrate a point?), but excessive swearing is strongly frowned upon. What does everyone else think?
Last edited by Jikanta on Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Andrek » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:22 pm

I abstain a vote. I believe that anything on a PGish level is good for anyone to read, but when you get into heavier language that is when other people (especially parents) frown upon it. Just my thoughts. My vote is Yes if you keep it at a PGish level
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby Thorondor » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:26 pm

I think in moderation swearing should be allowed. We always have and the way we moderate the board gives people room to behave like themselves without being (for lack of better word) "trapped" by the moderators. If someone's post is really out of line they can take it to the DA board and the board can add in more words for them.

If we take away all swearing, then we might end up taking away flames, then take away saying the names of other groups...yea you see where it's going.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Winfang » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:49 am

F*** is not needed and should be block in non-private forums.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Wed Apr 30, 2003 9:18 am

**** that.
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Keyboard cowboy.

Postby wraith » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:05 pm

there only words
wraith
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Owen » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:15 pm

Only words that parents will be seeing on our website, and that could make them not want their kids involved with us because of it. IMO
You might have thought me vain, however that is not the truth, no my friend, I see myself as more or less your equal, well from the waste up at any rate, but I am just going on what your girlfriend told me so...
Owen
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 23 Jul 1984
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Order of Tauren
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Jikanta » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:15 pm

In my opinion, any kid that's old enough to find our board and read our swearing has probably already been exposed to swearing at school and on TV, and since 95% of the voters thing swearing should be allowed in moderation, the rule will stay the way it has always been.
Jikanta

Postby Sonus » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:20 pm

Swearing in moderation is cool, I think we are all mature enough to handle it and if you aren't then why are you even fighting?
Sonus
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn

Postby Thorondor » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:50 pm

Oh, if we are going to ditch swearing (I doubt so, but still) we MIGHT want to ditch this :fingers:

~?~
~The laughing~

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jikanta » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:55 pm

Smartass :finger:
Jikanta

Postby Ora » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:52 pm

True, Jikanta... it's one of the reasons that Lotek and I don't get weirded out about Squoosh hearing people cuss... in fact, it's now her new statement, "go ahead and say it, I've already heard it." For the most part, however, it's not the matter of the kids reading it but their parents. People know that not everyone is perfect, but getting far too carried away with language "just because we can" doesn't necessarily mean that we should. This is only a suggestion, but perhaps we could have somewhat of a warning about the General Mayhem area that there may be use of language that isn't suitable for children. Or, by doing that are we inviting kids to look through for discussions with those words? I dunno... I guess my take on it is a bit warped. I'm trying to see both sides of it. We can't protect kids from everything, but I don't think we should get too carried away "just because we can."
Yes, Ora is sorta wishy-washy.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Blin Nightwisp » Thu May 01, 2003 8:39 am

I belive it is more of a role-playing matter. Would elves use such foul language? Are orcs smart enuff to know what the words mean? If you want to play in character, you have to now that cuss words are very modern and shouldnt be used.
"Some people are like slinkys, good for nothing, but fun to watch fall down stairs."-Somebody
Blin Nightwisp
Underling
Underling

Postby Ora » Thu May 01, 2003 9:08 am

And exactly how much and where have you been seeing this characterization on this or the old board (other than the Roleplay area)? ;)
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Thorondor » Thu May 01, 2003 9:15 am

Blin Nightwisp wrote:I belive it is more of a role-playing matter.

You do that then :) We're talking about everyday use in posts and stuff. Look at Joe's post above, but not in mockery of language, but just actual use for something to say.

That f****** sucks. <-- about an idea instead of that idea sucks.

Stuff like that is what we're talking about. Hope it helps clear i up Blin.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Andrek » Thu May 01, 2003 11:55 am

I fully agree with Winfang and Thorondor. F*** should be blocked in non private forums. I think all the others in moderation should be allowed (don't want to upset to many people). I would ask for the sake of conservative peeps that we do this will all language. Just an idea.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

hmm

Postby fading » Thu May 01, 2003 12:21 pm

so if 95% of the board said it was cool to rape * girls then we should allow it?

voting is bad
fading
Hero
Hero

Postby Jikanta » Thu May 01, 2003 12:28 pm

I can't block words in certain forums, I have to either block a word on the whole board, or not at all.

I think this line of discussion is silly. Parents aren't going to disallow their kids from fighting because there's a little swearing in the game. There's swearing everywhere, and personally I like being able to use swear words to demonstrate my **** point, or to show when I'm **** *.

I don't want this board to turn into a **** nursery like the Dagorhir board is, where you can't post **** without getting edited or banned.

Kids already swear. I knew every swear word in the book by the time I was 10, and I didn't even go to public school. It doesn't matter if they or their parents read a few swear words on a web board!

Come on you guys! Don't turn into a bunch of pussies!
Jikanta

Postby Thorondor » Thu May 01, 2003 12:30 pm

Um....fading...that would fall under the illegal stuff. Don't be an idiot.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sonus » Thu May 01, 2003 12:35 pm

werd....those emoticons are cool....care to tell me how to do em?
Sonus
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn

Postby Thorondor » Thu May 01, 2003 12:38 pm

When you go to post they are on the left. If you click on "View more Emoticons" you will get a pop-up window with more of them.
:knight:

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Andrek » Thu May 01, 2003 12:58 pm

It does not matter if you think they will or won't J. I have had many parents that have looked at the boards with me and do not appreciate the amount of vulgarity on the boards. It does push people away. I am not saying there needs to be a complete ban. That would discourage alot of prople from posting, but I feel that people should sensor their words (ESPECIALLY ABOVE A PG LEVEL) on their own. I would like to see it moderated by a group as to when the level of language gets to be too much. Once again I know that it expresses emotion to put up that kind of language, but you get the same feeling across by putting F***. I believe that this is the way it should be. Personal opnion. I would really appreciate any positive and negative thoughts on this from anyone.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Cidion » Thu May 01, 2003 1:01 pm

Well put J. I mean we should be able to police ourselves a little and take responsibility for our own actions. I agree with being able to use the right word in the right situation. It is one way to make sure others know that you are emphasizing a certain point.

If a parent does see the word "****" and is offended and does not want her little baby to be around people who use this language. Then we probably don't need to have her little baby on the field with the possibility of hearing something bad. Or, worse yet what if her baby got hit too hard.

We are who we are. Let people judge us, if they choose. All I know is that this is one great **** group of people and I am glad to be a part of it.
Sir Cidion the Savage, Knight of Dunharrow
Sgt. Cidion of House Dregoth and Knight of the Dregothian Knights
Knighted by Sir Luthien
Cidion
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2002
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: House Dregoth
Red Sword

Postby Thorondor » Thu May 01, 2003 1:31 pm

I guess it depends on how it is used. Since we are unable to block out words, lets just let people moderate themselves. If it gets too much out of hand all the time: like "**** you you **** ****" or stuff like that pretty often, then we need to get more serious about making people watch their language.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Winfang » Thu May 01, 2003 1:40 pm

If I was 15 and my mom read this board, she wouldn't let me fight until I turned 18. My mom didn't even want me to fight when I first went out but I did anyways. My parents threatened to throw away my my White Zombie cd because it said **** on it. I wasn't allowed to watch MTV or play Mortal Kombat until I was 16.

I try not to curse at work because my co-worker takes offense to it. I try not to curse around my mom because she doesn't like it. I try not to curse around children out of respect for their parents.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Cidion » Thu May 01, 2003 1:50 pm

Agreed, that is why if we all watch ourselves we can keep the a "fairly" clean and informative board.
Sir Cidion the Savage, Knight of Dunharrow
Sgt. Cidion of House Dregoth and Knight of the Dregothian Knights
Knighted by Sir Luthien
Cidion
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2002
Realm: Dunharrow
Red Sword

Postby Ora » Thu May 01, 2003 1:52 pm

My seven year old can out-cuss you all!
She's just not allowed.

As someone once told me... "With Ora as Squooshie's mom, she's heard every cussword and then some!"

Moderation is good, but too much censorship is ridiculous.
And FC, c'mon... get with the program. We're not discussing legal issues. When last I checked cussing wasn't illegal, just bothersome to some people.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Poeir » Thu May 01, 2003 2:30 pm

I'm going to have to agree with most other people. Cussing's fine when other people do it, it's just not my thing.
Fighting since September 30, 2001
I'm not not a member of the SDC...
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Jikanta » Thu May 01, 2003 4:03 pm

Do I need to make a "should we ban the F-word" poll? :roll:

I think this is rediculous.
Jikanta

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu May 01, 2003 4:06 pm

I think when you see someone over swearing you should just give them a strike for excessive profanities.

BTW did you install the strike mod yet? Because there use to be one that came uninstalled with phpbb.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby faline » Thu May 01, 2003 5:42 pm

I completly agree with Jikanta. The last thing I want to happen is to have an iron fist close around something we all know and love.

Swearing is going to happen. If parents don't like their children around swearing, then this isn't really the right game for them. Not meaning that we all swear up a **** storm every time we take the field, but naughty words happen. They're a part of our language and in every day usage. We shouldn't deindividualize a certain aspect of our game just to pad it for parent consumption. But then again, we shouldn't abuse the fact and offend someone.

Fading, I understand the point that you're trying to make. Groupthink is usually stupid, but you sound like my mom when she asks me if I'd jump off a bridge if Uli told me to ;). We're all a bit brighter than your average **** scumbag rapist.

Ora, I can't wait to meet your daughter. Will she be at Geddon?

Faline :cat:
Brotherhood of the Falcon
Veteran Sergeant Chaplain Faline, Esq. Retired

It's warm in the Pod.
---Frmr. Lt. Rimmer Dahl
faline
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 May 2001
Realm: Wolfpack
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

TurboGlaive

Postby Thorondor » Thu May 01, 2003 6:08 pm

Jikanta wrote:Do I need to make a "should we ban the F-word" poll? :roll:

I think this is rediculous.

Come on, not ANOTHER POLL!!! We have too many polls as it is :D

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ora » Thu May 01, 2003 7:49 pm

Dammit people, get over it already. This is one of the main reasons I don't jump all over people for cussing in front of my kid... she's gonna hear it anyways. Excess in anything is bad, including cussing, and I believe that it should be monitored to a point. As I stated before (don't know if it's in this thread or not, but) just because we can do it doesn't mean that we should abuse the privilege. Can we move on to another topic? Isn't this one dead yet?

Faline, if we make it to Armageddon this year Squooshie (Olivia) will be with us. She loves events and seeing all of her buddies and making new friends. Bring your bag of goodies cuz she'll most likely sucker... I mean, invite you to join you in a game of goblyn dice. If you're not sure how to find her, ask folks like Brutus, Lady Feri (she'll have a merchant booth), Father Girbhin/Toad, V'Hil, or several others... hell, Squoosh probably knows more people than I do!
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Andrek » Wed May 07, 2003 10:31 pm

I like polls. They show numbers and I would like to see how many people want, don't want, or don't care about F*** as a poll. I say go for it Jikanta.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Thu May 08, 2003 12:36 am

King Andrek wrote:I like polls... I say go for it Jikanta.

Way to answer a likely rhetorical question a week late.

Trying to get those numbers up?
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Keyboard cowboy.

Postby NinjaBob » Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:39 pm

i concur with being able to curse/swear on this board. recently i posted something to the effect that i considered homosexuals to be uncool. and i was edited for saying homosexuals. god * its not like i said * or ass-rammer or something to that effect. HOW **** POLITICALLY CORRECT DO I HAVE TO BE!?!?!?!??!?!??!
Leader of Bloomfield "Blades of Darkness"

Former Leader of the deceased Vincennes "Crimson Guard"

New Fighting name: "The Reverend"
NinjaBob
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jikanta » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:18 pm

psst... this thread is 4 months old
Jikanta

Postby NinjaBob » Wed Aug 20, 2003 11:23 pm

then i guess the mods should do a better job cleaning the forum then eh? LOL. nah other than that, i'm a new member, so i missed my chance then. therefore, i am taking my chance when my chance has allready been missed, by creating a rift in the space time continum to go back in time 4 months to post when this forum was an active forum.

NinjaBob
Recruit
Recruit

RE: Haha!!!

Postby Calarn the Black » Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:58 am

How about we just let this die? :)
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Theros the Large » Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:19 am

Nope...

Stab it, shoot it, beat it with a nail studded Louisville...

IT JUST WON'T DIE!!!

aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh!

Oh! I almost forgot!

****!
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby NinjaBob » Sat Aug 23, 2003 12:05 pm

Step One:

Instead of * say Buns, like:

Eat My Buns
or
Your a Buns-Hole

Step Two:

Instead of **** say Poo, like:

Eat Poo!
Poo Head
or
This poo is cold

Step Three:

In * drop the "T" because
Bich is Latin for Generosity

Step Four don't say **** anymore
cause **** is the worst word that you can say, just say "M'Kay"
**** IS THE WORST WORD THAT YOU CAN SAY
NO YOU SHOULDN'T SAY **** NO YOU SHOULDN'T SAY ****, **** NO!

NinjaBob
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tibriel » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:24 am

Its easy M'kay
Tibriel
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Double broad sword

Postby NinjaBob » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:47 am

THere are times when you will be suckered in, by drugs and sex with women, m'kay, but i have something to tell you now. You can do it its all up to m'kay. with a little effort you can change your life today...... you don't have to spend your life addicted to smack, homeless on the streets giving handjobs for crack, follow my plan and very soon you will see.... its easy m'kay.

NinjaBob
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Camber » Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:20 am

Anything said with vulgarity can be said just as well with cleaner language. IMHO, swearing usually only has one advantage over cleaner language, in that it makes some people laugh. It also makes other people curl their lips back in disgust, but of course that is what vulgarity-using people sometimes find so funny.

Why not diversify your vocabulary a little. Try saying "Copulate!" "*!" or "Hades!" every once in awhile when you need a colorful metaphor. Used properly, it can be at least as funny as swearing, and shows a little more creativity and intelligence, without all the offensive baggage.
Camber Calimmacil MacArdrigh
ArHain

I ſercenen Minyondoryo
i Aintar ortieva hinirya
huinello Cuilen oialle
Camber
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 05 Sep 2001
Realm: Copper Roost
Unit: ArHain

Postby Eodhffulgzeen'n » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:01 am

Excrement, Camber! You're taking all the copulating fun out of posting!

Fornicate!!
The Destroyer
Pronounced eh-YOTH-fulg-ZEEN-en
But you can call me Ed
Eodhffulgzeen'n
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Camber » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:23 am

ROFLMAO!

See, what did I say? Now there's someone who know how to use "fornicate" properly.
Camber Calimmacil MacArdrigh
ArHain

I ſercenen Minyondoryo
i Aintar ortieva hinirya
huinello Cuilen oialle
Camber
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 05 Sep 2001
Realm: Copper Roost
Unit: ArHain

Postby Guts » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:11 am

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-Guts, rushing into battle
Guts
Underling
Underling

RE: Doh

Postby Calarn the Black » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:13 am

You know, I hate that you revived this thread, but that was **** awesome.
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board

Postby Guts » Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:46 am

George Carland Rules All!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-Guts, rushing into battle
Guts
Underling
Underling

Postby Elebrim » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:42 pm

I agree with Camber. Creative language and a big vocabulary beat cursing 110% of the time in my book. Besides, people who curse just make themselves sound stupid.

Great use of the word Fornicate, Eodhffulgzeen'n.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Next

Return to Web Design