Situation #3

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Situation #3

Postby Freyson » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:50 pm

Situation #3

Zio is the sole survivor of a detachment of fighters which flanked the other team. He is coming back across the field to rejoin what is left of the battle. Several fighters are kneeling down, holding gear or have gear lying near, and have their backs to Zio. Zio runs in and starts swinging, hitting several before they realize what has happened and hitting others who are yelling at him as he is swinging. The yells are mostly along the lines of ?What the hell?!?!? One of the fighters Zio is swinging at swings back and hits Zio?s torso. Zio falls dead and immediately is in the center of a bunch of people yelling and screaming at him. It turns out these fighters were not ?legged?, they were just watching the rest of the battle. The fighter which ?killed? Zio was dead himself. Zio?s team goes on to lose due to him being ?killed?.

What do you do?
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Re: Situation #3

Postby Syrus » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Freyson wrote: Several fighters are kneeling down, holding gear or have gear lying near, and have their backs to Zio.

It turns out these fighters were not ?legged?, they were just watching the rest of the battle. The fighter which ?killed? Zio was dead himself. Zio?s team goes on to lose due to him being ?killed?.

I would question attacking people who do not seem prepared for battle, as that usually means that they are not in the battle. Although I would begin by talking to any that may have appeared to be "legged," which I can only assume from the description means that they had weapons in hand, but not overhead. This could be construed as misrepresentation. I would then pull Zio aside and ask him to remove any doubt as to the status of opponents by simply asking "who's still alive?" It removes opportunities for tasty backstabs, but it prevents a lot of sore feelings.
Shah-Syrus Of Horse Grave Horde
Master of the Crotch-Block.

HORDE WIN, *!
Syrus
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Squire Horati » Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:47 pm

You need to have your people have an elbow on the ground when they die. Weapons on ground elbow on groung. Removes all doubt. Don't get mad with Zio the other people sitting there should've shown that they were dead.
"I can't protect you without holding a sword. I can't embrace you while holding a sword."-Ichigo
Will Google For Sorcia
Squire to Sir Elkar
ZANGETSU!
Squire Horati
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Cailte McDonough » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:31 pm

Freyson wrote:Situation #3
The fighter which ?killed? Zio was dead himself. Zio?s team goes on to lose due to him being ?killed?.

Ohhh, there's someone who needs a talking to!
Gramps has got wheels! - Bran
ImageImage
Cailte McDonough
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Mawr » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:45 am

I'd make those dumb kneeling **** sit out for at least five battles for being such moronic bastards.

When you DIE you LIE DOWN. If you get hit because you aren't lying down, it's no one's fault but your own. STFU, life sucks, get a helmet.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, the creationist booklet was to religious literature what tubgirl is to pictures of people having sex." -- Aria
Mawr
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Izareth » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 am

I remind people not to swing after they're dead. I tell them that if they do not look dead expect to get hit, and if they do look dead expect to get their head stepped on.

I don't say anything about who is alive or dead at the moment. The problem and its reasons have been addressed. Everybody's going to get up in a minute anyway.
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Spike » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:31 pm

If you want to sit up and watch a fight, you should at the very least have your hands on your head.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby debuenzo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:16 am

first off, i would tell the people yelling- harassing zio to shut up because the dead cant speak

zio is still dead...just cause by now the battle is prolly over or stopped
however, if not many people noticed and the battle was still going on id tell zio to go ahead and fight

then i would say to everyone if you dont show death (lying down-elbow on ground-weapon/hand on head) then youre fair game to get hit

never yell at one person or a group of people .....yell at everybody
just remind them of the rules
so no one gets singled out- embarrassed- and/or angry

HEY GUYS....remember to take your hits....etc
not....Golor, dont be a rhino hider...not taking hits is cheating

if youre dead, put a weaopn over your head or lie down
not...you guys shut up and get off my field....if you dont show death...you can get hit, deal with it
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Freyson » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:37 pm

First of all I call a hold and yell for Zio to come over to me. This is not to yell at him, but to get him out of that group of angry people.

Next I make a field wide announcement about the rules, specifically these two:
3.4.2. All Injury effects must be accurately portrayed and reported.
3.4.2.1. Death ? Lay down immediately. Do not move unless instructed by a Marshal.

This will be followed by a warning that anyone who is so obviously cheating will be removed from the field for the rest of the day. Then I will tell Zio he is not dead and restart the battle. If it is too late at this point, I will re-do the battle with the cheaters sitting out.

These are not subjective rules and are not too hard to follow. Anyone who has been through the most basic of training knows to lie down when dead. Anyone who does not follow them is either unwilling or unable to. If they are unwilling to follow the rules they are not welcome. If unable to do the simple act of lying down they probably should not be on the field, they should be under some scientific or medical observation.

Sitting with hands or weapon over head is not dead either. Too often people use the weapon over head as death to block teammates. It is too easy to confuse the one legged guy holding a sword on his shoulder with the mass of sitting people with a weapon on the head. It is against the rules and should be punished.

If you are dead, lay down. If someone is not lying down and claims to be dead, they are cheating. Anyone not lying down is a fair target. If you want to watch the battle, do it from the sidelines.

p.s. Situation #4 may be a day or 2 late due to Equinox.
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Izareth » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:16 am

I've never seen someone watching a fight with their weapon over their head use said weapon to block for a teammate. I think that is bogus.

Allowing people in the game to sit up and watch the ensuing battle is only common sense. We are all exited to see who wins and who beats who. Lying down when the fight rages toward you is just intelligent. Someone sitting on the ground with their weapon over their head should be fine, and that's how I'm gonna call it.
Last edited by Izareth on Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby debuenzo » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:06 pm

which demonstrates the ability of a herald to make the decision they see fit
different heralds will make different calls
as long as we are within the realm of safety and not horribly trampling the rules...i say game on
i like just spicing things up w/ a herald call...no shields....or fight with your non-dominant arm...etc
heralds are like refs....each will call the game differently, yet each knows teh rules(or should)
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Mawr » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:55 am

Izareth wrote:Allowing people in the game to sit up and watch the ensuing battle is only common sense.

They can do that just as well while lying down.
"I guess what I'm trying to say is, the creationist booklet was to religious literature what tubgirl is to pictures of people having sex." -- Aria
Mawr
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby RavenHeart » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:03 am

It all depends on how the area is with these types of things... assuming this isn't a continuing issue and has just happened for the first time, I would reprimand everyone involved verbally, in essence, "No, No, bad, dead can't speak and should be obviously dead, if gear is just laying about, make sure you know if they are injured or dead before running in screaming and attacking. Next time will be some time out, the third instance would be a suspension, ultimately (I would hope it never went this far) expulsion."

But realize that it is also our job as Marshalls to ensure everyone's safety, and Equinox got me to thinking about this issue once again. As a Marshall, one of our easiest jobs to ensure the safety of the fighters is to move them off the field once any remaining fighting moves away from the corpses.

In all, this is not just a mess-up by the fighters involved but one that could have been remedied in the first place by the Marshall.
High Chieftan of the Dobharchu Donn
Swordbrother to Kinsman Oron the Wolf
RavenHeart
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Izareth » Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:07 am

I'm not in the game to split hairs. I think that there are serious situations that occur, to be sure. It is true that you can watch a battle while lying down Ackbar, I concede that. I still think that if battles are kept fast and fun, people sitting up, watching the fight are about ready to get up and regroup soon anyway.

Again, I concede that you can watch a fight while lying down, but in my opinion, I would rather foster the common sense to get out of the way or drop lower when the fight rages near. If someone who is dead is predisposed to block shots or throw them from their deadened position, I'd like to know that anyway. They obviously have a poor understanding of the rules that goes way beyond that of not lying down. I don't want to argue, and I concede that there is some merit to the point, I see that different Heralds see different things as major issues.
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby calebmonkey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:48 pm

if they were down on there knees and not laged from whit i rember if yuo are down on one knee and you were not hit in the leg you are still leged you cant be down on your knees then poop up when some on gets close so the harold should of called the fighters on there knees dead as well and yes if you are in the field just sitting there not laying down you should be hit if you are dead and want to see the reast of the fight better then you put your sowrd on you head and leave the field and go sit on the side line
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Jarlaxle » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:16 pm

if they had no elbow on ground or weapon on head there is nothing for them to be yelling about. I would tell them to sit out for five minutes to calm down because Zio was trying to play and they looked exactly like gimps, Zio is no psychic (i think)
Manipulation leads to chaos
During chaos I always seem to come up on top
Therefore, I must manipulate all that you do
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Return to Marshalling/Heralding