Big red versus a board and sword

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Big red versus a board and sword

Postby ICARUS » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Well theres this guy in my small realm who goes sword and board while i use a big red/green mace. Since this is a small realm by which I mean less than fifteen I usualy end up being the last in the fight except him. So my question is their any tips on how to beat him. Cause he usually beats me. And nothing sucks worse than second place. Thanks in advance. ?:(
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Re: Big red versus a board and sword

Postby Zzyzx » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:43 pm

ICARUS wrote:Well theres this guy in my small realm who goes sword and board while i use a big red/green mace. Since this is a small realm by which I mean less than fifteen I usualy end up being the last in the fight except him. So my question is their any tips on how to beat him. Cause he usually beats me. And nothing sucks worse than second place. Thanks in advance. ?:(

Start using sword and board.

The best way to learn to fight against a weapon style is to learn how to fight with the style. You'll get to know the strengths and weaknesses of the style first-hand.
Zzyzx

Postby Shratisfaction » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:23 am

Stab at him high and then swing low at his legs while tilting your haft upward crosslike :)
I Kant believe it's not butter.(:
Shratisfaction
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Shratopia
Unit: Shratopia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fork and knife

Postby GvK » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:53 am

You can try several things, assuming it is SINGLE combat:
    ALWAYS be moving and using footwork, don't just back-off, back away in a direction to "rotate" around him clockwise or counter clockwise
    Switch hands and strike from the left (assuming you are a rightie into his sword arm; reverse if you are a leftie)
    Use a buckler
    Wear armor to take the first hit or three
    Carry a back-up weapon so if he gets inside you can instantly pull the back-up and do a deep wrap shot as you close and tie up his shield
    If he's using a punch shield, hit the **** out of it using range and footwork to knock it (and perhaps him) aside and make his wrist hurt; follow-up with a thurst if you can make a safe red/green two-hander or pull the back-up and charge
    Also if he has a punch shield, and if he is not constantly charging you (which he should be), use the tip to keep pushing the top, bottom, or sides of the face of the shield to keep MOVING it away from his body (this usually * punch shield users to no end)
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

All things being equal, a greatsword user should lose to a sword-and-shield user so you generally need to be better to win--using some of the above techniques can help you get better.
GvK
GvK
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1984
Realm: Dagorhir Aratari
Unit: Vardrotta
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two-handed sword (longsword)
Glaive
Archery

Postby Borric » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:08 am

Armor, Shield, Footwork, Variety, and Hilt Blocking.

Armor: Having armor is a definate advantage. Lets say you two square off and are at full health/armor. You go for a sold hit on his shield (One!!) He starts his charge. But that first shot just went into the first. This time on the shield again, and then maybe towar the right side.
(If he was fast enough, then he might have gotten your arm only once in this exchange. (But alas..."Arm armor")

Also, lets say if the person you are fighting is a calculatory fighter. (One that analyzes you, then attacks. Then if you catch them off guard, then you can go in pummeling, and you might get them off guard, and you can keep hammering away. (One way to assist in this is to get to him when he is fighting someone else (The third to last fighter) This way, his attention is divided.

Shield: A buckler will help. You will be archer bait with a red, and it provides incidental blockage during your swings. (Harder to control while swining a red.)

Footwork: Stay mobile. You may need to backpedal, sidestep, or advance instantly, so stay on your toes. One way to do this is to bend your knees in your fighting stance. You will start to feel your knees shaking slightly from the tension, and that will make you a veritable spingboard.

Variety: Throw a variety of shots. Get that shield shot, or one handed leg shot from long distance. Normally when a person takes that first shield shot, they will get worried because they don't want the second, so they will move in.

Other than that, throw a shot at the shield, then go for their sword arm on the other side. If it si a punch shield, pummel the top of the sheild and drop one in on their shoulder.

Hilt Block: They swing, you block with your hilt or blade, then counter swing on their attack arm. Example, when fighting red to red, block and counter swing is one of the prime methods of fighting. Against a sword and board, then you have to move quicker becuase they can reset their shot faster. So let them hit your sword, then counter swing.

Overall, I found that practicing against red swords, esp. against fighter who will "hurt" me ;) forces me to step it up, block and hit. Then as your speed increases, then your shot delivery will increase....

Good Luck
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby graavish » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:15 pm

multiple variables too:what kind of shield is he using strap or punhc what size does he fight light weapon or heavy etc etc all these thing require different strategies
Loyal to Izareth
Blooded Warrior of Horde
Arm of Marjak
Hand of the gods clan
HoRdE
so my microwave dinged! and before i could stop myself i asked it what level?
graavish
Veteran
Veteran

Location: i was thinkin about this what is time and space fuck..head explosion

Postby Chicken » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:20 pm

It's been years since I used red regularly, but I'd like to think I haven't forgotten everything yet. I hope not too much of this is redundant.

*) Definitely get a buckler. Not only do they help a lot against archers (who are otherwise gonna pick you apart at an event), but they're also suprisingly useful in melee. It's amazing how many armshots you get to ignore, which is pretty key with a red.
*) Fake for the shield, get something better. In a 1-on-1, especially when you're the last two on the field, actually breaking his shield is not a very productive tactic - if you think about it, you have to get two heavy slow hits in before he gets one single hit anywhere on you for you to have any advantage. Sure, if you get one hit on the shield without taking a hit back he'll be much more cautious, but you're still at a disadvantage if you keep after the shield. On the other hand, he'll certainly be expecting a shield shot, so if you can start a swing looking like it's going straight for the shield, then turn it into a shot at their shield shin, weapon arm, or shield shoulder at the last second you'll be way better off than if you'd just made a hit to the shield.
*) Keep your weapon between you and him. Really basic one here - there's no need to * your weapon back behind your back before or after a swing, and as long as your weapon is between the two of you, he's going to have a lot more trouble getting to you :).
*) Use a backup weapon if you can. I've never had much luck (or tried often) using one with a red, but it's a lifesaver with a spear... . If you can have it ready quick enough, it'll give you at least 50/50 odds when they close in tight after (or during) your first shot, which is better than you've got with your red at that point.
*) Keep moving and be ready to run backwards, parrying constantly. Even if you can't win a battle up close and personal, if you can stay alive long enough your opponent will often let off their attack, allowing you to regain that all-important stand-off distance.

GvK's right, though. I would say that a sword and boarder 1-on-1 against a red wielder with no armor, buckler, or backup should probably win 80%+ of the time assuming equal skill and speed.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:37 pm

Did I read that right, a big red/green mace?
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Postby Digoza » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:54 pm

this is a thread I started dealing with the otherside of the fence; could be helpful in this case too.

This is also in the tips in tactics section too if you look, it's just easier to link you guys.
Digoza
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 08 Jul 2005
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Dagger

Postby debuenzo » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:12 pm

icarus

first i'd say...drop the red and grab another shield and blue weapon

if you cannot or will not

go for his legs!
fake high and go for his legs
then work w/ the red mace

anyway you can do it...make sure he is on ONE knee and cannot move around
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Mercer » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:47 pm

Best tactic for a red user: get a friend. Barring that, float like a butterfly, sting like a TOW missile.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Nakamoto Amuro » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:51 pm

With a red, you pretty much have to stick and run sometimes. leg him and leave him. Historically, soldiers with great swords i.e. zweihanders and nodachi, were used kinda like skurmishers. Once the enemy was wavering and breaking formation they'd send in the big boys with with big swords to send them running like a herd of sheep. Nothing says "get out and stay out" like a 6 foot blade comin at you with your buddie's guts dripping from it.
Knowing thyself and knowing thy enemy, in 100 battles no danger. Knowing thyself but not knowing thy enemy, one defeat for every victory. Not knowing thyself and not knowing thy enemy, in every battle certain death.

Daimyo of the Nakamoto Clan of Dun Abhon
House of the Black Lotus
Nakamoto Amuro
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Dun Abhon
Unit: House of the Black Lotus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wuxia

Postby Elyk » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:55 pm

I got's a questoin, is there a single way that he manages to beat you most of the time? Does he charge you, or does he sit back and wait for open shots, or....yea.
Yeha, I knoh I ca'nt spel, thankse.

http://yaaraseene.proboards76.com/index.cgi
Elyk
Mercenary
Mercenary

Postby ICARUS » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:07 pm

1. He uses a saw blade design shield approximately the size of his chest and if I get his leg he basical uses it to hide behind it.
  2. It is a mace that is red and green meaning it can do red damage and stab both one handed or two handed.
  3. If he charges he uses a shield to block my first strike and out runs my backpedal or my run so I can't get a second strike in.
  4. If his name means anything its OUTLANDER
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby debuenzo » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:10 pm

lol
i know outlander
but yea....just make sure to gimp him

then break his shield

just be quick and dont get sloppy/ lazy

like anything: practice makes perfect
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby savetuba » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:19 am

here is How I beat our sheild men with a glaive. Same ideas can be applied.

Swing at their weapon arm(lower body area). a 2 hand swing has more power than a 1 hand block and you will most likly score a limb hit. If they move the sheild in the way then it is a sheild hit.

If they use the sheild to block the hit they will try rushing you. swing again at their arm side steping towards their weapon arm.

OR mix it up and feint a head/shoulder(area) wrap shot and when they raise the sheild to block, hit the sheild with your body or with the weapon.

Make them worry about loosing the sheild then swing towards the un sheilded side and see if they loose a limb or the sheild.

If they rush while you are swinging for a limb (sword arm) simply side step into their weapon and try to land the hit to their side first.

And as a basic rule for any red user, 1 on 1 is foolish. watch the sheild man and engage him when there is someone else he has to worry about like a spear or jav or arrow. (In my case it is a rock)

Practice at home changing direction of your swing.
Example: left to right is the swing but you change from a upper arm to lower leg. Helps when targeting the weapon arm. You "feint" (more like changing the direction of the shot) a strike and drop it into his leg.

If the sheild is a strap sheild swing at his weapon arm with the intent on hitting the edge of the sheild and pushing it to one side. Let the impact with the sheild side stop your weapon, then thrust in hoping for a body shot.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby savetuba » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 am

bumb due to error
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Chicken » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:29 pm

ICARUS wrote:
  • He uses a saw blade design shield approximately the size of his chest and if I get his leg he basical uses it to hide behind it.

I bet your red is relatively short, isn't it? If you get him gimped, you should be able to kill him at your leisure, though having a relatively short red (as opposed to, say, a glaive) will make it a lot harder.
Once he's gimped, then concentrate on breaking his shield. Especially if you have a shorter red, he'll come lunging after you when you make your strike, so be alert and be ready to jump back at any time. It's definitely worth it to waste a swing and not get hit - you can keep trying all day, after all :). Once you get his shield out of the way, beat at him until he dies.

ICARUS wrote:
  • If he charges he uses a shield to block my first strike and out runs my backpedal or my run so I can't get a second strike in

Yeah, that's how a lot of red vs. sword-and-board fights go. A buckler and backup weapon will help a lot, so that when he charges in and you can't get in another red strike, you're not offenseless.
This is also the big reason not to ever concentrate on breaking the shield in a fight like this (until he's gimped :) - you get one hit on the shield, he kills you. Bad trade. Though it may be a more unnatural shot for you if you're right handed, his weapon side will be a lot more open, especially while he's running (since he's got to tuck his shield over to the side a bit to be able to run, most likely), and anything you get over there (weapon arm, leg, or side) is pretty much a win for you.

Hope that helps some... .
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby ICARUS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:20 am

Yeah I probably should carry a back up I have a short sword for duels but it is hard to carry with the mace because I don't have a sheath for it yet.

Also my mace is about 6ft in length.
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Killian of Andor » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:46 am

Wouldn't that make it a stick with a ball on the end?

and if all else fails, stick the backup blue down your shirt. Crude, but it works.
Killian of Andor
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2005
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby ICARUS » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:30 am

no its not a really big FLAIL. It basically brother nolens design for a barrel mace but a lot bigger. I used his mace a practice and loved it so I made me one to fight with.
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Sir_Mel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:11 pm

if it was a stick with a ball on the end it would still be a mace. A flail is like a mace except with a chain in between the pole and the the "ball". And just in case you were wondering, a morningstar (no such in belegarth) is a spherical mace with metal spikes protruding all around the head. Now, you all probably knew this already but I felt like showing off my extensive knowledge of mideval warfare cause I'm bored.
Later
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Magpie Saegar » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:51 am

bah. I learned that much "extensive knowledge" from playing Diablo II.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Izanaki » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:40 am

as several have said about have a buckler, you could also have a shield strapped to your back, and a short blue at your waist, or even better, a 2 handed dagger.

Heres what you do. If he rushes you, you rush him, drop your red, grab the blue, or dagger, slam into his shield. DO NOT take your shield off your back

Whats happened here is-
A: you've dropped a weapon that requires good range, in exchange for a short range weapon
B: your chest is now pressed against his shield, so now he cant hit your body in the front.
C: you'll probably have stunned him by rushing into him, and slamming your body weight against his shield.
D: a shield is covering your back side, so he cant really go for a back stab by reaching around you.

Heres what you do next. You reach around him, and backstab him. If you have a 2 handed dagger, then green him, or double green him if he has armor. Remember, your shield will protect your back side.

If you want to make sure he cant just push your shield off your back, then pretty much make 2 large loops of leather, that wrap either around your arms, or 1 going around your waist, and the other, over one shoulder, and under the other arm.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Faolan » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:08 am

I used to something like that to Grey. Boy, was he *.
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby savetuba » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:17 pm

Izanaki wrote: If he rushes you, you rush him, drop your red, grab the blue, or dagger, slam into his shield. DO NOT take your shield off your back

Whats happened here is-
A: you've dropped a weapon that requires good range, in exchange for a short range weapon
B: your chest is now pressed against his shield, so now he cant hit your body in the front.
C: you'll probably have stunned him by rushing into him, and slamming your body weight against his shield.
D: a shield is covering your back side, so he cant really go for a back stab by reaching around you.

Heres what you do next. You reach around him, and backstab him. If you have a 2 handed dagger, then green him, or double green him if he has armor. Remember, your shield will protect your back side.

Expanding off this instead of droping the 2-hander let go with one hand (opposite side of the attacker's weapon arm) and let the sword's tip fall to the ground. now if the attacker trys to hit your leg he/she will hit the sword first exposing their arm for a quick lunge and stab to that arm.

Also getting right up on the attackers sheild works untill the attacker checks you off it. so you have 2 opptions:
1) push the sheild out of your way or go around it for a kill/limb.
2) hold onto the sheild and wait for him/her to open them selves up for a dagger stab.

If grappling is termed only for bodily parts then physically grabing onto the sheild won't be a grapple.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby striker » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:01 pm

i think most of you missed that it is a red green. Use a controled swing to push his shield aside don't slam it just move it aside and stab his sorry *... And if you haven't figured it our already... armor
"who needs enemy's that stab you in the back. I got friends for that"
striker
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Sir_Mel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:52 pm

magpie, I never said where I procured this information from. It's amazing what you can learn from video games, and believe me, I know.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby xiao » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:30 pm

Borric wrote:Armor, Shield, Footwork, Variety, and Hilt Blocking.

Armor: Having armor is a definate advantage. Lets say you two square off and are at full health/armor. You go for a sold hit on his shield (One!!) He starts his charge. But that first shot just went into the first. This time on the shield again, and then maybe towar the right side.
(If he was fast enough, then he might have gotten your arm only once in this exchange. (But alas..."Arm armor")

Also, lets say if the person you are fighting is a calculatory fighter. (One that analyzes you, then attacks. Then if you catch them off guard, then you can go in pummeling, and you might get them off guard, and you can keep hammering away. (One way to assist in this is to get to him when he is fighting someone else (The third to last fighter) This way, his attention is divided.

Shield: A buckler will help. You will be archer bait with a red, and it provides incidental blockage during your swings. (Harder to control while swining a red.)

Footwork: Stay mobile. You may need to backpedal, sidestep, or advance instantly, so stay on your toes. One way to do this is to bend your knees in your fighting stance. You will start to feel your knees shaking slightly from the tension, and that will make you a veritable spingboard.

Variety: Throw a variety of shots. Get that shield shot, or one handed leg shot from long distance. Normally when a person takes that first shield shot, they will get worried because they don't want the second, so they will move in.

Other than that, throw a shot at the shield, then go for their sword arm on the other side. If it si a punch shield, pummel the top of the sheild and drop one in on their shoulder.

Hilt Block: They swing, you block with your hilt or blade, then counter swing on their attack arm. Example, when fighting red to red, block and counter swing is one of the prime methods of fighting. Against a sword and board, then you have to move quicker becuase they can reset their shot faster. So let them hit your sword, then counter swing.

Overall, I found that practicing against red swords, esp. against fighter who will "hurt" me ;) forces me to step it up, block and hit. Then as your speed increases, then your shot delivery will increase....

Good Luck

DING DING DING DING DING!!!!
xiao
SLAYER

Postby Diego the Goat » Tue May 16, 2006 1:45 am

Swing hard and fast at the weapon side. You only have to score 2 blows to kill that shield, and the rest are gravy. If he manages to close before the second blow lands, you can:

1) Shield kick him back, and continue hammering

2) Close for grapple, and bind up his weapon

3) If you have one, use the offhand weapon for close-quarters fighting

Armor, buckler, and helmet will continually save your *. I'm a pretty big guy, but with helmet and buckler, I feel pretty confident running up on archers.

An offhand weapon allows you to switch to a "close-quarters" pole dancing style when necessary, in which the big red effectively becomes a large, unbreakable shield.

Do NOT be afraid to swing HARD and FAST. Huge frickin' maces are NOT finesse weapons. Hammer on the weapon side, and try to blast that weapon out of his hand / disrupt his shots. Make him regret punch-blocking. Break that shield, or move it completely aside.

There are probably a dozen really good dirty "moves" (tricks) that can be learned from other red/spear fighters at events - watch them fight and ask them to teach you (satanaka's fake-y spin, shrat's spear scamper, soth's high-low fakeout, etc...).

Problem with tricks though is that they can only be used a few times against the same guy, before he'll learn to anticpate them and nail you for trying.
Last edited by Diego the Goat on Tue May 16, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The last thing you want is my undivided attention."

Sir Diego the Goat
The Goatlair
Diego the Goat
Underling
Underling

Postby Nakis » Tue May 23, 2006 2:06 pm

Aye, greetings.

In my opinion, most things here have been said. Outlander is a good fighter, but he tends to forget his legs from what I've seen.

One, you could attack his chest with a stab and drop to stab the leg.
Two, you could swing shield, block left with handle, swing shield, block left, stab.
Three, swing shield, and as you backpedal try a fancy spinny move and aim low. If he blocks, stab him as you likely broke his shield.

I think that my opinion up here. Of course, this is from what I learned last practice. Too bad Outlander knows my moves well now.
Nakis

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics