"Quantity has a quality all its own"

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

"Quantity has a quality all its own"

Postby Nix » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:36 pm

"Quantity has a quality all its own" this quote is attributed to Joseph Stalin. Ask Hitler if he was right. So what is the largest unit or realm that ever fought at an event? At Springwar '06, IC fielded a little about 65 fighters-Nix
Last edited by Nix on Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'God is always on the side of the big battalions.' -Hernry Turenne, Marshall of France
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dr. Kazi » Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:36 pm

You can also ask King Darius of Persia about that. He might have a different answer.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Kyrian » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:47 pm

Let's not forget the French at Agincourt and Crecy.

I would argue that, while numerical superiority has its place, numbers don't mean everything. Technology, tactics, training, and leadership can impact success on the battlefield as much or even more than sheer numbers.

Let's take the battle of Agincourt. While numbers vary amongst historical sources, King Henry V was probably outnumbered at least 3:1 perhaps upwards of 6:1. By all rights, his forces should have been completely decimated. However, his decisive use of tactics, terrain, leadership, and combined arms enabled him to defeat a much larger force. Granted, the French made some tactical errors and their knights were headstrong and, at times, undisciplined. Nevertheless, Henry succeeded despite lacking the apparent numbers to do so.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby savetuba » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:55 pm

I have see such on our own field of battle where 5-6 spear men can hold back 10-12 regulars. Sure if the regulars rushed only half of them would die but not many are willing to die.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Mercer » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:01 pm

I forget who said it, but there's a quote that goes:

"An organized force can never be outnumbered by an undisciplined mob."

... or something like that. Examples of this are the 300 Spartans in Kazi's example, or the comparitively-elite US Army forces versus the more-numerous Republican Guard in Desert Storm. Quantity can overwhelm quality, but it has to be properly applied; being outmaneuvered and defeated in detail makes superior numbers pointless, and the average proficiency of a force generally reduces as it gets larger.

30 newbies versus 5 EBF or Numenor Knights might seem to be an edge to the newbies, but I wouldn't bet on it.

As for who's fielded the most players at an event, I would have no idea.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Matrim » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:29 pm

In many battles where one side outnumbers the other, the side with more troops is likely to become overconfident and rely less on tactics. The side with less men usualy realise that their best (often only) chance at winning is through using the best stratigies. This combonation evens out battles more, even when numbers are lopsided.
CARRI UN CALDAZAR!
Matrim
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Faolan » Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:48 pm

Take the battle of Boudicca and Paulinus, Paulinus had one and a half legions and Boudicca had seven or eight times that.

The romans won.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Sir_Mel » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:47 pm

I don't remember the exact location but there was a battle in the second Punic War between the a noob Roman Commander and Hannibal of Carthage. Hannibal had taken a Roman supply outpost that housed many food and munitions (weapons) and was key to Roman success. After many strategic maneuvers of the previous commander the people thought it was time for a head on attack (bad idea). So, Rome mustered the largest number of legions ever, I don't know how many legions it was but it was about 80,000 trained Roman soldiers against a mixed force of Celtic and Spanish swordsman and some African calvary. After some sweet movment on Hannibal's part and some idiot moves by the romans, the Romans barely escaped with 10,000 troops. Needless to say that commander was fired and the next one went on to attack Carthage and defeated Hannibal.

I'm not sure if the numbers are correct right here but I'll have to find book that I read this in (I think it's in my car) and edit the exact ones later.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Kyrian » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:17 pm

Melannen, I'm not sure but I believe you're referring to the Battle of Cannae:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cannae
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

florentine
archery

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:14 pm

yeah, I think that's it. That version sounds a little different than the one I read but I can't find the book to verify.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Nix » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:04 pm

At Agincourt the odd weren't that long because the English army was a veteran professional army with a unified chain of command fighting the French amy of amatuer knights with anything but a uniformed chain of command The only large professional force in the French host was the Genovese Cross bowman were engaged in a battle of attrition with the English when the impatient second line of Knights rode their only effective missile troop down to get at the enemy.-Nix
'God is always on the side of the big battalions.' -Hernry Turenne, Marshall of France
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Re: "Quantity has a quality all its own"

Postby Izareth » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:53 am

Nix wrote:"Quantity has a quality all its own" this quote is attributed to Joseph Stalin. Ask Hitler if he was right. So what is the largest unit or realm that ever fought at an event? At Springwar '06, IC fielded a little about 65 fighters-Nix

So is IC a unit or a realm?
Captain Izareth Voldranai ak ni Rered Naw
Horde LongFang
Dreng of Dead River
Hand of the Gods Clan
King of Deals
Viking Bastards. Your inferiority, our inspiration.
(\_/)
(O.o)
Izareth
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby debuenzo » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:49 am

this year at ragnarok, the realm area known as "Aratari (basically rome and gestiguiste) fielded probably around 100 fighters...maybe more
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Nix » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:59 pm

the IC or Iron Crown is an unit that include the formerly independent Clan of the Hydra, the Mordeans, and Uruk-Hai units.-Nix
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Postby vek » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:35 pm

"Quality not Quantity" THe MExican American war. thsi says it all.
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Versago Hayashida » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:16 pm

I would have to disagree as well. I think it was the greeks that proved this point when they held back i think 2000 men with only 300. i cant recall the battle but
pretty much says it all. discipline is something that a larger group would probably lack. giving the edge to the smaller group
Ronin of Ered Duath
Versago Hayashida
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 07 Sep 2005
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Kittens of Battle
Favorite Fighting Styles: Club and Punch Shield, Red sword

Postby Chicken » Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Versago - you're thinking of Thermophylae. It was actually a few thousand Greeks, not 300, and a few hundred thousand Persians. The Greeks lost eventually, though it was a strategic victory. Most importantly, though, the Greeks were defending a narrow pass with no known bypass (when the Persians got one, the Greeks were slaughtered).

Vek - I don't know much about the Mexican-American war in detail, but from what I do know, the numbers were actually fairly close and some of the biggest problems with the Mexican army was that they were using old crappy guns and had constant money/supply issues.

So, terrain, technology, and logistics all count, but none of that dismisses the point that quanitity matters.

Obviously numerical superiority is not the be all and end all of military tactics, but that's also not to say that a 100-man army is the same as 10 10-man armies. Everyone who fights knows this - why else can three decent fighters working together kill a dozen single opponents in succession?

There are numerous examples throughout history of vastly outnumbered forces coming away with victory, but part of the reason that we've heard of them is that they're rare and famous. Numbers count.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby V-Hil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:35 am

Numbers obviously can work against you (looks to the examples of Thermopylae and Cannae), but on a proper open battlefield (where the commander of a large force should be picking his battlefield since he will most likely have to attack), a significantly numerically superior force should win more often than not if they have tactics, teamwork and discipline because of the ability contain, corner and systematically destroy the less numbered force.

Granted, this isn't taking into account the many variables of combat that could turn the tide of battle, but, in theory, disciplined, semi-tactical numbers win more often that not.
Warlord V'Hil of the Uruk-Hai!
V-Hil
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 1999
Unit: Uruk-Hai and Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanked-out Sword and Shield
Tanked-out Spear
Leading my Troops

Postby Dacian » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:08 pm

Mercer wrote:

I believe that was Sun Tzu. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby bo1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:27 pm

having had to read that piece, i believe you are correct.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby V-Hil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Another example in history where quantity beat quality- Russia vs. Germany in WWII. Some of you gusy should be using military campaigns in making your arguments, not specific battles. Use specific battles to back up your argument of "the Persian army was inferior in X when fighting the Greeks. The battles of Y and Z prove this."

Citing one battle to disprove another one can be countered time and time again and doesn't really win a debate or even win over the naysayers.
Last edited by V-Hil on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V-Hil
Warrior
Warrior

Tanked-out Spear
Leading my Troops

Postby Versago Hayashida » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:47 pm

If you want a war with quantity though just * off the chinese. I bet they could take out any good size army with bambo stick because they would keep coming and the opposing army would run out of ammo lol.
Ronin of Ered Duath
Versago Hayashida
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 07 Sep 2005
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Kittens of Battle
Favorite Fighting Styles: Club and Punch Shield, Red sword

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:36 pm

V-Hil wrote:Numbers obviously can work against you (looks to the examples of Thermopylae and Cannae), but on a proper open battlefield (where the commander of a large force should be picking his battlefield since he will most likely have to attack), a significantly numerically superior force should win more often than not if they have tactics, teamwork and discipline because of the ability contain, corner and systematically destroy the less numbered force.

Isn't that an example of quantity AND quality?
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby bo1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:39 pm

no thats an example of Iron Crown, you will see very soon big jimmy
jk i think that would qualify as both.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Vokor » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:54 pm

debuenzo wrote:this year at ragnarok, the realm area known as "Aratari (basically rome and gestiguiste) fielded probably around 100 fighters...maybe more

And they lost every battle this year and i think they were out # the whole time also
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby V-Hil » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:36 pm

"Quantity" can be made up of people who aren't as good as Galin or your average Belegrim, but may work extremely well together. 1 on 1, the "quality" wins. 50 on 50, perhaps they will tie. 100 on 100, the "quantity" might just win because these particular "quantity" types will know how to work together better.

That is a historical reference by the great John Lynne, but also applies to our combat as well and I will use the IC at SW and Arm as a good example of how average joes (with some help from Numenor) used teamwork to win.
V-Hil
Warrior
Warrior

Tanked-out Spear
Leading my Troops

Postby Dr. Kazi » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:59 pm

Are we talking about battles or wars here? I think that historicaly, when it comes to individual battles, quantity is simply another factor, to be weighed with training, equipment, terrain, generalship etc. to determine the outcome of the fight.

Now, when it comes to winning a war, I think that massive numerical advantage has more weight than on the scale of a single battle. Yes, the Romans were demolished at Cannae (and the two battles before Cannae) but they won the war against Hannibal because they had a system which let them keep putting massive forces in the field after each battlefield debacle. Similarly the Russians beat the Nazis and the North beat the South. A smaller army might win an engagement due to tactics or terrain, but what are the odds that they will win the next battle, and the next and next, and all the fights it will take to finally wear down the larger foe?
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Killian of Andor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Have any of you guys seen The 300 Spartans?
It's a movie they made about Thermopylae.

One must bear in mind that Spartan soldiers were trained to fight before they could walk, and their entire society revolved around combat. So you have 300 Spartans, which basically were the equivalent to a bunch of heavily armed SEALs or Delta guys, and around 2 - 3000 regular Athenian soldiers, against Persian conscript soldiers who barely would have stood a chance against the normal greeks, much less the Spartans. The Persian unit that did stand a chance against them were the Immortals, Xerses's personal guard. Would have stood a chance agaist them if they weren't fighting the Spartans in a 50 foot wide pass.
Killian of Andor
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 25 May 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Kyrian » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:22 am

There's a movie based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, 300, coming out next year:

Kyrian
Hero
Hero

florentine
archery

Postby Vokor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:40 am

sweet Time to do more PR for the group.
do not fear my size. fear that I know how to use it.
"but be wary for I am an ancient and fat evil " Graavish
Vokor
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2004
Realm: Dur d
Unit: EBF

Postby Olos » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:20 pm

Vokor wrote:
debuenzo wrote:this year at ragnarok, the realm area known as "Aratari (basically rome and gestiguiste) fielded probably around 100 fighters...maybe more

And they lost every battle this year and i think they were out # the whole time also

Aratari vs Ohio Vs non-ohio was basically the setup. Aratari was decently larger than either of the other setups, so ohio and non-ohio teamed up and took them out most every time(at least on the last day of fighting)

Except for the one battle where ohio and non-ohio decided to attack each other, and the 6 of us that were there said "**** that" and faced the roman line. Ended in failure, but we held them off for a decent period of time, and I got 2 arrow kills before they mowed us.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics