A little more clarification.

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A little more clarification.

Postby Plithut » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:33 pm

I need a little more clarification.

Raynor wrote:I was wondering if it would be legal to tie a sword to my shield. i couldnt find anything that says you couldnt but i wanted a verification

Which was answered by-
Par wrote:Its illeagl based on the entangling weapons rule, and on the hinged weapon rule. Its just a safety hazard.

I may not be in the Rules Question forum but this seems like it was answered incorrectly. Forgive me Par. I see nothing wrong in a sword being tied to a sheild, if it is being used as a sword than it isnt an entangling weapon, plus it makes it convientent for people like me who lose their swords. As well as I have a hard time seeing it used as another hinge, and if it is, the herald can point it out and tell the person to stop.

Another one being

Shyftir wrote:Ok.

If I hold a staby-only dagger upside down in the same hand as a sword right side up, can I strike downward with the dagger and swing the sword? As in if I hold both weapons can I use both weapons at the same time?

Not really planning on doing it right now, just curious.

Which was answered by-
Par wrote:No. You can only have one weapon in a hand for either of them. This is a just a clever way to get around the pommel strikes rule.

I dont know the specific ruling on this but I have a general idea. It is legal to hold more than one weapon in your hand but only one striking strike counts. Ralimar displays this very well in the Chaos X Champion Tourney. So once again I believe that Par has misruled.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Postby Kaibashi Shintaro » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:51 pm

It's not his fault, he can't help it.... he's Par :P

In all seriousness though, I do agree with you Plithut, those answers were a little ambiguous and assumed too much.
Kaibashi Shintaro
Warrior
Warrior

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Mercer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:13 am

On the first: if it's long enough to reach across from the shield to the main hand, it's long enough to be an entangling hazard. Pretty much as simple as that.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Winfang » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:13 am

Entangling weapons ban nets, lassos, and mancatchers because it's a safety hazard for the fighters. We don't want fighters trying to tie up other people because of the high potential for safety issuses to happen. It also doesn't allow for damage to be dealt. It kinda makes the weapon pointless within our system.

It doesn't ban tieing weapons to your body or to your shield. Many people make sheaths for their shields to allow weapons to be stored there. Also, many people use lanyards on their weapons to allow their weapons to dangle from their wrists or belts while they can use other weapons.

If I'm the marshal on the field and Raynor wants to tie a weapon to his/her shield, go for it. Their isn't a safety issue. Too many people use potential safety issue as a just cause to say an action is illegal when there is no evidence back their claim. If you want a real safety issue, go fight an archer.

As for the two weapons in one hand, I agree with Par. While it's not against the rules to hold more then one weapon in your hand at once, it's dumb and the person reasons for doing it really does seem like he's trying to loophole the rule.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Mercer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:48 am

Winfang wrote:If you want a real safety issue, go fight an archer.

Hey, if you want to get rid of archery, I'm with you... :devil:
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Spike » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:03 pm

This is on the Experimental Weapons FAQ list, isn't it?

Can I make madu or attach weapons to shields?
Nope. Any given item is either a weapon or a shield; it can?t be both. You can make weapons with fairly large handguards, but they won?t count as a shield. They won?t block arrows and they can?t be broken. Most realms will fail for playability any handguard that?s as large as a shield is ? try to keep it under 12? diameter (the minimum size for a buckler).
Yes, this includes shield spikes. They?ll be interesting decoration, but that?s it. Oh, and a madu is an item popular in some other foam fighting groups. It?s basically a sword or a spear attached to a little shield, usually held upside-down.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Cyric » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:39 pm

Cyric wrote:Are you talking about attaching a weapon behind your shield so you can use it as a backup weapon if you need it, or so you can attack with it?

you can attach a weapon to the back of your shield without too much difficulty and without it being illegal. if you are trying to attach a weapon to your shield to attack with, that's illegal.

feel free to edit your original post.

I posted this there this morning regarding the tying stuff to your shield thing.

As for the holding the dagger down and the sword up, i would fail that as trying to cheese the rules and also not being that safe. it wouldn't violate the one strike per swing rule since both weapons can't score a hit at the same time, but it would be trying to loophole past the no pommel spike rule.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Plithut » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Cyric wrote:As for the holding the dagger down and the sword up, i would fail that as trying to cheese the rules and also not being that safe. it wouldn't violate the one strike per swing rule since both weapons can't score a hit at the same time, but it would be trying to loophole past the no pommel spike rule.

What about people who already use the dagger in that manner? The only thing that I can see is dangerous about this is bringing the pommel down on someone... but since we check for that anyways... The difference is just that the person would be using two weapons instead of one, it would seem it would be harder for them, not the person that they are fighting.
Dragoon Plithut
Sir Plithut - 17th Knight of the Highlands (Retired)
Genetically Enhanced Life Form - GELF
God Squad - Mayhem Muhammad
Hell Hammer - Slaanesh Entices
Plithut
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad-HellHammer-Gelfs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine and Archery

Postby debuenzo » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 am

i would quote the "creative interpretation of the rules" is disallowed etc

holding a dagger upside down along w/ a sword is probably safe

but like many have said, it seems to be trying to loophole the no pommel strikes and/ or double edged weapon reqs.
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Return to Rules Discussion And Development