Octoberfest...

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Octoberfest...

Postby Kyrian » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:09 pm

is about a month away. Does anyone have any specific topics they'd like to discuss in preparation for the event?
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Izanaki » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:46 pm

what are the plans for battle scenarious?
Are there things like hay bails for stuff like castle and bridge battles?
What about a "First time to octoberfest" tourney? Or any other type you can think of.
*People of Missouri* "I'm sorry John Ashcroft, but the dead man scares me less than you do"
Izanaki
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Kyrian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:57 am

what are the plans for battle scenarious?

You'd probably have to talk to the Numenorian event planners to get an answer to that question.

Are there things like hay bails for stuff like castle and bridge battles?

They've had them in the past. I don't see why they won't have them available. Last year they had the castle walls and hay bales laid out as obstacles. The year before, which I think everyone really enjoyed, they had them laid out as a small town and ran a lot of Counterstrike-style 4-on-4 battles as well as some large-scale ones.

What about a "First time to octoberfest" tourney? Or any other type you can think of.

Sounds like an interesting idea. Again, you'd probably have to ask someone from Numenor.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:34 am

I personally am hoping to see the town again. That thing was fun to fight in.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Olos » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:46 am

I personally hate town/castle/bridge battles.

Seems like a breeding ground for injury to me, when you shove a lot of big people, with large weapons and shields into a very confined place and tell them to overrun to the other guys. The frequent calls of "hold" during these battles only confirms my suspicion.

Personally, when one of these battles is going on, I'd rather sit off to the sidelines and spar with people from my unit.
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Shyftir » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:34 pm

See I think the bridge battles and such are our most realistic battles, real field battles almost always involved cavalry somewhere or another during our "basic time frame."

Also I feel more like I'm experiencing medieval combat when forces are bunched together tightly. I was of the impression that tactics like skirmishing around to the enemies back were highly unlikely to happen in real battle. Plus defending a position makes more sense than standing in a field. In real battle.
MUXLOVIA

Clan Black-Hawk - Trueborn
Shyftir
Thug
Thug

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Black-Hawk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board & Blue, Javelin

Postby Oisin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 pm

zombie thread . . .

that being said, i think it would be nice to see a lot more battles at events that actually have objectives other than just killing the other team. medieval warfare was VERY objective oriented. men, weapons and most of all horses were far too valuable a resource to throw away in pointless battles. the idea of victory being valuable for its own sake did not reemerge until napoleon. most battles were fought over or on the way to specific objectives, not just to kill the other guy's soldiers.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Magpie Saegar » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:39 am

so then... what objectives can we add in?

*holding a bridge / castle / town....
*capture the flag?
*......?

I'm all for this, but would like to try to flesh it out more.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Georghiu Leonte » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:15 am

The realm I am likes to have alot of the protect the king style battles, yes they are unrealistic often because they involve ressurection..but realistic in terms of skirmisher vs skirmisher trying to defend one person.

As far as other objective based battles? I personally would like to see more...but how do you have objective based battles that also are playable? That is the 60 million dollar question.
"Thou who shed his blood with me....shall always be my brother....and those who have become my brother I will not hesitate dropping my blood for, even if it meant bleeding to death."
Georghiu Leonte
Scout
Scout

Postby Fowler » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:28 pm

Olos wrote:I personally hate town/castle/bridge battles.

Seems like a breeding ground for injury to me, when you shove a lot of big people, with large weapons and shields into a very confined place and tell them to overrun to the other guys. The frequent calls of "hold" during these battles only confirms my suspicion.

Personally, when one of these battles is going on, I'd rather sit off to the sidelines and spar with people from my unit.

I don't think there was more than one hold at october fest during the bridge & town battles.

But last Rag there was a ton of holds during regular field battles.

I enjoy object oriented battles with two teams built with combined UNITS- so that there are leaders on the field- instead of mindless milling.
Dekalb, Il
"hit hard, take light." - Conn MacCollach
Member of "Fowl-Cock from Aldi's" Trio
Fowler
Brute
Brute

Postby Oisin » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:43 pm

I know of only two big-fight holds during Octfest. The first was when someone tried to shield-bash a kneeling guy and got deflected by the guy on the ground into a dead archer, who turned out to be ok, but who at first was showing signs of a bad shoulder injury. The second was when Thorinn hurt his foot at the end of a field battle and we called hold as the next one started until we could get him off the field. There might have been more I don't remember or wasn't there for.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Denara » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:46 pm

There was a brief hold during one of the city battles when I got hit in the face. It was basically long enough for me to clear and make sure I still had all my facilities. ;) No real injury occurred though.
Denara: Mother to Poison and Thorn
High Guard - Clan of the Hydra
Denara
Monkey
Monkey

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics