75%
No.
3%
Maybe...
22%

Total votes : 64

New Battle Idea - An All Day Battle

Postby bloodnose » Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:24 pm

Alright, this is just an idea that I want to throw at people. I've discussed this with various people, already, and they all like the idea, so I'm putting it up for all to see. Please remember that any or all of this is subject to change based on ideas.

My father is involved in Civil War re-enacting. One thing they do is called Strategy battles (since they can't use the "I hit you, you are dead" method). They go to a park, seperate into two armies (north and south), are put in random locations, and must out-manuever each other, and battle each other for several days, camping where-ever and when-ever, setting up pickets, sending scouts out, etc. I think that our organization would be much better at implementing this idea.

This would be one day of an event. You would wake up at sun-up, and must be at the required location thirty minutes after sun-up. If you aren't there by sun-up, you get points added/subtracted from your team (depending on how points are scored). (Weapons would have to be checked at each location). There would be two or more armies, depending on how many people would be interested. A herald (or two, depending upon numbers) for each army. The armies would be placed at random locations of a park, and would have to cross various terrain. Each army could have a specific colored band that must be visible at all times, to denote which side they are on. It would be a regen battle, and each would have a point to which they could go to regenerate. This would force them to cross a long ways, so they could run, if they so desired. Or we could make "healers" for this purpose, so that people don't have to walk as far. The healers would have to follow a specific set of rules, and the herald would have to write down how many people have been healed (for purposes of points to see who would win later). We could have various versions of this game:
(A) We could have the point-based system, where each regen causes points against the team. The team with the fewest amount of points wins. Leaders would be worth more points (thus, if your Lt or General die, then you would gain five or ten points, instead of one). Thus, it would encourage people to go after the leaders, and perhaps "sharp shooters" with bows and arrows to target these people.
(B) A "capture the flag" idea, except with set out bases and/or items (similar to the game played at Armageddon II, without the element of the "magical items"). (See map, points of interest)
(C) Monarch battles. The Monarch is the only one worth points; team who kills the most generals wins. I wouldn't encourage this, because that means that the monarch wouldn't be allowed to fight as much, and I don't want to prevent people from fighting.
(D) Any combination of any of the above, or some other?

The game would end at sundown, in which everyone may return for feasting, drinking, and partying. (The original idea would be that this encompassed an entire event (seperate from the ones already in place), but after talk with people, it would be better just to make it one day).

The military base would be regen point for each military and/or the place where one would rest and eat (that is, IF they didn't bring food with them). Each military base would be randomly set up the day of. "Points of interest" would be goals, IF we did that type of battle. You would have free reign to send armies anywhere. There would be no place where you couldn't battle, just a strong suggestion to implement safety (a seperate waiver might have to be signed for this).

I'm not an artist:

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts, etc are welcome.

On a side note: Where do I put this thread?! Guess it'll go here for now.
bloodnose
Hellhammer
bloodnose
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Aindreas » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:32 pm

I think this is a great idea and would bring out the true tactical stratgy in people. i would be all for it. :armor1:
-Scottish Berserker
-Disiple of GONZO

"We Ride With Kings on Mighty Steeds
Accross the Devil's Plain"
Aindreas
Brute
Brute

Postby fading » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:44 pm

there doesn't seem to be a lot of fighting

how do you like my Cross the Line? it's sorta crazy, only the best dare even attempt it :roll:

put a glove or something on the ground, opposing forces for evenly in a circle around the object, someone says go and the first person to cross the line wins! whatcha think?
[url]
paddedsword.com[/url]
fading
Hero
Hero

Postby Nor » Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:50 pm

OMG that sounds totally cool... wow didnt even think of that!
That sounds so cool :eek: omg wow :D

sorry

amazed by lil things

attention span

- that big
Nor~Elf of Fury
"That Elf Chick"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodelfnor/
All My Photos...so far
Nor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 May 2002
Realm: Khazad-dum
Unit: Dark Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Archery

Postby Rurouni Valyn » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:28 pm

I like the speed of the game, so something like this doesn't appeal to me due to the slower pace. I'd rather do a chaos round for hours then have to worry about strategy on such a large scale.
Rurouni Valyn
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby kremit » Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:33 pm

great idear
-Kremit
HellHammer: We'll buy the Lobster and play the games of shooting
kremit
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby mistformsquirrel » Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:23 pm

... I am almost speechless... THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!!! If you think about it... there are even chances you wouldn't normally get... ie a group of sneaky people hiding in the brush waiting to ambush the rear guard of an army... or or even mebee a group of archers hiding in said woods to shoot at said army... then retreat to safety without being seen at all (or much at least! ^.^ I love this idea!!! I mean... you might even see a working shield wall used on this scale!! ^.^ <does the happy squirrel dance!!!> Bloodnose you are genius! %^_^%
And now... your moment of zen.
(>'.')>|} >--> ,,,,,,,,(,>'.')>
(>'.')>|=>
(>'.')>------> <(x.x)>
(>'.')>|=>
(>'.')>|} >-->
mistformsquirrel
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Borric » Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:36 pm

I think that this would be terrific. Sometimes the speed of the battles are awesome, but the regens in your idea would help to satisfy that criteria. The use of strategy, and intelligent deployment over a large area would be an excellent test for realm leaders, indivdual units, and the common "grunt". The use of mercenaries, turncoats, prisoners, healers, generals, etc. would bring realm battles, and the like, to a whole new level. Great idea. :)
Borric the Just
Knight of Numenor
Numenorian Ambassador to Muxlovia
Borric
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 21 Aug 2002
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Spear and Glaive
Archery

Postby Tobias » Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:22 pm

I love this idea. I've personally wanted to test my strategies against other people for a while, plus I'd love to see what kinds of things other people can come up with. It would be well worth the effort to try this scenario out.
If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, then study hard and be evil!
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby -Loki- » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:49 am

Great idea bloodnose! I'm actually involved in Civil War reenacting as well. Those all day battles are great! Extremely exhausting ((full wool uniforms in 100 degree weather)), but extremely fun! I think this type of battle would be perfect with our combat society. Some people might not like a whole day event, but even an afternoon would be wonderful. You would need to set this up in a huge area, less it simply turn into an all-day field battle. As much as I hate the sneaky goblins, they would be invaluable as ambushers. Archers might not enjoy this type of all-day battle because their arrows would be out of their control all day. I like the idea of a point battle where it is simply more important to destroy the enemy army then going after a flag. During the middle ages most wars were decided in single, knock-out battles that took days. One army was destroyed....the other was the victor. We can simulate this by allowing people to regen. However, a point system would allow for us to find out whose army did the best job!
-Loki
Wolfpack of the High Plains
-Loki-
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Paksha » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:19 pm

I think this is an Awesome Sauce idea..... I have wanted to see something this cool for a battle come along but i am not smart enuf to come up with it so i am glad someone did....superbly awesome!!!

Just a couple of suggestions... since we are just "re-inacting" just for safety reasons will prob. need to set up water stations at both bases.. and maybe have those that are not doing this bring food out for those that are in their camp...so that we don't have people who are falling down out there...

and possible idea is maybe having head generals that can't be killled, maybe like those old guys that just play washers all day, like Cedric =),, that could be the initial general which strategically sends your "unit" out....
but then again is just suggestion.....

and once again ... Awesome Sauce idea!!!
Leader of Team Paksha
Blue Sash Bandit
Bugbear with the Gelfen Symbiote E-Taint.
Paksha
Scout
Scout

Postby Sgt. Kiff Skitterzz » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:22 pm

I'd say I would enjoy it, it would make fighting all that much more worth it, when you come across your enemies. Seems a bit more real :goblin: too.
Sgt. Kiff Skitterzz ...
Militia Div II
First Sergeant of the Pretties.
Sgt. Kiff Skitterzz
Grunt
Grunt

Postby bloodnose » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback:)

Hm....what would be better, to have it at a weekend event (Springwar) or have it at Armageddon, or make it a seperate event all together? Opinions?
bloodnose
Hellhammer
bloodnose
Toadie
Toadie

Postby kremit » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:17 pm

SEPARATE EVENT...........
-Kremit
kremit
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Tibriel » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:17 pm

So would we be able to do night time assaignations? :devil:
Tibriel
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Double broad sword

Postby kremit » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:20 pm

MOST DEFINATELY........ i think there would end up being less drinking at an event like that..or more drunken battles....lol
-Kremit
kremit
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Tibriel » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:27 pm

Oh, Oh, Oh, we could allow night time assaignations but only with daggers, however if you were killed between sunset and sunrise you would only be able to wisper untill you were healed or revived or what ever, which wouldn't be allowed untill after sunrise.
Tibriel
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Double broad sword

Postby kremit » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:30 pm

i would see alot of dishonesty at somethinglike that though
-Kremit
kremit
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby mistformsquirrel » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:05 pm

I'd say seperate event ^.^ Not because I know what I am talking about, but mebee you'd get more people to participate that way? If I understand right Armageddon is a very busy place and so if you had it there you may get alot of people just quitting to do something else... might be more productive if that battle WAS the event ^.^ Just my thoughts though! ^^
And now... your moment of zen.
(>'.')>|} >--> ,,,,,,,,(,>'.')>
(>'.')>|=>
(>'.')>------> <(x.x)>
(>'.')>|=>
(>'.')>|} >-->
mistformsquirrel
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tobias » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:31 pm

A seperate event would be a good idea, because then we could have multiple battles. With multiple battles, you could have multiple different team assignments. I don't like the idea of night battles, because of the cheating that could easily take place. Everything looks the same in that dark, ya know?
If knowledge is power, and power corrupts, then study hard and be evil!
Tobias
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby kremit » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:20 pm

night battles end up being abunch of headshots.....i know from experience..... almost got my nose broken one time
-Kremit
kremit
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Night Fighting

Postby Emerson Bridges » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:53 pm

If there were going to be any night combat taking place, I think you would want to designate it to a specific area. So it is controled.

For instance, in such a scenario both teams would camp for the night and both teams could send soldiers to attempt to do a night assault. In such a scenario combat would only take place in the two campsites. The two campsites can be made safe for fighting. ie providing light, level ground and other precautions to prevent safety hazards from occuring.
Emerson Bridges
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:10 am

I think this is a **** great idea. Thank you Bloodnose(cool name).
I think the way you could run regen ought to go this way:
Establish neutral "out of game" regen points for each team throughout the feild. At these points you place water and food and weapons to replace broken ones, you know, whatever you need. Spectators and medics could also hang out here. Then when people die, they go to one of these points until told by a herald(by radio?) that they can come back in.
Then you can have less healers on the feild. I feel too many healers muddy the waters for the heralds.
Also, people returning from the dead don't just "appear" in the middle of battle. They now come in as reinforcments which makes last minute rescuse possible. That makes for great war stories.
I think we should do this kind of battle from noon to dark at EVERY major event that has the room. This is how inter-realm wars should be fought.
I'd come eastward to do this. Verily I would.
Fb
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Elebrim » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:04 pm

This idea is pretty stinking sweet. Having something like this at bigger events would definately get a lot more fighters to one place.

One thing I do want to comment on is on terrain and fighting areas. Though the way the terrain could allow for advantages is excellent, there is too big a risk for things to go wrong.

-Example: Your arm gets cut off in the middle of the night, and you are forced to drop the brand-spanking new $40 sword you bought, and when you die later, you can't find which area of the field you dropped it in. Same goes for arrows, thrown Javs, and other small and easily hideable weapons. Though this could be solved w/ flourescent ribbons or tape to help things stand out, it still isn't a pretty picture to be hunting for two hours in the dead of night for an expensive piece of equipment.

-Here's another example: You are walking on a trail in the woods, and all of a sudden a small flanking team jumps out of the trees in front of you and shield charges your group. You make it out okay, with the exception of little Johnny who was impaled through the leg by a tree stump, and Suzie Q. who got knocked into a 20 ft. ravine and is currently trying to find her slowly-floating-away gear whilst nursing a minor concussion.
Even though ropes and signs could be used to mark off dangerous areas and obstacles, there is still a big chance that people could get excessively put in harm's way due to terrain.

I still think that the general idea is pimping sweet. :D
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Sep 28, 2003 8:52 am

The solution to these problems is don't fight at night.
I know these Civil war dudes do it that way, but they don't engege in combat. they only manuver.
So we would only run a battle like this until dusk, like every thing else we do, and then go get drunk and tell each other lies about it.
The way to keep from loosing weapons is to keep them with you. After a battle you put it in a sheath(you'd have to make some.) Really, how to pack your eqiptment is pivotal to this kind of war. I think its one of the best parts of the game. It was my favorite part of LARPing. Sneaking around in the woods and jumping out of trees to ambush people, all the while keeping your shortsword, bow, arrows, dagger and 2 hand axe all securly attatched to your person. A good harness is an achievment to build.
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Shredder » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:40 pm

sounds like good ideas. i would fight in a battle like this.
Shredder
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Thorondor » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:44 pm

Would be interesting. Good idea, good thinking it though.

Just wondering...Have you been to an event? I doubt that people would be up at sunrise...LOL

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Elerosse » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:45 pm

Thorondor wrote:Would be interesting. Good idea, good thinking it though.

Just wondering...Have you been to an event? I doubt that people would be up at sunrise...LOL

~?~

hang-overs don't help people get up.

on topic, i think it'd be a cool battle
Lacerating Lazarus of God Squad
Elerosse
Slayer
Slayer

Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Lookin' Pretty

Postby varadin » Fri Nov 28, 2003 10:33 pm

DIE DEMON THREAD THIS ONE DIED IN SEPTEMBER LET IT BE ALREADY
varadin