Polearm Work

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Postby Spriggot » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:37 pm

On a note for testing your spear, good shots with a spear hit HARD but they don't hurt. A good shot should feel like a very solid push, any really sharp pain is BAD. I wouldn't use the arrow foam on the spear, spear heads get more abuse than almost any other striking surface in the game, and i think it would make soft foam even softer very quickly.
Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
and a Gelf, which is chaos by definition.
Spriggot
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 1984
Realm: Wastonia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Co-Master of the **** toss.

Postby Aiden » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:45 pm

I've always found in line battles that stabbing at the bottom edge of shields near the shins/feet causes a great deal of distraction. Besides that I will go for the sword side of any fighters in the line. I almost always attack obliquely unless the fighter in front of me is evidently unable to defend themselves either because of too small a shield or lack of experience. Do yall attack anywhere else? Any specific striking strategies work? I'll get an archer to wait for me to pry open a punch shield for them to shoot, or I'll use the spear to stop glaives from wrecking my own shield wall. I think the basics I have to some degree, but I'm missing the little tricks of the trade because of a long-term addiction to sword/board.
Albion

Fightin' in the Carolinas!
Aiden
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Albion
Unit: Sons of Tara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Board

Postby Davit » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:28 am

I'm going to agree with the part about the arrow foam not being the best idea, remember, when testing, count to 5 and if the sting goes away it's good. However if you can access it put a layer of pool mat, the kind that floats, inbetween the 3 layers or so of blue and the football, that makes the blue last longer and because it gives a bit more and is a tougher foam. Also make sure you give it a nice base below the football, I prefer to build the blue foam rather than cut the football down, dispersian (sp?) is good for impact.
Getting to the bridge battle thing, deffinatly go for the people that are slightly at an angle to you, but also remember to make those stabs that just plain annoy people to get them to move their shields. Keep an eye out on people looking like they are going to drop their weapons, that probably means you are going to have to fight to keep your spear (I'm one of those jerks that like pulling the spearman through their line because they stopped paying attention). If you do have a glaive or something else with a striking surface, use it but after you push past the shield, most people won't expect it and if you get a good upwards angle with it you take them out completly, and don't ever be afraid to use your spear/glaive to grab someone's shileld and move it anywich way.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby savetuba » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:43 am

Spriggot wrote:On a note for testing your spear, good shots with a spear hit HARD but they don't hurt. A good shot should feel like a very solid push, any really sharp pain is BAD. I wouldn't use the arrow foam on the spear, spear heads get more abuse than almost any other striking surface in the game, and i think it would make soft foam even softer very quickly.

Build hard, hit to soften. If it hits to hard go hit concrete walls with it till it softens up a little.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby savetuba » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:50 am

Mekoot Davit wrote:Getting to the bridge battle thing, definitely go for the people that are slightly at an angle to you

if you hold the spear with your left hand closer to the head, cross to your right. All that you present is your back and if you have a shield next to you or on your back you will be safe. Where as if you cross to your left you leave a large opening for other spears, arrows, javs, and the occasional sword thrust.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Previous

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics