Recruiting From The University of Utah

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Recruiting From The University of Utah

Postby Ulf Iversen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:52 am

After I get my garb and weapons together I was thinking it would be a wise decision to see if anyone from the student body would be interested in joining the sport. What I can do is sit at a table and talk to people about it and go to events. Another thing I can do is if I have two other people who are registered as students at the U, then I can submit the idea as a club at the school and that would give us the ability to reserve parts of the school for club use. Understand that this wouldn't be a Salt Lake City group, it would be a University of Utah club that would be strongly affiliated with belegarth.

What I don't have is weapons to lend out (or in some people's opinion let newbs break) to interested parties during practices. My idea is to have someone interested in selling their foam type weapons and someone who has enough weapons to lend out come up at the same time for an official practice after 1+ weeks of advertisement. Anyway, that's what I think the bare minimum requirements are for starting something like this at the University.

Comments?

(Note: This was originally posted in the Watchers of Ered Duath forum, but it's like a ghost town in there.)
He who felled Queen Andria of Ebonhold on the bank of the serpent's river, Assassin of King Andrek of Ered Duath during the seventh war of Chaos.
Ulf Iversen
Slayer
Slayer

Postby ICARUS » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:42 pm

You may want to speak with the leaders of wolfpack. Because wolfpack of the highplains is an ISU club and they could probably give you some pointers on what to watch out for.
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
http://s138.photobucket.com/albums/q248/trixster_87/
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Assyria » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:49 pm

In all honesty, you are going to have to suck it up and lend your gear, or you are going to have to make a bunch of cheap class 1 weapons for people to use. As you get more people to come out consistently, have each person make an extra weapon or two that can be lent out.
Assyria
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999

Postby Assyria » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:50 pm

In all honesty, you are going to have to suck it up and lend your gear, or you are going to have to make a bunch of cheap class 1 weapons for people to use. As you get more people to come out consistently, have each person make an extra weapon or two that can be lent out.
Assyria
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999

Postby Ulf Iversen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:59 pm

ICARUS wrote:You may want to speak with the leaders of wolfpack. Because wolfpack of the highplains is an ISU club and they could probably give you some pointers on what to watch out for.

I'll see about contacting them, thanks Icarus.

Assyria wrote:In all honesty, you are going to have to suck it up and lend your gear, or you are going to have to make a bunch of cheap class 1 weapons for people to use. As you get more people to come out consistently, have each person make an extra weapon or two that can be lent out.

-sarcasm- I'll totally lend my only sword and bow out. WOOT! -/sarcasm-

I suppose I'll just have to make those bunch of weapons. Here I go to brush up on my foam smithing.
He who felled Queen Andria of Ebonhold on the bank of the serpent's river, Assassin of King Andrek of Ered Duath during the seventh war of Chaos.
Ulf Iversen
Slayer
Slayer

Postby ICARUS » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:41 pm

Honestly I have to agree the Assyria. But if your totally agianst letting people use you weapons then you shouldn't even try to start a realm. Not trying to be mean. But watching and helping to start a realm I have had to lend out weapons several times actually every practice I attend I end up lending out at least 1 weapon to someone.
You can't say civilization don't advance... in every war they kill you in a new way.- Will Rogers
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Ulf Iversen » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:07 pm

I was saying that all I have is one sword and one bow. I also stated that I am going to make weapons that are specifically for the purpose of being loaned out. Are you saying I can't start a realm because I don't want someone else to break my personal weapons? You see, I agree with Assyria too, but I'm opting for option B.
Ulf Iversen
Slayer
Slayer

Postby ICARUS » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:08 am

I'm not saying you can't start one. but from what I have seen and experienced you should be ready to lend out weapons to get people started.
CHECK OUT MY PICS AT:
ICARUS
Brute
Brute

Postby Eris » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:40 am

Icarus, calm. He's making weapons to loan out.

Geez man! Quit being so dang touchy!
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Eris » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:41 am

Icarus, calm. He's making weapons to loan out.

Geez man! Quit being so dang touchy!
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby jubai » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:13 am

i know loptr and griff practice in salt lake city every so often,try to contact them.
i also wouldent mind trying to help out any way possible.
an extra practice a week is worth $1.50 bus ride.
do the clubs recive funding from U of U?
jubai
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Ulf Iversen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:43 am

jubai wrote:i know loptr and griff practice in salt lake city every so often,try to contact them.
i also wouldent mind trying to help out any way possible.
an extra practice a week is worth $1.50 bus ride.
do the clubs recive funding from U of U?

I had actually planned to talk to them in person next Wednesday. The U of U does not fund their clubs.
Ulf Iversen
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:45 pm

You should contact Mythic Realms and the other LARP's in SLC. There are 3 other larps besides Mythic. I have talked to them, but frankly, I scare alot of those people a little bit. And I don't live in Slc and can't practice with them If I could get them to fight me. You, however, could totally get them all to start practicing regularly. THe ones who want to be fighters, anyway.
I also know that Mythic Realms is starting to switch over to Belegarth weapons. There's a guy named Rich McCommis who runs some of their events. Try to get ahold of him. He'll come to practice for sure. He's the one pushing our weapons on them. He may have loaners.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Ulf Iversen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:29 pm

Forkbeard wrote:You should contact Mythic Realms and the other LARP's in SLC. There are 3 other larps besides Mythic. I have talked to them, but frankly, I scare alot of those people a little bit. And I don't live in Slc and can't practice with them If I could get them to fight me. You, however, could totally get them all to start practicing regularly. THe ones who want to be fighters, anyway.
I also know that Mythic Realms is starting to switch over to Belegarth weapons. There's a guy named Rich McCommis who runs some of their events. Try to get ahold of him. He'll come to practice for sure. He's the one pushing our weapons on them. He may have loaners.
FB

Thanks for the info FB, I'll see about getting a hold of him.
Ulf Iversen
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Recruitment Ideas