Historic Commanders/Generals

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Historic Commanders/Generals

Postby Spork » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 pm

I was wanting to know the opinion of other Belegrim on the subject of your personal favorite or what you believe to be the best Historic Commander.

I'm looking for information on any Commander/General from Early Rome to the Renaissance. Personally I have no real historic background and don't know many Commanders and Generals.

I'm looking for things like:

Saladin - Why do you believe he was great? What specific tactics did he use to make him great?

Same with Charlemagne, Ceasar, Hannibal, Leonidas, etc.

I figured this would be a pretty interesting topic for discussion and we might be able to learn some things to apply to Belegarth or for a little information many of us didn't know.
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Olos » Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:26 pm

Alexander the Great.

At age 20, gained command of the macedonians, and then proceeded to conquer greece and the persian empire in a span of 12 or 13 years, dying of either poisoning or disease. Imagine if he had lived for another 20 or 30.... We might be speaking greek(or whatever they speak in macedonia :) )

I wasn't able to research much of his battlefield ability offhand, but the wiki article on him isn't too bad. Oh, and having an army of men with 20 foot spears doesn't hurt, I suppose.

Wiki Article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Nix » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:02 pm

Two generals:the better known Belasrius, the lessor known but more impressive Epimondias.
Belsarius while always outnumbered and with sometimes lower quality troops first put such a thumping on the Persians that they backed off for 20 years, while he reconquered Italy, North Africa, and Southern Spain from various German tribes. His success was his undoing. Justinian the Great, his emperor and another good general feared his success and he stripped Belasarius of command and according to the source either had Belarius blinded or place under house arrest.
Epimondias the Theban deicated his whole life to breaking Sparta. Starting as a revolutionary, he toppled the Spartan controlled puppet government, reorganied the Theban army, changed sufferage so with a population smaller than Sparta he built an larger and better army, revolutionized hoplite tactics, never lost a battle to Sparta, his forces killed a half dozen Spartan Kings, and led a punitive raid to the outskirts of Sparta that Sparta never recovered from. His reward was similiar to Belasarius, the Theban council stripped him of his command, and he died as a common soldier fighting in the front rank, in a hard fought battle over Sparta and most of Thebes former allies.-Nix
'God is always on the side of the big battalions.' -Hernry Turenne, Marshall of France
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Argyll » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Stilicho
Keeper of the House O Raghailliagh
Tanaise of the West
Ard Laech of the Fianna

http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Argyle_III_Salochstagh
Argyll
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2006
Realm: Reilltoch
Unit: House O Raghaillaigh of the Fianna
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red Sword
Sword and Board

Postby Shratisfaction » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:29 pm

omg it's the Scandal of Induction poking it's many bugeyed heads into your brain and making you jump to conclusions about history.
I Kant believe it's not butter.(:
Shratisfaction
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Shratopia
Unit: Shratopia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Fork and knife

Postby Dr. Kazi » Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:50 pm

It would be really hard to have a lower population than Sparta.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

RE: Caesar

Postby Calarn the Black » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 am

Reasoning for Caesar
1. Consistently beat the Gauls, other Romans, and the Ptolemaic Empire with inferior numbers but superior strategy and disciplined legions.
2. Attempted to begin making the Senate more inclusive to all peoples of the Roman Empire (because it was by that point)

Also, Henry V
1. Agincourt -enough said.
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tren » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:18 am

Charles Martel is one of my favorite historical generals, because he was not only a highly successful general, but he was a perpetual underdog. He was constantly outnumbered but managed to win battles through his tactics and planning. He also had the foresight to see the Moorish invasion from Iberia for the threat it proposed, and spent years preparing a trained, standing army, something totally unheard of since the fall of the Roman Empire. He thoroughly smashed the muslim forces at the Battle of Tours and saved all of Europe from conquer and conversion by Islam, which earned him the title "Charles the Hammer".
To Err is Human,
To Arr is Pirate

ImageImage
Tren
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:54 pm

The tactics of men like Leonides are the best for Belegarth. Nearly every battle we fight is a suicide last stand type of thing that usually gets everyone killed except a few guys on one team.
If you want to know about history, READ BOOKS. Don't ask jerks on the internet. Most of us are in some state of ethier intoxication or delusion and none of us check our facts before we post.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Spork » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Forkbeard wrote:If you want to know about history, READ BOOKS. Don't ask jerks on the internet. Most of us are in some state of ethier intoxication or delusion and none of us check our facts before we post.
FB

Forkbeard, you're crazy. I do read books and random internet sites (I know this isn't always true information, but it puts a spin on things) and I did a research project on Thermopylae... and like 2 days later I found out about 300.

I'll take the advice, but I'd still like to here opinions. :)
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Keberos » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Hannibal - He is regared as one of the greatest general's in the history of warfare. His countless victories proves it.
"It is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory"
-Sun Tzu-
Keberos
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Nix » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 pm

Hannibal: tactical and logistic genuis, but what kind of strategist?-Nix
'God is always on the side of the big battalions.' -Hernry Turenne, Marshall of France
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Shyftir » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:10 pm

I suggest everyone read Sun Tzu if you get the chance, and not just his writing but also the commentaries on it written by some of China's greatest generals.
MUXLOVIA

Clan Black-Hawk - Trueborn
Shyftir
Thug
Thug

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Black-Hawk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board & Blue, Javelin

Postby Dr. Kazi » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:55 pm

How about some naval commanders?

Admiral Nelson was an incredible military figure. In my opinion his greatest assets were his ability to inspire his men and his giant brass balls. He was Britain's greatest hero during, arguably, its greatest war. He was inspiration to the nation, and he got the best out of those under his command. Furthermore, he wasn't afraid to throw it all on the line, in spite of the tremendous risks, to Britain and himself. Naval battles arn't like land battles. One crushing defeat can knock you straight out of the war, because it takes so long to recover and rebuild a navy. If Trafalgar had gone wrong, Britain would have lost the war in one afternoon. But by winning, he garaunteed that, no matter what happened afterwards, Britain wasn't going to be invaded. That is why everyone remembers Nelson and Trafalgar, but few people remember Jellicoe and Jutland. Jellicoe didn't have the guts to go through with it. Plus, naval commanders don't have the benefit of being behind the lines. In fact, they are usually on the biggest, juiciest target in the fleet. When Nelson ordered the Victory to charge the Franco-Spanish fleet he knew that he was just as likely, or MORE likely, to die as anyone else in the fleet. Once again, brass balls.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Nix » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:17 pm

Jellicoe had a tactical defeat, ie he lost more tonnage, but he had a strategic victory, ie. the Kaiser's High Seas Fleet never sallied forth again in mass. Sinking the German Fleet might have actually prolonged the war since the mutinying sailors were a key part of toppling the Kaiser's (Ludendorf's) government-Nix
Nix
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Dr. Kazi » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:52 pm

That is the thing. What Jellicoe did wasn't wrong, if he'd risked all and lost, his side would have lost WWI. But I'm talking about "Great" commanders, and to be great, you have to take risks.

For example, one of my historical favorites (largely because of his name), Quintus Fabius Maximus Cunctator. After Cannae, the man followed Hannibal up and down Italy, always staying close, but never offering battle, just gumming up the works enough. What he did was entirely right, Rome could NOT afford to lose another army in Italy, and if he had tried to take on Hannibal, Hannibal would have most certainly ruined him. Rome eventually won the war, and Fabius deserves alot of credit for correctly reading the situation, but he sure isn't remembered for not fighting.

And somehow I think that losing your entire fleet in a crushing naval defeat will do more to end your war effort than unhappy sailors.
Dr. Kazi
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Aleksii » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 am

1.Alexander the Great

2.Pyrrhus

3.Hannibal

4.Philip of Macedon

5.Belesarius
Aleksii
Thug
Thug

Realm: Soon to be Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Embarrassing

Postby Jose Bagg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:05 am

I am going way out side of the lines, but I pick Spartacus.

My favorite part about his story is when the hid out in the wild and then armed themselves with the leaving of the legion they mysteriously destroyed.

That guy was a true motivator and natural leader. Rome would have done well to recruit him instead of hunt him down.
Jose Bagg
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Crom » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:25 am

I know this thread is dead but I'm still voicing my opinion. I'm gonna have to go with Romell. Now I'm not a Nazi or anything but if Hitler let this man do his job with out interuptions We would have lost WWII. look at all the great battles, Normandy, Dunkirk, Stalingrad. He had all of these battles won before Hitler panicked and commanded him to fall back or do something stupid. Rommell wasn't fooled at Normandy, He was in the process of crushing the british in Dunkirk, and he had anticipated operation little saturn and neptune during Stalingrad and had plans to counter attack them that would have crushed the Russian army.
My Victory is as Garunteed as a crak-hoe, working for crak!!!
Crom
Recruit
Recruit

Postby hoplite » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 pm

alexander, he conquered all of the persian empire in a very short time period, also julius caeser for conquering the gauls and germans.
hoplite
Barbarian
Barbarian

Unit: Dimma Ulfur

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics