Finding people to start a realm

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Finding people to start a realm

Postby Managarm » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:47 pm

We're trying to start a new realm in New York, on Long Island. Aside from our group of friends and through word of mouth, we haven't thought of any ideas to get the interest of new people. Are there any suggestions as to what we should do?

Also, what are the prerequisites to starting a realm? Right now we have 2 definate members, myself and Skoll, we have about 8-10 potential members. Do we need to reach a certain number first?
House of Fenris
DEVOUR THE COSMOS
Managarm
Recruit
Recruit

Postby savetuba » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:56 pm

the number you need is 2+ and a representative here on the boards willing to take abuse.

Several things we have done here:
Add a free listing to any newspapers and their web sites.
Obtain one of the free fliers on this site, place your name, contact and place info on it and give one to anyone who asks or stops to watch.
Place said fliers in places of obvious geek-ness.
Contact other groups and let them know you are willing to work together. Cross overs helps everyone expand.

When you get to around 20-30 members there are more advanced recruiting methods you can use.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Managarm » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:17 pm

How do I go about registering a new realm. I think it's safe to say we have 2+ people.

When you say a rep on the board, do you mean one of our House members?
House of Fenris
DEVOUR THE COSMOS
Managarm
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:14 pm

There is no real registration. Belegarth is very free-love, very open-source.

If you want official recognition of some sort or just a place people can find you so they know you exist, list yourselves on the Wiki, make yourself a Wiki page, and post in the Realms List topic here on the boards.

And by board rep, he means a web presence. You don't strictly need it, but it helps you guys stay in contact with the rest of the sport. It's not anything official, he was just saying that all you need to be a realm is to exist.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Managarm » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 am

That being the case, we'll start on that this weekend. I go on the boards whenever I get the chance, so I'll most likely be the realms web contact. If you know anyone on Long Island in New York that was a previous member of another clan, or anyone in the area that would want to give Belegarth a try please spread the word. Thank you very much.

I really apreciate how "noob" friendly this online community is.
House of Fenris
DEVOUR THE COSMOS
Managarm
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:39 am

Be careful in assuming that everyone will be "noob" friendly. We definately have our share of *.

So long as you stick to the new member, and smithing forums you should be alright though. Most of us just want to see our game grow and include as many people as possible.

Remember to try searching for answers on the wiki first and then ask any clarifying questions you might have.

A short list of places to try putting posters:

Comic Shops
Gaming Stores
Libraries
Coffee Houses
College Dorms
YMCA or Recreation Center

Many of these places will have specific rules about what you post and how long it stays up. Colleges for example often require a stamped approval on all posters for their boards. For places of business just ask whoever is working and speak to the manager if they think you should.

Remember that the same poster won't get results in every situation. There have been a lot of disscussions in this forum on how to sell Belegarth to different groups. For example, you may want to highlight the roleplaying when you post in a comic shop, but tone it down and play up the physical "sport" nature of the game when posting in a Rec Center.

A problem you might run into is that not alot of people want to do the garb thing. It's important to remember that garb really doesn't have to be much more than a pair of black sweat-pants and no shirt (for guys) or a skirt and tank top (for girls).

I hope this helps, keep on working at it and you'll get your members.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:26 pm

There's a lot of good advice here:

http://belegarth.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22883
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Re: Finding people to start a realm

Postby Iwannafight » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 am

Just the fact its on long island is good for me. can you please keep me updated?
Oh man, Knew Id receve flak for this.......
Iwannafight
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Polearms, sword and bord

Postby Crynolyn » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:08 pm

hmmmm... what's up with the bots ?

Do you guys mind if I just delete these in the future ?
Crynolyn
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Oct 1999
Realm: Geek Fight Club
Unit: Dark Angels

Postby Derian » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Yeah, they get on every so often.

Feel free to delete any posts they make.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Recruitment Ideas