SCA Duke U instructional videos

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SCA Duke U instructional videos

Postby Kyrian » Wed May 07, 2008 3:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Duke+U+SCA+Trimaris&search_type=

I liked a lot of the drills, especially the double strike, and discussion in parts 7 and 8...Also, I liked that the instructors took the time to explain the whys of the different techniques.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Postby varadin » Wed May 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Nice find. Since i don't fight spear or two stick i didn't pay that much attention to the first couple vids. But part 6 where he starts talking about drill work is insane. The speed they are going at alone impresses me all the while making good solid shots and having the control to not take each others heads off speaks LOADS for the importance of drills. Sure its all about head shots but you angle a little different and foam thats a shoulder shot.

The block he shows I almost never use i just either go for a shield block or punch over with "the inferior block." Opened my eyes to the shot potential im missing out on.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed May 07, 2008 7:21 pm

the over(head? hand?) wrap drill would translate very well too, for a shoulder wrap. I don't know about the behind the head block, I sword and board so it's just a tuck, but drilling more "tuck wrap tuck wrap tuck wrap" with a second sword and board fighter is a pretty good idea.

I've been throwing pell shots now for about 2 weeks, and after the first few days I switched from an old double core I had (don't worry, it already failed) to a rattan sword. Night and day. I can only throw about half as many shots before I feel like I will risk injure to continue, but those 50 or so shots (It's more time, like 15 minutes, switching hands, doing whatever I can to prolong it) leave me feeling a burn for sure, it's pretty amazing.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Vitus » Wed May 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Slow work is -by far- more beneficial than whacking a pell for 15 minutes. Though, whacking a pell for five straight minutes is a good thing. You want to trick your body into adjusting to situations that are only slightly more stressfull than those you will commonly face. Five minutes of constant swinging in an armoured contest is like an eternity.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Sun May 25, 2008 3:28 pm

http://www.youtube.com/profile_play_list?user=GrimWarhawk

I made a playlist to view all 8 videos in a row. You can subscribe to it and watch them whenever.

Just tryin to be helpful.
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports