Moving in the fall...looking for fighting solutions!

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Moving in the fall...looking for fighting solutions!

Postby Xemeo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 pm

I've only recently started fighting again after a couple years off. And already I have made plans to move for the fall away from Dunharrow. I'll still be in the Chi 'burbs tho...

I'll be moving from Hoffman Estates ( a nice 20 minute drive from Elgin/Dunharrow) to Lansing, IL

What's my best bet for fighting on the south side? Travel west to the realms out there? Is there anything in Indiana Dag or otherwise? I'll be a short 110miles to Numenor for some Saturday practices in the fall. It'll be nice to beat on college freshmen again.

Now, as to why I am moving and other alternatives. I am moving to Lansing to teach biology at TFSouth High School. This will put me into contact with about 1800 students ages 14-18. In what ways can I either introduce students to the sport or avoid any complications which might arise from fighting with students.

Basically, if I try to build a realm...how do I do that? Do I include the local high school kids? Do I make it an in school club or an out of school club? How have the college realms gone about this? Do I build some kind of base realm before inviting students? Do I try to avoid contact with my students when sword fighting?

What do you think Belegarth?
Started up again...May 2008.
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2003
Realm: Dunharrow

Re: Moving in the fall...looking for fighting solutions!

Postby Dane » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm all for growing the game wherever possible. Some schools have started after school programs utilizing Belegarth equipment and rules; you could always go that route. However, you have to be careful about their involvement in the national aspect of the sport.

While we openly discourage underage drinking at events, we know it still happens, and if any of your students were to go to a national event, get hammered, and do something exceedingly stupid, it's likely that your butt is the first in line to get kicked by today's outraged parents that look to blame anyone but their own child for mistakes and idiocy.

I think for your own benefit, the best bet is to set up the group independent of the school, and then waiver the hell out of any high school-aged fighters you may have and refuse to chaperone them at national events. If another adult has signed off on the child and you're not an authoritative representative of a school program, you'll be much less liable to the school or the fighters' parents if anything bad happens.

In short, use your access to the students, set up your group independently of the school, and don't be responsible for your underage fighters at national events unless you really trust them.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:35 am

Don't get your students involved in the sport, period.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Xemeo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:23 am

I think it'll get a bit too complicated... Jimmy's right.

I wouldn't mind swinging sticks with anyone really. However, I would never be able to shed the authority of the classroom.

Back to the other options...

Driving to other practices and/or building a realm from scratch in whichever 'burb I choose to move to around Lansing.
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Postby Dane » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm

Growing the sport is uber cool, but in starting a realm, you're going to spend a lot of time fighting people that aren't going to challenge you to get better. You'll be the go-to guy for garb, weapons, and everything else related to the sport. If you've got the time to start a group while frequenting other practices, then awesome. If it's one or the other, then it comes down to what you want for yourself.

Do you want to grow a realm from its infancy or focus on your own development?
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Xemeo » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:12 am

We'll have to see what I have time for I suppose. And I think you're right...I need to make sure I know * is going on in the sport before I try to grow a realm. I'll require tutoring Dane, lots of tutoring!

It was a fun idea for afew days atleast. So what's my best bet out on the Southeast side of Chi?
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Postby Shyftir » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:13 am

My group fights in Romeoville. That's the closest I can think of in your area. And that would be like an hour drive or so. There has been some talk of another Muxlovian practice closer to Tinley Park. But that practice will only happen if I can find at least 5 other guys who would commit to showing up on a (fairly) regular basis.
MUXLOVIA

Clan Black-Hawk - Trueborn
Shyftir
Thug
Thug

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan Black-Hawk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board & Blue, Javelin

Postby Xemeo » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:44 pm

Bah, don't necro.

I've found a very close Dag practice (<5 miles) from my new place in lansing, IL. They fight over the border in Highland, IN. Unfortunately Im used to a more mature group of fighters. The local fare is all ~16 and more into the "LOOK THREE OF US MADE a Q=STAFF AND WE REFUSE TO FIGHT WITH ANYTHING ELSE BECAUSE WE TOOK KARATE FOR 3 WEEKS AND THE STAFF LOOKED COOL" type of thing....the caps were needed.

Also, if you've met me you may agree that Im pretty much an exactly average of a fighter for Belegarth. 50% Right on. The first two weeks I dont think I died once at this realm. Ever. Some of them are getting better fighting me, but more than half are still running at me full speed then trying to jump into me...patience is my virtue.

Im also stealthily working on some of my goofier freshmen and implanting the idea into their heads. The trick is to make it think it was their idea to start some type of fighting club. If I can mainstream it in the school I might accomplish something unique.

/thread dead
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Return to Recruitment Ideas