School?s (

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

School?s (

Postby setsukeuchiha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:29 am

Well, I'm starting High School, and I was wondering if there was a way i could get like an after school club formed for this, where during the school week (wednesdays?) from like 3:30 to 5 we have a practice, and Saturday we go the the actual Muxlovia practice.

This would help get the newbies (me included) better at a faster rate. I'm DEFINATELY not as good as 95% of the people doing this. But I'm better than the people who are just joining. I have a few friends that doon't understand some of the rules, so this would help them adjust better.

Any ideas how to get this started?

Belegarth
Medieval Full Combat Sword Fighting

Belegarth is a full combat sword fighting experience based on three rules. Safety, Fun, then Realism. First comes safety. All swords are padded with enough foam to dull the blows. The tips can't pass more than .5 inches through a 2.5 inch wide hole, to prevent people being accidentally being hit in the eye. Head shots aren't legal, and excessive force is looked down upon. If there are problems repeatedly the offender will be removed.
This sport would keep the participants in great shape when they're sports are out for the winter. Admittance would be based upon a flat entrance cost and which weapon they would like to use, any other tools they would have to get themselves. The entrance cost is up to your discretion, the weapons after collecting money we would provide.
Short Sword
Long Sword
Red Sword
Round Shield
Small Shield
25$
32$
45$
55$
45$

Safety is our number one concern, we would start the day with manual stretches to make sure no one gets harmed. Our rules are very simple, and they are meant to keep everyone safe.

1. NO HEADSHOTS. Our first rule is to maintain safety.
2. All weapons will be checked each practice to ensure safety.
3. Excessive force is discouraged, and any who continue to do so will be removed from the practice.
4. Arm shot, you put it behind your back. Leg shot you A: Go down on your knee IF you have kneepads, if not it cannot move, just pivot in place. Two limbs= you're out. One torso shot and you're out.
5. Any heralds (referees) calls are set in stone. Do not argue with them.
6. If you are found to hinder the safety aspect of the sport, you will be asked to leave.

Any other rules go to (B.O.W.)

Contact 815-730-9327 or email at setsukeuchiha17@comcast.net with any questions.

--OR--

Contact (insert Mike Hobbs' info here)

A full list of rules: http://belegarth.com/content/view/25/25/
Last edited by setsukeuchiha on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Atm: Sword and Shield

Re: School?s (

Postby Derian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:59 am

Go talk to whoever is in charge of the student activities.

I doubt you'd be able to get money for your endeavors (if you do, great!), but you might be able to get the ability to post filers and use school property.

You'll need to stress that the weapons are safe first and foremost. I would also bring up the athleticism part as well as the historical aspect. You might want to take a very well crafted weapon to show them as well.

It would probably also help to see if you can get a contact (an adult, probably) from Muxlovia to help vouch.

If you actually get anywhere with this, you may want to contact Edhellen -- I believe they have actually sold weapons to schools for gym use in the past. They may be able to lend some advice.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Theros the Large » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:03 pm

Talking to Peregrine, the leader of Muxlovia would be a good first step. He is a great guy who will be able to give you a lot of information about starting a school group.
Theros the Large
House Hellhammer
Squire to Sir Killian
Master of House Buffet
Rancor Keeper
Theros the Large
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2000

Postby Porthos » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:56 pm

I talked to a couple professors down here at ISU about starting a High School club out of this (One of them had a law degree and worked for a district for 5 or 6 years as an educational attorney and I had friends who wanted to try to get it started where I went to high school in Algonquin). They said that chances are, it probably wouldn't fly due to the relatively larger possibility of people getting hurt in comparison to other clubs. Yes, I understand football could be considered to be way more dangerous, but the fact is people will support the football team before the local Belegarth club.

But, my school had a "Gaming Club" set up after school- you might be able to start something like that and just have it be the schools "nerd club" with board games, Belegarth, etc. People would be engaging at thier own risk, on thier own time, but on school property.

All in all, this probably will prove to be a tough endevor because of how uptight people are getting with students getting hurt. Just look at the disappearence of dodgeball....
"I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write." -Claude Marie Arouet (Voltaire)

"To limit the press is to insult a nation; to prohibit reading of certain books is to declare the inhabitants to be either fools or slaves"- Claude Andre Helvetius
Porthos
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2007
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Polearms, Board and Sword/Flail

Postby setsukeuchiha » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:41 pm

ok saturday ill talk to peregrine about it, then ill talk to my councelor later
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Xemeo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:04 am

im interested to see how this goes.
Started up again...May 2008.
Xemeo
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2003
Realm: Dunharrow

Postby setsukeuchiha » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:14 pm

AH i forgot. dangit.
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Postby setsukeuchiha » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:50 pm

is there like a paper that explains what this is, how its safe, and like a waiver on the bottom?
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:42 am

If you can avoid it, don't show them the waiver. The usual belegarth waiver makes the sport seem far more dangerous than it actually is.

As has been stated, you'll need to be very careful about how you explain what you're doing. Stay away from words like full-contact and combat.

Nan Belegorn tried to start a high school club a number of years ago and were turned down summarily when they figured out what it is we do. You can sometimes use the school for recruiting even if you're not an 'official' club.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Roland Demox » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:19 am

Porthos of The Wolfpack wrote:Just look at the disappearence of dodgeball....

All we do is call it a different name now. Its still played, we just found a way around it. Scatter Ball, or Gutter Ball is the same thing essentially. ;)
Brother of the Falcon
Squire to Sir Guts the Killa Bee
Roland Demox
the Casual

Started Fighting: 08 Feb 2008
Realm: Slums of Shaolin
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby setsukeuchiha » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:30 am

dissapearance of dodgeball? where? only difference is its called like 4 corner or 2 sided ball at my middle school
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Peregrine » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:19 am

Foam Combat for Physical Education by L. David Trott aka Peregrine

Why Foam Combat? As a child, I always had a love for the old swashbuckling movies and spent much time battling my neighborhood friends with wooden swords. Later in life after becoming a teacher, I observed a group of boys playing swords with sticks during recess. Realizing that this was dangerous but not wanting to stifle their creativity, I went to the local hardware store and bought PVC pipe insulation and duct tape. I then went home and constructed enough swords for my entire 5th and 6th grade history classes. After teaching a lesson about the feudal system and the code of chivalry, I brought out the swords and had a knighting ceremony for the students. Then they took markers and named their swords. We used them for gym class where we played a game of Capture the Flag. It was at this point that I realized there was great potential for using foam combat as a teaching platform and formed an after school fighting club that met twice a week. I later adapted it to a gym class that met once a week.

Getting Approval When seeking approval by school administration, try to think ahead of any questions that they might ask. If you can answer all of their questions in your presentation, this will help them see that you are serious and responsible. Showing the administration a video of a typical event might prove helpful. Think about what concerns they are likely to have. Safety First First of all, they will want to make sure that it is going to be safe for those who are participating. Do your homework. What school activities are there that are more dangerous? Football? Gymnastics? Bring a sample of the weapons that will be used. Make sure that it is broken in enough to be soft. New weapons can feel a little stiff. Point out the fact that the weapons are completely padded. No core is exposed. Explain that rules are designed with safety in mind (i.e. no head shots, no leg shots below the knee).

Application Their next concern will be what the kids will get out of it. It is enjoyable exercise. They will learn how to work with others and function as team. They will learn leadership qualities and have a sense of belonging to a group (one of the factors that can keep kids from seeking gang affiliation). Other subjects such as history can be integrated by recreating historical battles like the invasion of England in 1066. These activities make historical events more appealing to the students and bring history from dry facts on a page to a point of interest. By creating costumes, you are exposing the students to creative arts and getting them to identify with other cultures and teaching them to research historical people and events. They will learn factors that led to the conflicts and how they were resolved.

Cost When compared to other activities, the equipment cost is low.

Implementation Is it going to be used as a gym class, as an after-school club, or as an elective course? It has been my experience that children who are involved in this program have found a creative outlet, gained a sense of accomplishment, formed friendships, and have become more interested in school.

Rule Change Suggestions

No kicking of shields No bashing with shields Target area from shoulder to knee to avoid tripping and sprained ankles Assigning different attributes to weapons to depict the setting (i.e. having axes go through armor but not two-handed swords to show how the Normans had to adjust to the new concept of the battle axe. I like the idea of only axes being class two weapons. I think that it brings better balance to the game play.)

Suggested Ranking System

Level One Pages or Men at Arms Level Two Squires Level Three Knights Level Four Lords

Lesson Plan Suggestions Day one: Hand out the rules and explain the combat system. Arrange students in a circle facing in. Have students spar with instructor to learn the system of combat. Day two: Review rule system. Divide students into sparing partners. Have one pair at a time enter the circle and spar. Point out any rule violations and give helpful suggestions. Day three: Allow students to break up into sparing partners and “duel.” Day four: Divide students into two teams and fight in battles. (having two color sets of weapons helps or having students wear different color headbands)

Tactics Some class time should be spent teaching tactics of different armies (i.e. Roman phalanx, Saxon shield wall, use of English archers, flanking maneuvers.)

Historical Tie In How did the feudal system work? What event created the need for the feudal system? What facilitated the rise of the political power of the church?

Other Possible Subject Integration A History A Art A Drama A Literature Benefits A Exercise A Leadership A Discipline A Team work

Other Games for Lesson Plans

Four Corners Divide students into four teams. Send each team to one corner of battle area. When you call that realm’s name or number, they fight. When individuals are killed, they return to their corner until their realm is called again. Optional - fighters who are still on the field when their realm is called have their wounds healed.

Out Numbered Sometimes when recreating an actual battle, one side is extremely out numbered or armed with inferior weapons. Try to recreate the same disadvantages on the field.

Knights Versus Peasants Have a small but better armed group take on superior numbers (i.e. knights have swords, shields, javelins and armor, but peasants have only swords.) Romans To help understand the difference in battle tactics, javelins become pilum. This enables javelins to disable the shields.
Retrieved from "http://www.geddon.org/index.php/Peregrine"

Categories: People | Publications
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Cib » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:58 am

Wow, good article!
Creativity is Key
The truth begs for scrutiny, but lies beg for tolerance.
Cib
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Arderyth
Unit: Mercenaries of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Spear

Postby setsukeuchiha » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:57 pm

thats like... the Shakespear of Belegarth...
setsukeuchiha
Toadie
Toadie

Return to Recruitment Ideas