Russian and Georgian War

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Russian and Georgian War

Postby Silver » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:36 am

Seriously this war is soo screwed up. The Russians have brought their tanks and aircraft into South Ossetia and have already bombed the hell out of one of the ports. It is true that most the South Ossetians are Russian citizens I believe because they hold passports, but it looks like from what I read is that South Ossetia is supposed to be part of Georgia and is trying to break away and become independent. To counter this the Georgians moved in their military to drive the rebel separatists out and Russia responded by saying that Georgia is attacking Russian citizens in South Ossetia or something like that. And now the Russians have opened a second front by launching assualts on the separattist region of the pro-Georgian districts of Abkhazia.

Latest Casualty Reports
Russians:-
21 soldiers dead
150 wounded
South Ossetians:-
1600+ (civilians) and Soldiers
Georgians:-
300 approx. (mostly civilians)

A news url: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... hazia.html
Praetorian Silver- No Better Friend. No Worse Enemy
Silver
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: None atm
Unit: Orodrim [unofficial unit]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Re: Russian and Georgian War

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:11 pm

King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Orion Nomad » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:25 pm

Yeah, were screwed. Putin is a fuggin genius. Oil has already started to climb again and He controls it. They (Russia) have gone from a third world, corrupt,unable to feed itself,hole in the wall. Post Ronnie Reagon to the big guy on the block. Able to do what they want with impunity, and he did it on the opening day of the Olympics .Way smart. Bush has spent more time watchin the swimmers than tryin to figure out which finger goes on the Nuke button. All he could say was "Ive spoken firmly with my friend Vladimir."
It should be Vlad the Impaler cause he shoved that gas pump right where the sun dont shine.
An were suckin hind tit.
Orion Nomad
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1983

Postby Thanatos » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:48 pm

Before this post tumbles into useless american VS Russian idiocy, lets have the facts.

Ossetia is an independent state, however not internationally recognised and still thought of as part of georgia. Russia backed ossetia's independence and gave many ossetians russian passports, and moved in Peacekeeping soldiers to keep geogia out. the Georgian president sent in troops to regain the southern half of ossetia. doing this Putin attacked with the russian army to drive out the invading georgians. then pushed them all the way back to half way into georgia almost to the capital city (speculation), as well as mobilising the Black sea fleet and blockading Georgia's main port, sinking a georgian naval vessel. Plus russia also bombed georgia. russia did the right thing, they just took it to far. never giving up the chance to flex a little military muscle. shouldn't really be called a war, a war indecates two sides fighting. this was one side being wiped from the map. heehee
Mountian clansmen of orodrim
Thanatos
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: None
Unit: Orodrim
Favorite Fighting Styles: single one-handed sword, two swords, two handed sword.

Postby Davit » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:52 pm

Something you are forgetting to mention is that Ossetia is only an independent state in the eyes of the Russians (perhaps some others but I've not seen any evidence of this), it is not a UN recognized state. According to the treaties and such that we are a part of, Georgia has every right to deploy troops to keep its country together. The troop movements by Russia however even if they were only into Ossetia, are an invasion of Russia, and the newer troop movements are blockading the Georgian capital.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Vargus » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:50 pm

Figured I'd throw my two cents in here. First off Putin is not a genius. If he thinks that the EU and USA aren't going to be * about this and that it won't have economic consequences he's gonna be in for a surprise. Secondly Russia doesn't control the entire worlds oil supply. They don't even control all of the Caspian seas production capabilities let alone South America's or the Middle East. I'm not sure where you're seeing gas prices rise but out in Virginia i just filled up for $3.48 around the D.C. area. Georgia hasn't just been in full retreat either. They've shot down anywhere from 4(Moscow's count) to 20(Georgia's count) Russian aircraft. For the most part aside for some Russian looting the whole things died down now anyways. Personally while i think our non-involvement in the whole affair is probably better in the short term it sets a dangerous precedent for the other ex-soviet states. Look out for more Soviet empire building in the future.
Vargus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Silver » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 pm

I agree with Davit. South Ossetia is a rebel state and Georgia has every right to take back South Ossetia from the Rebels. South Ossetia was originally part of Georgia and the rebel separatist took control of South Ossetia and broke away from Georgia. Abkhazia is the same. Georgia has every right to reclaim what was taken from them because if this continues, other states of Georgia will get the idea and attempt to break away from Georgia aswell. Therefore Russia has no right to move troops into South Ossetia because South Ossetia is still considered as part of Georgia therefore the Russians have officially invaded Georgia. They have also opened a second front in Abkhazia which is also an invasion. Georgia needs to keep its country together. If most South Ossetians were given Russian passports, perhaps the Russians want to merge with South Ossetia and their excuse will be that the South Ossetians wanted to merge when they take over it and any fighting will be just some disagreements. Don't you find it weird how all the fighting occurs in oil suppy countries. If you ask me, Russian is after the oil in Georgia. The USA has every right to be * about this because Georgia is an Ally of the USA. All this planning for Russia to invade Georgia has been going on for years and they choose to attack at the opening of the olympics while all the other world powers are too busy watching the swimming (as Nomad quoted it). And I also agree with Vargus, Vladimir Putin is not a genus, he is just a power hungry maniac who wants to control the worlds oil supply.
Silver
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:51 am

Saying that a sovereign nation is justified in attempting to put down a rebelling and seceding state that is, according to that sovereign nation, part of itself is a very interesting point of view. Maybe it's just because I'm one of those fringey libertarian nutcases, but I think that if a state rebels, gains external support for its rebellion, and then succeeds at seceding, then, well... good for them.

What do you think happened in the American Revolution?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby debuenzo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:41 am

similar yes, but russia doesn't want to give ossetia it's independence

it wants to invade and claim it

i would be all for aiding nations in declaring independence and sovereignty, but this is outright imperialism

and it must be stopped!

TEAM AMERICA, GO!!!
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Hatchet » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 am

yes, but russia doesn't want to give ossetia it's independence

it wants to invade and claim it

I would agree with this statement.

gas pump right where the sun dont shine.

Hehe... gas has actually gone down in Georgia[usa] a few cents since the war started.
Hatchet
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2006
Unit: CuSith

Postby bo1 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:47 am

i need much more info before i can make an educated descision. but from the surface, i support the new wanna be nation on principle.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:35 pm

I am currently in agreement with Bo. My earlier statements were based on very little information about what is actually going on.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Juicer » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:02 am

THE RED MENACE IS ON THE MOVE!!! QUICK! TO THE BOMB SHELTERS!!!
Zwei ap Owen wrote:Juicer sho' nuff loves tuh shuffle.

Juiceros, the Deceptron. Kwisatz Haderach Musketeer from the future
Go headbutt a bullet.
Juicer
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 10 Aug 2004
Realm: Babylon. Blood in blood out.
Unit: HH
Favorite Fighting Styles: Brass knucks

Postby Orion Nomad » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm

Read this weeks TIME mag. Puttin wants to put the Old Soviet Union Back together.
There room in my shelter for ya Juice.
You gotta bring yer own beer .
Orion Nomad
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1983

Postby Vargus » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:06 pm

I find this to be interesting that people are actually siding with Russia on this. If we where to recognize chechneya, start giving US passports to chechneyan citizens, and then invade into the areas of Russia immediatley surrounding chechneya it would basically be the same thing. Does anybody honestly think that Russia wouldn't be * at that? News update Russia's going to annex south osetia http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 635843.ece
Vargus
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Silver » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:30 am

Silver wrote:perhaps the Russians want to merge with South Ossetia

Just as I thought as did a few others. Russia wanted to merge with South Ossetia and it did. This should explain that Vladimir Putin is trying to rebuild the old USSR.
Silver
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:14 am

Arrakis wrote:Saying that a sovereign nation is justified in attempting to put down a rebelling and seceding state that is, according to that sovereign nation, part of itself is a very interesting point of view. Maybe it's just because I'm one of those fringey libertarian nutcases, but I think that if a state rebels, gains external support for its rebellion, and then succeeds at seceding, then, well... good for them.

What do you think didn't happen in the war of Northern Aggression?

ftfy

Just remember, a rebellion is only a rebellion until it succeeds. After that it's a Revolution.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics