College Realms

How To Promote Membership

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

College Realms

Postby Vehx » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:14 pm

One thing that could bring lots of people to Belegarth is to start realms at colleges. I am currently attending college, and many people have expressed interest in such a group, and the administration (so far) has not said anything against it. If a realm was started at many of the major colleges, more people would take notice of Belegarth, and be more inclined to join.

This is just a thought, and i would like to know what people think about it...
Vehx
Recruit
Recruit

Re: College Realms

Postby Mercer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:21 pm

There are a number of college-based groups already in existence, and you're right, they do see a lot of interest. I would suggest that, if you're seeing interest, you start building loaner weapons and get those interested together for public practices where passers-by can see and try it out.
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Derian » Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:55 pm

Yeah, I would go so far as to say that the majority of realms are based out of, or at least loosely affiliated with colleges.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby debuenzo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:18 am

sounds great!

have waivers and LOTS of loaner swords...maybe even loaner garb

also, try to become "friends" w/ new members so they come back
ie....go out to eat, movie, game, etc
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby Davit » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Look around this section, there are many good ideas and thoughts about how to help things get started, another spot to look is the new members section, I know there are some posts in there that should help you out. Good luck with anything, and if you have some more specific questions keep em coming, I know we all want more people in the sport.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Unaki » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am

Colleges are excellent sources :D

Our realm started at the assend of our high school careers and it was just friends and since we moved onto college, our numbers have grown quite a bit. Of course, we are also within a close distance to dur demarion.

If you want to make a realm in a college, I think you have to okay it with the school and make it a club in order to be allowed to continue practices. Make sure to stage your practices in a high-traffic area for the most on-lookers. Good traffic areas should be recreation centers on campus with a big open grassy spot for fighting
Lord of House Xys' Tel and Bowling Green's resident smartass
Unaki
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:21 pm

I guess it's worth checking with a college, but I don't think you need to be a student organization in order to have a Belegarth realm. That is, unless you want to practice on University property or get funding.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby HesinRaca » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 pm

Tir Na Nog was started in Eugene (University of Oregon) where I currently am by Acorn, Rocca, TImid, and Wolf, and Myself I suppose. Sort of got "organized last may, and we have 50+ waivers signed, with about 10-20 being the average practice size. Not bad.

THen again, having the DPS and club sports people on your side reeeeeally helps.
HesinRaca
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Unaki » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:03 pm

HesinRaca wrote:Tir Na Nog was started in Eugene (University of Oregon) where I currently am by Acorn, Rocca, TImid, and Wolf, and Myself I suppose. Sort of got "organized last may, and we have 50+ waivers signed, with about 10-20 being the average practice size. Not bad.

THen again, having the DPS and club sports people on your side reeeeeally helps.

And to add to that, try and get a story in the college newspaper if you have one. It really does help :D

Magpie, we really have no choice. Its either on campus or in parks near high schools or a skate park...We all know how a bunch of people fighting each other in "goofy" clothes with foam weapons looks to a bunch of high school jocks that cant say anything bigger than 2 syllables without having to think.

And I quote "What are you guys doin'!? Is that Dragonball Z and Yu-Gi-Oh?" Where DBZ and YGO can be taken from bel, I dont know

Plus, we might actually be able to get transportation to events that arent within driving reach since we are becoming an organization.
Lord of House Xys' Tel and Bowling Green's resident smartass
Unaki
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Vehx » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Thanks for all the ideas, I'm pretty sure I could get the school paper to put up an article if I can get the realm started, and once I figure out if I have (or can quickly get a hold of) anything I need to start the realm, I'll talk to the Dean.
Vehx
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ventus » Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:14 pm

Some experience based advice on doing a Bel realm on a college campus.

1. Make sure your friendly to those whom come up to watch. There have been a few times where I've been surprised that the people who would make fun of it, would often try it, and occasionally like it. Something to note is that recruiting Bel fighters can be like picking up women. Usually, ya gotta make the first move.

2. Public practice field. This is definitely more difficult to achieve, depending on the campus. We're blessed with a fantastic field right near the center of campus and our location has given us great exposure.

3. Don't get discouraged. Colleges are where people try new things. Sometimes people will try it, and just not stick around. It's okay. Just keep plugging away and you will gain more and more people.

4. Do your research and find out what it takes to become an RSO (Recognized Student Organization) with your Uni. You will probably have to communicate with a student life office or something to that effect. Even if your school doesn't do funding, the RSO will give you more legitimacy on campus, and usually several other perks. For example, Ameth doesn't receive any funding, but we get an indoor practice gym. Go go college dollars at work.

5. Identical weapons / shields. This one is a tad more complex to explain, however it's something that we've found to be an influencing factor. 3 friends walk up. Out of those three 1 or 2 of them will be slightly better, leaving the 3rd frustrated. We've found that by handing them similar weapons, and offering more help to the odd man out, that we have better odds of keeping all three of them interested in it, then losing all of them because one or two believe it to be "stupid"

6. Consistency. With 2 practices a week, at a constant time, you'll be sure to pick up some fighters.

I'm sure I could come up with more, during the past year and a half I've compiled page after page of personal notes on what I felt I could have done better personally. Ideas I've had, all that stuff. Keep me posted with all of your success man!
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Ventus
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Ameth
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red w/ Buckler, Sword and Board

Postby Shadus » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Mizzou (University of Missouri, Columbia MO) group.
http://www.geocities.com/muboffer

One of the things our school likes is teams and competing against other schools. So we have decided to create a Jugging team and we would love to have some school based teams to play against, as the school will pay for the trip. Can't ask for more than that.
We have the Jugging Rules posted on our site. I'm sure most of you have heard of it before.
I'm not on here too much, so email me/us if you want to try to set something up in the future.

Oh, and I've had many articles and news spots done for the chapters I've started in college towns, but nothing beats having your own TV show on the college network. From 4 fighters to 80 in 3 months. It's a lot of work filming and editing the weekly shows, but if you can do it, you should never pass it up. Student run TV rules.
Sir Shadus
Don't take me seriously, you don't have permission.
Mor Uruk
Mu Boffer
If you insist on taking me seriously you must call me by my full serious name: El Presidente Prospectivo Lord Lord Goth-Mautor Tech-Sergeant Sifu Sir Shadus “sexy” al'Shattersong Grat Tor Mor Uruku, a.k.a. “Thong-man” King of Sin Night
Shadus
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Mu Boffer
Unit: Mor Uruk

Return to Recruitment Ideas