SCA Kit

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

SCA Kit

Postby Spyn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:00 am

So when i return from Iraq i am putting together a SCA kit.. I was looking for Stainless steel or Aluminum for the materials. Any one have a idea of websites to peruse other than the AA.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Re: SCA Kit

Postby Physic » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 am

How much are you looking to spend? What style are you into? Do you want something that is period or do you want stick jock gear?
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Spyn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 am

Jock gear of course..lighter the better. Prolly no more than 2 or 3 grand. Depends on how good i thought it was. Good shoulder and arm torso coverage.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Postby Judas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:17 am

If your budget is 2 or 3 grand you should be able to get what ever you want. You can get everything you need in spring steel from stonekeep: http://spiers-saddlery.stores.yahoo.net/index.html It would be light and very protective.
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:44 am

Spyn:

I think that you want Icefalcon's gear. It's lightweight (especially the aluminum), very sturdy, extremely protective, and also has an excellent guarantee. Duke Andreas is an honest guy who takes his business seriously. (And I am not just saying that because he invited me to fight with his house)

The website is http://www.icefalcon.com/

Be aware, though, that you need to make a more concerted effort at period gear than you would for Bel or Amt or Dag; I recommend something in the Viking or Saxon department, so you can wear whatever concealed armor you want underneath a pretty simple tunic + hosen getup.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Postby Winfang » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:16 am

Icefalcon has got to be the best SCA armory out there. Some of the stuff is a bit pricey, but his customer service is top-notch.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:38 am

If you are going total stainless, you can't beat Waldryk in Calontir. WOW is he good. Reasonable prices too. You should find him on line pretty easy. What are you doing over in Iraq anyway?

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:59 pm

NO, not Waldryk. I placed an order (and a deposit) for a helm with him three and a half years ago, I was lied to several times about when it was ready (supposedly, I received my helm two years ago...) and so far I have not been able to get in touch with him, online or otherwise.

As for Icefalcon: his armory is definitely the best out there. He produces gear quickly, has a lot of stuff in stock, is very easy to get ahold of, and has the best customer service out there. His armor itself isn't the prettiest or most historically accurate, but it's quite nice for its purpose and it will last forever (mostly because he personally guarantees all the welds).
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Wisp » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Wow Magnus, sorry to hear that. Almost all of my kit is from Waldryk and it's of the best quality and was extremely reasonable. Less than half what other armorers were charging at the time. My kit is also over six years old now too and I live in Calontir where Waldryk is located so I got my stuff local and before he was really famous as an armorer. Guess the customer service has gone way down. I like him because his stuff is amazing. That really sucks though man.

As for Ice Falcon... Spyn... If you buy Ice Falcon, can I call you Macavelli Jr (yes, it's misspelled just like Mac does)? Maybe he still has some of those Saracen moon and star emblems he can attach to the armor like Macs? LOL

Ice Falcon does look neat though, in a uber gothic vampire kind of way. :axed:

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Winfang » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:46 pm

I only try to stick to in-stock items. When I'm ready to buy something, I want it now. Here are the armories that I've dealt with and continue to deal with.

Bokalo - http://www.bokalosarmoury.com/ Good cheap aluminum. Customer service is very good too. You can find him at Pennsic too.
Icefalcon - http://icefalcon.com/ A bit pricey, but high-quality stainless. I constantly hear about Icefalcon awesome customer service stuff. He's got probably the most in-stock items too. Again, another Pennsic person.
Windrose - http://www.windrosearmoury.com/ Mild and Stainless. Good all-around armor. I've only bought shields and hardware, but I wouldn't go anywhere else. +++ For Pennsic.
Stonekeep - http://spiers-saddlery.stores.yahoo.net ... andar.html Mild, Stainless, Spring, and Plastic. Prices can't be beat either.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:36 am

Winfang wrote:Icefalcon has got to be the best SCA armory out there. Some of the stuff is a bit pricey, but his customer service is top-notch.

QFT.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Spyn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:50 am

Stonekeep is what its looking like, mainly because he lives in Lufkin Tx. Thats about a 2 hour drive for me to go see. I used to regularly drive to lufkin to go play amtgard. thanks for all the tips. I appreciate it.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Postby Physic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 am

Stonekeep has a great reputation.

Since I know you are very mobile Spyn I would recomend that you look at equipment that does not bind the hips or shoulders. Im a big fan of bazuband style arm armor. They cover the joint but do not impede mobility. Most of the leg armor you will see hangs from the hips. I used to fight in a leg harness that did this and I had nothing but problems with my mobility. It would bind when I was on my knees and never gave me full movement. The reason it is popular in the SCA is that without the lower leg shots people dont move as much and they offer great protection. I would suggest either shovel greaves that cover the knees or go with a floating knee cop and use padded street hockey shorts to cover your thighs. Shoulder and body arent as important since you probaly wont get hit there often other then thrusts. When Im sword and board I fight with just a kidney belt and my right shoulder covered. If I use my glaive I will cover both shoulders.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Vitus » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:12 am

The most important questions are these-

1. What era do you want to do?
2. How historically accurate do you want to get.

Answer these questions first.
Sean A. Garrison
--------------------
Known in the Current Middle Ages as Sir Vitus von Atzinger, knight of the SCA and tenan of the Great House Stahlgeist.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:43 am

My approach to my SCA kit is all about the way I fight and the weapon I use.
I Haven't ever cared about period and I have no persona.
I'm Forkbeard all the time, baby.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Spyn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:04 pm

Its really just about the armor for myself. I am Spyn inside and outside of any game i ever play. I like to hit people and am considered very good at in various games. What has held me back from competing in SCA is the helms i have tried. Most felt like a giant overly heavy blindfold. Once i get a helm that i like, thats what i will be. Prolly get more armor than i need and thin that kit down until i am confortable fighting in the new enviorment. Its really about trying new things. Some of my SCA friends are total living history kinda guys and gals. They know i am just a jock with a stick.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:41 pm

It is perfectly reasonable to build your kit around the armor that you like. That's what I'm doing, anyway.

If visibility is an issue, I would recommend a helm like this:

As you can see, it has open barwork all the way around, so it doesn't cut down on your peripheral vision. Moreover, the brim will keep your face shaded from bright sunlight.

Or, you could try something like this:

Very low-profile, good visibility, and the bar grill is also removable, so you could use it for other fighting sports/bike riding.
Knight of Taurendor

MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Forkbeard » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:10 pm

I would love to see more cyclists in steel helmets! :devil:
That's funny, and expensive.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Cairbre » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:45 pm

MagnusofDregoth wrote:As you can see, it has open barwork all the way around, so it doesn't cut down on your peripheral vision. Moreover, the brim will keep your face shaded from bright sunlight.

Moreover every single shot to your head will be completely absorbed by that brim.. please please by a helm just like this.
-Sir Cairbre Madøg
Sir Cairbre
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 1997
Realm: FightColumbus
Unit: Uruk-hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Round Shield and Short Sword.

Postby Vitus » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 pm

I see, but you can be Forkbeard and still not be a samurai carrying a heater shield or a Viking carrying a Roman scutum.
Although the mixing of eras and harness was a definite early thing in the SCA.
You would be Forkbeard no matter what you wore, but why look like a Forkbeard that doesn't know anything about historical warriors when you could be a Forkbeard who does?
There is the inside guy- that is you and your ideas and then there is the image you present, which is a courtesy to those who long after glimpses of historical reality. The inside guy can have all types of ideas while still trying to make the field a more beautiful and historically accurate place.
To do otherwise is selfish.
But of course, some people like bumming other people out...nothing wrong with that if you can handle the payback.
:devil:
Sean A. Garrison
--------------------
Known in the Current Middle Ages as Sir Vitus von Atzinger, knight of the SCA and tenan of the Great House Stahlgeist.
Vitus
Underling
Underling

Postby Judas » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Forkbeard wrote:My approach to my SCA kit is all about the way I fight and the weapon I use.
I Haven't ever cared about period and I have no persona.
I'm Forkbeard all the time, baby.
FB

I’ve always thought you named yourself after Sweyn Forkbeard form the A-S Chronicle.
You can’t go taking the cool names if you don’t care about period and persona ;)
ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:11 am

I got my name from a Conan Book. And the fact I grow a nice beard helps.
My kit is all hardened leather. It looks Medieval, not period. I don't use moderen **** in it.
I'll start building a period kit of YOUR choosing when you get rid of all those chodes in blue plastic armor.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:05 am

Vitus wrote:I see, but you can be Forkbeard and still not be a samurai carrying a heater shield or a Viking carrying a Roman scutum.
Although the mixing of eras and harness was a definite early thing in the SCA.
You would be Forkbeard no matter what you wore, but why look like a Forkbeard that doesn't know anything about historical warriors when you could be a Forkbeard who does?
There is the inside guy- that is you and your ideas and then there is the image you present, which is a courtesy to those who long after glimpses of historical reality. The inside guy can have all types of ideas while still trying to make the field a more beautiful and historically accurate place.
To do otherwise is selfish.
But of course, some people like bumming other people out...nothing wrong with that if you can handle the payback.
:devil:

You... don't know.... Forkbeard very well. I don't know him that well either, having met briefly in person and other than that the boards, but I'd put money on these 2 facts:

1. Until Forkbeard knows you, your happiness can eat a fat bag of * where his is involved.

2. Forkbeards armor makes Forkbeard very, very happy.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 am

Big Jimmy wrote:
2. Forkbeards armor makes Forkbeard very, very happy.

QFT!!!!
Watching him make the stuff is awesome! Every time I go over to his house he has got some new piece to show. He makes it look so easy too! I hate him for that.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Wisp » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:06 pm

I'm not a big fan of period anything in Belegarth, Dag, Amtgard, or anything else foam related. When it comes to SCA, conforming is a totally different ball game though. If you wave your middle finger at the powers that be over things like garb, armor, whatever... you only hurt yourself. Heres two examples that spring to mind...

My pal X in the last SCA kingdom I played in (won't name him because don't wanna embarrass him) is a solid fighter. Has been in the SCA for a lot of years. He's been a Squire for a loooooooooooong time. He asked his Knight what he needed to do to be considered for elevation and was told that his Kit just isn't good enough. He needs to make more effort in his period garb, his armor is too mundane, he uses kydex basket hilts, etc etc... basically, try to put more effort into conforming to the expected opinions of the peerage. Now, this guy has thumbed his nose at conforming for a long time. It's all about the beat stick for him by and large. He has since reconsidered and has taken a lot of drastic measures to try and bring himself up to what his Knight and the other Knights in Kingdom expect. He has a lot of ground to make up but he's on his way.

My other friend came from the world of LARP. He had what I would consider good armor for Bel or Dag that was passable (or at least usable) for SCA. He had a lot of fantastic flair about his kit. Skulls, obvious fantasy tooling in the leather, that kind of stuff... His heraldry was a big white skull on top of an axe. Guy is an excellent fighter. First on the field, last off. He had a lot of respect from people for being able to push and push with the field effort but no one would take him seriously. He was not allowed to enter the lists on several occasions based off of his refusing to conform with the heraldry and armor. Point here is, if you thumb your nose too hard, you just don't play. In this case, it wasn't a matter of "rules" on garb or period nature of armor, but the monarchy exercised it's right of discretion on who is allowed to enter their list.
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Postby tvetree » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:46 pm

I would suggest putting together an SCA legal kit first,Protect what you need to.Many groups have plenty of fighters in nothing more than sport armour with only a tabbard to hide it from the masses.For the longest time my armour was a plated Denium jacket with the sleeves cut off.

Just like gobblins(in bel) if it is for you ...you will go the needed extra steps to find a kit that you like and fits your SCA needs.

As Sir Vitus put it Forkbeard will always be Forkbeard no matter what armour He wears.If He can find a more sca Freindly look,he will still be Forkbeard.The bar has been raised quit a bit,as far as looking the part goes.

Edit to add: I'm haven't seen it but You bel body Armour should all ready meet any sca needs.Add some sca legal Elbows/ Knees and a Hat.Your set come on out and play.
Just visiting...
tvetree
Scout
Scout

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports