Leather Tips

Leather, Chain and Plate

Moderators: Enderonimus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Leather Tips

Postby Jcollins » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:03 am

I work leather and along the way Ive learned some tricks from others and just on my own

Designs-
Depending on your own artistic aptitude you can simply draw the pattern of what your looking for on a piece of paper...or use tracing paper if its a specific design you need to replicate perfectly.

be aware that when you begin carving the leather the lines will expand... so if your design calls for many small lines use the same pattern on some practice pieces of leather to ensure your going to get the exact cut you want.

Applying the Pattern -
This can be done a number of ways...most often once I've got the design down I'll take a Bic ball point pen or a fine tip pen (that has NO ink)and then moisten the leather are where I'll be working (depending on size) tape down the pattern to the leather and the go over the lines of the design making sure I'm going "with the grain" of the leather
Note: lifting the pattern to make sure you hit all the lines

After I've got my design all prepped I'll go over the design with a swivel knife (as needed for the design) Sometimes if its just a decorative piece I'll just go over the lines again with the ink less pen pressing harder to get a deeper "Cut"

(*note: Make sure all your carving, cutting, stamping work is done before moving on to applying the color...sounds silly I know...just double check your work)

Edging
If your piece calls for it then I'll bevel the edges of what Im working on after words you can take a few different products to help you make the edges smooth
1) a diluted amount of tragacanth gum
2) Spit
3) small amount of Extra virgin olive oil

I use an edge slicker...which is a polished piece of Animal Bone Tandy sells and then run over the edge back and forth until it feels smooth. The other option is taking a modified piece of the edge slicker and attaching it to a drill to get a faster smoother effect (which I've done several times for items Ive made)

*I"ve run into instances where tragacanth gum seems to be a bit resistant to applying dyes afterwords.. the diluted amount seems to be the best option for this.

Applying Dye
Again there is going to be a many ways to apply the color you want I personally since buying an Airbrush wont really go back to anything else except for the very few times when I need to use a paintbrush.

- Cotton head Daubers: (Only when you have nothing else )
- Paint Brushes
- Airbrush
- Sharpie

Color types
Cova Paint works well if you want solid colors (made for leather)
Fiebings Leather Dyes
Eco-Flow Paints (Made for leather
Sharpies

I've found so long as its oil based the leather will take it...just run a few test strips before you commit to using the product. Ultimately the more you experiment the more you'll find your own tips and tricks.

*Sharpies are good for touch up...if you see a really small spot or if your going to be putting a Cova or Eco Flow style paint on the leather a layer of the Sharpie wont hurt in case of any scratching or chipping.

Making the item pop
I like to apply a layer of Blackrock oil goop over the finished project after its had time to dry.
*Note: Be careful sometimes you'll get some dyes and paints that will bleed when the oil is apply.

If an art project I'll apply a clear coat lacquer (for acrylic paints) , if for Armor or similar a Neat-lack or sealer is a must

--------------

Hope this helps some...I skimmed a few pieces but as with all things in time you'll see what works best in your process and what doesnt.
I hope this helps some.

Below is a piece I made.. I applied Sharpie to the colored areas to get a feel for what it would look like... I actually hand painted the colors on (I hadn't bought my airbrush at the time) The lines are done with an inkless pen.

Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 1993
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: 28" shield and Short Sword

Re: Leather Tips

Postby Old Horse » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:56 am

Excellent, thank you very much for sharing the tips.
"Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal.
These things are for lesser men.
Protect the weak against the evil strong.
And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil."

-The Iron Code of Druss.
Old Horse
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2004
Realm: Umbar
Unit: Black Corsairs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Two-handed sword, Single blue

Postby Derian » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:23 am

Awesome. Added to the tutorials sticky.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Sir_Mel » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:59 am

Good stuff man, thanks a bunch.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Davit » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 am

Wow, that looks amazing. Thanks for all the tips and really detailed explanations of this.

Now I do have a question, would you mind if I moved your thread to the armor section of our board, or are you set on keeping in in the arts and sciences section?
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Jcollins » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I dont have any issues at all.. I posted here as I thought this might have been more appropriate. I'm a fan of RTFM and using the search function :)
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Postby Dabbanoth » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:39 am

Moved and Stickied.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Sir_Mel » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:53 am

What kind of events are you considering attending? I'd love to sit down and talk about leatherworking stuff at some point. In the near future.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Jcollins » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:31 pm

Um..I'm in Iowa...I dont do alot of travelling but Im hoping that next year I'll be able to be more active in what events I attend.

feel free to hit me up on Instant Messenger or PM here or even Email and I'd be happy to help out if I can.
Squire Thorpe Nemoralis
Jcollins
Underling
Underling

Return to The Armory