How to make hosen out of suit pants!

Garb, Music, Historical Discussions

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How to make hosen out of suit pants!

Postby Antonis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:07 pm

Okay, I've made this tutorial because, well, we have bad garb. Hosen are perfectly accurate garb for almost the entire middle ages, whereas pants only work for a few of the later years, in France. Yes, I'm being eurocentric.

Anyways. These are probably the easiest way to get veteran level garb in like, an hour, with a 7$ pair of pants.

1. Find a pair of suit pants that are definitely wool. They are typically 5-7$ at salvation army, good will etc. You'll want them as long as possible.

2. Cut off all the mundane pockets and zippers.

3. Separate the two legs at the seam.

4. Split the inside seam.

5. Pattern the flat wool you now have. I use this: http://historiclife.com/Essays/howto_hose.html

6. Cut it out. Sew. I like to hem the tops before I sew the sides. Makes it a touch easier.

On holding them up. I like to have a tablet woven belt that I tie them to. I even put eyelets in. A more period method would have been to sew a strip of cloth on the end. But the bobbin ran out, and I'm lazy.

One more thing I changed. These don't have feet the way I made them. I've seen evidence to support it, so I didn't put them in. Most folks do.

Okay, I guess images are disabled or not working. This threads also on the dag nats if you want pictures.
Antonis
Recruit
Recruit

Re: How to make hosen out of suit pants!

Postby Caleidah » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Edit all of the width and height information out of your image links so that they will actually show up.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby No'Vak » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:42 pm

Antonis wrote:Okay, I've made this tutorial because, well, we have bad garb. Hosen are perfectly accurate garb for almost the entire middle ages, whereas pants only work for a few of the later years, in France. Yes, I'm being eurocentric.

Anyways. These are probably the easiest way to get veteran level garb in like, an hour, with a 7$ pair of pants.

1. Find a pair of suit pants that are definitely wool. They are typically 5-7$ at salvation army, good will etc. You'll want them as long as possible.

2. Cut off all the mundane pockets and zippers.

3. Separate the two legs at the seam.

4. Split the inside seam.

[img]width=600%20height=800]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/thedosius/Hosen%20Tutorial/HosenTutorial012.jpg[/img]

5. Pattern the flat wool you now have. I use this: http://historiclife.com/Essays/howto_hose.html

6. Cut it out. Sew. I like to hem the tops before I sew the sides. Makes it a touch easier.

[img]width=600%20height=800]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i144/thedosius/Hosen%20Tutorial/HosenTutorial017.jpg[/img]

On holding them up. I like to have a tablet woven belt that I tie them to. I even put eyelets in. A more period method would have been to sew a strip of cloth on the end. But the bobbin ran out, and I'm lazy.

One more thing I changed. These don't have feet the way I made them. I've seen evidence to support it, so I didn't put them in. Most folks do.

Okay, I guess images are disabled or not working. This threads also on the dag nats if you want pictures.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Antonis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Thanks for that.
Antonis
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Orazio Valori » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:03 pm

They look like mid-14th c. chausses. You should point them to a pair of braies. Much more comfy than a belt. :)
Orazio Valori
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Oisin » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Different words for the same thing. Hosen = the English word, chausses = the French words. They could be pointed to either a belt or directly to your braes.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Orazio Valori » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:30 am

I was sort of thinking more along the lines of the unjoined vs. joined, in terms of time period. Like they sell here:

http://historicenterprises.biz/chausses ... ath=99_117
http://historicenterprises.biz/hose-spl ... ath=99_117
http://historicenterprises.biz/hose-15t ... ath=99_117

Gwen has always made mention of them being pointed either to the braies, pourpoint, or doublet.
Orazio Valori
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Oisin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 am

Oh, well, I think that's just the terminology HE uses, which are right, but nonspecific. Hosen was also the word used to describe unjoined leggings (which you know as chausses) prior to the Norman usurpation, for instance.

And, really, they could be pointed to whatever the wearer finds most comfortable. Some braes were held up with a belt instead of a drawstring.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Orazio Valori » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:37 am

Yeah, I've seen a few people on the Armour Archive's research section say that chausses/hosen is a common terminology issue. I tend to think of one thing or another when I see the words; I imagine a lot of people say it that way for the same reason.
Orazio Valori
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Oisin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 am

Probably true. They're the same thing, though, in either language, or probably several others. I assume they might have different names in Danish, German, Italian, or others, but it's just the names.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Return to Medieval Arts, Sciences, and Garb