Bard's Guild

Forum for the discussions for the creation of guilds.

Moderator: Ora

Bard's Guild

Postby Azgarehta » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm looking into forming a "Bard's Guild" to promote the arts of Singing, Playing Instruments, Acting, Comedy, Storytelling and the related activities. The Guild would be a loose organization of the artists, and be responsible for entertainment during feasts, recording the stories of battles, keeping the Heraldry of Knights, and honoring the various anniversaries and events of Belegarth, its realms, and its inhabitants.

The guild will promote role playing and the furthering of non-combat social activities, but WILL NOT take away from the combat and physical aspects of the sport. The Guild will be an option, not a requirement, and stories, songs and activities will seek to enhance social gatherings, but not force them upon those that wish not to partake. We will not write a song about you or tell a story of your battles or history without your permission.

I wish not to form a subset and a rift in Belegarth where there are 'stick jocks' and 'roleplayers', but to enhance both parties through entertainment and the arts.

The Guild will be organized as follows:

Any realm may have a Bard in their midst. These Bards take on the responsibility of cataloging the major events of their realm. They may then make these events into stories, songs, plays or the like, to be performed at major events. Participation by the Belegrim population as a whole is completely optional, however, we will seek to tell the great stories from among our people.

At a national level, Volunteers will be needed to organize events and get the word to the Belegrim of the events, as well as gather the stories from among them and collaborate on the arts, to make beauty. The guild will seek to promote the other arts and sciences (garb making, armor smithing, weapon smithing) and keep record of the major events within those arts.

Comments, Suggestions, and Assistance is welcome.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Re: Bard's Guild

Postby Saxon » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:17 am

This would obviously have a place in Belegarth, however I can't tell if the Guild Program is even still functioning. Anyone with a definite answer able to chime in?

If it is, I would probably be interested in this one. Roleplaying isn't high on my list, but I do enjoy playing the musica.
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Postby Tails » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:51 am

I know the bardic games seem to be making a come back, you might wanna ask people who participate in that.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Mekoot Gorlock » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:08 am

The guilds are as active as you make them. This organization is run from the bottom up and no one at the top can tell you that your group doesn't exist if you make it.
Mekoot Gorlock,
Horde

Kyrian wrote:Thanks to the rain gods (that includes you, Gorlock)
Mekoot Gorlock
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 12 Mar 2003
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Blood Vally Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever kills the other person

Postby Nox » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I very much like this idea, being a bard (however shy) myself.
Nox Vera, Valkyrie
Nox
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Apr 2008

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm wondering how many musicians and authors we have among us that would be willing to take on projects such as cataloging people's backstories of their characters into writing and song as well as their adventures and things.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Nox » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Shouldn't be too difficult. A lot of people do that kind of writing, and a friend from my shire has written several songs of our members and battles in general.
Nox Vera, Valkyrie
Nox
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Apr 2008

Postby Lloyd Mann » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:36 pm

I've been hoping for something like to this come up. Organizing musicians, artists poets and stuff is at this level will be tough.
Lloyd Mann
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 7-2007
Realm: Khador
Unit: Jesters Court
Favorite Fighting Styles: Buffoonery and Board, Archery

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:18 am

Azgarehta wrote:I'm wondering how many musicians and authors we have among us that would be willing to take on projects such as cataloging people's backstories of their characters into writing and song as well as their adventures and things.

This is the kind of thing that's easy to say that you'll do on the boards, but people rarely actually put the time in. When the other foot drops and your at an event where you'd have the most people to talk to, most people will opt to have fun 99/100.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:26 am

The more I talk to people and hear from them about what they do at events, it becomes more apparent to me that this would be better served as an underground movement. If I just start writing songs and singing them around campfires and at feasts, then over time, others will take notice and improve the arts in their respective realms.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Saxon » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:28 am

I'm not really sure what classifying it as "underground" would mean in comparison to the rest of our sport, but I don't think its necessary. I think as a guild it would be a good idea to have ranks like the other guilds purely based on time committed and benchmarks in terms of different types of performances, making instruments, writing songs, etc. Do not try to mandate songs about specific topics or that members need to stick to one branch of music performance art. I'll type up a list of sorts as en example in a bit. I don't think it would be too hard to facilitate and keep track of.
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, * - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
Saxon
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 May 2004
Realm: Whatever Portland is called this year
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board or beer and drum.

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:32 am

We either have to keep all the performance arts together, or seperate them out according to music, drama, and the like.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby semtater » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:46 am

You could do all that within in the guild. Have one guild. And, when you find the need, add separate branches, i.e. music, art, storytelling, etc. And it could all be inside the bard's guild. Or would it become too much? Alternate suggestions are open for discussion.
Our Holy Master will lead us onward! I fight my hardest with my sickle in hand.
Lupin wrote:FB was right.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Jan 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sickle and Sword!

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:56 am

What I'd like to see is entertainment. Usually there's one big feast at most of the 4 day events. To have some singing, dancing, or a play would really enhance how awesome that feast is, in addition to the wonderful food that is cooked. Now, if that is some version of entertainment from each part of the guild per event, or different guilds at different events that is up to the groups themselves.

There is also things the guild can do to liven up individual camps with song, dance, and entertainment. Last year at Rag, I hear Black Company had a bagpiper, which was pretty epic, so mixing things like that into units, having drums for marching, songs of battle, storytelling and things helps enhance the culture that we share as Belegrim.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Renna » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:10 am

i would be interested in doing this kind of thing eventually (when I feel more settled into Belegarth culture, like maybe next year).. i like performing & writing music, but i really hate writing lyrics so i dunno if i'd make a great bard, but I'll keep my eye on this guild anyway.
{ you're not a hero ~ unless you die ~ suspicious of the wounded ones }
Renna
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jun 2009
Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Archery

Postby Azgarehta » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:14 pm

I think that you're precisely what this guild is looking for. To pool our talents, training, and resources together to help enrich the culture we have and give entertainment that benefits all of us.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:35 pm

I fully support this movement. I also could use more things to write about. If struck by a muse, I'll write. If asked to write a specific thing, I'll write a specific thing. I like it when there is more to do at events than to watch people drink and watch the fire.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby semtater » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:27 am

I am in support of this too. I can document, keep organized, and I love storytelling. But I'm bad with music. So I won't be any help there. Storytelling FTW!
Our Holy Master will lead us onward! I fight my hardest with my sickle in hand.
Lupin wrote:FB was right.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Jan 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sickle and Sword!

Postby Vrohi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 pm

Next to the Cook's Guild this is about the best idea fora guild I have ever seen! Bel events could use a hell of a lot more music and entertainment if you ask me. It really seems to be the one thing thats missing. I would love to be walking around listening to some bard play songs about the feats of knights and units and that sort of thing. Especially since its about real people. This whole idea could really inspire young fighters to get better. Not that we aren't already thoroughly motivated =P
"For the Honour of the Realm."
"Honor, Valor, Brotherhood"
Vrohi
Underling
Underling

Realm: No Affiliation
Favorite Fighting Styles: Javellin, Sword and Board.

Postby Gámhain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:59 am

Azgarehta wrote:I'm wondering how many musicians and authors we have among us that would be willing to take on projects such as cataloging people's backstories of their characters into writing and song as well as their adventures and things.

I'm relatively new to Belegarth, but I've been in Dagorhir for about a year now, and I am HUGE into the characterization aspect of the games. The Dagorhir unit that I started here in the Adirondacks has fairly strict requirements for characterization, back story, etc, and our unit in itself has a rich history and its own nobility and allies/enemies. My cousin Kalis (in-character cousin) and I have been working on entire family trees, coats of arms, historical scrolls and tomes that catalogue our members' histories, lineage and expoits. We have even gone so far as to work on hand-crafting the "Treasures of the Tuatha" (our "family" are the last surviving Tuatha de Danaan) for the four highest-ranking members of our family, as well as symbols of rank and station for both Royal Family and Unit Members alike.

Basically what I'm saying, is I love stuff like this, and I would love to help you organize the Bard's Guild, write the epic tales of peoples' heroic deeds, encourage characterization and roleplaying, and anything else that I can help with.

How much of the structure and history/backstory of the guild have you worked out yet? Is there a heirarchy (Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, Master, Grandmaster, etc.)? Are there specific initiation and promotion ceremonies or rituals (ALWAYS fun)?

Oh, man this seems like fun. Sorry if my post seems a little verbose, but when I get interested in something, I usually go all out.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Gámhain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:06 am

Oh as for my Bardic "qualifications":

I play guitar, recorder, Irish tin-flute, bodhran (gaelic drum), and I sing Irish folk music.
I do poetic, fiction and scholastic writing (bachelor's in English)
I do video-production (bachelor's in Film) - this could be likened to a mystic scribe, I suppose.
I do lots of visual arts.
I also fancy myself something of a theology scholar, which -I suppose- considering the mythological/fantasy aspect of Belegarth, would fit well.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I haven't set down any structures, but I figured I'd gauge interest to see what kind of artists we had and if they'd be into organizing. Far as I know, there's a Bardic at many of the larger events, and the Bardic Guild would help assist and organize these events, and recognize particularly skilled artists in their field.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Gámhain » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:37 pm

I did something similar to this in Dagorhir, though it wasn't as activity-oriented as your idea is. Mine was more of a pan-realm unit of minstrels and artists. Here's the link to the website, maybe it will give you a few ideas: http://www.orderofcacophony.webs.com
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Gámhain » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Just checking to see if there is any new info on the Bard's Guild? If you want any help in setting this up, just let me know. I will be glad to assist.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Azgarehta » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 am

Its pretty much whatever. I just thought it would be a nice thing to organize and enhance the night life, but I'm not really into running something like this. If someone wants to pick up the ball and do something with it, be my guest.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Gámhain » Tue May 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Azgarehta, are you going to be at Yestare this weekend? If so, maybe we could talk further about getting a guild going. Or at least jam and have a beer.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Azgarehta » Wed May 12, 2010 9:22 am

I don't even know where Yestere is, and I'm all tuckered out from Gates of Summer. I am going to Rag though, so if you're up for the loooooong drive, I'll find you and we'll have a chat.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Gámhain » Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am

Azgarehta wrote:I don't even know where Yestere is, and I'm all tuckered out from Gates of Summer. I am going to Rag though, so if you're up for the loooooong drive, I'll find you and we'll have a chat.

I am very much hoping to make it to Ragnarok this year, if only for a few days. I need to get in touch with one of the groups that are either passing through Utah on their way, or maybe hitch along with some of the guys from Colorado, but either way, I'm going to try and make it.

Anyway, if I do wind up going, I will find you and we can have a chat.
Brother of Clan Germania
Wandering Mintrel

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Nomad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:13 pm

I'd have to call this a great idea. We put on a circus show at winters knight a couple years ago and as far as I can tell every one had a blast. The only concern I can think of is an over emphasis on stories and music and a disregard for the other bardic arts. I'm a performer in the Flying Circus, a clown. I tumble, juggle, tell jokes and resort to general bafoonery even in the middle of fights. I would love to get involved with a bards guild but I have to insist it recognizes all the aspects of bards not just the musical ones
Performer of the Flying Circus
Prince of Cats
King of Fools
A question that sometimes drives me hazy. Am I or the others crazy? -Einstein
Nomad
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2007
Realm: Looking for one to fight in.
Unit: Flying Circus
Favorite Fighting Styles: You name it I like it!!!

Postby Caleidah » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:52 pm

As a Bard's guild, I can imagine that everything involved under the performing arts would be included, meaning everything from singing to performance arts.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Azgarehta » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 am

Oh yeah! I think I'd like to learn how to juggle and do bafoonery.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Postby Froste » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:04 am

Love the idea!

I am a magician (close up) and a musician (bass, drum).
Froste, Warhost of Mardur
Western Uruk-Hai
Asna ekt betak Uraka!

Expert Foamsmith
Noob Leathercrafter
Proud Holder of One Headbanger Point
Froste
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 15 Apr 2005
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery, Red

Postby Caleidah » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:16 pm

I'm a skilled liar (story teller) and have an obnoxiously loud voice when I strive to use it. Worst comes to worst, I'll be a pitch man.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Nomad » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Oh yeah! I think I'd like to learn how to juggle and do bafoonery.
its easy when you drop one of them just pretend you did it on purpose.
Performer of the Flying Circus
Prince of Cats
King of Fools
A question that sometimes drives me hazy. Am I or the others crazy? -Einstein
Nomad
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2007
Realm: Looking for one to fight in.
Unit: Flying Circus
Favorite Fighting Styles: You name it I like it!!!

Return to Guild Program