Total votes : 57

Swearing Poll

Postby Ohtar i' Astald » Wed May 07, 2003 10:55 pm

Here's the freakin poll.
Ohtar i' Astald
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Poeir » Wed May 07, 2003 11:09 pm

I find it funny that you said "freakin'" in the text of your post.
Fighting since September 30, 2001
I'm not not a member of the SDC...
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Tor » Wed May 07, 2003 11:13 pm

You freakin' bunch of freaks! Why don't you freakin' play "Hide and go Freak Yourself"?
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Rae » Wed May 07, 2003 11:22 pm

Heck, I wouldn't mind if swears were completley bleeped out. To quote far to many people who are annoyed with my casual college tongue: A base and simple mind must resort to vulgar means.

As such, if you can't get your point across with swearing, I think you need to think about your point a little more. Swearing is the verbal equivalent to trying to throw a punch to had flare, and those who throw the first punch are the ones to admit their logic has failed.

One the converse, a word is only a word, right? Society as made fairly arbitrary words taboo. On the same note, the use of swearing nowadays has pretty well lost its original umph. Nothing is more hilarious than to listen to a bunch of rebellious junior high kids throwing "the F word" around nearly as frequently as "the."

Still, there should be no need to swear. I trust (and here is my truest flaw, a faith in humaity) that we are all intellegent enough and equipped with a decent vocabulary and reference.com so that we don't need to swear in order to communicate ideas. After all, this is a message board, right? A means to exchange and communicate ideas? By allowing swearing, it only lowers the standard of communication on the board and makes the our game in general seem all the more base and lowly.

-Rae
Rae
Underling
Underling

Postby Poeir » Wed May 07, 2003 11:27 pm

Shh! Rae! My whole arguing strategy is based around waiting for my opponent to start shouting and cussing. ;)
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Owen » Wed May 07, 2003 11:31 pm

Thou shalt not post flames, excessive profanities, or anything illegal.
You might have thought me vain, however that is not the truth, no my friend, I see myself as more or less your equal, well from the waste up at any rate, but I am just going on what your girlfriend told me so...
Owen
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 23 Jul 1984
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Order of Tauren
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Poeir » Wed May 07, 2003 11:50 pm

Nothing wrong with some kinds of flame. I know that's not what you meant.

This is funny like not letting the Cat in the Hat do the cleaning up.
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Thu May 08, 2003 12:23 am

Rae wrote:A base and simple mind must resort to vulgar means.

Starting your argument off with a bromide is a much more vile attack on the intelligence of the reader than the foulest of profanities.

Rae wrote:As such, if you can't get your point across with (sic) swearing, I think you need to think about your point a little more. Swearing is the verbal equivalent to trying to throw a punch to had flare (sic), and those who throw the first punch are the ones to admit their logic has failed.

Who are you to judge that all points can be made without swearing? What if swearing is **** material to the argument? What if swearing is absolutely **** necessary to the color of the argument?

And how the **** does swearing have anything to do with logic in this context?

Rae wrote:One the converse, a word is only a word, right? Society as made fairly arbitrary words taboo. On the same note, the use of swearing nowadays has pretty well lost its original umph.

So I guess it stands to reason that if "a word is only a word" and and swearing has **** lost its "umph", then I guess it shouldn't be a threat to you and there really isn't any reason to stifle it?

Rae wrote:Still, there should be no need to swear. I trust (and here is my truest flaw, a faith in humaity) (sic) that we are all intellegent (sic) enough and equipped with a decent vocabulary and reference.com so that we don't need to swear in order to communicate ideas.

You've completely **** missed the * point.

Censorship throttles the free communication of ideas. We don't NEED to swear to communicate, but we need the freedom to express our ideas how we see fit. I don't need someone sitting on my shoulder telling me how I should make my argument, or telling me when and how I can express myself.

Rae wrote:After all, this is a message board, right? A means to exchange and communicate ideas? By allowing swearing, it only lowers the standard of communication on the board and makes the our game in general seem all the more base and lowly.

To protect the free exchange of ideas on this message bord we must carefully select the limits we place on expression. We must encourage free expression ere this message board become prosaic and **** irrelevant.
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Keyboard cowboy.

Postby Owen » Thu May 08, 2003 1:44 am

Jothardin while your point is well made, and I know you did it to make the point, it coudl also fall under excessive profanities. Please try and curb this, as far as the rules for the board go right now moderation is what is called for. This board is a PG rated place.
You might have thought me vain, however that is not the truth, no my friend, I see myself as more or less your equal, well from the waste up at any rate, but I am just going on what your girlfriend told me so...
Owen
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 23 Jul 1984
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Order of Tauren

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Thu May 08, 2003 1:00 pm

Owen wrote:Jothardin while your point is well made, and I know you did it to make the point, it coudl also fall under excessive profanities. Please try and curb this, as far as the rules for the board go right now moderation is what is called for. This board is a PG rated place.

If this board was a PG rated place, then the word "****" wouldn't be allowed here.

Furthermore, if my point was "well made" then my use of the word "****" was not excessive.

I'll use the word "****" when and where I see fit.
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby Jikanta » Thu May 08, 2003 9:23 pm

I voted for ****.
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Poeir » Thu May 08, 2003 9:32 pm

I was bored, so I counted. 12 times so far.

Finals are over, so I have even more time now.
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Andrek » Fri May 09, 2003 12:51 am

Owen I completely agree! I wish we could keep it at a PG level! The parents/friends I have shown this web board to are very upset that the language they have seen is on here. I do stongly believe that we should not come out with no swearing (most people I know wouldn't be able to talk if they couldn't), but the PG level is a really good place to leave it. I do have to say I would like to see all people "******" their cursing, but I know this won't happen. I will stand by the PG level thing.

Jothardin: It was an excessive amount! 6 times in one post is overkill, and then 3 more in the next just takes away from my desire to listen to any posts you may put up again.

Just my opinion, but it will NOT change.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby Poeir » Fri May 09, 2003 1:15 am

Too bad there's no way to apply filters on an individual basis. I'd filter the word "the."
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Salsa con Queso » Fri May 09, 2003 1:46 am

Well, Jothardin does have a point about censorship. Anyone here ever read Fareinhight 451? If not, go do so now. I don't swear, heck I can't even think swears. Sometimes I kinda wish I could. "Beyotch", "Dang" and "Anus" just can't cut it at times.

But seriously, aren't we all big boys (and girls)? Is there anything on these boards of feilds that we don't hear everywere else? Heck, we are actually pretty tame in comparison to some. I doubt that any of you can swear with the proficiency of a Puerto Rican (me excluded) :) Not to mention "hickspeak", as I like to call it. "So I got the F-in' tractor stuck in the F-in' south F-in' feild the other F-in' day right F-in' after I F-in' propped up my F-in' Camero on F-in' cinder Mother F-in' blocks." Kinda reminds me of teenyboppers using the word "like". But I digress.

I'm sure most of us here are mature enough to handle it (although I have been known to get quite irritated and confront the little kids who are still in the "I swear 'cus it makes me cool" phase). If you chose not to swear, then don't. If you chose to, then go ahead, preferably in moderation and preferably excluding comments about my momma.

Of course, If I think it gets out of hand, I'll say something to you. Thats why we have the "no excessive profanities" rule.

[edit: And Poier, you post too much. Go get a job or something. And cut your hair. And stop wearing all black. I want to see you in shirt and tie at our next practice.]
Salsa con Queso, the Mexi-Scot
Penderwydd of Brell
Speaker of the Truth
Harder 3 god of Wine and Thunder
House Krispy Kreme: Official Creme Filler
Salsa con Queso
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Ora » Fri May 09, 2003 7:36 am

Abuse of privilege. I've said it before and I'll say it again, just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean that you should do it. I'm all for letting people cuss it's when it becomes excessive that it becomes annoying.
J- maybe you should set up a forum like they have on the DA board where people can go in and cuss all they want... much like the General Mayhem area where you have to log in to get in there and read what's going on. With a BIG warning on a pop-up before you actually enter letting people know that the area is strictly for those who wish to excessively abuse their freedom of speech privileges.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Jikanta » Fri May 09, 2003 8:45 am

No, we're not gonna have a forum just for swearing.

:P
Jikanta

Postby Ora » Fri May 09, 2003 8:56 am

Dammit. There goes my chance to vent! :P

:D
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Poeir » Fri May 09, 2003 9:11 am

Salsa con Queso wrote:[edit: And Poier, you post too much. Go get a job or something. And cut your hair. And stop wearing all black. I want to see you in shirt and tie at our next practice.]

The last time I had my hair cut, the stylist got it completely wrong. So I don't do that any more. And also, it goes all crazy unless it's either really short or really long. You can still see vestiges of that with how looking at me dead-on my hair makes horn shapes.

Also, you didn't go to that LAN party, where I wore my all-white suit. So there. :P
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Andrek » Fri May 09, 2003 11:16 am

What is excesssive to one man is mild to another. I agree with Salsa... That was a great book. I would like to have a general populace friendly board where any parent (ie potential young fighter) can come and see what we are all about.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Salsa con Queso » Fri May 09, 2003 1:06 pm

Somethin I just thought of. I don't swear because of personal reasons, so there is no way I can expect you to be held to my standards. That's why I'm OK with it.
Penderwydd of Brell
Speaker of the Truth
Salsa con Queso
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Visgoth the Barbarian » Fri May 09, 2003 4:22 pm

cursing should be limeted to a certain amount outside of private forums.
~Vae Victus!~(suffering to the conquered)

"I think I felt a tremor of delight when she said these words, Let the flesh instruct the mind."- Louis, Interview With The Vampire
Visgoth the Barbarian
Underling
Underling

Postby Ohtar i' Astald » Fri May 09, 2003 5:00 pm

I voted for ****, if swearing is allowed then people won't do it as much. If it's banned, then people will find ways to get around whatever filter is put on it. I just choose not to myself.
Ohtar i' Astald
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Salsa con Queso » Fri May 09, 2003 5:27 pm

Garma, that seems a wee bit hypocritical. You say that cursing should be limited outside of private forums, and yet your sig uses both profanity and the "duce" smilie...and the sig is seen on ALL forums. You can't have it both ways, bud.
Penderwydd of Brell
Speaker of the Truth
Salsa con Queso
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Andrek » Fri May 16, 2003 2:35 am

I agree with you Salsa, with every post there is one more * put on the web... pigs, now we all need pigs.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Fri May 16, 2003 9:28 pm

Andrek, why did it take you a week to reply to that post?

Oh wait, I forgot what the whole point of this thread this was...

Why the **** did it take you a week to reply to that post?

Go ahead, say it out loud. Listen to how it rolls off the tongue...
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby Jikanta » Fri May 16, 2003 9:30 pm

He replied to get his post count up.
Jikanta

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Fri May 16, 2003 9:41 pm

I wanted it to come from him.

You know, like, from the heart, man.
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby Jikanta » Fri May 16, 2003 9:43 pm

I like your new avatar better than your last one. Not that I didn't like your last one... but I like this one better.
Jikanta

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Fri May 16, 2003 9:49 pm

Thanks.

And I'll be the first to admit that my last one was pretty creepy...
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby Poeir » Fri May 16, 2003 9:57 pm

Jothardin,

I think you're one of those people that will be hard-pressed to get a picture of yourself that is not creepy. Perhaps you should take a picture of a Jack-O-Lantern, and use that. ;)
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Jikanta » Fri May 16, 2003 10:00 pm

Or just superimpose a jackolantern onto his current avatar...
Jikanta

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Fri May 16, 2003 10:06 pm

Speaking of creepy, will you ask Milkman Dan to stop winking at me like that?
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby Poeir » Fri May 16, 2003 10:15 pm

Jikanta,

So, I was going to look for a picture of a Jack-O-Lantern, to see what that would look like, but then I figured, "Hey, Aragorn should do that." Heh heh, sharkphant.
Poeir
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Andrek » Fri May 16, 2003 10:29 pm

I reply to the ones that turn up in my email. I decided to look at the "swearing poll" again seeing how it was inactive for a while. I saw Salsa's post and wanted to comment. I am truly sorry if everyone thinks I am trying to boost numbers. I honestly have no life and find joy in my one line posts. I have said in other forums, I just like to laugh and it makes me when I post stupid things from time to time. Especially after * being beat down by my entire realm to train for Yestare. If you truly think I am trying to boost numbers, so be it. I do have a few posts that I posted after someone last night that I put just to banter him. Like I said I have no life, and this is one of my only briggin outlets. Well thanks for listening to my ramble.
Sir Andrek-
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Forkbeard » Sat May 17, 2003 9:28 am

You **** know how I voted.
i only swear in these posts because you guys can't see my face and hear my tone of voice. Keep your **** hands off my freedom of expresion.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Gihren Zabi » Mon May 19, 2003 5:02 pm

who * cared if you swear **** sticks..just cussing for fun
Hail Zeon!!!!!

Gihren Zabi(ME)
Zechs Merquise
Garma Zabi
Anavel Gato
Ramba Ral
M'quve.
Gihren Zabi
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jothardin the Cruel » Mon May 19, 2003 5:35 pm

After reading that articulate post, I'm thinking about changing my vote.
Jothardin the Cruel
Scout
Scout

Postby bahamunt » Mon May 19, 2003 5:39 pm

**** **** **** **** it does anyone **** care CENSORSHIPS A *!!!!!! (guess how i voted?!?!)
bahamunt
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon May 19, 2003 9:54 pm

Boog boog.
You all frighten me to no end.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Necronos » Mon May 19, 2003 11:16 pm

I'm *.

What some people overlook when it comes to message boards is that they are more than a tool of communication, they are a tool of expression. Maybe I'm biased when I say this (I'm from Ireland BTW... we swear a lot!) but swearing is another form of expression, just like gesturing with your hands or using facial expressions. On a message board when all you can use is the words on the screen swearing quickly becomes the "path of least resistance"

That's my story, and I'm sticking with it!
Necronos
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2003
Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Enoch » Tue May 20, 2003 8:12 am

swearing or no swearing Necronos, I think it comes as no surpise that the majority of the people here are "*" I mean really, who's going to label themselves as "*"?
M.F. Enoch & Co.
Enoch
Brute
Brute

Return to Web Design