this geddon will be the best one i have run yet

Threads with info from past events

Moderators: telanar, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

this geddon will be the best one i have run yet

Postby bo1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:29 am

you have been warned i am trying to run the greatest event ever. i will stop at nothing to make sure every single person has the best experiance they have had at any event.

dont miss it, everyone will be treating the customers with the respect and kindness they all deserve.

i am thinking of feasts, brisket, injected, rubbed and slow cooked for 10 hours over an applewood smoke fire. i have the applewood already drying out in my dads shed. with some garlic mashed potatoes, veggie, garlic bread, root beer, and cheese with pies for desert. no not those pies pervert.

other feast will be the famous gyros for saturday. i tried to get away from this, but the thing is too dang popular. pasta salad, cookies and so on to go with it.

we will have battle gamne each day for 3 hours. i have some peolple who are designing the games as we speak.

kyrian, chicken and mellen will be doing one, myself and my squires will be doing one and the last will hopefully be Mhog and kayle.

also i will be doing unit battles one day for an extended period of time. each unit will provide a single herald. your team will get to continue to fight until one member gets out of line( loses temper or acts like an *), at that time your entire unit is done fighting unit battles, and must go sit on the sidelines. then the rest of the adults get to continue to have fun, until one unit is left or option b, 3 hours pass and we get tired, call a water break. any cheaters will be removed from the field for the remainder of the unit battles.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Re: this geddon will be the best one i have run yet

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:43 am

Bo, in regards to Galya's post on day trippers and people that can't be there that long, and your response on free loaders, I really feel wolfpack has the best system. Pay full price up front, check out at troll when you leave and receive a partial refund.

Also, I was talking to the usual crew this weekend, and (edit "they're") doing something new and different with weapons check. The front of weapons check will have "Wal-mart" style greeters, who will help coordinate that items are being correctly placed and so forth. They will also act as a buffer between people actually checking and people who have concerns and are dropping off gear. Obviously, these people will be very customer service oriented. I came up with the idea, naturally I volunteered to do it. I know someone else did too, but I can't remember who.
Last edited by Big King Jimmy on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby bo1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 am

great plan jimmy. i love it and will volunteer to be a greeter as well.

also we will have daily newby wrangler person. so when a newb is messing it all up on the field, we have someone for them to be sent to for the basics and quick 15 minute lessons on how to not get yelled at all day by "big bad mean heralds".

and yes jimmy the pay full and recieve rebate when you leave is a great system. i will ammend my post to reflect this superior method.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Jorel » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm

I was the other volunteer jimmy.
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Northlands
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Bevin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:Bo, in regards to Galya's post on day trippers and people that can't be there that long, and your response on free loaders, I really feel wolfpack has the best system. Pay full price up front, check out at troll when you leave and receive a partial refund.

We totally stole that from Mistie :) But it did work wonderfully, for the few people we had for Friday day trip.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Wolfpack of the High Plains
Unit: Kumpania del Ruv

Postby bo1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:01 pm

well then a big thanks goes to misti. thanks you misti.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Jarvis » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm

Big Jimmy wrote:They will also act as a buffer between people actually checking and people who have concerns and are dropping off gear. Obviously, these people will be very customer service oriented. I came up with the idea, naturally I volunteered to do it. I know someone else did too, but I can't remember who.

I believe Sorcia was interested in being a greeter, too.

Also Bo: I volunteer myself to help with greeting/testing weapons if you still need more people for that.
Jarvis
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 17 Oct 2006
Realm: King of Rhun

Postby Xavier » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:31 pm

Just wondering if there was a facebook event created for this? If not I can create one :). I just wanna add to the collective total that I'm attending and help promote it..looking forward to it!! :)
Xavier Of Thunder Guard
Member of The Northern Alliance
Guard of Clan Of The Hydra
Member of Dark Hydra
Tor wrote:Belegarth is a who gives a ****, because Shut Up.
Xavier
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2006
Realm: Thunder Guard
Unit: Clan Of The Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear
Bat And Board
Red

Postby Physic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:17 am

bo1 wrote:you have been warned i am trying to run the greatest event ever. i will stop at nothing to make sure every single person has the best experiance they have had at any event.

dont miss it, everyone will be treating the customers with the respect and kindness they all deserve.

I just want to say that I had no plans to attend Geddon until I read this part of your post. Not because I didn't want to but because I go to too many events as it is. I really liked the fact that you are striving to make the event as positive an experience as possible. Many people that run an event forget that this is the most important part of the job. I salute you Sir for remembering that this is why we play. To have fun, be kind and respectful to all.

I will do my best to attend and will try to get as many as I can to be there as well.
Uruk-Hai

"Without passion man is a mere latent force and possibility, like the flint which awaits the shock of the iron before it can give forth its spark."
Physic
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby BattleChrist » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

I'm looking forward to this geddon being the best geddon ever.
You gotta wonder what's up with that guy..... it's like god spilled a person.
BattleChrist
Thug
Thug

Realm: Ebonhold
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Getting lucky

Postby bo1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm

i did research to find marinades and rubs for brisket. it will be amazing. i do the taste test in a week.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Satanaka » Mon May 10, 2010 5:56 pm

$40 !?!
Really?

Did we go back to being a week long and free beer all the time?
Last edited by Satanaka on Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Derian » Mon May 10, 2010 6:00 pm

I think $40 is very reasonable (hell, only $30 if you prereg) for an event plus, if last year is any indication, two fantastic feasts.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Bevin » Mon May 10, 2010 7:32 pm

I noticed this when we were planning Spring Wars...
Belegarth seems to be trapped in this bubble mind set where food costs, site costs, just about everything costs, are rising, and they don't seem to realize that event costs can't stay the same as 5 years ago.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Derian » Mon May 10, 2010 8:03 pm

It seems to me that events are also better from a logistical perspective than five years ago. For example, food is often tastier, hotter, more abundant and faster than events past.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Galya » Mon May 10, 2010 8:11 pm

Satanaka wrote:$40 !?!?!?

Really?????

Did we go back to being a week long and free beer all the time???

Bo already posted his rationale for the higher Troll price. Read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34033
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Satanaka » Mon May 10, 2010 8:50 pm

I have noticed that over the last 5 years- the cost has gone up BUT in most events the food is worse than 10 years ago (not all events!).

Now for me- myself- I don't have much of an issue with $40- BUT there are many that do have an issue with it.

I also don't tend to believe the hype "...well- everyone else is doing it..." That is BS.

Not to long ago- some people wanted to use event money to pay for Alcohol for the event. Now- for the people that dont drink- that is wrong, for the people to young to drink- that is wrong. The fact that we- as an orginozation are supplying alcohol as well as turning a blind eye to under age drinking (against the law)- IS WRONG.

Then- I see * hats- wanting to buy insurance to cover their ass- when they are the people turning a blind eye to under age drinking as well as drugs at events- even supporting or partaking in illigal drugs....

Hmmmmmm..... So- now- the cost of events have climbed to almost double- yet- from my perspective- NOTHING has gotten better. Armmegeddon is NOT a week long event- yet you want to charge $40.

Some of YOU people have talked about how we have a surplus of money for Belegarth- yet you want to over charge for an event. Seems like attendance has dropped over the years and we have had less support. You think this is going to help?

It just smells a little fishy to me. Use some of the huge surplus money and stop over charging. I don't see how someone's pocket is NOT growing. I think that our goal should be to keep it as cheep as possible for the people. I also don't like people taking advantage of people that love this game and want to play.

Maybe we need a good old audit.

Bevin wrote:I noticed this when we were planning Spring Wars...
Belegarth seems to be trapped in this bubble mind set where food costs, site costs, just about everything costs, are rising, and they don't seem to realize that event costs can't stay the same as 5 years ago.
Last edited by Satanaka on Wed May 12, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Satanaka » Mon May 10, 2010 8:57 pm

uh- I thought the whole grand idea of Kegg world was that we got better price & better rates- so are you mistaken or is Kegg a liar?

So- in 5 years - you justify event prices going up 200%?

Bevin wrote:Belegarth seems to be trapped in this bubble mind set where food costs, site costs, just about everything costs, are rising, and they don't seem to realize that event costs can't stay the same as 5 years ago.
Last edited by Satanaka on Wed May 12, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Derian » Mon May 10, 2010 9:02 pm

Satanaka wrote:Then- I see * hats- wanting to buy insurance to cover their ass- when they are the people turning a blind eye to under age drinking as well as drugs at events- even supporting or partaking in illigal drugs....

Comments like this make it clear that you clearly have absolutely no grasp on the reality of the situation.

Satanaka wrote:Maybe we need a good old audit.

Please do. I say this with absolute, 100% sincerity. The War Council has the ability very easily remove officers who they feel are inadequate in any way. If this is the case, this should be dealt with.

The problem is, you, Satanaka, seem to be the only person who is vocal against the current corporate leadership. Trust me when I say that I care a thousand times more for Belegarth than I do for maintaining my or any of my co-director's positions on the BoD. If I or any of my co-directors are not doing their job to the satisfaction of the Belegarth populace, please do something about it. The bylaws were written to make this as easy as possible.

For reference, here's the applicable sections (as well as a link to the full bylaws):

Belegarth Bylaws wrote:7.1.2. Removal of Officers
7.1.2.1. If the War Council feels that a person is not doing the job according to the criteria set by the War
Council, said person might be removed from office by means of a Vote of No Confidence motioned and
seconded by members of the War Council.
7.1.2.2. The vote will carry by a simple majority of the WC quorum voting yes to the removal of the person.

Edit:

Satanaka wrote:I don't see how someone's pocket is NOT growing.

So you've thoroughly reviewed both the state of the treasury posts the treasurer makes each year as well as our public filings? Cause that's pretty cool. It's comforting to know that rando-guy-on-the-internet knows that people are funneling money into their pockets but the IRS isn't clever enough to catch it. Get real.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Tails » Mon May 10, 2010 11:41 pm

bo1 wrote:i am thinking of feasts, brisket, injected, rubbed and slow cooked for 10 hours over an applewood smoke fire. i have the applewood already drying out in my dads shed. with some garlic mashed potatoes, veggie, garlic bread, root beer, and cheese with pies for desert. no not those pies pervert.

Bo, you are the Viking chef god.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Bevin » Tue May 11, 2010 11:58 am

Satanaka wrote:uh- I thought the whole grand idea of Kegg world was that we got better price & better rates- so are you mistaken or is Kegg a liar?

So- in 5 years - you justify event prices going up 200%???????? What???

Bevin wrote:Belegarth seems to be trapped in this bubble mind set where food costs, site costs, just about everything costs, are rising, and they don't seem to realize that event costs can't stay the same as 5 years ago.

Now, I understand that attempting to actually have a logical argument with you on this is akin to banging my head against a brick wall in the hopes it would move, but WP actually had to sit down with our old numbers and make sure we wouldn't lose money on SW (as we have lost money in the past). Bo had to do the same thing for 'geddon. When you add food, pre-event costs (troll and weapons check items), and the cost of the site, and then divide by the amount of people you expect based on past numbers, then round to the nearest 5, you get the amount you can charge without (hopefully) losing money (which is exactly what we did for SW cost).

And giving the two choices as either I'm an idiot or Kegg's a liar is a logical fallacy. It's neither. Eventually, yes, I believe costs will be lower than at other sites....but right now the cost is either the same or higher than other sites, because Kegg has no magical money bubble where he can be nice and slash rates for us. He still needs to make the money to keep the site running/get it to the awesome state he has planned. We were quoted 3 possibilities from Kegg for SW, and we took the one closest to other site's costs. He is very flexible with Belegarth groups money-wise, and that's something we won't get other places.
Bevin
Bandit
Bandit

Postby bo1 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:48 pm

i was a bit angry and deleted my post. i should never post angry.

i serve at the request of WC, they may instruct me as they choose.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Titan G » Tue May 11, 2010 7:03 pm

i don't know if you've been to bo's feast but my first geddon was last year and the man **** put out a spread that made me, as a hefty gentleman, dance with joy. if nothing else, being a foody and having known several poeple who work with food on a regular basis, the quality of boys feast is enough for a rate increase due to the nature of BETTER quality ingridients and more time served on producing the feast. also i was never a forest glen fan boy like some, having only been there for a couple of sppring wars when i first began fighting and a summer war last year but a comparison of the two parks puts in restrospect the quality of keg land vs the quality of suckass glen. if nothing else i dont have to drive to a frikkin shower.

that being said, im **** pysched about geddon this year as bo has shown himself to be a comsumate chef and event cordinator in the past, satanaka, i've met you man and ain't got no beef but stop being an interwebz tool.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Peregrine » Wed May 12, 2010 9:11 am

two nights for one person with a tent, at that koa I camp at with the cheapest option without electric hook up cost $59.00 that is with out food. I think some people need a reality check.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby bo1 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:16 pm

that is a wonderful reality check, thank you for that.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Brooder » Wed May 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Only 30.00 for another whistle-breaking good time? What a bargain! I just gladly pre-reg'd. Can't wait.
Brooder
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drinking cans of PBR.

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 4:07 pm

"]Satanaka siad: "Then- I see * hats- wanting to buy insurance to cover their ass- when they are the people turning a blind eye to under age drinking as well as drugs at events- even supporting or partaking in illigal drugs..."

Derian said: "Comments like this make it clear that you clearly have absolutely no grasp on the reality of the situation."

WHAT? Derian- your either blind or stupid NOT to know this happens and event coordinators know it is going on. When the running rule is "don't let me catch you doing _____". Is this a strong stance to stopping the illegal activities????
NOW I will admit that I may be a little harsh in my words- i don't mean to sound rough- heck- we have plenty of people here that are much rougher BUT I dare say you'd call THEM on it.

Derian- do you know how many people over the years have went to the hospital for drinking to much- that were under age? How many were sick that did not go to the hospital? do you know how many times the police SHOULD have been involved- BUT- were kept out of it? Are we going to continue to do these things untill someone actually dies? is that what it will take to wake some people up?

Derian said: "The problem is, you, Satanaka, seem to be the only person who is vocal against the ____________.

Actually Derian- to correct you or inform you- I am not against anyone- I don't currently know who the "leader" is- I know the actual leader. I also don't care. As far as being the only one vocal- thank you.
In reality- I know a % of the people that feel the same way. There are only a handful of people in our whole GAME that will voice their actual opinion or question anything or go against the current about all the "leadership" BS- they just want to play the GAME and have fun.

The 15% left- makes up: your people with agendas, actual good leaders, trolls, asskissers, plot spoilers, etc., etc., etc.

Yeah- Derian- was part of the small group that wrote the original Bylaws many years ago. I am old- but I still remember- BUT thanks.

As far as money- Derien- It's simple- "X" says we have all types of extra money in Belegarth account... "Y" says we have to double the price of the event to cover cost... "Z" says we have the best deal on the park- saving lots of money VS the amounts we have had to pay in the past.... NOW Derien- son- do the math- what does that say to you?
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Bevin Said: "Now, I understand that attempting to actually have a logical argument with you on this is akin to banging my head against a brick wall in the hopes it would move, but..."

I actually enjoy a good logical argument. I can't really say anything cute back- cause I don't actually remember who you are.

Bevin Said: "WP actually had to sit down with our old numbers and yadda. yadda, yadda..."

Yeah, yeah- I know that- worked just a few events in the past. BUT- here is what I do not understand- Arm is a NATIONAL EVENT- has the Belegarth account- which has $$$$ in it according to our leaders- why not use some of the money? Also- we are getting the best price from Kegg- per his own words- and I believe him- So- What has changed that the event fees jump??? $40!?!?! don't you think this is going to decrease the numbers? Why would we not want to make this event- as open to as many people as we can to encourage attendance. Our attendance has been so low for Arm for a number of years and we dropped it down from a week long event to a normal weekend event???

Bevin said: "And giving the two choices as either I'm an idiot or Kegg's a liar is a logical fallacy.

ok- I admit- that was a fallacy- BUT seems that fallacies work so well for so many people here... just thought i'd pitch it in there. Good catch! I take that one back. BUT- the $$$ still does not add up as well as it doesn't encourage better attendance. I also don't agree that Belegarth should be supplying Alcohal as well as turning a blind eye to illigal activities.

Bevin said:" ...but right now the cost is either the same or higher than other sites. He is very flexible with Belegarth groups money-wise, and that's something we won't get other place.

That is odd- I spoke with Kegg just last Octoberfest- JUST about $$$ and he spoke that he makes sure we have the best prices- MUCH cheaper than any other park we could get. I tend to believe him- since I have known about this venture for over 10 years. I don't think he would lie or jack the price up. SO_ if this park IS the cheapest and best price- then we are saving money- making more funds ready for other areas.

So- in short- if Kegg is lying and he is NOT the best price- then we use another park. Still- What justifies $40 where events have been as low as $15 or $20??? I don't see the numbers- UNLESS- it is some Free Booze type of BS. I don't agree with this. Also- I'd rather pay $20 and to hell with a feast- most all the people want to fight.

Also- Bevin- I hope YOU are not taking this discussion personal. For me- it is a conversation in which I am looking for information and talking about an issue/ thought/ etc.

Thanks
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Galya said: Bo already posted his rationale for the higher Troll price. Read this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=34033[/quote]

Hmmmmm..... I know I am old and such BUT $6,500 / 275 DOES NOT equall $40 (think it is $23.64) So- I think we take out the $500 to encourage the use of alcohol. (maybe saving the people that are under age from drinking as well as the chance of someone getting alcohol poison or sick or what ever else may happen)

So- $ 6,000 / 275 = $21.82 I'd say round to $25 (or maybe $30 in the worse case) and all should be well with the world- the price is not to high as well as we still have whatever kick * feast... I think this would make SO many people happy as well as make it even better to encourage people to attend Armageddon.

Why does that not work?

Bo said: "...with that the geddon budget. i plan for 275 people. 25 more than we got last year, just to be safe.
event site cost. 3000$ fixed no matter how many come.
feasts, fri and sat feasts. total 10$ per person. 4 for fri and 6 for sat. we ham it up for sat feast.
troll. 225, covers paper, event tokens, pass labels, failed labels, markers and such. the 225 number is to make the math easy, but usually around 200
sin night, 500. this year i am thinking about doing slave auctions/ gladiator pits. would be a fun evening. first tha ladies do the work for the beads, then use them to buy slaves.

so totaled up that leaves us with 6500 dolars. i like to figure a slush/ unexpected changes in there of 1000. so 7500 / 275= drum roll please. 27.27, so lets set the price at 40$, and prereg at 30$. yes the preregers get a deal, but really it gets us the money early so why not? and the price goes down throughout the event. so people coming after feast friday, only pay 20$
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Derian » Wed May 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Satanaka wrote:WHAT? Derian- your either blind or stupid NOT to know this happens and event coordinators know it is going on. When the running rule is "don't let me catch you doing _____". Is this a strong stance to stopping the illegal activities????
NOW I will admit that I may be a little harsh in my words- i don't mean to sound rough- heck- we have plenty of people here that are much rougher BUT I dare say you'd call THEM on it.

First off, the primary motivator for insurance isn't to guard against things like this. Hell, I don't know that it even would.

Regardless, do you feel that whoever is currently on the BoD needs to be personally liable for everything that happens at an event that calls itself Belegarth? As it exists right now, everyone on the BoD is potentially liable for damages arising from any situation that might happen at a Belegarth event -- even if not a single one is present.

Satanaka wrote:Derian- do you know how many people over the years have went to the hospital for drinking to much- that were under age? How many were sick that did not go to the hospital? do you know how many times the police SHOULD have been involved- BUT- were kept out of it? Are we going to continue to do these things untill someone actually dies? is that what it will take to wake some people up?

I'm sure I don't know the exact number, but yes, I'm well aware this has happened in the past. You likely remember an infamous Oktoberfest that resulted in exactly this situation. I was there keeping watch on the individual before the call was made to take him to the hospital. I know it happens.

It isn't the job of the BoD to patrol at events for things like underage drinking or illegal drug use. That's the responsibility of the site and/or event coordinators through security. I certainly don't condone it, because you're right, this is something that shouldn't happen at events. However, pulling out the old straw man to say that because a small minority of people use illegal drugs and/or drink too much at events the BoD is corrupt and irresponsible or that the leadership doesn't deserve to be protected from legal liability is dumb.

Satanaka wrote:Actually Derian- to correct you or inform you- I am not against anyone- I don't currently know who the "leader" is- I know the actual leader. I also don't care. As far as being the only one vocal- thank you.
In reality- I know a % of the people that feel the same way. There are only a handful of people in our whole GAME that will voice their actual opinion or question anything or go against the current about all the "leadership" BS- they just want to play the GAME and have fun.

You're absolutely right. I'm certain that you're not the only one who feels this way, and that's why I extended the offer I did in my earlier post. If any segment of the group's leadership isn't performing in a satisfactory manner, that should be addressed. There is a process for it - a very easy way to actually make change happen - and writing rambling tirades in unrelated topics isn't part of it.

Satanaka wrote:Yeah- Derian- was part of the small group that wrote the original Bylaws many years ago. I am old- but I still remember- BUT thanks.

I know you were. You might recall that Nan Belegorn was voted to have voting rights when the Belegarth War Council was first established after the split, when everything was done on the old foamfighting.org boards because it was in the middle of winter and we couldn't wait until summer time to have the first Armageddon. I've been NB's rep since that time and participated in ratifying both the original BoW and bylaws.

Satanaka wrote:As far as money- Derien- It's simple- "X" says we have all types of extra money in Belegarth account... "Y" says we have to double the price of the event to cover cost... "Z" says we have the best deal on the park- saving lots of money VS the amounts we have had to pay in the past.... NOW Derien- son- do the math- what does that say to you?

Actually, it's not that simple. The Belegarth treasury exists for more reasons than to run Armageddon. If you read the post that Galya linked, you'll see where Bo justified his costs. Having extra money in the treasury does wonderful things for events.

Hell, I know you've run events in the past. Did you have a pool of money to run them from or did you have to pray for preregs and/or front the money out of pocket or wait to buy feast supplies until the day of because you needed the troll money to do so? Armageddon has been doing the later, and it makes things harder for everyone involved. Having a cushion of money from previous years allows for this to be avoided.

Also, if you had read the other posts in this thread, you would have seen that we're not getting a huge discount by holding Armageddon at SHP. Kegg is a businessman and deserves to be paid fairly for his tremendous investment. Belegarth pays a fair price and gets the added bonus of having a site that is about as perfect as we could ask for.

There are also other costs, both current and planned. Belegarth has to pay for the website, including domain name registration, which is a cost that cannot be avoided, and generally web hosting space, though I donate that currently. It would also be awesome for Belegarth to start advertising. Don't forget insurance (I know you're against it, you've made that abundantly clear, but that's something that needs to happen).

The point is that you're taking a very narrow view of what's going on and clearly have very different visions for the direction Belegarth should go. That's perfectly fine, and again - there's a solution for that. You've been on the WC and BoD, I know you know this, but it brings me back to my original point - I think your opinion is very much in the minority. I have people come up to me every single event and tell me that I'm doing an awesome job and I hear the same thing from everyone else on the BoD every time we meet.

All that said, I'm done trying to justify things to you. I don't know if it's that you don't take time to proofread or think through your posts or if it's that you literally don't give more than a cursory glance to other's posts, but it's a waste of time.

TL;DR: If you're unhappy, do something about it. The War Council has 100% oversight on everything the Board of Directors does.

Edit: You clearly missed this part of Bo's post:

Bo wrote:i like to figure a slush/ unexpected changes in there of 1000. so 7500 / 275= drum roll please. 27.27

It's not $6,500, it's $7,500.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Jarvis » Wed May 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Satanaka,

It already IS $30 if you pre-register. Also, if you read through the 'state of the treasury' thread that Bo posted, he adds in another $1000 "slush fund", which does not seem unreasonable. So you've really got $7500/275 == $27.27. $30 for pre-registration, which it is probably safe to assume that most attendees will opt for, is enough to cover expenses as well as generate a little revenue. And isn't that what most Belegarth event coordinators set for a goal?

Looks solid to me.

Edit: beaten by derian on the $7500 figure
Jarvis
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 17 Oct 2006
Realm: King of Rhun

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 5:48 pm

I was not counting the "slush" fund- due to numbers Bo posted were sorta fat to start (except the $3000) so- I figured he already inflated to make sure he covered.

even so $7,500 divided by 275 still equalls: $27 not $40.
Also- Derien- don't know if you voted in the last election- BUT going against a popularity contest is slim chances to work- you think the current political structure of our country is going to be impeached??? Why?? Most don't care.

Anyway- Derien- I do appreciate your last post- I got a few items out of it and learned a few things- BUT- I would ask if you see the logic in what I have stated about the cost??? As well as the issue about supporting illigal activity?

We all know it happens.

I just think that Armageddon has lost so much support- why? Heck- not the fighting- that is always awesome. Due to rag- well yeah- some. Also- in the summer where more people are gone. So- I just think that the cost should be the least we can make it. NOT raise the price every year.

As for Kegworld and the business man- I call BS- Kegg is a good man- I can NOT see him jacking the price up. He has said many times that he was doing the best for Belegarth. If and I restate IF he did jack the cost up- then we need to go somewhere else. Let the free market work for us.

BUT- after talking with him last Octoberfest- I just can't see him NOT giving Belegarth the best rates. He should be the cheapest park that we have ever used. He already has three Belegarth events dedicated to Kegworld.

Yeah- I know the cost- BUT Belegarth business is better than NO business.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Satanaka, I think you're missing something that Bo is trying to do specifically this year with the event being $40. It's sort of the reason it's $40 and I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

Right now, the Belegarth treasury doesn't have enough money in it to actually RUN a 'Geddon. Every year it either has something that doesn't get paid till the money starts to roll in OR it doesn't pay something (like Kegg) till after the event.

Bo's goal is that after this year, Belegarth will have enough money for 'Geddon to support itself up front every year from now on. That's a big reason for the $5 jump.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Satanaka wrote:I just think that Armageddon has lost so much support- why? Heck- not the fighting- that is always awesome. Due to rag- well yeah- some. Also- in the summer where more people are gone. So- I just think that the cost should be the least we can make it. NOT raise the price every year.

Geddon attendance has increased every year Bo has run it/supervised the running of it. It's also a much higher quality event than it was in the past. I have a better time at Armageddon at this point than I do at Oct'fest. The only event that I think beats it is Chaos Wars. And with Bo going to that this year, it'll only get better.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

OK- so what you are saying- is that the cost jump is NOT due to any cost- BUT to build the bank account of Belegarth?
So- our popular leaders- elected to office as well as War Council- voted to over charge the members- to make the Belegarth bank account larger?

Or- one person decided to do this? (but- no officer or War council rep is asking about it or stopping it?)

This is quiet confusing as well as it brings many more questions to light.

please explain.

edited due to being to vague: Bottom line: Who aurthorized to over charge the members to build the Belegarth Bank account (more that what they already are)??? Was this voted on by War Council?

Now- for any idiot that thinks anything I posted was an attack or slight on Bo- you are (imho) Stupid- and I will gladly tell you to your face the next time I see you. (just remind me that you were one of the idiots that thought I was attacking Bo) in my opinion- Bo has been a stand up guy to date.

- thank Jimmy for your post. I did not know that was the intent of the over charge.

Big Jimmy wrote:Satanaka, I think you're missing something that Bo is trying to do specifically this year with the event being $40. It's sort of the reason it's $40 and I didn't see anyone mention it yet.

Right now, the Belegarth treasury doesn't have enough money in it to actually RUN a 'Geddon. Every year it either has something that doesn't get paid till the money starts to roll in OR it doesn't pay something (like Kegg) till after the event.

Bo's goal is that after this year, Belegarth will have enough money for 'Geddon to support itself up front every year from now on. That's a big reason for the $5 jump.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby bo1 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:23 pm

there is so much here to talk about i am unsure where to start. i will start with a clean breathe, a little yoga and............ ah there now i am calm.

so yes, 40 is a lot, about 20 less than camping at a local competitor, but hey we strive for excellence right?

yes i am trying to build the treasury, i stated it to WC and now i am actually doing it. and for the record, to avoid muddying up the waters, the price goes down throughout the event. usually 5$ a day. also i am well within reasonable limits for those that prereg, so i guess i am encouraging prereg, also something i said i would do and am doing it. i post every year about where the treasury is, and how it grows and what the money is spent on.
it is important to note that the reasons for increasing the treasury size is to be able to fund geddon for a full year without needing any additional funds. i want to have 10,000.00 in the account, other realms have this much in the coffers, there is no reason the sport as a whole shouldn't have the same.

belegarth is supported by its members, its members send people to war council, Wc can tell me to do anything, and i will/have done it. I posted in WC forum and heard nothing back. actually not true, sorry, gayla had questions, i responded and that was the last i heard about it until you had questions. So if WC, essentially my supervisor, or the president( also my supervisor) had a problem i am sure they would have spoken/typed to me about it.

and your questions, well they are worded in a very accusatory manner, i would say it is an accident, but your pattern of behavior precedes you.
so feel free to level any accusation you wish, i will field any question you have.

and as for your worry about underagers, i can totally understand why they have your attention. we take steps at the event to keep people not 21 out of sin night, and not drinking at the event. last year i had to not give the prizes for sin night as the winners were not of age, i instead gave them to older members of our sport. while i can say that underage drinking does occur at events, i am willing to revisit the action plan with WC, and make revisions at their wishes.

i try to run the very best event i can, i work very hard at making geddon the signature event of the year. i stand by my record, as event coordinator and as treasurer.

your serve sir.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks Bo- that makes sense and I understand and support to a point.
I have a few issues:
1) I don't believe Belegarth should supply alcohol at an event (at no Belegarth event)
2) I think the "build the Belegarth Bank account" should have went to War Council- taken to the people and then get a vote.
3) Belegarth (any Belegarth event) should not allow underage drinking or drugs.

Bo- I appologize to you and/or anyone that interpreted that I was insulting, attacking or accusatory. I did not mean to sound that way. Yes- I know some of my post sound odd- I am working on that.
I do believe that you are trying to do the best- I have offered to help and work with you in any way to help you with the events in the past. If I did not respect you or think you were trying to do a good job- I sure would not volunteer to help.

I hope this helps Bo.

respectfully,
Allen

bo1 wrote:there is so much here to talk about i am unsure where to start. i will start with a clean breathe, a little yoga and............ ah there now i am calm.

so yes, 40 is a lot, about 20 less than camping at a local competitor, but hey we strive for excellence right?

yes i am trying to build the treasury, i stated it to WC and now i am actually doing it. and for the record, to avoid muddying up the waters, the price goes down throughout the event. usually 5$ a day. also i am well within reasonable limits for those that prereg, so i guess i am encouraging prereg, also something i said i would do and am doing it. i post every year about where the treasury is, and how it grows and what the money is spent on.
it is important to note that the reasons for increasing the treasury size is to be able to fund geddon for a full year without needing any additional funds. i want to have 10,000.00 in the account, other realms have this much in the coffers, there is no reason the sport as a whole shouldn't have the same.

belegarth is supported by its members, its members send people to war council, Wc can tell me to do anything, and i will/have done it. I posted in WC forum and heard nothing back. actually not true, sorry, gayla had questions, i responded and that was the last i heard about it until you had questions. So if WC, essentially my supervisor, or the president( also my supervisor) had a problem i am sure they would have spoken/typed to me about it.

and your questions, well they are worded in a very accusatory manner, i would say it is an accident, but your pattern of behavior precedes you.
so feel free to level any accusation you wish, i will field any question you have.

and as for your worry about underagers, i can totally understand why they have your attention. we take steps at the event to keep people not 21 out of sin night, and not drinking at the event. last year i had to not give the prizes for sin night as the winners were not of age, i instead gave them to older members of our sport. while i can say that underage drinking does occur at events, i am willing to revisit the action plan with WC, and make revisions at their wishes.

i try to run the very best event i can, i work very hard at making geddon the signature event of the year. i stand by my record, as event coordinator and as treasurer.

your serve sir.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 pm

oops.
Last edited by Big King Jimmy on Thu May 13, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Dunharrow
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Ralimar » Wed May 12, 2010 10:10 pm

SERIOUSLY. If the event is overpriced, don't go. Other like-minded people also will not go.

I feel that if Belegarth events want to be economically sound, we have a responsibility to be good consumers. In places like Illinois, where there are several events every year, events should have to compete for attendance. And reasonably, the turnout should speak louder than arguments on the internet.
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 10:12 pm

good point Ralimar.

Ralimar wrote:SERIOUSLY. If the event is overpriced, don't go. Other like-minded people also will not go.

I feel that if Belegarth events want to be economically sound, we have a responsibility to be good consumers. In places like Illinois, where there are several events every year, events should have to compete for attendance. And reasonably, the turnout should speak louder than arguments on the internet.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Spike » Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 pm

So this means you won't be going to Armageddon?
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Satanaka » Wed May 12, 2010 10:30 pm

ok- just got a better understanding of a few things that I seem to be saying that comes out wrong.

1st- I support Armageddon- wish we had 2,000 people attend and it was two weeks long.
2) I think that Belegarth should not supply the alcohol. I am NOT saying that we should ban all alcohol.
3) I think we should try to keep the price as low as possible for our members.
4) I think it is unfair to charge everyone to support othjer people vice. (explained: Why should people that do not drink or are to young to drink- have to pay for people that do drink?)

Maybe drop the entrance cost and then charge people to DRINK the outside supplyed alcohol?

I like that we check ID's and I even think the wrist band idea was good (although I dislike wearing one)

Does that make better sense?
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Jay HellHammer » Wed May 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Satanaka wrote:I like that we check ID's and I even think the wrist band idea was good (although I dislike wearing one)

Does that make better sense?

No because this is the most passive aggressive statement I have seen in awhile. You want to prevent something and then won't support a method to prevent it. Nice.

Anyhoo, So if the sport goes broke and can't run 'geddon in X years because we operate at break even or a loss what do we do then? What if something big and unforeseen happens where we need the extra cash. You need to set aside a little bit extra for the future. Do you contribute to a 401K an IRA, do you set aside a little bit every month in case the car or your house breaks. I am willing to bet not bc most Americans don't. The problem is Bele doesn't have a credit card as back up in case we run short. That money has to come from somewhere. We might as well have it set aside. Would having some money set aside be bad. No.

How will geddon be 2 weeks w/ 2K people. Better advertising, better feasts, better planning. Money to pay for it in advance. That's how. You don't think people running Pensik or Rag have a few grand set aside..
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Derian » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Protip: The SCA spends just shy of $200,000 a year on insurance.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Jorel » Thu May 13, 2010 2:21 am

I just want to call some bs on this being over priced. I have no real stable income at the moment and I'm still able to save 30 bucks from tax returns to prereg and another 40 or so for the event. I would gladly go to arm even if it cost 50, because its a well run event with great people, great fighting, and great food. This is one of my hobbies, if I have to pay a little bit more to help support the organization as a whole, it's for the better. Compared to other hobbies this ****'s cheap and I get so much more back for each dollar I pay because I know the people running it are just that dedicated to making sure this event stays awesome.
Last edited by Jorel on Thu May 13, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Northlands
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Sheild

Postby Jay HellHammer » Thu May 13, 2010 6:50 am

Satanaka wrote:
1) I don't believe Belegarth should supply alcohol at an event (at no Belegarth event)

OK to your point that you do not want to fund alcohol at an event. This is great and actually I have a brilliant idea. I don't eat red meat or pork, so I don't think Belegarth funds should go to feast. I don't eat the food but I pay full event price. I may not fight everyday, maybe only Friday and Saturday, so I don't think I should pay the full event fee. I may not wander far from Hellhammer camp so I'm only using Hellhammer camp and the fighting field, the bthrooms and certain paths, discount on entrance fee? I might go to town so hell, I won't even be at the event the whole time, so discount? So Satanaka, why don't YOU run troll and people will tell you what they are going to do, because we don't want to over charge, and you can come up with a system to ID them for the things they want to participate in then we will have a floating fee so noone is overcharged. Then everyone wins.

Oh and if it's not a big deal about the food, it's not really for me my views are personal, but we do have Jewish folks, muslims, hindi, vegetarians, and vegans are we discriminating against them and driving them away because most feasts really don't take this into consideration. Why should they pay full event price and why should funds go to a feast that doesn't consider them. They have been told sorry but make your own arrangements and it's understood they will. They have been told it's not our problem we cannot cater to a few when there are so many.

Point of clarification too, fancy feast was brought to you by Theros. Make sure he gets the credit he worked really hard on that. Thanks :)
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Unit: HellHammer

Postby bo1 » Thu May 13, 2010 7:30 am

apology accepted.

a few other points, COTH hosts virtue night at geddon. it is included in the sin nihgt budget. OF 2 knights i have been honored by, neither has ever had alcohol, not a drop to my knowledge. they are the ones that usually put this together.

BTW, i am going to repeat my self. this freaking geddon is going to be awesome. i am so * reved up it is stupid. i just might do everything twice just to prove how much i am willing to do to make this event rock socks. and that is in bold so you know it is for real.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Bodmin » Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 am

Satanaka I don't wanna hear about your observation and theories and ****, your just * lien and getting me *.
Bodmin
Berserker
Berserker

Unit: Hell Hammer

Postby Satanaka » Fri May 14, 2010 1:10 pm

oh my I would sure hate to see you *....
It's like a radio Bodmin- listen, sing along, wait for another sone or change the channel.
The fact that you actually attempted to READ anything and then take the time to actual POST- much like a few others- must prove that you have an opinion as well.

Are you not thankful to be in a country and forum where you can have such freedoms?

I'd be glad to help you with your "issue" when next we meet.

:devil:
Bodmin wrote:Satanaka I don't wanna hear about your observation and theories and ****, your just * lien and getting me *.
Last edited by Satanaka on Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Bodmin » Fri May 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Satanaka wrote:Are you not thankful to be in a country and forum where you can have such freedoms?

Just like the elements, water, fire, air, and dirt this freedom you speak of is just another miracle.

I'd be glad to help you with your "issue" when next we meet.

**** issue??? How do they function?
Bodmin
Berserker
Berserker

Unit: Hell Hammer

Next

Return to Past Armageddons