Finally banned!

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Finally banned!

Postby Acorn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:38 pm

i'm well aware of those and i have not ranted on or about anything until this point and after that one post shall not continue to do so. hence the whole "/rant done" business. this entire thread is * about the same old **** thing so don't act like I am causing an issue and single me out with a condescending "hon" and "REALLY" statement. prick.
Da'Nut,Catalyst: Tail of the Cataclusmos, Valkyries, Sus at BEST

Sare wrote:Acorn is the very template of awesome.
Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon Empire
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, Spear Frenzy

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:47 pm

EEEEEEWWW She **** TOLD you.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm

Thank you for acknowledging my metaphorical * and not actually paying attention to any part of my profile that points out that I'm a woman.

However I wasn't singling you out, just pointing out something that, apparently you already knew, but still felt like * about...again. But please, by all means, just continue to * at me. :)

And the 'hon' thing comes from living in the South. Its comparable to calling someone 'bud', 'friend', 'chief', 'hey you', etc. Get over it.

I got SOOO served FB! :D
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Kyrax » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:44 pm

Acorn wrote:As to the whole Dag(Coke) not advertising for Bel(Pepsi) thing: the reason that Bel "can't wrap their heads around "that"" is because Dag people like yourself come here and we think that you are all great and would love to have a discussion about similarities and differences and cross gaming and then it is weird when we can't do this on the Dag boards. Seems to me that it's hypocritical for Dag to pretend that Bel and Ampt and others doesn't exist and then come HERE and have the exact discussions that they don't allow on their own board. If Dag is for Dag only and you have that attitude, then why on earth are you on THIS board? (you meaning any dag guys with that attitude, not necessarily you BH).

Acorn - the critical piece you're missing is that the folks in Dag who have those attitudes don't come here and don't participate in any such discussion, and definitely don't cross-game. So you're preaching to the choir, as well as ranting at those who aren't behind those policies and attitudes.

I agree about the no stealing recruits - it's not only rude, it's counterproductive. And, there's a million more people out there who've never heard of any of these games. those are the people we should be trying to recruit.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Phrix » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:12 pm

just IMO here but no matter how you say it coke/pepsi are still a soda and bel/dag are both still sports that we pad sticks with foam and hit each other with,

... I don't frequent the dag boards at all because it just seems * head-ish to me to not allow disscussion of other games for cross gaming purposes. and knowing me I wouldn't be able to follow the rules.

I mean ive talked about just about every other foam fighting sport out there on this forum (mostly amt to tell the truth but wtver) if I hadn't I wouldnt even know they existed and not knowing they even existed would mean that im just missing out on that many more people to beat on whether it be by them coming to visit my sport or the other way around.

My point here I guess is its there loss and sadly ours to because you never know how many people actually have no idea at all.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Let me put it this way. You are WWII-era Poland: running around on horses waving your lil' swords around and getting drunk. We are WWII-era Germany: blitzkrieging thru your country with **** Panzer tanks.

Phrix
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Rath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Blackhawk wrote:Dag saw Bel as competition for members and adopted rules on their forums to keep people from bringing the drama there. Part of that philosophy was, why would we want to help the competition?

Down with the Enemies of the Party!

That's the got dang problem: OTHER DORKS WHO LIKE TO HIT EACH OTHER WITH FOAM-COVERED **** ARE NOT "THE COMPETITION". THEY'RE YOUR PROVEN, TESTED CONSTITUENCY WHO WOULD LOVE TO SHOW UP TO YOUR **** AND HAVE FUN.

Everyone else gets it. Why the hell don't you?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Alunsun » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Kyrax wrote:
I agree about the no stealing recruits - it's not only rude, it's counterproductive. And, there's a million more people out there who've never heard of any of these games. those are the people we should be trying to recruit.

If I may... what exactly is being produced here?

Regardless of your answer, whose product is it? Yours? Dag's? Bel's?

How can "poaching recruits lulz" be counterproductive to a sport in which the individual (not the organization) is what provides the results, especially in the case of cross- fighters?

As for your suggestion of recruiting new peeps, it sounds to me like pure gridlock mentality in which both sports are competing to acquire the most of a finite exhaustible resource (people) and not wanting to share them. That is, of course, the way I see it going if you use the "This is the only sport of it's kind" policy that Dag uses.

Also, there have been occasions in which Dag admins (Dominus) have logged on here to dispute what was being said about issues involving the organization. If they are going to follow a certain doctrine and deny the existence of other games, then why would they make an account and respond to what is being said in a non- existent sport's forum? So yes, they (people who are behind THOSE policies and attitudes...) DO come here, and they DO put in their two cents about issues involving other sports. Thus, they contradict themselves by acknowledging something that is illegal to acknowledge... again, IMO.

Also, what do you mean by "no STEALING recruits"? Aren't you a cross- fighter?
how much about a nike dunk ??every one know??
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Realm: Umbar
Unit: The Black Corsairs
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby Blackhawk » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:11 pm

OK who sees this as the AFC and NFC?
Super bowl anyone?

*ponders going to geddon*

I grow weary of this crap. i think It would be fun to do some fighting. CAUSE WE ARE ENEMIES!!!!

If you see me there please don't kill me!

But please don't hate the good people of Dag just because of the national board rules. Remember, 99.9999% of them and I suspect 99.9999% of you don't give a * about this. I know I don't hate you for creating the same game as us.

Go ahead and hate me though, I am used to it.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Making stick jocks look good since 1982
Vice President - Dagorhir Battle Game Association, Inc.
Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 1982
Realm: For Hire
Unit: Apollyons
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B

Postby Tor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:40 pm

*Do not post about non-Dagorhir organizations or non-Dagorhir events.

Romanempire.net (in some of your "Roman" people's sigs) mentions the SCA and Marklands, both non-Dagorhir organizations.

Police your ****.
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Derian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:50 pm

Snip snap.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby The Lost Celt » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

Phrix wrote:just IMO here but no matter how you say it coke/pepsi are still a soda and bel/dag are both still sports that we pad sticks with foam and hit each other with,

... I don't frequent the dag boards at all because it just seems * head-ish to me to not allow disscussion of other games for cross gaming purposes. and knowing me I wouldn't be able to follow the rules.

All you ever need to know about the Dag forums...

Dominus apparently **** rainbows, that is all.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby bangor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Blackhawk, since Bangor can't ever post on your boards again, Bangor has just three questions:

1. On a casual game day, what does Daghorhir have to offer me that Amtgard, Belegarth, and Darkon do not?

2. Why do all the sports use damned speedbats and ultralight shields? Bangor hates these.

3. If there is pertinent information that helps Daghorhir, should it not be discussed if the information comes from other game systems? Say, measuring crossbows by foot-pounds instead of just poundage (from Amtgard).
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:21 am

Wow, did I get a post deleted from this topic or did I just fail to post? Mods call me on this one via PM if you could, but I think I just saw two posts disappear, I consider that highly unlikely on these forums...

I promise I'll post something less vitriolic in the long run.... Public face of Dagorhir bugs me, FB already hit the points, we're crossgamers, the drama really remains with a select few at this point, which should hopefully retire sooner than later.

So to test my original theory, all you ever need to know about the forums, Dominus **** rainbows, that is all.
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Acorn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:27 am

IB- nowhere in my post do i imply you are guy and i don't give a **** that you're a girl. i did read you post. i feel like you singled me out as opposed to talking to wisp or any of the others whining and i find it insulting. i'm not * at you, just responding. "hon" may be equivalent to "bud" or "hey you" where you are from but it's not where i am from and especially not in front of a condescending post. if you have anymore animosity, please feel free to pm as opposed to wasting more thread space.

kyrax- mostly i was replying to BH and then got side tracked by finally making a comment about the bs i've heard for years. /sigh. hence my self-admission of a rant. all of the dag guys i have met are tight. which leads me to my next point:

BH- why do you say "go ahead and hate me? no one besides wisp has "hated on you" in this discussion.

oh, and the AFC and NFC seems like a better analogy then the coke/pepsi.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:25 am

Acorn, et al.

I would recommend travelling a bit more, or just lurking these threads for a couple more years. Ranting only tends to fuel the fire that the drama queens (from both games) thrive on. I just speak from my own experience.

And I don't think Dominus is the monster in the closet that some of you are making him out to be. I could be wrong.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am

The Lost Celt wrote:Dominus **** rainbows, that is all.

I want this T-shirt.

In hot pink.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:51 am

bangor wrote:Blackhawk, since Bangor can't ever post on your boards again, Bangor has just three questions:

1. On a casual game day, what does Daghorhir have to offer me that Amtgard, Belegarth, and Darkon do not?

Dagorhir offers you chapters all over the world, Darkon is local to Baltimore and DC only, forever.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Wanna Practice in Baltimore?
http://baltimoretuesdaynightfightnight.yuku.com
Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 1998
Realm: Ball So Hard University
Unit: The Nidstang

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:46 am

But has nothing more to offer than either Amt or Bel.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Gámhain » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:08 am

Acorn wrote:BH- why do you say "go ahead and hate me? no one besides wisp has "hated on you" in this discussion.

Everyone hates Black Hawk. He thrives on it.

Hell, I hang out with BH at every Dag event I go to, and I still hate him. Foul, whiskey-fueled, hell-spawned abomination that he is.

And seriously, BH, LEARN THE REST OF THE SONG!!!

"Oh as I come home on Monday night.... wait. Where'd my whiskey go? Oh, well. As I come home on Monday night..."

/sigh.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Acorn » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 am

lol. sweet lyrics. grammy worthy.

Acorn
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:39 am

Nope.

Thrush
berserk
"It's my will, my will is stronger than the other people I play against. I'm going to sacrifice more than anyone else to make a play, I can promise you. And I'm going to hit you so you don't want to play [any] more.''

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Spike » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:59 pm

Kyrax wrote:Uh, no, this is Bel drama or at least the drama stage you've provided to some Belegrim and others to act out their personal version of "Look at Me!!! I'm important!!?!?!!?!"

First of all, I haven't provided anyone with any stages for drama. Also, to say that this is being done by "Belegrim and others" is insulting. It's being perpetuated by Belegrim and *gasp* Dagorhir too. So don't point fingers at one group of stupid **** and leave out the other * too. This is clearly some cross gaming * and because one person has decided to come running to the Bel boards to talk ****, now everyone seems to be relying on that old Dag/Bel split to rack up super-argument points to win the thread.

This **** plays out the same way every single time: Someone gets banned. Whether they deserved it or not, they either BAWW or gloat over the **** here. Blackhawk bursts in and waves his e-peen around and "tells people like it is." Then a few rando-crossgamers stir **** up. Blackhawk proceeds to argue more and accuse Belegarth of things. Everyone gets butthurt and the whole argument remains unfinished and stupid.

Why do threads like this get started here? Belegarth provides a special forum for other games to post their upcoming events and promote cross gaming. I guess the real important question is why do the people who start these threads seem to think that everyone else gives a ****?
Last edited by Spike on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Kyrax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Sorry for the clip and respond, but you seem to have gone off on a tangent and I felt it necessary to clear up some misunderstandings.

Alunsun wrote:
Kyrax wrote:

If I may... what exactly is being produced here?

Regardless of your answer, whose product is it? Yours? Dag's? Bel's? ?

You seem a little confused, if you mean stuff written here, technically it belongs to Belegarth (as in covered by their copyright on the website).

At events, what’s being produced is the event. The point there is to throw a fun time for your members, visitors from other games and new folks, so they’ll come back.

Alunsun wrote: How can "poaching recruits lulz" be counterproductive to a sport in which the individual (not the organization) is what provides the results, especially in the case of cross- fighters?

Ever run an event or realm Alunsun? You work hard to provide the basis for those individuals to come and have a good time, to “provide the results” as you put it.

Poaching is by definition taking, in other words encouraging people, vets or newbies, to go do another thing, NOT what they’re there at the event to do. By using the term poaching I’m not talking about casually mentioning another game that you do, or encouraging that other vet to try something different – poaching means talking up something else and implicitly trashing the other thing. If people are finite, so’s their time and money. After a point, there’s only so much time and energy they can devote to this hobby.

Alunsun wrote: As for your suggestion of recruiting new peeps, it sounds to me like pure gridlock mentality in which both sports are competing to acquire the most of a finite exhaustible resource (people) and not wanting to share them. That is, of course, the way I see it going if you use the "This is the only sport of it's kind" policy that Dag uses.

You’re right that people who want to play this or these games are a finite resource, which is why I’d rather see the effort put into bringing new ones into our hobby(ies). Huge chunks of the potential recruit population have never heard of Dagorhir or Belegarth, and only of LARPing through movies like “Role Models” and the like that poke fun more than show the athleticism and competitive nature of what we really do.

There’s no harm in talking up the game(s) you play to people who already play Amt/Bel/Dag, but more to be gained by bringing in new people and sharing the possibilities with them.

Does that make more sense?

Alunsun wrote: Also, there have been occasions in which Dag admins (Dominus) have logged on here to dispute what was being said about issues involving the organization….

Dominus posted here exactly once, a long time ago. None of the other folks responsible for those things you’re worked up about do so, ever.

The active Dagorhirrim who do post here are those who crossgame, and we catch crap as if we’re responsible for the decisions made by others.

Alunsun wrote: Also, what do you mean by "no STEALING recruits"? Aren't you a cross- fighter?

Yup, I am. I’ve done Dagorhir, Darkon, Belegarth and a little Amtgard over the years. I’ve also talked to tons and tons of newbies and take care not to steer someone away from the group that I met them through. For example a recent new person to Belegarth in the Bay Area wanted to find a practice – so I pointed them to the closest active Bel realm (Salamandastron) as well as the Mallenorod Dagorhir practice I help run down in Sunnyvale. Of course, given the sparsity of either game around here, we cross-game a lot, so poaching or stealing doesn’t enter into it.

Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kyrax » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Spike wrote:
Kyrax wrote:Uh, no, this is Bel drama or at least the drama stage you've provided to some Belegrim and others to act out their personal version of "Look at Me!!! I'm important!!?!?!!?!"

First of all, I haven't provided anyone with any stages for drama. Also, to say that this is being done by "Belegrim and others" is insulting. It's being perpetuated by Belegrim and *gasp* Dagorhir too. So don't point fingers at one group of stupid **** and leave out the other * too...

This **** plays out the same way every single time: Someone gets banned. Whether they deserved it or not, they either BAWW or gloat over the **** here...

... I guess the real important question is why do the people who start these threads seem to think that everyone else gives a ****?

Spike - deep breath. "You've" was clearly meant in a collective sense, as in this group, not you personally.

And how can what I said be insulting when you repeat the same thing by stating it a little differently? I cited Belegrim specifically only because Dedric, the OP, is one.

As for the rest of it, I mostly agree - it's the same old story and got boring a long time ago - like 8-9 years ago. Can we move on now?
Last edited by Kyrax on Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:28 pm

I think that you hit it the nail right on the head there. And this is exactly what peeves me about Dag's policies.

Kyrax wrote:Yup, I am. I’ve done Dagorhir, Darkon, Belegarth and a little Amtgard over the years. I’ve also talked to tons and tons of newbies and take care not to steer someone away from the group that I met them through. For example a recent new person to Belegarth in the Bay Area wanted to find a practice – so I pointed them to the closest active Bel realm (Salamandastron) as well as the Mallenorod Dagorhir practice I help run down in Sunnyvale. Of course, given the sparsity of either game around here, we cross-game a lot, so poaching or stealing doesn’t enter into it.

You say you only point them to the group you found them in, but you didn't, you said, here's Bel, and here's Dag. Now if you did that on the Dag forums, you be immediately banned, if you did that here, it would be common practice. I used to point people to Dag, if there was no Bel in the area, but I don't anymore, only because Dag wouldn't do it either. See how this turns into a * match real soon. Yet if we all worked together to promote our basic hobby together, and pointed noob to where they might actually get some help, things would be better between our two groups. Had I tried to start our Dag realm with no realm experience (I had fought in Dur-D for two years before trying to start a group several years later in MT) I would have quit for lack of anyone close enough to have a battle with. In fact at our first 2 events, which were Dag events, the only people who bothered to show were Bele peeps.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Blackhawk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 pm

*Tucks away e-peen*
I hear you folks loud and clear. I hope that you understand that this is differing views on how to grow our respective websites and games. Dagorhir quite simply, is running their national boards as a 'for Dag by Dag' website. I understand that you do not like this, and if it hurts some of your feelings, I am sorry. It is not Dags intention to do so, nor is is our intention to pretend that other foam fighting games don't exist. We simply wish to have a place where the Dag community can talk to each other, share their ideas, and announce when and where Dagorhir events are to be held. A place where petty politics and game rivalry have no place. A PG rated place where someones parents can look when their children want to join.

I understand how you might think that this comes off as elitist or exclusionary. But i think you will find that our fighters are not like that. i think this mole hill has become a big enough mountain. I apologize for stirring this pot, my original intention was simply to keep Dedric from misinforming the good people of Bel the reason(s) for his banning. But it seemed that some of the folks here wanted some straight answers to question that they felt they were not getting. I hope I have answered your questions, and I have certainly heard your complaints regarding Dag policies.

Speed does not equal intense. Realistic, brutal, savage, simulated dark age combat is intense. You want speed, go run track!!

Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:25 pm

BlackHawk wrote:We simply wish to have a place where ... petty politics and game rivalry have no place.
How can y'all be so blind to the fact that Dagorhir's draconian policies and politics are the reason that there continues to be so much animosity toward your game? If you guys dropped the *, everyone would just move on. It's been almost a decade - people need to just move on.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:43 pm

Or you can play by their rules when in their house... It is as simple as not going there if you don't like it. Near as I can tell the only people who come here from there are the ones who like Belegarth like me and Kyrax... And prolly even Blackhawk. So why complain SO much about what goes on over there. Just don't go. They have made rules to guarantee that you inherently cannot be bad mouthed on their boards as well, which is pretty cool too if you think about it. I agree with what Spike said:

"I guess the real important question is why do the people who start these threads seem to think that everyone else gives a ****?"

I just love being a viking and hitting people with foam swords. I wish there was Belegarth closer so I could play 3 games.

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Gámhain » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:06 pm

Blackhawk, don't put the e-peen away!

You got this, man. You got this.

-In loving memory of Anam O'Suillibhain
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:21 pm

You know that it would be just as easy to ban the petty politics and such but still allow for an open line of communication.

"We simply wish to have a place where the Dag community can talk to each other, share their ideas, and announce when and where Dagorhir events are to be held. A place where petty politics and game rivalry have no place. A PG rated place where someones parents can look when their children want to join. "

That can still all be done, while still allowing for other groups to say, post when they are having events as well as open exchange of ideas about weapon making without having to skirt around the fact that your weapons tech may come from another game which you can't mention.

What I see here is a lot of people screaming that they want to be able to talk, share ideas and events, without politics and game rivalry, where as Dag seems to feel that if they were to open up a bit, people would suddenly turn into jerks and just start flaming up a storm. The only reason I see Bel as in any way superior to Dag is that we do allow for an open exchange of ideas and events. I see nothing wrong with censoring the boards to be PG or any of that other stuff.

I feel that Dag could benefit it's own organization by being just a little more open. You mention AFC/NFC superbowl and equating that to Arm. The unfortunate part is that if Dag is the AFC and we are NFC, your team wont be at the superbowl because we couldn't tell you about it.

I know Dag has had it's problems in the past with Bel members an d others, and I understand why their policies are in place. I just wish that bygones could actually be bygones, we would stop competing, and work together to the benefit of both our organizations.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bangor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:38 pm

Thrush wrote:So why complain SO much about what goes on over there. Just don't go. They have made rules to guarantee that you inherently cannot be bad mouthed on their boards as well, which is pretty cool too if you think about it. I agree with what Spike said:

"I guess the real important question is why do the people who start these threads seem to think that everyone else gives a ****?"

The problem comes in how many people are made angry by the regulation, how it restricts the free travel of pertinent information, and how it scares away potential recruits. It's a policy that hurts the overall hobby, and helps ease the mind of an elite few.
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Tiercel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:16 pm

*};-
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Postby Blackhawk » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:55 pm

I get it folks. Some of you don't think Dagorhir should be allowed to have a 'just Dagorhir' website. Message received.

Can we move on?

Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Wisp » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:50 pm

Actually, that wasn't my point at all.

Will
Sol Invictus FTW!
Wisp
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Sol Invictus
Favorite Fighting Styles: Small Punch, 32" Blue

Postby Tor » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Blackhawk wrote:I get it folks. Some of you don't think Dagorhir should be allowed to have a 'just Dagorhir' website. Message received.

Can we move on?

Wow. Apparently Dagorhir DOES have their own version of Saki.
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:03 pm

Blackhawk wrote:*Jumping to conclusions
*Explaining something simple with obscure analogies
*Agenda that no one else cares about
*Self-martyrdom
*Attempt to get the last word

-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Postby Alunsun » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:15 pm

There’s no harm in talking up the game(s) you play to people who already play Amt/Bel/Dag...
- Don't people get banned on the Dag boards for this?

-Now that we're on the same page as to what "poaching"/ "stealing new recruits" is ("poaching means talking up something else and implicitly trashing the other thing."), Dagorhir policy is not the same. Apparently, even mentioning Bel or other games is grounds for getting your account banned and you being called a poacher/ recruit thief.

There’s no harm in talking up the game(s) you play to people who already play Amt/Bel/Dag, but more to be gained by bringing in new people and sharing the possibilities with them.

- IMO both are equally important. If cross- fighting is left alone and information about all the sports is distributed throughout all the channels, we can get maximum attendance to every event. Thus we'll have more cross- fighters sharing information that they retained from their sport of origin a la Spyn... guaranteed. On the other hand, of course you want to keep the new recruits flowing, that's a given.

The active Dagorhirrim who do post here are those who crossgame, and we catch crap as if we’re responsible for the decisions made by others.

- They catch all the flak because it always looks like they're trying to justify Dag's "foreign policy," if you will. Those that don't... well, don't.

You’re right that people who want to play this or these games are a finite resource, which is why I’d rather see the effort put into bringing new ones into our hobby(ies). Huge chunks of the potential recruit population have never heard of Dagorhir or Belegarth, and only of LARPing through movies like “Role Models” and the like that poke fun more than show the athleticism and competitive nature of what we really do.

- I disagree. If you could talk about Bel/Amt/whatever events in the Dag forums, Dag fighters would be more inclined to participate in them as well, and vice versa. Thus, you would have new recruits from all sports being exposed to something new every time. This is advantageous to foam- fighting in general because if someone (for example) is exposed to ONLY BEL and they figure that it's too physical and doesn't have enough RP, Amtgard is a good alternative. This way, more fighters are exposed to what they really want and they don't leave wondering if there is anything else out there. New fighters will always be readily available, it's all about marketing here.

For example a recent new person to Belegarth in the Bay Area wanted to find a practice – so I pointed them to the closest active Bel realm (Salamandastron) as well as the Mallenorod Dagorhir practice I help run down in Sunnyvale. Of course, given the sparsity of either game around here, we cross-game a lot, so poaching or stealing doesn’t enter into it.

-Would you have done the same thing for Bel if it was a Dag fighter, or would you only have mentioned the Dag practices and NOT the Bel practice?
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Postby Alunsun » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:24 pm

Good Gawd Giggles!
Alunsun
Scout
Scout

Postby Akbar the Foul » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:27 am

Threads like these would be greatly improved if the phrase "I got banned" and all permutations wordfiltered to "HEY GUYS I SLAMMED MY * IN THE CAR DOOR SEVENTEEN TIMES".

Blackhawk wrote:And just cause you like my manliness:
You are right! 38 inches 40oz of perfectly balanced hate!
Come get some!!

I think the last time I saw a boffer that well balanced was when I spent a weekend with the Dragonhood. Bravo, sir.
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 14 Nov 2000
Favorite Fighting Styles: gravitational fat

Postby Akbar the Foul » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:35 am

Also, this entire thread is **** gay.

HURR DURR DAGORHIR HURT MY FEELINGS AND TOOK AWAY MY FREEDUMB OF SPEECH

Get the **** over it and grow a pair.

And some of you have been around long enough that you should be almost as sick of these threads as I am.
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 am

Giggles wins the thread forever.

Five Internets, sir.

PS: BH, the problem here is the hypocrisy of "You guys don't want Dagorhir to have a Dag-only web presence!" + "Dagorhir's policies are set by the membership, no one RUNS Dagorhir!" + "Most Dagorhir fighters don't care about politics!"

Why not have a vote at RWC or something and see if the population would rather have an open web presence?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

THREAD SUMMARY

Postby Akbar the Foul » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 am

this entire thread wrote:Image
Akbar the Foul
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Blackhawk » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:08 am

Arrakis wrote:Giggles wins the thread forever.

Five Internets, sir.

PS: BH, the problem here is the hypocrisy of "You guys don't want Dagorhir to have a Dag-only web presence!" + "Dagorhir's policies are set by the membership, no one RUNS Dagorhir!" + "Most Dagorhir fighters don't care about politics!"

Why not have a vote at RWC or something and see if the population would rather have an open web presence?

In order to change the national website policies someone from the DBGA board of directors would have to propose a change, the proposal would have to be seconded by another member, then discussions, and finally a vote. On top of that, if that decision is to open the national boards to other games, that decision can be repealed if it is brought to the founder (Aratar), and he decides that such a decision could result in another coup attempt. Due to events in its past, Dagorhir has adopted policies that aggressively defend the trademark name and intellectual property.

So, as you can see, it is not likely that the national website policies are going to change. I was able to find a Bel friendly environment on the local Dag boards where Bel has a presence, including information on your Armageddon event.

I applaud the feeling of inclusiveness you have shown to all the foam fighting organizations and understand your frustration that the national Dag board has not followed suit.

But by all means, lets draw this out for a few more pages saying the same thing over and over.

PS. Giggles & Akbar- that cracked me up.

Blackhawk
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:49 am

Hookay, so, BH is on the BoD, he's VP. He says only a BoD member could make this happen, along with a second. He also states it's not likely gonna happen. So I can infer that BH is the only person who might even consider such an action, since he posts here, etc. He's not going to stir that pot though. So in conclusion, Dag isn't going to change anything, no matter how hard people try, and no matter how many actual players of the game want it. The old guard that is Dag BoD isn't going to let it happen., no matter how much the rest of us may or may not like the idea.

Thanks BH for the scoop. I have often wondered what it would actually take to make that kind of change. Knowing such cooperation is basically impossible, at least through the national boards, I will end my attempts to bring suck a plan to fruition.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kyrax » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:08 am

Alunsun wrote:
Kyrax wrote:For example a recent new person to Belegarth in the Bay Area wanted to find a practice – so I pointed them to the closest active Bel realm (Salamandastron) as well as the Mallenorod Dagorhir practice I help run down in Sunnyvale. Of course, given the sparsity of either game around here, we cross-game a lot, so poaching or stealing doesn’t enter into it.

-Would you have done the same thing for Bel if it was a Dag fighter, or would you only have mentioned the Dag practices and NOT the Bel practice?

Please, if you're going to quote me I'd appreciate it if you made it clearer what was quoted and what's response. I don't care if you use the {quote} brackets or label them with initials or names, it's just hard to follow in that other format. Thanks.

As to the the last question, YES, actually just did. A Dag fighter from wherever is going to be visiting NorCal this summer and while they'll be within driving distance of my practices, there's a closer Bel realm. So I did exactly the same thing - told him about both (and they're on different days of the week, so like my local guys, one can go to 3-4 practices a week or pick the ones that fit your schedule better). Odds are that when you go to either practice you'll find guys from both games, and the occasional Amtgarder someone's brought over. Like I said, we cross-game and try not to get bogged down in labels.

Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Solusar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:52 am

Out of curiosity, when was the last time a non-Aratari member was on the BoD? Also with this influx of people being unbanned, was I ever unbanned? Even after making and maintaining my **** awesome Dagorhir Google map? Merlin forbid I go to several Dagorhir every year(multiple realms mind you) help run weapons check and or herald. You know, contributing to the sport in a positive manner as a primarily Dagorhir fighter. It obviously makes no sense to let me post.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:59 am

No, it's your terrible taste in music you jackass!

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Solusar » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:20 pm

Well jeez, if evryone could have just me that in the beginning.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Thrush Svartehjertet » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:31 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thrush
berserk

Thrush Svartehjertet
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Hash » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Tor wrote:*Do not post about non-Dagorhir organizations or non-Dagorhir events.

Romanempire.net (in some of your "Roman" people's sigs) mentions the SCA and Marklands, both non-Dagorhir organizations.

Police your ****.

Can anyone really answer this? I've been wondering why such as strictly Dag-only website allows SCA discussion, but bans Bel.
if you are the big tree, we are the small axe
Hash
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2008
Realm: Rhovanion
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

PreviousNext

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports