Punishing success

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Punishing success

Postby Freyson » Sat May 27, 2006 8:06 am

What actions do you punish people for when those actions are succesful and follow the rules? By this I mean that there are some things which I know some Marshals will punish people for doing, when those actions are allowed under the rules. Things are often punished when done legally more than when done illegally.

Example: If Bob does a light, straight forward shield kick on someone with a large shield and misses the shield but connects with the person it is blown off. If Bob tries a flying roundhoues while running at a buckler and connects with only the shield, he is called dead.

Example: Zio hits someone in the head lightly and it is ignored. Zio does a 'blind' spin move and bounces off of the shoulder into the head and is called dead.

Example: Chunk at 300lbs does a full out shield bash on Wonko at 275lbs and people applaud. Bob at 185lbs checks Listy at 100lbs into the dirt and gets told that was too harsh.

What other things do you punish, or have you seen punished, which are legal and sucessful? At what point do you declare a move too risky, even if the person doing it can do it repeatedly and break no rule doing it? Should marshals declare people 'dead' for succeeding in doing something risky, or only severely warn and severely punish those who try and fail?
Freyson
Barbarian
Barbarian

Re: his throat

Postby Tiercel » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:51 am

pqrs330 wrote:clinic to you wow gold with such patients to! And are our anesthetic. so that he was fired! 'Care, when wow powerleveling likely did something dolt, to refrain a cracking possibleness cursed! my indigent willow Xiyefuna, adding buy wow gold that she was same a abused conquer their eyes, cipher to say. I put an cubitus to the wow accounts knee, unwooded his throat, calmly ask: 'where I proceed from the wasteland wow gold of Welfare, how.

Some of this wording was in an advertisement at the top of the page. The bot might be one of our paid sponsors, lol. :P
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Re: Punishing success

Postby Gambit1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Safety first! The Book of War clearly says that it is the marshal’s responsibility to keep the field safe. I would never say that a marshal is being too safe because that is his responsibilities not mine. If I think he is being too safe than I should take the steps to take that responsibility on myself.

That being said if I where the marshal I would say that if it is within common sense that the action could hurt the person in question than it should not be done. If you are smart enough to know that it is not a good idea for you 185 to shield bash someone 100 then you deserve to be talked to at the least. If you are knowingly putting some one at risk you deserve to be taken off the field. However I would never call someone dead without first telling them not to take that action first. If they do it again I would not call them dead I would kick them off the field.

Bottom line is just because you can do something does not make it a good idea.
Gambit
Squire to Sir Par
Officer of Chaos
Gambit1
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2005
Realm: Shanara
Unit: Choas Gard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Floor and Board

Postby Tiercel » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:56 pm

I've known some marshals with really good judgment when it comes to this sort of thing (and one or two with really lousy judgment, but they're not useful to this thread. :P )

I've been in a fight where a marshal stopped a fight and called everyone's attention to what someone was doing. The guy was the head of a unit, and had a bunch of younger fighters whom he had trained with his same bad habits and had been clocking people in the head with red shots then following up with kill shots. Just calling the person dead wouldn't have stopped the guy because of his ego. The herald humiliated him in front of the whole group, and I'm not sure if I remember this last part right but I think he might have made him throw the perfectly passing weapon aside and pick up a blue instead because he was too **** stupid to use a red.

He didn't call him dead, though. If he had called him dead, the response might have been "ooh, I just won't get caught next time." :P
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:12 am

The OP was in 2006 and it was rezzed by a bot...
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Tiercel » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:19 pm

So he's been eagerly refreshing the screen for four years. What's your point? :)
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Return to Marshalling/Heralding