Fantasy LARP, yes that is the name

HACS, SCA, Dag, Amtg, NERO, and other similar sports discussion.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Fantasy LARP, yes that is the name

Postby Fantasy LARP » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:02 pm

http://fantasy-dundee.webs.com/, this is the homepage to Fantasy. This LARP experience has powers and ability's and classes to choose from. There are many classes to choose from that will greatly effect the battlefield strategy.

Visit the site and make an account and post you're true thoughts of the game both good and bad and hopefully, we will learn from what you guys have to say.
Fantasy LARP
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 11 May 1994
Realm: Andalon
Unit: merc

Re: Fantasy LARP, yes that is the name

Postby No'Vak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:47 am

Scythe alert!

Some cool armor and stuff though.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby The Lost Celt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:38 pm

not just any scythe, that's a tri-scythe!
Oftentimes I wonder how much better the world would be if more people drank bleach.
The Lost Celt
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2000
Realm: Pentwyvern and Rausumea
Unit: Camhalta Fianna and brothers in arms...
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive with short sword, S+B, daggers,

Postby Outhro Youkker » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:35 pm

Tri-scythe-cle?

I wonder if they got sword chucks and 12ft chain flails
"Gobo, what are you cooking?."
"Boot still with foot."
"That is disgusting!"
"Gobo know, me hate feet"
Outhro Youkker
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Umbar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ogre's Butter Knife

Postby Mase » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:25 pm

Outhro Youkker wrote:Tri-scythe-cle?

I wonder if they got sword chucks and 12ft chain flails

Yes to the sword chucks. No to the chain flails. One flail being made but just 8" chain, sorry to disappoint.

As to the scythe, yes triple bladed, and it has a rope on the end so you can use it as a giant flail. And as to it's durability, the middle blade bends at the base a bit because I messed up on that during construction. Other than that it is a fairly good weapon. The user hasn't died sine he started using it.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:06 am

Since you asked. Remeber that, kid.
I went to your site, it's a mess. I couldn't find the rules, but I get the idea from your inane conversations and picutres.
Your game looks **** stupid. Is it more than emo kids posing for anime style homo pictures?
My god, you guys look stupid. And the game looks boring.
You do have good garb skills, though. You would be very welcome at any FIGHTING organisation.
I think you would do well to get your freinds to start attending a Bel/dag practice, or, if your absolutly in LOVE with role playing, Amtgard. If there isn't a group in your area(which I doubt) you could start one.
Mase, I asume your one of the douch nozzles in that picture. If you want respect and acceptance, stop with the retarded weapons. Sythes will never work. I wish I lived closer so I could show you why. Flails only get 6" chains.
My best advice is to tell you to make you weapon rules in accordance with Bel/Dag rules. They are the standard for safety across the country. If your weapons are safe for our combat, they are safe for everything. You can also use you weapons anywhere, which will be a boon to you when you stop * around with this crap and get on with some real fighting.
Remember, you asked.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:53 am

I didn't ask. Someone did and I am currently finding out who.

Admittedly getting the game rules and such is harder than it should be. For whatever reason Rules is forums rules and Fantasy Wiki is where the gameplay rules are. I had the same issue finding stuff when I first joined. The pictures aren't the greatest, we try to get some group pictures at the end but they haven't been working out well altogether.

The parts of the game where we are having fun usually are the ones where we are too busy to take pictures. I can assure you it is a very fun game.

They could benefit greatly from going to a Bel event or the like. I won't argue that. However, sadly, quite a few of our people like the roleplaying aspect much more than the fighting
I tried to join a Bel group first actually. The leader I talked with is the one that brought me to Fantasy. (You can look at the join dates on the forums.)

Not in that picture no.

Scythes do work. Not well I admit. You are missing the fact that they are very fun weapons to make and to use however. The main reason why the scythe wielder wins with it is most of our people are newbies to foam fighting and are too scared to get near enough to kill him.

Most of our weapons are made in accordance with Bel rules. With the exception of cloth covers about half of our weapons use duct tape covers. Which, when made properly, are just as good or better than cloth covers.

Our base fighting rules are Bel rules with modifications to allow some of Fantasy's combat mechanics.

No I didn't ask and wouldn't be surprised if the one who did was a guy that got kicked out.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:16 pm

I don't see why he should be kicked out for basically asking for an opinion.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:25 pm

Listen, son, please don't start with the ductape weapons. As you gain some experience, you will see your error, there. Cloth covers are hands down the best thing running.
And sythes are good for nothing. Nothing. Except maybe using up resources that you didn't want some one else using to actually fight.
I'm not trying to be mean, kid. I'm being honest. It does look like you guys are having fun. I'm just saying, when you get your group out to an event, you'll learn what fun is all about.
Anyone can role play as much as they want. You just need to put in the back seat when the big fights start.
Honestly, whatever gets people out on your field is cool, just so long as they are there to fight at least once a week regularly and are steered toward large events in your area. Plan to attend a few as a group every year. Plan your local stuff around them. This exposure to the rest of the fighting world will weld you toegther and lead to alot more fun at your local weirdness than you would believe.
And mark my words, as you progress in fighting, you'll drop all your stupid sythe and other retard weapon notions in favor of good ol' weapon designs that have worked forever.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Noik wrote:I don't see why he should be kicked out for basically asking for an opinion.

Wasn't saying he was getting kicked out for this. Just saying that we kicked a person out and he would be my first guess as to who posted this. Then again our Leader is my second guess, so I really have no clue.

I have been foam fighting for 7 years. First 6 of those with duct tape covers. I switched some weapons to cloth so they would be Bel legal and after using both types, duct tape is better overall in my opinion.

Against Bel fighters, yes a scythe is nearly useless, but against lesser fighters it is a good weapon. I would never use one personally.

Fun is subjective.

One of our members is a leader of a Bel group. I hope that we co-mingle sometime as it would be good for our group. I just think that some of them wouldn't show up if we went to a Bel event.

As a foam fighter I only use daggers, short swords, and long swords. As one of our main weapon smiths I find it very fun to figure out how to make a workable weapon like a scythe. I wouldn't use it but everyone having different weapons makes the fights much more fun to me.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:05 pm

The main problem with a scythe is that the joint will break quickly with how hard many of us swing weapons.

The secondary problem with a scythe is that we don't have draw cuts, so your damaging part of the weapon is only the tip of the scythe but it does blue/red damage depending on the size of the weapon.

The third problem with a scythe is that, while sounding cool, they are useless against experienced fighters, same as our quarterstaves.
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Arrakis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Mase wrote:Most of our weapons are made in accordance with Bel rules. With the exception of cloth covers about half of our weapons use duct tape covers. Which, when made properly, are just as good or better than cloth covers.

Our base fighting rules are Bel rules with modifications to allow some of Fantasy's combat mechanics.

Pretty sure you have no idea how hard we hit if you think the crap in that picture up there would EVER pass in a Bel group, even if they had cloth covers.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Arrakis wrote:
Mase wrote:Most of our weapons are made in accordance with Bel rules. With the exception of cloth covers about half of our weapons use duct tape covers. Which, when made properly, are just as good or better than cloth covers.

Pretty sure you have no idea how hard we hit if you think the crap in that picture up there would EVER pass in a Bel group, even if they had cloth covers.

Seriously. Is there a need to insult our weapons? Considering that 3 out of the five weapons in that picture are Bel legal as is and the short sword would be legal if it had a cloth cover.

* Yeah scythes aren't good against experienced fighters, can't argue there. We'll see how the joints hold up. It isn't just pvc joints I reinforced them and I think they will hold up pretty well.

As to hitting hard and draw cuts. I don't think we hit as hard as you guys. Solid contact counts as a hit. We still can call garb and light but we don't bruise each other either. Also one of rules is role playing any damage dealt so draw cuts would work for us.

I knew the scythe wouldn't hold up in Bel so I didn't bother even trying to make it legal. Its safe, cool, and the owner loves it so I don't see an issue with it.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:51 pm

Mase wrote:* Yeah scythes aren't good against experienced fighters, can't argue there. We'll see how the joints hold up. It isn't just pvc joints I reinforced them and I think they will hold up pretty well.

I, for one, am intrigued at the scythe. More for the fact that I've never seen one that can hold up for more than an hour or so of our fighting. How did you reinforce the joints and let me/us know how long the thing lasts with normal use, especially if you are delivering solid hits with the tips.

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:23 pm

Thorondor wrote:
Mase wrote:* Yeah scythes aren't good against experienced fighters, can't argue there. We'll see how the joints hold up. It isn't just pvc joints I reinforced them and I think they will hold up pretty well.

I, for one, am intrigued at the scythe. More for the fact that I've never seen one that can hold up for more than an hour or so of our fighting. How did you reinforce the joints and let me/us know how long the thing lasts with normal use, especially if you are delivering solid hits with the tips.

3/4" PVC and joints to start with. Gorilla glued them together. Then put a wooden dole through the main handle. Then drilled screws through the blades and their joints into the wooden dole. The only blade having difficulty is the middle one and that was after two or three events and the fact that during construction I didn't get the * in quite right. I think it has pulled loose. The lower one is small enough that it doesn't budge at all.

Open celled foam for stab tips on it now. They weren't on it yet in that photo.

Also it is terribly top heavy and flexes too much. I think a 5 ft long one would be a better weapon, but the wielder requested it to be 6'.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:45 pm

Yea, the flex would be a big problem, especially with weapon checkers. We try to fail things we don't like...and scythes are one of those things.

Also, with how they are constructed, the ONLY part of the scythe that would really be a striking surface would be the tip of the scythe blade, so it would have to be padded with open cell...Screwing the blade in sounds like it would be a good idea, but I would worry it would weaken the plastic by putting a stress point in the PVC to crack in half.

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Thorondor wrote:Yea, the flex would be a big problem, especially with weapon checkers. We try to fail things we don't like...and scythes are one of those things.

Also, with how they are constructed, the ONLY part of the scythe that would really be a striking surface would be the tip of the scythe blade, so it would have to be padded with open cell...Screwing the blade in sounds like it would be a good idea, but I would worry it would weaken the plastic by putting a stress point in the PVC to crack in half.

Yeah hopefully the dole takes most of the stress. I'll let you know how it holds up.

As to the stabbing tips on it. For whatever reason I padded it like a slashing weapon. Then I realized after getting hit with it that it stabs... Kinda a d'oh moment when I realized that.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:20 pm

Mase wrote:
Arrakis wrote:

I don't think we hit as hard as you guys. Solid contact counts as a hit. We still can call garb and light but we don't bruise each other either. Also one of rules is role playing any damage dealt so draw cuts would work for us.

****, bro, I was just going on what I could see. And you said it yourself, you don't hit as hard as we do. It sounds more like y'all are doing Amtgard hit taking, which is totally fine.
Arrakis

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:28 pm

I am not actually sure how hard you guys hit. I would just guess that we hit lighter than you on average.

Perhaps if we did our duct tape covers wouldn't work as well. I just know that they work better than cloth for our purposes. I remember posting something about cloth versus duct tape on our forums an eternity ago. If I find it I'll post it here.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Mase wrote:I am not actually sure how hard you guys hit. I would just guess that we hit lighter than you on average.

Perhaps if we did our duct tape covers wouldn't work as well. I just know that they work better than cloth for our purposes. I remember posting something about cloth versus duct tape on our forums an eternity ago. If I find it I'll post it here.

Amtgard hits = taps that connect. Our hits = swings that you feel for a few seconds after it connected. They aren't full wind up, swing for the fences hits, but they are strong and connect with a solid *thump* which is part of why duct tape covers don't work out so well for us. They cause weapons to slap more than thump from what I've noticed. It also has something to do with foam break down, but that's not what I'm good at, so I'll leave that up to someone with more experience...

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Angmarth » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:10 pm

My general policy is (when fighting someone on the side who brought their ducttape bag of goodies), I will let you hit me with anything you have... under the agreement that I get to hit you with it as well. At some point during this exchange it becomes clear why ducttape is a bad idea for covers. This ususally works for ANY of the Bel/Dag bruisers, when testing weapons. If you are cool with getting creamed with ducttape weapons, then I am all for sparring you on the side with them. Pain is always fun for me, let's me know I am still alive.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Winfang » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:19 am

Mase wrote:I am not actually sure how hard you guys hit. I would just guess that we hit lighter than you on average.

Mase, you guys are in between Toledo and Detroit right? You should try going to a Eryndor battle sometime. They cover from Toledo to Detroit and have fairly good size battles once a month-ish. Those guys hit a little lighter then average for Belegarth, but you'll experience the difference first hand.
Cniht Wigthegn of Avalon
Syr Winfang of Avalon

Concentrate...feel the Force flow. Through the Force, crazy **** you will see.
Winfang
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 1995
Realm: Avalon
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Shield

Postby Mase » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:02 am

Winfang wrote:

Mase, you guys are in between Toledo and Detroit right? You should try going to a Eryndor battle sometime. They cover from Toledo to Detroit and have fairly good size battles once a month-ish. Those guys hit a little lighter then average for Belegarth, but you'll experience the difference first hand.

Alright thanks. I'll take a look into that.

Side note: We figured out who posted this. It wasn't who I would have guessed and he did it without telling anyone. Some of our people aren't too happy with this so we aren't releasing the OP's name and we hope that this will be beneficial to, possibly, both of our groups.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Anastasia » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 pm

Someone shouldn't get into trouble for posting information about a group. Openness and communication are a recipe for success in this world. I firmly believe this is why Bel has seen such an increase in the formation of groups in these last few years. The original post does not seem malicious. If you want to keep your membership in the long-term and earn respect from your peers and this community, I recommend that your leadership avoids power-tripping and controlling information. What would be the reason for disciplining the poster?
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:01 am

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Someone shouldn't get into trouble for posting information about a group. Openness and communication are a recipe for success in this world. I firmly believe this is why Bel has seen such an increase in the formation of groups in these last few years. The original post does not seem malicious. If you want to keep your membership in the long-term and earn respect from your peers and this community, I recommend that your leadership avoids power-tripping and controlling information. What would be the reason for disciplining the poster?

We aren't disciplining the poster. However as a larp we are used to foam fighting organizations not having much respect for us. Imagine our surprise when Forkbeard shows up out of no where saying that our game is "**** retarded." Only a handful of our people even know what Bel is and the rest of them were expecting more people to follow up with more flaming posts. It would have just been nice to find out from him rather than Forkbeard that he posted this.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:07 am

Since you're thick, I'll spell it out.
My overly hostile reaction was becuase I knew you guys would freak out. Actually, I expected more.
I didn't say ANYTHING that isn't true.
Your rules are unfindable to a new person to your sight. That's **** retarded. Get with the program. Your emo-style anime pictures are retarded as well.
I DID say you have very good garb and apearently some weapon construction skills.
I told you you would be better served to get some experience fighting before you spout off about how great you duct tape weapons are.
I have been involved with several LARP both big and small. I only offered my advice(yeah that's what it was) becuase I have a iota more respect for you guys than most LARPer's becuase you are using proper combat rules and are open to fighting with the real talent and learning something. You folks DO have alot going on.
You're just coming up sadly short in some areas.
If you can't take a little critisism, get off the internet, *. You need to learn to seperate the mean/funny from the actual advice you get.
If you * would have wanted to have a converswation about larping and what you're doing right and wrong, I would have dropped some wisdom on you. But you locked the thread like little girls.
Show some sack, sissy.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:35 am

Forkbeard wrote:Since you're thick, I'll spell it out.
My overly hostile reaction was becuase I knew you guys would freak out. Actually, I expected more.
I didn't say ANYTHING that isn't true.
Your rules are unfindable to a new person to your sight. That's **** retarded. Get with the program. Your emo-style anime pictures are retarded as well.
I DID say you have very good garb and apearently some weapon construction skills.
I told you you would be better served to get some experience fighting before you spout off about how great you duct tape weapons are.
I have been involved with several LARP both big and small. I only offered my advice(yeah that's what it was) becuase I have a iota more respect for you guys than most LARPer's becuase you are using proper combat rules and are open to fighting with the real talent and learning something. You folks DO have alot going on.
You're just coming up sadly short in some areas.
If you can't take a little critisism, get off the internet, *. You need to learn to seperate the mean/funny from the actual advice you get.
If you * would have wanted to have a converswation about larping and what you're doing right and wrong, I would have dropped some wisdom on you. But you locked the thread like little girls.
Show some sack, sissy.
FB

You make no sense. You were hostile because we would freak out? When being hostile would make us freak out more...

They aren't emo or anime style, they are just pictures.

You did nothing but insult us and say that our garb skills would be better served at Bel events.

I've been foam fighting for 7 years. Still no injuries from duct tape covers.

If you couldn't find the rules you could have asked instead of posting flaming comments.

Sadly this is the most constructive post I've seen from you.

Oh and about locking the thread. So sorry that our moderators actually try to stop flame wars.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Dane » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:05 pm

You make no sense. You were hostile because we would freak out? When being hostile would make us freak out more...

They aren't emo or anime style, they are just pictures.

You did nothing but insult us and say that our garb skills would be better served at Bel events.

I've been foam fighting for 7 years. Still no injuries from duct tape covers.

If you couldn't find the rules you could have asked instead of posting flaming comments.

Sadly this is the most constructive post I've seen from you.

Oh and about locking the thread. So sorry that our moderators actually try to stop flame wars.

1. He was hostile because he knew you'd react like you did. It was fun for him.

2. Whatever. Pictures.

3. Duct tape shears the foam and "slaps." If I hit you with one of your duct tape-covered swords, I'd mark you up pretty fiercely.

4. I can't find the rules. Link?

5. Speaking of construction, we recommend cloth covers for your weapons. A good, tight cloth cover helps prolong weapon life and reduces the amounts of welts and marks the bruisers from our game would leave on the flesh of those less-skilled in the foam combat. You'll also reduce your overall weapon weight, making them more accessible to more people and improving their balance.
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:18 pm

Dane wrote:4. I can't find the rules. Link?

Found them on their wiki! :)
http://fantasy-dundee.webs.com/apps/wiki/gameplay-rules

30# limit on bows makes me sad though :(

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:46 pm

1. Forkbeard is not flaming you, if he was you'd know it. He's talking to you the same way he would talk to you in person. He tell you this is stupid to your face just like on here.

2. If you can't take being called a douche, or that your game looks stupid, without QQing in your bed, you need to thicken up that skin.

That said, he also said your garb would make you welcome in any organization. Hope things work out for y'all. Enjoy your game. Don't tkae things so seriously.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:42 pm

Forkbeard calling people gay homosexual anime manga * or whatever is unnecessary and immature. Ignore him. He's always like that. Not enough love in his childhood or something.

Saying that you have promise but need to take a few evolutionary leaps in areas like weapons construction and fighting basics is probably just accurate.
Arrakis

Postby Mase » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:54 pm

Dane wrote:
5. Speaking of construction, we recommend cloth covers for your weapons. A good, tight cloth cover helps prolong weapon life and reduces the amounts of welts and marks the bruisers from our game would leave on the flesh of those less-skilled in the foam combat. You'll also reduce your overall weapon weight, making them more accessible to more people and improving their balance.

Soo Ma Tai wrote:1. Forkbeard is not flaming you, if he was you'd know it. He's talking to you the same way he would talk to you in person. He tell you this is stupid to your face just like on here.

2. If you can't take being called a douche, or that your game looks stupid, without QQing in your bed, you need to thicken up that skin.

That said, he also said your garb would make you welcome in any organization. Hope things work out for y'all. Enjoy your game. Don't tkae things so seriously.

Arrakis wrote:Saying that you have promise but need to take a few evolutionary leaps in areas like weapons construction and fighting basics is probably just accurate.

-Dane

1. My weapons with cloth covers weapon broke down faster. Might be a fluke.

2. It can reduce zero welts and bruises to what?

3. I'll take that into consideration.

-Soo Ma Tai

1. Since when is posting tons of insults not inflammatory?

2. Seriously. I am willing to have a debate or listen to constructive criticism. There is no need to insult either me or Fantasy.

Clearly we must take pictures of only half of our people... Half of our people wear a tee-shirt and jeans to our events. Despite our efforts to get everyone to wear garb.

-Arrakis

Not trying to sound arrogant but our weapons construction is fine. Covers are the only debate we've had on weapon construction. We do weapons tests and have thrown out some of the weapons with duct tape covers. With our small group it is pretty easy to regulate out any weapon that would be dangerous. I wouldn't recommend duct tape covers for Belegarth since the organization is so much larger and duct tape covers are harder to regulate than cloth.

To the fighting basics, hell yeah. I have to resist laughing some days at a few of our fighters. I have advocated fighting practices but those with bad fighting skill don't seem to have an interest in improving. I would love to try out a Belegarth event I am sure I'd learn a lot from it.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Thorondor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:19 pm

Mase wrote:1. My weapons with cloth covers weapon broke down faster. Might be a fluke.

2. It can reduce zero welts and bruises to what?

3. I'll take that into consideration.

1b. Since when is posting tons of insults not inflammatory?

2b. Seriously. I am willing to have a debate or listen to constructive criticism. There is no need to insult either me or Fantasy.

5. Clearly we must take pictures of only half of our people... Half of our people wear a tee-shirt and jeans to our events. Despite our efforts to get everyone to wear garb.

6. Not trying to sound arrogant but our weapons construction is fine. Covers are the only debate we've had on weapon construction. We do weapons tests and have thrown out some of the weapons with duct tape covers. With our small group it is pretty easy to regulate out any weapon that would be dangerous. I wouldn't recommend duct tape covers for Belegarth since the organization is so much larger and duct tape covers are harder to regulate than cloth.

7. To the fighting basics, hell yeah. I have to resist laughing some days at a few of our fighters. I have advocated fighting practices but those with bad fighting skill don't seem to have an interest in improving. I would love to try out a Belegarth event I am sure I'd learn a lot from it.

1) Duct tape will prevent blowouts from showing as easily, but the foam will still break down. It could be differences in construction, weather, who knows.

2) I'm assuming you guys just don't hit nearly as hard as us. I've come home with welts/bruises from shots taken though my greaves (around 12oz leather)..thank you Angmarth for that one. If you guys hit harder, you'd know where that is coming from.

1b) That's just how Forkbeard is. He doesn't mean anything behind it. If you take it at face value you'll get to know him, and probably even like him. Anyways, have you seen the leather work he's done recently? Amazing stuff...

5) If they aren't in garb, don't let them fight. Not sure how well that would do for your events, but it works well enough for us. A tabard and non-jeans isn't hard to figure out for 99% of people that know how to swing a weapon.

6) When you look to expand you'll want to be able to regulate your weapons/gear. That's why we've put effort into a book of war :)

7) Just find an event close by and make some weapons that follows our BoW (should be easy for you since you have foamsmithing experience already). We always love having new people out to fight. Even practices with near by realms might give you some experience. :)

~Þ~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:38 pm

Soo Ma Tai

1. Since when is posting tons of insults not inflammatory? when the person posting says this " post you're true thoughts of the game both good and bad " He gave his true and honest opinion, I am sorry you didn't like how he put it, like I said, thicken up a bit.

2. Seriously. I am willing to have a debate or listen to constructive criticism. There is no need to insult either me or Fantasy. You've been given constructive critcism, which you continually say is useless, i.e. Cloth Covers, if your duct tape covers don't hurt, you are not hitting as hard as we do, simply put. If I hit you with a DT'ed weapon it's gonna slap from here to Canada and will hurt like heck. The pics we've seen have decent garb, great, armor is cool, even if purchased from Schmitthenner, I know because mine is the same stuff. I would suggest you go to a Bel event and see what we do. Our fighting is full contact and we mean it, we swing 100% at events. It says in the first post, you'll "learn from what we have to say", but so far all you've said is "what we do works for us". If that's the case why even post here to ask for advice/criticism?
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Arrakis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:00 pm

Mase wrote:-Arrakis

Not trying to sound arrogant but our weapons construction is fine.

Cool story, bro.

Arrakis

Postby No'Vak » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I see what you did there.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:09 pm

You are going to get a lot of crap dealt to you from these vets, but in truth, much of what they say is true, though they aren't giving you their opinions in the way you want to hear it. For what you do, duct tape could be just fine, increase weapon durability, and not sting, but in our game it simply wouldn't work; the weapons will hit too hard. I get it and it makes sense for what you do (and you want to defend that). However, some of these guys will believe if it ain't Bel, it ain't worth it. That is their opinion, and they have dedicated much of their time to this sport; they are entitled to it, just as you are entitled to yours. It doesn't mean you now have to go and do what they say. You can still run your group however you want, post your events in our "Other events" page, ask your questions, use our resources, attend our events, get advice on garb and armor, and participate on our boards. That is the reality of the exchange, and it also means you may get some crap from time to time, but don't worry about it. There are many people here willing to help you whatever your group is like. If you want to be like us, great-we can help with that. If you don't, that's fine too, and we all wish you success. The one thing I will say is, there is a lot of fun to be had by being a part of a large national group. You can always run your group the way you want, but if you can also be a part of something big...Well, I doubt anyone wouldn't have fun with it.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:10 pm

That chick is in top notch garb.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Teej » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:00 pm

I like this thread.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Tor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:03 pm

Arrakis wrote:Forkbeard calling people gay homosexual anime manga * or whatever is unnecessary and immature. Ignore him. He's always like that. Not enough love in his childhood or something.

Although lately he's getting plenty. From Arrakis' MOM. Amirite?
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby No'Vak » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:04 pm

Tor wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Forkbeard calling people gay homosexual anime manga * or whatever is unnecessary and immature. Ignore him. He's always like that. Not enough love in his childhood or something.

ZING!
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bangor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Thank you, this has been entertaining as the esam.
Axe in the back!!
bangor
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 15 May 2002
Realm: Crimson Circle [Amtgard]
Unit: FrostBrew
Favorite Fighting Styles: Reverse Flo, Single short axe, Archery

Postby Calarn the Black » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 pm

We had a group near us at ISU (Iowa State) that used duct tape weapons like that...they hit MUCH lighter than we do, because otherwise the duct tape would sting the crap out of them. I really would encourage you to not use duct tape, except on the flats of the blade to doubly secure the sides of the blade layers. Also, if your cloth covered sword busted more quickly, perhaps sew the cover just a bit looser...it should fit the weapon well, but not so tightly that it takes 5 minutes to force it onto the blade.

Your armor looks nicely done, but i can't really tell from the pic posted here...it's a little fuzzy.

A gentleman who used to fight in TA made a scythe out of an old hockey stick, believe it or not...it even passed a few events. Unfortunately, it had a bad tendency to break down, especially near the angle of the blade.

In conclusion, dude, Forkbeard talks to everyone like he's posting...he speaks his mind, honestly, with a little profanity on the side. However, the man has been in this sport for a while; shrug off the jesting, and read what he actually said...more clearly post your rules, try not using duct tape as much because we've all had bad experiences with it, and come to some Bel events, as we'd love to have you come and fight.

Other than that, chill out, it's the internet. For some people, feeding the drama llama on the boards is like *.
(Caught a typo, what can I say ;))
Sir Calarn the Black
Knight Lt. of House Dregoth
Knight of Tir Asleen
Calarn the Black
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0-10-2002
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: House Dregoth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blue and Board

Postby Teej » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:12 pm

Tor wrote:

inorite?!?! Arrakis... umadbrah?
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Arrakis » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:25 am

Tor wrote:

Arrakis

Postby Mase » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:19 pm

For anyone that cares:

We just had another event and a couple dag players showed up. They had minor confusion about the rules on some points that we haven't clarified yet, but overall they enjoyed it. I sparred with one of them for quite a while after the event (bel rules for sparring, much easier) and picked up some tips on fighting. It was an enjoyable experience for both groups. Hopefully we will go to one of their dag events sometime.
Mase
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jay HellHammer » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:33 am

Come to Octoberfest!!!!!
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:04 am

Excellent.
I'm so gald you got a chance to meet them. And that you are talking about going to an event. I HIGHLY recomend it.
If you have some roll play types who don't think it will be fun, please try to get them to go anyway. Events are not just large fights. They are huge parties, with all the usual party fun along with alot of dressin up and silliness. They will not regret it.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kyrax » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:57 am

Who are you and what did you do to Forkbeard? How did you gain access to his login?

Go see the Bear Pit fight videos...
viewtopic.php?f=130&t=35416
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Return to Other Medieval Recreation Sports