Merchants Guild

Forum for the discussions for the creation of guilds.

Moderator: Ora

Merchants Guild

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Is there such a thing?

There should be. If there were at least some way of communicating and knowing what other merchants are at events and selling what types of wares.

My jewelry and I would join.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Re: Merchants Guild

Postby Derian » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:45 pm

I think there's a sort of localized guild of merchants that sell at Dur-Demarion events. You might see if that's still around.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Ilariia Bulochnika » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:41 am

Derian wrote:I think there's a sort of localized guild of merchants that sell at Dur-Demarion events. You might see if that's still around.

There is, just got started again this past Beltaine. Contact Ora.
-Ilariia Bulochnika, Esquire.
Viking Buddy
Food Craftsman
Kensman

The hero Belegarth deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Viking *.
Ilariia Bulochnika
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Knights Hollow
Unit: Empire of the Wolf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Flail and Board
Archery

Postby Ora » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Helloooo! What would you like to know?
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 6- 0-1995

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:43 pm

Just wondering if there was one with any sort of organization.

I am a merchant. If there's something going on, I'd like to be involved. Are you just around for specific events, though?
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Ora » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:17 am

Magpie of Rhun wrote:Just wondering if there was one with any sort of organization.
I am a merchant. If there's something going on, I'd like to be involved. Are you just around for specific events, though?
This past Beltaine we formed the "Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild" pretty much specific to Dur-Demarion events... Beltaine and Equinox. Dur-Demarion is trying to help bring a bit more focus to the vendors attending the events and therefore bringing the vendors a bit more revenue and hopefully encouraging more vendors to attend. But the guild is mostly for organizational purposes like who's setting up where, who sells what, who's donating what, where security is needed, etc. A lot of what I'm trying to do is keep the vendors in a more centralized location so people can more easily find the vendors, therefor encouraging revenue for the vendors as well as making it easier to provide security at night.

There are currently no fees involved, but those setting up booths at Beltaine and Equinox are asked to make small donations from their booths to be used as event/tournament prizes. There are a few perks in joining the DD Vendors Guild, like reduced event prices and nighttime security. So, its free to join the guild, but there are guidelines set up for members to follow so things go as smoothly and 'hopefully' without much incident during the events.

All is explained in the charter/bylaws that we use so everyone will know pretty much what to expect. If you'd like to see a copy of our charter/bylaws, let me know and I'll be happy to send you a copy.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Magpie Saegar » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:37 pm

No thanks -- I like what you're doing and it sounds great, but I've not yet made it to those events, and I don't foresee making it to those events soon.

I'll certainly be in touch if attendance seems likely, however.

Thanks!
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Ora » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:06 pm

That's cool.

If anyone wants to see what we have laid out for the Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild to maybe get some ideas for your own realm's events please feel free to ask.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Renna » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 pm

i do a shop at Ren Faires and similar local festivals.. i haven't been to enough Belegarth events to even know about merchanting at them but if i see it happening and like the idea, then I would join a merchant's guild.
{ you're not a hero ~ unless you die ~ suspicious of the wounded ones }
Renna
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jun 2009
Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Archery

Postby Ora » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:39 pm

Well, Equinox went pretty well. Merchant's Row encountered a few small snags, but in the end everything worked out pretty well. I spoke with our realm president and she's pretty much given me free reign to do whatever I need to to keep the Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild running smoothly and happily, so that will make things a bit easier.
Anyone who plans to attend Dur-Demarion events, Beltaine and/or Equinox, and wishes to join the Vendors Guild, please feel free to contact me for information. We'd love to have you there!
If anyone else forms a local guild I'd love to compare ideas with you!
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sparrow » Mon May 24, 2010 7:40 am

I'd love it if we could share our general statistics from events, ala publish net gain and net loss for each event yearly, our opinions of the sites provided, and overall feel of the event from a vendor's standpoint.

I think this is a guild that could work out nationwide provided we communicate well.
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Postby fideal » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm over on the west coast, is there any guild like this over here?
Also Ora, I am interested in your guilds bylaws and how your set up, shoot me a pm?
MGMT.
fideal
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2006
Realm: Andor
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword & board

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:17 pm

My wife, Juniper, sells garb on here at at the events we go to. You can shoot her a PM if you'd like to get something going out west here. We've had only a very few merchants at CW and a couple other western events, but more wouldn't hurt.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Ora » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:23 pm

These are the Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild By-Laws/Guidelines. Remember, these only pertain to Dur-Demarion events. So far this has worked out well at our events and since implementation there has been less confusion. We also have a DD Vendors Guild e-mail group set up so we can stay in touch with one another easier and I can contact everyone in our Guild easier to keep them informed of what's going on. If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to ask or comment.
Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild
Bylaws – Effective as of September 2010
1) All registered Guild Vendors will be charged the event’s pre-registration price unless the vendor(s) are staying in a pre-reserved cabin. Pre-registration prices are only for vendors who are not staying within one of the cabins within Group Camp I.
2) Registered Guild Vendors will be allowed access to Group Camp I to set up their booths at a minimum of one half (1/2) hour before Troll opens, unless otherwise specified. If any vendor needs help with their booth set-up, loading or unloading, please contact Ora at least two weeks before the first day of the event to make arrangements. Upon arrival to the event all vendors and their helpers must check in with Troll to receive any last minute information. If you arrive on the first day, before normal check-in time, check in with Troll or find whoever is in charge of Troll before setting up your booth and receive any last minute information. Vendors who fail to check in may be asked to leave and made to wait to check in at normal check-in time. A list will be left with Troll of all Guild Members.
3) Merchant Row set up is based upon first-come, first-served* and your arrival time/day will determine where you may set up your booth/tenting area in Merchant Row. All Guild members will be placed alongside the fighting field in what used to be the area designated for tenting and will be designated as “Merchants Row Only”. This will place all vendors in a location visible from the fighting field and will also provide electricity, water and restrooms.
*Twisted Unicorn will set up on the front porch of the Great Hall and Ladies of the Lace will be located in the first area closest to the bath house. If anyone doesn’t understand this, please see Ora. Veteran Guild members are currently defined as those who were in attendance as of Beltaine XV, April 2009.
4) If you need electricity* for your booth and all areas near the Great Hall are occupied, please see Ora before setting up your booth. Vendors not in need of electricity for their booths will set up their booths in areas where electricity is not available to allow vendors in need of electricity to have access to it. Extension cords and surge protectors will be provided by the event coordinators, but you are encouraged to bring your own extension cords to ensure power is accessible to your booth. Requests for electricity must be made no less than two weeks prior to the first day of the event.
*Electric outlets are limited, so it is also considered first-come, first-serve until all available outlets are in use. Please let Ora know ahead of time if you need access to electricity. You are also required to provide your own extension cords so make sure you bring them long enough to reach.
5) Vendors wishing to camp with their booth or within their booth may do so.
6) Guild members* will have first choice of setting up in Merchant Row. All other vendors will be assigned spaces on a first-come first-served basis, but registered Guild Members will be given preference. If a vendor is not registered with the Guild they will be given the secondary spaces available.
7) If you know of anyone wishing to register with the Guild please have them contact Ora at ladysaaphire@yahoo.com. At present there is no charge to register with the Guild.
8 ) Vendors and registered Guild Vendors who have agreed to donate an item or items with minimum value to be given away by the event coordinators as event prizes may do so, but it is not mandatory. If you are interested in donating an item from you booth, please contact Ora or an event coordinator.
9) Upon registration all Guild members must list their main items of sale (ie jewelry, pottery, swords, etc). We want as many vendors as we can fill into our spaces, but we’d like to have a variety of choices to help ensure all-around vendor sales. The Guild reserves the right to refuse vendor set-up if we feel there are not enough event attendees to guarantee equitable sales. The Guild was created to prevent duplication of merchandise while still allowing free trade.
10) Nighttime security* is being provided for the whole event, but you are encouraged to secure your items and booth to help avoid theft. If you are the victim of a theft from your booth, please contact the event security as soon as possible. Contacting outside law enforcement is discouraged as it may threaten our relationship with our site, so please, please, please contact security or the event coordinator before picking up your cell phone. If you contact outside law enforcement before seeking event security or coordinator you will be banned from the Guild and will no longer be able to vend at any Dur-Demarion events.
*We aren’t always guaranteed nighttime security, so please be sure to secure your booths or stay within or near them.
11) With the exception of the time you are setting up or tearing down, ALL vendors are expected to wear garb while in attendance of an event,
These bylaws are subject to change
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sparrow » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:12 pm

Ora: All but the last part seemed reasonable. Banning someone for calling the cops when a theft occurs seems a bit harsh. It is quite possible that it could threaten the relationship between the location and those using it at the time, but I don't think getting the police involved (especially in an extreme case like having your cash box stolen) is as punishable as it sounds
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:13 pm

It sounds fair to me. As I read it, you're not banned for getting the cops involved... you're band for getting the cops involved BEFORE trying to solve it with the local security first.

It's like complaining to your company president, when your manager can handle it. Or going to the principal when a teacher can handle it. And if security can't handle it, it sounds as if police would be the next valid option.

Might as well use the resources provided first, especially if it benefits all those present.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Ora » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:17 pm

Exactly Magpie. Sparrow, I'll give you a quick reasoning... over the course of a few years Equinox/Beltaine has had incidents where the police have been involved for one reason or another and no matter how small the incident, if the police show up the park is contacted. After the 4th strike where the police were called in, Montgomery Bell banned us for a year from using the park. Even though we are past that and have Montgomery back as our event venue we are still strongly scrutinized, therefore we ask that things be allowed to be handled internally before contacting outside law enforcement.
It's not that we're completely against any outside law enforcement, but as Magpie stated, giving those in charge a chance to resolve an issue should be first. If nothing is accomplished then the local law enforcement can be called. Believe me, most all of the merchants involved with the Dur-Demarion Vendors Guild understand this policy, have no problem with it and agree with it.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sparrow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:15 am

Ahh, I see. My reason for being taken aback was mostly on the off chance you cannot find event staff, calling the police would seem like the next course of action. I assume that is accounted for, though. The fact that it actually occurred enough to have the park ban the event makes the rule make ten times more sense though.
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ora » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:18 am

Luckily for us Merchant's Row is set up close enough to Troll that if we need to contact coordinators for any reason Troll has a radio to reach them. Also, the way our Row is set up now the merchants can easily camp with or inside their booths for security purposes, making everyone a bit happier.
Ora
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sparrow » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 pm

I have a question concerning merchants guilds...What if I started a message board for us to use as coordination? We can have separate forums for each individual guild to have its own discussion, and a general forum for cross-sharing information that might not otherwise be available to merchants in other areas.

Would this be a good idea or not? I don't know of any guild in my general area and would love to get merchant info for multiple events for other merchants to use as well.
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to set up a private (or public, if you'd prefer) section on this forum.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Sparrow » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 am

Public would be better, mostly because it would be easier for new merchants to access the information on events.
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Postby OokamiNora » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:02 am

i dont know, you might to make it private, and set up a topic called merchants (or use this one) and ask people to continue to talk about it, and see if they want to, and what they sell, then invite them to the other fourm, but you could just make it public too,

I would love to be part of the merchant guild, but i dont have much in the way of merchandise nor do i think i am near an event, i live smack dab in the middle of the country, and with what i have seen, you mostly gather around the edges of america. otherwise i would so join =) if you have suggestions for me about merchandise and places to go, please tell me, thanks for the good guild XD awesome idea!!
Cast into darkness
I've become Heartless
for beyond the gate
I found my final fate
That after i'd been smote
I had finally awoke
to find a woman sweet
I thought i wouldst not meet
and a tree of ever gleam
To give me a final dream.
OokamiNora
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2006

Postby Sparrow » Wed May 02, 2012 3:34 pm

What events do you usually go to, Ookami? I am in central IL.

As for what to sell...try to fill a niche no one else is currently filling. For most events Lady Feri will be there selling food. SAM and someone else sell clothing (shirts mostly, some belly dancer accessories). I saw some jewelry both Octfests I've vended at. I'm not sure about other vendors or where they sell at.

War Paint Artisans generally outright sells accessory type stuff; we have a few garb pieces, a few dragon statues we've picked up over time, and then we do the rest in service type stuff. We make stencils, airbrush clothes and people, paint, and draw. Here's our website: www.warpaintartisans.com

Here's a Facebook group I started a while back, it is somewhat inactive but does contain a short how-to guide on vending at OctFest (who to get in touch with, how much a booth cost last year, general stuff). https://www.facebook.com/groups/299516486732170/

Anyone is welcome to join. It's a closed group but I will add you upon request.
Sparrow
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Guild Program