Character Help

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

Character Help

Postby Rat Shattered Fist » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:46 pm

This thread sole purpose is to help Belegarth members get ideas to better get involved in a character with our sport. Any posts made that do not help the persons in question will be deleted.
Last edited by Rat Shattered Fist on Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Name: Shattered Fist
Race: Ratling
I am the rat! <:3__)=------
Rat Shattered Fist
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 07 Jun 2003
Realm: Oasis
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hand Axes, Florintine, Sword and Board.

Postby Black Cat » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:56 am

I'd have started role-playing by now, but I am having a hard time with my character's story. I can't seem to come up with a believable story for my character. I am thinking about trashing this character idea and starting over.

Any ideas for a character persona? I want an elven rogue/thief/assassin type character capable of wielding heavier weapons than the class normally allows, but generally doesn't use spears (except javelins), long glaives, or 6-foot+ greatswords. My abilities and stats are going to be parallel to my real life abilities, although I have no real way of guaging that.

My primary style in Belegarth is Archery and my secondary styles are going to be everything else except what I have excluded above.

Could one of the DMs help me with my character? I am trying to come up with something good that people aren't going to pick apart in 5 seconds.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Rat Shattered Fist » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:58 pm

Just to reiderate(sorry I know big words, just can't spell 'em) what you said.

So you want a "Half-orc" like character who can wield heavier weapons, and preform "Shadow Dancer" skills. Maybe that might start some brianstorming. But choose wisely.
Rat Shattered Fist
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Black Cat » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Either something like that or if multi-classing is allowed, I may be a full-elven thief-type character and a warrior of some kind. I know you can multi-class in D&D, but I am not exactly sure what the restrictions are. The only D&D-based game I ever played was Baldur's Gate II.

(On another note, can these posts about my character be moved into a new thread? I think I have just derailed this topic)

Edit: I have decided to attend a Belegarth event or two before I decide on a character. It'll give me a chance to try out everything and see what my actual strengths and weaknesses are. It'll also give me a better idea what I want to be on the battlefield. See you at Yestare VII!
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rat Shattered Fist » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:09 pm

My question is, do you know of someone who dm's a DnD game. Get together with them, and simply ask how the game is played. Along with questions on what races go good with what class. If you are that serious about finding a character that fits you the best, and won't get gang raped in belegarth? Then you will have to talk to a dm. I can only do so much from my computer, where as a dm sitting next to you could explain things and show pics of what things look like, and so on.

I'm sorry if I can't give you any more advice. But like I said if you are that serious, you will have to research with some one you can sit next to. indepth researching like that is hands on stuff.
Rat Shattered Fist
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Black Cat » Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:54 am

I should ask the members of my group about this. I have just remembered that I had seen several role-playing books including Forgotten Realms at Davis's (Harlock's) house when we had our foamsmithing meet.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rat Shattered Fist » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:16 pm

Sorry I couldn't help out more, especially with you being there and me being here.
Rat Shattered Fist
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Grey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:04 pm

well glad you're not an elvish ninja anymore....

but you'll still get ripped on for being an elf.

especially a red using elf

(note: i'm not rippin' ya, i'm just warning you what might happen)
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Andrek » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:48 pm

Now Black Cat. You will always get crap. But a good way to tone down the crap is to use those elf ears you can get at any costume shop. You will be more geek on the field but at least you will have put effort into it. Most will respect you to some degree for it.

Do the elf thing, work hard to get into an assasing type group. Don't ever ask to be in assasin groups, I have never found ones that will let you in if you ask. Just fight, get better... and obtain cool garb.

Make sure you don't give any claims on the board you cannot back in RL. The only exception I allow for when beating grunts is if they obtained an ability for an event. Then I only give them a little crap... but I expect it to be given to me right back for my geekness.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby Ogre » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:35 pm

Then I only give them a little crap... but I expect it to be given to me right back for my geekness.
Andrek you are a geek ;) but no geekier than any of the rest of us.
Black Cat, your character story does not have to be "believable" just interesting, i mean none of our stories would be cool if they were "believable" just ask Amenhotep (arahtep) his story, its way interesting, but believable, not really
OGUR SMASHH!!! OGUR KILL!!!

=Forsaken=
Ogre
Underling
Underling

Postby Eris » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:21 pm

If you're only a half-elf, you can nix the ears, have a reasonable background for the character (stereotypical, but whatever): grow up with human side, learn to use big weapons to show you can, even if you look like a scrawny *. The rogue/assasin skills started off as just sneaking around pulling pranks on over-sized * you lived with (siblings/cousins/whathaveyou), but as you got older you put them to better use (i.e. increasing your availabel cash, getting gifts for the ladies, killing off those * who beat you up every day when you were a kid). Besides, if you're only a half elf, you wouldn't necessarily have really pointy ears, and as an outcast your clothing wouldn't have to be high quality.

Or, if you were a full elf, you could have been orphaned and taken in by a human family (lesser nobility might be best for this, since you'd get arms training and nice clothes). The same scenario as above would work, just tweak it a little...
Eris
Hero
Hero

Postby Griffolion » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 pm

ok i heard stuff about classes and even a few things in magic, do these things apply in rpg events or are they just for show?
live by the sword, die by something else
Griffolion
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Elebrim » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:59 am

Unless you fight in Amtgard, which is screwy, then they're just for show. If you get good enough to support a persona, then roll wit' it. Magic is not a part of the standard BOW, but is sometimes used in themed battles or scenarios. One fight I remember involved mages chucking water balloon fireballs when it was eighty degrees outside.
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby Andrek » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 pm

If it is a DM sponsored event we generally have magic. The rules for healing follow closely to the rules that Dagorhir had used.

The other magics will need to be cleared by the event coordinator (aka the DM or person running the event).

These events, will allow any special weapons/abilities earned to be used at other Belegarth DM sponsored events.

These will be far and few between. The goal of the sport is skill. These will only be added for the uber geeks such as myself and marcadus. We love these things and are willing to host as life slows.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby ~?'Rayoe'?~ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:30 am

my house and i are going to try something new at beltaine this year.
we are each going as "shinigami" or death god's.
normally death god's cant be seen or touched by normal mortal's, BUT!
since everyone on the field will be possessing a high fighting mentality and phisical/mental strength's they will be able to see us and harm us.
any objections?

for pics of shinigami
1:FRICKIN GOOGLE IT
2: FRICKIN YAHOO IT
3:Image
~'Rayoe Vincent Frahm At Your Service'~
~?'Rayoe'?~
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Elebrim » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Sounds cool. Could go either way, but give it a shot! Have fun, and I'll keep an eye out for you on the field and see if my mere mortalness can't provide a challenge. ;)
Templar Draconis Kestevara
Elebrim
Hero
Hero

Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara

Postby ~?'Rayoe'?~ » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:43 pm

Elebrim wrote:Unless you fight in Amtgard, which is screwy, then they're just for show. If you get good enough to support a persona, then roll wit' it. Magic is not a part of the standard BOW, but is sometimes used in themed battles or scenarios. One fight I remember involved mages chucking water balloon fireballs when it was eighty degrees outside.

holy ****! water ballons! ive never thought of that! what an awesome way to create a splash effect of damage. omg what an easy concept. todays practice shall be very fun!!!! thanks alot!
~'Rayoe Vincent Frahm At Your Service'~
~?'Rayoe'?~
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Character Help

Postby Seraphen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Alright, just seeing if my storyline is concrete at all, and what others think of it.

I am, as my name makes clear, an angel. I was put on earth by my god, the god of the sun (don't care which one), for thinking too little of the mortal races, and to learn a valuable lesson of the hardships they live with. In all my years in the heavens I had only appreciated one thing that that the mortal races did, and that was their ability to dedicate themselves through hard work to build something from their sorroundings. Sadly, even this often went wrong, with people destoying the things around them to make something 'better' of it, or making it into something unlawful for personal pleasure.

So, being stuck as a mortal I decided to become what i considered the greatest of all men... a farmer. He found an open plain that was unclaimed, and began to make fields from it. Needing no sleep or rest, I built no home, and worked each day with the mighty sun on my back.

Sadly, a day came when an army was marching near my field. The army commander saw the lush fields, and no home anywhere near, and thought it a fortunate thing to feed his army. I, naturally, stepped forward and told them they had no rights to my field, and to find their own food. After a heated argument, the commander lashed out at me, and I smited him with naught but a pitchfork in a flash of celestial light. The soilders, cowed by the display of power, moved on.

Weeks later, refugees started to pour past the fields, and I did my best to feed them. I learned that the army I had sent away hungry had come upon their village, and taken everything they had to support their wareffort, including most able bodies. Realizing that, by removing their commander and sending them away hungry, i had played a part in it. I learned that things were not so black and white.

Though I still tend my fields, I have since learned to do my best to contribute to more. I chose to serve under the King Karion of Shannara, and helped him find the corrupt of the land and put them to work on my many, many fields in the lush plains of Shannara. I'm am now a soilder, a lawbringer, a viscount, and a friend. First and foremost, I will always be... a farmer.
Just call me... The Farmer!
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 18 May 2008
Realm: Shannara
Unit: Chaos Guard Elite
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Sword and board, Archer

Postby Seraphen » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Too much, I take it...
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:42 am

Seraphen wrote:Too much, I take it...

You didn't get flamed for it. That's the first sign you didn't do too bad.

A little cliched, but not bad. Cliches are around for a reason, and not all of them are bad. If it is the character you want to play, go for it. Know, though, that not a lot of people do a lot of characterization.

As far as being an angel, just don't go too over the top and people won't make fun of you too much. Find a new spin on looking angelic, however you want to do it, and have fun. Just don't expect people to smile and nod if you don't have garb that fits the background.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Salamander » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:14 am

This year I'm going as a Goblyn Shaman!
Oh wait....I did....^-^
I'm still trying to build up the tribe that I came from. All of the Goblyns up north here with me are all female, so we toy with an idea of an Amazonian-ish tribe focusing on the worship of the Goddess Sifu. Something along the lines of females getting tired of breeding and males in general, ended up gathering in the northern reaches. Males are not permitted to hold powerful positions, and most male spawn are abandoned. I want to have it be a current and thriving tribe, to break away from the tradition of most Goblyns beings lone survivors or some massacre or lost tribe. Plans are being made, but I don't know most of the Goblyn myths and legends, and have no idea where to find most of them.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby Caleidah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:55 am

Salamander wrote:This year I'm going as a Goblyn Shaman!
Oh wait....I did....^-^
I'm still trying to build up the tribe that I came from. All of the Goblyns up north here with me are all female, so we toy with an idea of an Amazonian-ish tribe focusing on the worship of the Goddess Sifu. Something along the lines of females getting tired of breeding and males in general, ended up gathering in the northern reaches. Males are not permitted to hold powerful positions, and most male spawn are abandoned. I want to have it be a current and thriving tribe, to break away from the tradition of most Goblyns beings lone survivors or some massacre or lost tribe. Plans are being made, but I don't know most of the Goblyn myths and legends, and have no idea where to find most of them.

*cough*TalktoIzarethandGalya*cough*
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Seraphen » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:42 pm

Caleidah wrote:As far as being an angel, just don't go too over the top and people won't make fun of you too much. Find a new spin on looking angelic, however you want to do it, and have fun. Just don't expect people to smile and nod if you don't have garb that fits the background.

I dress up more as the farmer, really. I wear a straw hat, most of the time. I only really represent the angel thing morally, and in race riots. Which can be harsh, by the way.
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:59 pm

Seraphen wrote:
Caleidah wrote:As far as being an angel, just don't go too over the top and people won't make fun of you too much. Find a new spin on looking angelic, however you want to do it, and have fun. Just don't expect people to smile and nod if you don't have garb that fits the background.

I dress up more as the farmer, really. I wear a straw hat, most of the time. I only really represent the angel thing morally, and in race riots. Which can be harsh, by the way.

Try and play it up a little more than just looking like a farmer. Otherwise, saying, "Oh, I'm an angel," will have people shaking their heads more than they normally would.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Seraphen » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, i do try to take the honor thing to the highest level. Never backshoting, attacking evil characters first, defending the injured. I've even been known to bless ohter 'goodly' character, not that it has any real effect.
I even rant now and then to the 'evil' fighters about the beautiful graces of the light, much to their annoyance...
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Seraphen wrote:Well, i do try to take the honor thing to the highest level. Never backshoting, attacking evil characters first, defending the injured. I've even been known to bless ohter 'goodly' character, not that it has any real effect.
I even rant now and then to the 'evil' fighters about the beautiful graces of the light, much to their annoyance...

><

You're not getting what I'm saying. I'm saying that your -garb- should reflect your "angelic" nature. I'm done throwing input to this thread. My main statement is that you should -look- angelic more than acting it if you want people to see and acknowledge the character.

But good on you for holding your character at all times.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Salamander » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:48 am

Put it this way. Belegarth gets real funny about roleplaying, simple fact. No one is gonna respect your character if run around yelling "i is a angelz!", while wearing clothes that looked like you swiped them from a half-eaten peasant, and swilling booze at the same time.
That's what gets you mocked.
However.
Show up in garb that makes people think of angels, or paladins. If you have to tell people what you are, you're doing it wrong. Make them think "angel" when they look at you. As a Goblyn, I should be able to just look at you and know that in character, we're not going to play nice.
This year at Okfest, Ixous showed up in paladin armor. There was no question about it. I never spoke to him, but I knew what it was. That is what you should strive for.
Your actions, without all this, will simply make you seem like some arrogant douche.
If something is worth doing, it's worth getting absolutely filthy over!

WitchDoktor
Salamander
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2008
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword'n'Board

Postby The Great Gigsby » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:28 am

Salamander, I think people like Seraphen are the exception to that rule. He seemed pretty committed to the angelic farmer concept at the last event I saw him at. He looks like a farmer, he acts like you would expect an angelic warrior to act when on the field.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Azgarehta » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:03 pm

In regards to Saraphen or Angelic garb/attitude:

Wear white, like fresh garb doused in bleach white. You'll stand out on the field dominated by blacks, reds and dark colors like a sore thumb. If not all of your garb, get a belt sash or a sash around your chest that is some bright color of white or yellow. Since you're going for a farmer look, browns and beiges are your colors for garb. Just that little bit of contrast of white or yellow will definitely shine through that you're more than just a simple farmer.

Also, if you ever get around to wearing armor, go with metal, and polish it to a mirror shine. You get a single pauldron for your sword side that catches the sun like a mirror and people will know you're some kind of paladin or supergood character.

On attitude, its the normal paladin stuff of protecting the weak and downtrodden, etc, etc. I think he's got this down.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Seraphen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions, and I intend to spply them as best as i can at the moment. I plan on getting some shining plate pieces, and a backpack shield with a wings design on in. Thought that might help a bit. Other then that, going straight knight templar. White tabard, red cross of constantine, and a crusaders helm. Plan on buying a leather one and trying to fashion it to look shiny metal. Thanks again for the help.
Seraphen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Siggard » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:06 pm

i was thinking of sort of a warhammer chosen warrior type character, anyone have background ideas :?:
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 2010
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' board

Postby Caleidah » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Siggard Mordus wrote:i was thinking of sort of a warhammer chosen warrior type character, anyone have background ideas :?:

Just treat it like a Warhammer character. Chosen of Chaos, I take it? There is an entire unit that bases their stuff around Chaos from Warhammer Fantasy (House Hellhammer) and a few people that I can think of that have Chaos styled kit that are not in the unit (Skeith, the Forsaken).

As far as garb, go for more of a viking/barbarian look. That is what all of the Chaos Warbands pull their look from in Fantasy.
Knight of Grond
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Postby Siggard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:09 am

thanks for the suggestion....and im with the goblyn shaman too, seraphen...as i am an unholy warrior...if i ever meet you in chaos wars or any other event we will sure as hell not play nice... :axed:
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 2010
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' board

Return to Role-Play