Is there anything wrong with my character?

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

Re: Is there anything wrong with my character?

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:02 am

Tsk. I was going to make a Kevin from South Park joke, especially because his wikipedia entry is quoted thusly;
"Kevin Stoley is characterized by his preference to bring along his Star Wars-related toys, much to the annoyance of other characters who are participating in role-playing games not associated with Star Wars."

But that Darth Vader clip made me laugh first.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Paragon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Ok, so I'll admit that I did not read all of this forum, it got kinda long and ranty. But in my scimming I didn't come across the two items with which I take issue: Title and name.

Title: Darth is a title that is earned, handed down to you by your master. This is basically the same process that people go through to become knights. I think if you want this title, you should find a knight to squire under, then instead of becoming a knight, ask him for permission to get the title "Dart" instead. If you cannot find anyone to do this for you, then perhaps you found the answer to your question. (Note: People get very irritated at individuals that say they are a knight without putting forth the effort and time to become one, sith will be no different).

Name: Correct me if I'm wrong, but is your name actually "Darth Cheesheart?" I'm sorry, but Cheesheart is not a good name. It does not arise fear, nor does it demand respect. If you want people to think you're cool, no matter how awesome your costume may be, "Cheesheart" is not going to accomplish this.
Paragon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Jul 2008
Realm: Sentry
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Sir Anastasia » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Darth Cheesehart is a given name in the Chamonix tradition. This name was given by Tolga/ Tarmac of Aggelgorod. We all liked it because Darth ran away at the end of battles and we wanted to heckle him into getting aggressive. Our traditions often include funny names: Chicken, Flounder, Wolfenstein 3D, ect. This is just the way we do things. The persona issue is a separate thing...

Darth...you are going to quickly lose sympathy from good people by pressing this. Obviously, your persona does not fit in the mainstream of acceptables for our Medieval/Fantasy. I really don't care about that and I think you can play any character you want. You will be burdened with dealing with people who will find it obnoxious, but you chose it, you can't then get in everyones' face and ask "why" they have a problem...you * well know why they do. If you don't like people acting this way because of it, change your persona...or better yet stop giving a crap about what other people think.

-AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Ralimar » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 pm

God * it. Almost two weeks ago, I saw this thread, knew it was going to be dumb, and ignored it. But tonight I was bored and just couldn't resist. I now want you to know that I hate every single one of you. I feel like your dumb asses just took two years off of my life. I hate you. I hate you.
Ralimar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2099

Postby Sieglatan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:15 am

I would have thought a nickname like Cheeseheart would have just stayed as a sort of inside joke for the realm, and not as ones official moniker, but as before, to each their own. My nickname was "shrugs" due to my response to almost every question anyone asked of me. And thinking about it, Darth ran away at the end of battles? How does that work, may I ask?

Anything to make your stay in the interweb as pleasurable as possible, Ralimar!
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Tonaho » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:51 am

As Kadis... I believe that was Kadis... Kadis?
Anyways, as Kadis(?) said, expectations play a huge role with your title (Darth BEING a title and not a name) And I would definitely expect anyone with the title of Darth and the persona of a sith lord to be able to hit me with lightning or choke me with their mind. As he can do neither of these, he is already letting down said expectations. The only things he COULD do that I would expect of a sith are be mockingly polite but still a downright * (which is a trait the sith frequently display OFF of the battlefield) and be a dirty-ass fighter, using any cheap shot he could take, avoiding direct confrontation, and often using less-than legal tactics. Being a sith in Belegarth brings you to a point of letting down the expectations you give people AND raising negative expectations about your person in general.

Seig, I can almost accept a sith lord wormhole jumping to a medieval world, landing the ship in the sea (or a cave, or deep forest, etc etc) where it wouldn't be found and proceeding to somehow loose his lightsaber, but find a sword a proper replacement. However, why did he lose his connection to the dark side of the force and if he did, how can he still properly call himself a sith lord?

EDIT: I can see someone taking a joke-name like cheeseheart. It makes a lot more sense now too, though it looks **** ridiculous being preceded by Darth (in any setting, not just a bel thing. It would be bad in star wars too) One of our best fighters was named "puppykicker" for a while, and ever since the county fair, I believe another of ours is now going by the name "Puke Leg" I believe that since he has such a gross-out name, he is now also carrying a very loosely played goblin persona. Mostly manifesting in the use of a new weapon and making different jokes on and off the field.
Observation: The dag mods seem to be afraid that we're going to raid their realms, burn their homes and steal their women. That's ridiculous, I would never burn their homes.
SirMADOG wrote:Riot cops are a special breed. They like to show up to work early to beat the crowds.
Tonaho
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Krayts
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Blue-Green Dagger

Postby Siggard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:37 pm

im sorry but i just have to say...if you want to be something that is anything from star wars to warhammer: 40,00...i just have to laugh my * off at you...because this is medieval, not elaborate gun blaster **** or vyroblade crap either...this isnt halo...and there are no energy shields! so do not I REPEAT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD...DO NOT BE ANYTHING SCI-FI! PPL WILL **** WITH YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE! THEY WILL LAUGH THEIR ASSES OFF AT YOU! and im not doing this to insult you, im doing it to prevent you from some bad humiliation...so be creative man! sorry, but it's back to the drawing board for you! :sword: :axes: :armor4: :armor3: :armor2: :armor5:
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 06 Aug 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' board

Postby No'Vak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Alright.

August **** 18 2009.

Lurk moar, for **** sake you're new you have no experience to comment on how BMCS is going to accept peoples characters.

And aren't you some gay warhammer character anyways?
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Black Cat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 pm

Siggard, you have no room to talk. You are reviving dead threads left and right while pointlessly parading the shambling reanimated corpses of said threads all over the boards. Not to mention insulting other peoples' characters in these reanimated corpse threads when you have no real clue what is and isn't acceptable for roleplaying in Belegarth. Ancient Egyptian or Greek/Roman based characters fit into our game just fine. Even Fantasy characters are perfectly acceptable as long as they fit in with the Ancient or Medieval theme Belegarth portrays.

FYI: The term "Medieval" in Belegarth usage refers to the style of combat we do while on the field and the theme of the "night life" activities at events.

P.S "vyroblade" pfft. It's called a vibroblade, you noob.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Siggard » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 am

last time i checked this is a medieval combat society...not star wars society or ancient society...and by the way my character is a warhammer online age of reckoning character, not a warhammer 40,000 character...look it up dumbass
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Black Cat » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 am

Siggard Mordus wrote:last time i checked this is a medieval combat society...not star wars society or ancient society...and by the way my character is a warhammer online age of reckoning character, not a warhammer 40,000 character...look it up dumbass

We use the term "medieval" loosely. In our (very loose) definition of the word, early Dark Ages = Medieval. Therefore Ancient = Medieval by extension.

About the only thing you have the right idea about is the fact that Sci-Fi characters normally do not fly in our game. If Darth Cheeseheart succeeds, his Sith-based unit will become the only exception to this. (good luck with that BTW, Cheeseheart) Of course the only way to make the whole Sith thing fly is for said Sith to totally lack their Space-Age technology and be forced to fight with non-energy melee weapons, or at the very most, vibroblades/vibroweapons recharged using a combination of the arcane arts and alchemy.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Unit: Untamed

Postby Caleidah » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:39 am

Black Cat wrote:at the very most, vibroblades/vibroweapons recharged using a combination of the arcane arts and alchemy.

Putting on my Star Wars nerd hat, the actual Sith used dark magic and alchemical arts to make swords that had the same sorts of cutting power as lightsabers.

So yeah.

ANyway, quit arguing with him. Feeding a troll is the surest way to keep it around.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby No'Vak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:09 am

Not to mention isn't star wars like from a galaxy far far away a long time ago?

**** retard, fantasy flies.

And lol IM A CHARACTER FROM WARHAMMER ONLINELOL BLAHBLAH TZEENCH BLAHBLAH DEAD THREADS BLAHBLAH MYMOMDIDNTLOVEMEENOUGH.

Edit : Guess I'm defending Cheeseheart lol...
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Siggard » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:21 pm

oh ok i get it, so its loose and the definition of dark ages plus before that time...ya that cleared it up for me so thank you for that...and no'vak i really didnt need that blablabla crap...and sorry for being an *, are we all good on this now?
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Titan G » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:22 pm

um you also have to factor in that about half the game doesn't caer about characteration. two the actual sith race existed over 25,000 years before the battle of yavin and the battle of yavin is the spring point of most star wars canon. as in the " a long time ago in a galaxy far far away." sith as a title was taken by dark jedi fleeing the first jedi civil war and the native sith used several medeival style weapons and magics, specifically the greatest sith warrior king conquered his **** plaent with a battle axe. and lastly the most important part of foam fighting is ....foam fighting.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Tor » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:34 pm

Siggard Mordus wrote:PPL WILL **** WITH ME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE! THEY WILL LAUGH THEIR ASSES OFF AT ME!

Andor ftl.
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Cheeseheart » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:14 am

I'm so happy to see this thread revived :P
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Azgarehta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:17 am

I think the lesson to be learned her is that regardless of how dorky or weird your character is, people will still accept you if you put in your dues, fight well, and don't be a douche. They may still poke fun at your character, but ultimately, you'll be accepted.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Siggard » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:50 pm

i agree, and i also dont give a flying pig's **** that half of all belegarth warriors dont care about characterization! i do my own **** and dont care about what people think of characterization!!! >:(
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:33 am

For someone who doesn't care about what other people think, you sure do spend a lot of time apologizing or being defensive.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Siggard » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:05 pm

ignoring your crap
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Postby No'Vak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Siggard HallBjorn wrote:ignoring your crap

You obviously don't care lol.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Titan G » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:00 pm

the entire concept of asking the question or even the act of stating what your character will be on a public web forum is innately asking for acceptance and judging the societal acceptance of such behavior.

at the end of the day most of the cool cats spend a decent amount of time on character and an unholy amount of time on becoming a good fighter. this isn't a value judgement on those that prefer character work to becoming a great fighter, it's just that by and large being a great fighter will get you noticed over being highly in character.
ABF
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
Smile! It's Graavish!
the monster with the red right hand.
A Life well spent in pursuit of pointless hedonism.
You are to wit what Hellen Keller was to competitive paintball
Murder means never saying your sorry.
Happy to live in a world were piracy is once again a viable career choice.
"Look men, something in the distance we haven't burned yet!"- Sherman
Titan G
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 04 Apr 2004
Realm: Dur Demarion
Favorite Fighting Styles: stick jockering douche baggery

Postby Spike » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 pm

Siggard, this isn't just to you. It's to anyone who ever comes to the rest of Belegarth asking about their extensively thought out characters. The best characterization isn't telling people who you are, it's showing them who you are. If you have to tell me anything about yourself, you're doing it wrong.

There are too many Fearsome King Sepherdragons out there who've only been fighting for three months and haven't even gone to an event. If this is your bag, prepare to take a lot of ****. I know you've thought a lot about your character. Maybe spent a lot of time carefully crafting garb and armor to match your style. Fact of the matter is, you get out there and your Phantom of the Opera mask rubs your face raw, you keep tripping on your cape, and your ornate armor inhibits your movement when trying to throw off that swing from One Piece that you've been practicing in the back yard.

First and foremost is always the game. Get a feel for the ruleset. Fight with a strategy and weapon combination that best suits your physical capabilities. Work on what you can do. It will make whoever you decide to be a more fulfilling and rich character. You may even find out along the way that, surprisingly, Raven McNightstar the Turbo wasn't really best suited to you anyways.

tl;dr - Just start off being some guy, not that guy. It works out in the long run. Every time.

Sincerely,
Spike J. Greanbakk
Commander of the Horde
Wielder of Irony
Spike
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 9- 0-2003
Realm: Pyke
Unit: Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Siggard » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:19 pm

hmmm...you have a very good point there, and yes i have not been to a single belegarth event and so far the back story doesnt seem to be working out for me. i think ill go with your advice and just not do a back story, and no i wasnt going to give myself a title like: Siggard HallBjorn, warlord of the norscan host. i will just be Siggard HallBjorn, a marauder fighting for his life
Siggard
Grunt
Grunt

Postby PhotoJoe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Hmmmm... Old Republic era sith. They're from a longer long time ago I guess.

If Darth CH was to show up with a unit decked out in Bel Legal armor looking like that and they fought with honor would you really care what their backstory involved the force instead of elves, dwarves, ents, or hobbits?
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Postby Teej » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Done by the same guy who did the archangel helmet... though I suspect this helmet is legit replica... but there's some ideas for the body. Mind you, the 1/2" rule with armor... but it's something to work off of.
Teej
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Dec 2005
Unit: Rogues of Gorewood
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Cheeseheart » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:05 am

Something like this currently in its beginning stages.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire