Changing names / personae

Strictly In-Character Interaction

Moderator: Misc: DM Group

Changing names / personae

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm

I've seen it done only a couple of times; most recently Noik/No'vak comes to mind.

How often do folks change their names to go with their new kits / new fighting styles / RP interests?

Are there any downsides?
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Re: Changing names / personae

Postby Galya » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:34 pm

Off-hand, I'd say it doesn't happen all that often. Mostly because once you've been known by a specific name for a long period of time, it's really hard for those who know you to get used to the new name. Unless it's really similar, like what No'Vak did. But even then, you're still going to hear the original one a lot. An example I can think of is when Pooky changed his name to Hurin. I still call him Pooky. And I'm definitely not the only one who does. It's just habit.

That's probably the main downside. It's not as huge of a deal as some might think. Name change at your own discretion.
Galya Grikhunter, former Belegarth Secretary, Horde Commander, and War Council representative.
Still an admin though, because people trust me or something. ;)
Blood Valley HoRdE: Massacring the Midwest since 2004
She/Her/Hers

Forkbeard wrote:So, you can't decide if that is Galya or Par? I have to admit, I mistake Par for an old woman regularly. But Galya is a beautiful and intelligent lady. I'd never mistake her for him.
Galya
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 13 Sep 2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: dah HoRdE
Favorite Fighting Styles: Board and Bat
Pronouns: She/Her

Postby Outhro Youkker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:11 pm

I might have to make 2 alts because if some awesome Gypsy garb I just got, and some awesome chest armor that I was given.

I get to take a break from the goblin and try to be sleazy or noble
"Gobo, what are you cooking?."
"Boot still with foot."
"That is disgusting!"
"Gobo know, me hate feet"
Outhro Youkker
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2007
Realm: Umbar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Ogre's Butter Knife

Postby Azgarehta » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:31 pm

I have an interesting dichotomy of both a formal and fighting name. My fighting name is Bard, and my formal name is Azgarehta. Suffice to say that no one uses the long one on the field. From my experience, you develop a name and a character, and people that come into contact with you know you by that name. When you change it, you come into contact with other people, who know you by that new name. Over time, as people filter into and out of the sport, your new name gains traction with the current group of fighters, but there is still the old group that knows you by your old name.

I've found that when you dress and act differently in your character, and really express characterization, people tend to latch on to that character better, and it eases the process of character change. If you're just the same guy with a different name, it's a bit harder.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Victor Slade » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm

sadly enough im thinking of changing my name, not really persona (which isnt even fully developed yet). i really like my name but i have a speech problem which prevents me from saying "victor" clearly. and i hate having to have to say my name like 5 times or have a realm member say it for me until they clearly understand it.
*belegarth practice*
guy 1 "oww you hit me too hard"
guy 2 "do you need a spoon?"
guy 1 "why would i need a spoon?"
guy 2 "to dig the sand out of your *"
Victor Slade
Toadie
Toadie

Realm: Bael Turath
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby Magpie Saegar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:31 pm

I was Silthen until my first event, after which I've always been Magpie. I've recently considered norse-ing it up a bit by going to Magan Saegar, or somesuch thing -- but people already know me as Magpie, so I'm staying with that. I just added a last name.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby No'Vak » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:15 pm

I just changed mine because bugbears are *. Noik was my name since I started, and it was my first D&D character name as well as handles for several online things. But I only changed mine because a bugbear named Noik just sounds retarded.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Thanks for the responses.

Since my roman unit has been disbanded for quite some time, and the unit I'm currently in, as a whole, is decidedly anti-RP I've been giving thought to ditching Tiberius and developing a viking kit to satisfy my historical/RP itch and some new gear / burgeoning garb skills.

Vikings fit in much better with the whole medieval aspect and I think the Bel community in general has a more amicable opinion of them too. I'm wondering if its worth the confusion to change my name to something Norse or just continue as Tiberius and dress the viking part?

Perhaps the option of having a field name and a board name is the middle road? Or perhaps it doesn't even matter? I mean Fork and Magnus dressed in samurai armor/garb at Yestare and didn't change their names because of the "samurai summer" kick.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Zwei ap Owen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:26 pm

'Period' names don't really matter. My character is a Welsh bishop named Zwei, which is a German ordinal, not a name. I chose Zwei because it was a nickname I already had and it sounded appropriately exotic. Maybe if I'd thought about it more carefully when I first started fighting I'd have picked something that fit the unit I was joining, but it wasn't a priority. Now, I can't imagine answering to something like 'Rhys' or 'Dafydd', and I can't imagine anyone knowing who the hell those people are. Maybe if there was some ridiculously huge event in my fighting life (I can't imagine what), I'd change my name. But as it, 'Zwei' is good enough for me whether I'm make-believing to be a Welsh bishop, a Viking jarl, an Orc, or a Space Marine half-vampire werewolf. I'd be just as happy playing dress-up foam-tag with Tiberius the Roman as Tiberius the Viking as Snorri Þorfinnsson the Hobbit, as long as those guys weren't douche bags or something.

Unless having an appropriate name makes it more fun for you, in which case sure, go for it. But no one worth a * is going to get you down if you don't.
His Grace Sir Zwei ap Owen Liberator Domus Wyndhavinis
Arch Episcopus Venedotiae Dei Gratia
Dominus Meridiani Marchium
Miles Ordinis S. Mycaelis et S. Gorgii
Viking Illigetimus
Camhalta Fiannae
Lepidissimus Vir
Zwei ap Owen
Hero
Hero

Realm: Gwynedd
Favorite Fighting Styles: Excommunication

Postby The Great Gigsby » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Changing your name is awesome.

Take it from me!
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Isk » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:22 am

Tibby sounds very Norse. Just change it to Tibby. That's what we call you anyway. :)

Seriously, though, you could change the surname and keep something Tiberius-ish for your given name if you really want to switch it up and still have people recognize it. I am stoked to see how the PD viking round turns out. You've already seen the one Scottsman did for himself, right?
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Isk - yeah, its awesome and I want his help making mine; might even pay him to do it if he's feeling well enough after surgery.

Especially after Zwei's post, I'm just going to leave the name as is. It's the kit and gear that makes the style, not the name. Why confuse folks with a name change?

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Solusar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:19 pm

I appreciate this post because I think every now and again of changing my character to a black goblin since everyone assumes that's what I am anyway. But Solusar is not a goblin name at all, which is why I've stayed a drow. It's good to hear others opinions on the situation.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Andrek » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:37 pm

I started as Anaki, then it chnaged to Zelrieg as an assasin style character, then I took Andrek. It has wroked well w/ the character story I have created. If you want to change go for it, but rebranding yourself will be difficult if you are well known.
Sir Andrek-
Knight's who do not accurately think in leadership, are nothing more than silly children with a patch on their belt.
Andrek
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 5- 0-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Silver Dragons

Postby Horati OTFH » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am

Personally I just added something on the end of the name such as with my current name. Horati of the Frost Hills. Keep the main name, but add something to it to show a change.
Knighted under Sir Diomedes at Chaos Wars 18
First Knight of the Frost Hills
Horati OTFH
Warrior
Warrior

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dabbanoth » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:15 pm

I change my name and get major reconstructive surgery every 72 hours.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Silly » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

As most other people have said, if you're well-known it's a bit hard. Some people will just never get it. Over time it may change, but I know a guy who has tried to change his name like three times but it never works, people can't make the switch. If you want to change your name, I recommend a definite persona/garb switch as well, people will associate it with whatever you're taking on.
Crossgame, because who the hell ever played just ONE game on the playground?

Silly
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2010
Realm: Byzantium
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single

Postby Thumbs » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:31 pm

There's a dude in my realm whose had about 4 different game names, but the realm still only ever uses the name we gave him on his first day.
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Quickie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:51 am

just something to think about but a name change also relies on how much respect people have for you.

kid who used to fight with us named himself Zelda, he was a bit more than a idiot. we told em that Zelda was a chick. no matter what he changed his name to after that we all called him Zelda, and we had a lot more **** sway then that jackoff. so it stuck.

*as an exclaimer, there might be a well known fighter named Zelda. the guy in my story aint him.*
yes please... :target:
Quickie
Grunt
Grunt

Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: jester
Favorite Fighting Styles: bat and board.
shank stix.
archery.

Postby jester kaiu » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:44 am

Try to get your friends and realm mates to start calling you your new name. When they dont it becomes extremely difficult... Right quickie -_-
Sir Kaiu the Twisted Sun
War-chief of Jester's Court
jester kaiu
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2006
Realm: Dunharrow-dekalb
Unit: Jesters Court
Favorite Fighting Styles: Random chance swings, alot of 'em

Return to Role-Play