Remove fun noodle as a strike legal foam?

Topics For Experienced Members

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Remove fun noodle as a strike legal foam?

Postby Loptr » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:46 am

Fork made a good pint in another thread.

Fun Noodle works reasonably well in Amt for fast swords that will cheese out quickly. Fun Noodle brand noodle has progressively become less durable over time. This is causing weapons to cheese out faster in Amt let alone Bel. There are other noodles out there Whacky Noodle and Joe Boxer that are much more durable, but they still cheese out fairly quickly compared to a quality MC foam of even blue foam.

It would seem to me any foam that can break down rapidly and become a safety issue should be considered an in appropriate striking surface material.

Thoughts?

Loptr

*edit for typos
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Realm: Acheron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tappy Tappy
Seriously......

Re: Remove fun noodle as a strike legal foam?

Postby Versago Hayashida » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 pm

We have a few Fun noodle speed bats in our realm. Most of the time they last two or three weeks. but we have had some pass check at the beginning of practice and fail by the end depending on who is swinging the weapon.

I would second a motion to remove fun noodle as a appropriate material for striking surface.
Ronin of Ered Duath
Versago Hayashida
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 07 Sep 2005
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Kittens of Battle
Favorite Fighting Styles: Club and Punch Shield, Red sword

Postby varadin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:47 pm

the second you start limiting the foams that people can build out of you might as well just make everyone buy from forged foam. limiting technology is not a good call.

Also some brands of fun noodle work better then others. Some break instantly.

If it passes a hit test, it **** passes. Why does it matter. If it starts to break down during a day be the responsible person and take it the **** off the field. Its not different then a weapons core snapping. **** breaks during the day, if you aren't checking your stuff throughout the day you shouldnt be on the field.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Ignatius » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 pm

Soooo, how are you all going to check what kind of foam is in a tube at the event? Cut into every toob? Take the persons word for it? Seems like something hard to enforce. Also, would pool noodle be illegal for incidental padding? Or blanket ban?
Ignatius
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 25 Feb 2008

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:11 am

Consider also that this is a pain in the * for people who host or encourage cross gaming events. As it is now, Amt weapons over 12 oz can make it through check if they are in good condition. If the rule passes, large events will have to choose between loosing 35-50 fighters or not following the BOW in its entirety. We have cross-gamers out here all the time and have had no incidents of people using their gear until it causes injury. We have had no injuries from Amt style weapons: we run about 3-4 events a year like this.

Any equipment can fail during the day. It is least likely to fail the same day it was checked and passed. It makes much more sense to require these weapons to be checked everyday at large multi-day events (like Chaos) than it does to ban them and cause a nightmare for event coordinators.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:48 am

Anastasia, I don't really want to argue the point with you, but cross-gamers need to understand the culture and norms of other games before they show up to a meeting or event. I've never been to a Bel event where an Amtgardian shows up with a bunch of shoddy noodle swords expecting to fight with them. They familiarize themselves with our weapons and our way of doing things, do a little research ahead of time, and fit right in. It's how I did it. It's how every cross-gamer that sticks around does it.

Are you saying at California events, you have 30-50 Amtgard guys show up with ultralight noodle swords and either spot fix them so they get up to weight, or weigh them down ahead of time? Why? A **** noodle sword is a **** noodle sword no matter how much it weighs. The reason golfclub noodle swords are prevalent in Amtgard is because they take 20 minutes to build, cost very little to replace, and are super light, so you can be a better lazy fighter quicker than someone who would otherwise use a weighted weapon. People use them because they're the lowest common denominator.

It sounds to me like cross-gamers are building and using poor quality weapons and developing bad habits at your 3-4 events because you're encouraging them to. If they pass, fine. Whatever.

I guess I just find the state of California Belegarth as you relay it on the boards to be utterly assbackwards.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Squire Moxk » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:29 am

Passing something like this would change one of the core features of our book of war, which is why it works so well as a rule book. It is intentionally sparse. We never tell people anywhere in the book of war what methods are acceptable to build with, because no one could ever have determined what methods would be used in the future to build passing legal swords when the document was written.

Actually there is one rule about how to build weapons, and that is the one that states that tape on the striking surface should be kept to a minimum. Now a lot of people want to remove that rule from the book of war, because of it's short shortsightedness about new construction methods.
Dunharrow
Amyr
Squire Moxk
Thug
Thug

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/Round

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:43 am

Many of them should fail. None of them should auto-fail. As others have pointed out, it is not within the spirit of the game, it is not easy to enforce, and it is unnecessary.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Pierce » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 am

I would be against this for most of the reasons already stated. If it's padded sufficiently, it passes, doesn't matter what materials were used. You could use skis and bubble wrap as long as it passed for hit.
Western Uruk-Hai Ravenger
(\_/)
(ಠ_ಠ)
(> <)
My bunny is better than your bunny.
Its octopi you jackass.
Pierce
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 06 Mar 2004
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: western Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: GIMME A WEAPON!

Postby Sir Anastasia » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:56 am

Giggles, with all respect, I think you have a lot of misconceptions about assbackwards California. I have been on Amt boards to discuss our weapon's checking policy as much as up to 6 months before our events. Amt weapons weighted correctly do make it through those checks, but they would no longer make it through if this proposed rule passed...obviously those fighters would then need to get entirely new weapons and at that point, I potentially lose 35-50 quality fighters (Amt is established 14 years + in California), or any number of fighters who would prefer not to be hassled into getting new gear. This proposed rule makes one of the largest events in Bel more difficult to run, and would potentially damage years of work to bring different groups together. I'm not asking for an allowance on current rules, I follow the rules, changing them will hurt my region.

So, to answer your question: No, they bring pre-weighted Amt swords that are more likely to survive heavy combat due to notifications and meetings over a 6 month period prior to our major event, then they are checked by extremely competent people that are respected by those in our sport. Some builds may contain the foam proposed in the ban and I see it as an inconvenience and a barrier to play, while I try to recruit quality, veteran Amt players who have been swinging stick longer than Bel has existed.

I want the best quality everything at my event, and I work hard to balance a multitude of opinions. I understand I am a controversial figure, but a lot of crap posted here about my realm or events is false. Your speculations are false. Anyone who has been to one of my events knows I kill myself trying to coordinate the best event possible, and if I sucked so much at it, I probably would not have had 330% growth in 3 years.

PS: Sorry to argue when you didn't want to, but I really bust my butt getting the info out to Amt! We even visit groups to demo and talk about construction before BfR.
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for the response, Ana. I was hoping you would clarify.

Noodle-swords suck as weapons. Period. They suck in Amtgard and they really suck in Bel, not to mention that the quality of pool noodle has continually declined over the years. I don't know why anyone would go through the effort of counterweighting an ultralight noodle-stick when they could just build a standard camp pad sword that'll last longer and perform better. If you wanna cheese hard, there are lots of ways you can build reasonably durable quick-tubes to whatever specs you need. I'm of the opinion that unless they're just one shot walk-ons or are taking advantage of your hospitality, these guests from other games should build weapons that don't break down in a day as a courtesy to the group hosting the event.

I guess I can't think of any other chapter or event in Belegarth where you'll see 35-50+ people fighting with noodle-swords. That seems backwards to me.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Squire Moxk wrote:Passing something like this would change one of the core features of our book of war, which is why it works so well as a rule book. It is intentionally sparse. We never tell people anywhere in the book of war what methods are acceptable to build with, because no one could ever have determined what methods would be used in the future to build passing legal swords when the document was written.

Actually there is one rule about how to build weapons, and that is the one that states that tape on the striking surface should be kept to a minimum. Now a lot of people want to remove that rule from the book of war, because of it's short shortsightedness about new construction methods.

Incorrect, the BoW has multiple instances of specific construction mandates regarding materials which intentionally limit a builder's choices, apart from the general size/weight/length rules:
Book of War wrote:
  • 1.3.9. A Weapon may not have a metal core
  • 1.4.7.7. (Javelins) Must have a yellow cover
  • 1.4.8.6. All arrows must contain a perpendicular penny secured at the end of the shaft.
  • 1.4.8.7. The arrow’s striking surface must be constructed of open-cell foam
  • 1.4.8.9. The striking surface of an arrow must be tape free

All that said, I don't feel that a ban on noodle foam is necessary. Any foamsmiths in the know won't use it for a Bel weapon which they care to use for any length of time, and heralds / weapons checkers across the land can weed these out when they see them if there are any legit issues.

Example: This past Wednesday I just passed off 4 ridiculously bulky home builds that two new guys took the time and effort to make and bring to practice. I did so because I wanted to encourage the guys for their effort and to keep them coming to practice. The weapons were made of PVC, blue foam, duct tape, and sock covers and were obviously inferior. When I checked them (and re-checked three more times throughout the night) they were safe and were allowed to be used with the caveat that these builds were stupid, a waste of materials, and would not be allowed on the field the next week. The realm offered to host a weapons building session this Saturday and one of the guys said he would come.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Kage » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 am

Tiberius Claudius wrote:When I checked them (and re-checked three more times throughout the night) they were safe and were allowed to be used with the caveat that these builds were stupid, a waste of materials, and would not be allowed on the field the next week.

What are they failing for exactly? Is it because there really is a flaw in the build or is it because the build was a stupid waste of materials? God I hope it's the prior, because the second could quite possibly the the worst reason for failing a weapon I have ever seen especially since you already said the weapons were safe.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:57 pm

There was play in the foam coming detached from the core and the pommels were secured by the duct taped sock cover, not by any adhesive to the core. There was no way for the pommels to come off because of the cover and they were safe that night, but they were not legit builds and would have come undone the next week.

My comments on how they were a waste of materials were to encourage them that their effort and money didn't have to be for nought.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:45 am

Sorry, I had to leave the planet for a few days.
Obviously I think this is a great idea.
The only real argument against it is: "how do we tell what weapons are made with pool noodle?"
You look under the cover, man. We look under the cover of many questionalble weapons, I don't see how this would be hard.
As for not being able to tell by looking at the foam, you squeeze some of it between your fingers. If the cells pop, it fails. That is WHY fun noodle and other inferior foams fail, they cells pop and the air goes out. I know that I and many other people(the smart ones) pinch every new kind of foam we see in the store to see if the cells pop. The best rule of thumb when foam shopping is to pinch it and see if the cells pop. If they do, you just don't buy it.
As far as cross gamers go, they need to be using safe equipment. Amt Gard DOES NOT HIT HARD. their weapons are NOT designed to be swung full force. Just like thier arrows are not made eyeball safe. I do not see the ability to use unsafe equipment as part of crossgaming. One kind of rubber sword costs $3, one costs like $5. requiring people to have a sword just for bel, or asking them to BORROW ONE FOR FREE(because we all have piles of loaner swords) is not a "barrier to play". And if not having safe weapons is a barrier to play, isn't is one we need? or are we suposed to let any larp **** walk on with whatever they want?
FB
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby bo1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:04 am

i will use an anecdote.

bino was at fest. he had a noodle sword, over wieghted in the handle, he got super frustarted at people calling light. to the point he wasnt really having any fun. i offered him to barrow one of my proper bats, bamo he returns with a smile at all the hits poeple took.

that said, i dont care what foam you use, proper check catches unsafe weapons. heralds recheck things throughout the day as it is, i see no reason to ban a type of foam, because all foam has a lifespan, this one is just somewhat shorter than others. even then its life is only shorter if you dont know how to make proper equipment. i have 4 amt bats for block strike, it speeds up your combat computer. they have lasted easily 40 hours of block strike with no reblade. it can last a long time if you take your time and build it proper.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Angmarth » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

The only argument I can give for banning a material is if it causes a problem on the field on a regular basis. If you build a heavy weapon (16+ oz.) with substandard material (fun noodle) you will have weapons that are potentially unsafe. Not unsafe on any particular testing hit, but the risk of the weapon striking surface failing catastrophically to the core is raised dramatically when swung full force. On a practice field at home, it is less risky since you can regulate who uses your weapon and if you don't swing all that hard it may never matter. The moment you are on a national field and a brute picks up your t00b in haste, the potential danger level goes up. Ultimately, it may never fail in the "doom and gloom" manner, but the fact is that the risk is higher in those circumstances.
Sir Angmarth, High King of Arnor
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 1998
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Moredain
Favorite Fighting Styles: Crushing my opponent until they relent.

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:18 am

Hit Test Is King.

No one uses noodle for serious weapons.

/agree with Varadin.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Forkbeard » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:03 am

But, people DO build serious weapons from fun noodle. They bring a whole sack of them to events and wear one out and get another from their bag. They PLAN to wear them out to an unsafe degree in combat, knowing that while they passed check they will wear out imediatly.
Many amt dudes do this all the time. Some bel people do it, too. That why I think fun noodle should go.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 am

Forkbeard wrote:But, people DO build serious weapons from fun noodle. They bring a whole sack of them to events and wear one out and get another from their bag. They PLAN to wear them out to an unsafe degree in combat, knowing that while they passed check they will wear out imediatly.
Many amt dudes do this all the time. Some bel people do it, too. That why I think fun noodle should go.
fb

I hate being that guy (really?) But if you want to fail a noodle bat, it's really very easy. None of them are legal stab width, either, so if you se an amtgarder (our anyone) stabbing with them, be sure to toss that person.
Arrakis

Postby Loptr » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Forkbeard wrote:But, people DO build serious weapons from fun noodle. They bring a whole sack of them to events and wear one out and get another from their bag. They PLAN to wear them out to an unsafe degree in combat, knowing that while they passed check they will wear out imediatly.
fb

Can you clarify what Amt dudes Fork? In SLC the regular crossovers have MC swords of some derrivative or another. I can see Border Wars getting some of that, but I'd argue that is a mechanic of setting up shop right next door to the Amt park and getting the casual player.

As an Amt/Bel player I have been using my Bel legal swords as my primary weapons for a couple years now. You know you love my t00B Fork!

Again FunNooble brand noodle has become a **** and **** product each year. The off brands are more durable, proper construction really wont prevent FunNoodle from cheesing fast if your swinging with a modicum of force.

L
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Seriously......

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:19 am

I don't pay enough attention to regular amt dudes to know their names.
But there were at least 4 weapons like this in the garbage at chaos with broken cores, and I saw about 20 making them around the place.
It's **** and I said so, but they pass for about 5 minutes, so the stupid heralds let them on the field.
And I saw them puuting a thin layer of craft foam on the core, like 1/8" thick. Is that this the "new tech" people are talking about that is suposed to make these peices of **** better? Because it does NOT!
Fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby varadin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 am

Forkbeard wrote:I don't pay enough attention to regular amt dudes to know their names.
But there were at least 4 weapons like this in the garbage at chaos with broken cores

How does a broken core matter in a discussion about foam?
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Angmarth » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:16 am

I think that what FB is trying to get at is substandard materials in general, not just foam. I think (he can correct me if I'm wrong), there are 2 issues here.

1) Safety - FB is concerned that Funoodle (and its similar counterparts) does not make safe weapons when combined with standard cores. The foam will (within a short time of its passing the hit test) begin to degrade quickly and will catastrophically fail making a weapon swung unsafe. In order to compensate for the light hitting weapon constructed in 2, people swing for the fences which puts undo stress on the foam and core which are not designed for full force swings. Hence the reason you will see them snap cores.

2) Playability - FB has stated in previous threads (and I feel it is somewhat implied here, but I hope he corrects me if it is not what he is thinking) that not all 12 oz weapons are created equal. When you combine a minimal mass foam (like funoodle) with a gold club shaft core, you get a weapon that while might weigh enough does not hit hard enough.

Both of the these points are intertwined, but I tried to separate them a little to get at what FB is talking about (I think anyway).
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:53 pm

You are absolutely correct Angmarth.
But I was really only mentioning the broken cores on the weapons in the trash as an identifier. They WERE broken and in the trash. More people than me saw them.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:13 pm

I don't think anyone has protested that noodle makes **** swords that suck and shouldn't pass.

Though I do wonder how in **** a noodlebat made on a core that CAN snap that easily ever possibly made weight and I know it almost certainly never scored a legal hit anyone should have taken...

What do you propose we do about it if we are unwilling to legislate a construction material mandate? A Statement of Intent from all of the major event coordinators that noodle weapons will be failed with prejudice? A PSA to foamsmiths that it sucks? A campaign to get the last holdouts in Amtgard to switch to MC bats? A video showing weapons checkers how to identify and then legally fail the **** out of noodlebats?
Arrakis

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Arrakis, yes to all.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Loptr » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

Side note here.

Apparently its not just Amt x-overs using noodle.
At Thaw there were Bel peeps from the Pac NW area that were using noodle swords. I was genuinely surprised to see this.
Here in UT we have managed to get X-overs to use proper tech at Bel events with a high degree of consistency. With the exception of Border Wars which is an annomoly due to it being right next to and during the last half of the Amt park.

Loptr
Viking rattBastard
Loptr
Gladiator
Gladiator

Seriously......

Postby Spyn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:51 pm

If you are making Belegarth and Dagorhir weapons with any type of pool noodle, your doing it wrong.

Spyn
Spyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1994
Unit: Rogue Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Two Sword

Postby Angmarth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:32 am

Arrakis wrote: Though I do wonder how in **** a noodlebat made on a core that CAN snap that easily ever possibly made weight and I know it almost certainly never scored a legal hit anyone should have taken...

They make weight by counting weighting the handles. Because regardless of the strength of hit, an audible noise will be made and the hit will be counted by heralds. If you don't take it, you will be called dead. I know this, because it happened to me at a Numenor practice I attended. (It was at the practice where Sir Angel was knighted.) I was hit, the hit made a noise but was no where in the vicinity of good enough. I looked at the herald next to me and said, "I am NOT going to take that". Then I was called dead. After the battle I took the weapon and whacked the herald with it. My point was made, but the damage was already done. I had been forced by a herald to take a substandard hit from a weapon that couldn't deliver sufficient force, but that had no problem delivering an audible sound.
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:39 am

Heralds making fighters take shots that the fighters claim were insufficient is the problem, there.

Edited for number.
Last edited by Arrakis on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arrakis

Postby Blackwolfe » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:22 am

Spyn wrote:If you are making Belegarth and Dagorhir weapons with any type of pool noodle, your doing it wrong.

Spyn

Having kept a loaner bin of pool noodle boffers for over a year,
I have to completely agree with this post. Don't use pool noodle. Noodle foam just isn't good enough.
Blackwolfe
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 1964
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: AoD

Postby Angmarth » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:25 am

Arrakis wrote:Heralds making fighters take shots that the fighters claim were insufficient is the problem, there.

Edited for number.

This is true, but the herald is put into a uniquely bad position. If you see a person get hit, and hear it, it is assumed that the hit was good enough. The reality is, unless our rules are changed to remove sufficient force (which I would fight tooth and nail to prevent) this is seems to be a growing problem. Fighters are min/maxing their weapons by using the lightest core possible and then weighting the handles to enable the weapon to make weight. In my opinion this is the wrong direction for our game to be going, but I might be in the minority here.
Knight of Numenor
aka Mike Hockaday
Angmarth
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Reverend » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:45 am

Angmarth wrote:
Arrakis wrote:Heralds making fighters take shots that the fighters claim were insufficient is the problem, there.

Edited for number.

This is true, but the herald is put into a uniquely bad position. If you see a person get hit, and hear it, it is assumed that the hit was good enough. The reality is, unless our rules are changed to remove sufficient force (which I would fight tooth and nail to prevent) this is seems to be a growing problem. Fighters are min/maxing their weapons by using the lightest core possible and then weighting the handles to enable the weapon to make weight. In my opinion this is the wrong direction for our game to be going, but I might be in the minority here.

There's also those of us, though small in number, that get that and don't freak out about it.

I know when I pick up my 18oz turbo bat, with 13oz in the handle that not every shot I throw with it is going to be hard enough. I compensate with body mechanics, but if someone calls light on my shot, I'm not going to get butt hurt. I'm going to throw a different shot or switch for my 26oz short sword that's fairly balanced.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:14 pm

Angmarth wrote:

This is true, but the herald is put into a uniquely bad position. If you see a person get hit, and hear it, it is assumed that the hit was good enough. The reality is, unless our rules are changed to remove sufficient force (which I would fight tooth and nail to prevent) this is seems to be a growing problem.

I feel like perhaps we should challenge the validity of that assumption. Heralds, in my admittedly more limited experience, are intended to keep the peace on the field, keep play safe and moving, and ensure minimal rule-breaking. Questioning the honor of a fighter based on a single observed incident where it appears from sight and sound that a fighter was struck is not, I think, the proper place of a herald.

If other fighters come to the herald and tell him that they have a problem with said fighter taking hits correctly, then, certainly, that herald should intervene: talk to the fighter in question about it; ask one of the people who had a problem with him or her to hit the herald a few times, so that the herald can assess how that fighter's weapon hits; and, if necessary, to remove the problem fighter(s) (whether that is the alleged slougher or the alleged light-hitter) from the field until such time as the problem is corrected (by either calming down, removing problematic armor, or picking up a weapon that can deliver a legitimate hit without core-striping someone).

But just calling non-newbie fighters dead based on "well, it shoor looked like u got hit, there, buddy" seems a bit ridiculous, to me. Why I think the assumption of "sounded good = was good" is invalid: Especially in this age of continuously-changing technology, not all shots and sticks sound alike. No one can know for sure if a single shot was good enough except the recipient of the shot. That's just how our rules are set up. Why should heralds try to invalidate those rules with calls based on necessarily incomplete and often incorrect data?
Arrakis

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Arrakis,

I think the heralds in these particular instances may only be intervening based on sight/sound when they hear no communication from the person being hit. If that is the case, then the herald has the duty to step in and call the shot for that person because of the lack of communication, which is fundamental to our game. Without communication it just turns into a game of bloody knuckles until someone says uncle.

If the herald is overriding calls made by players, then that's wrong unless it is blatant and obvious cheating.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 am

I could not disagree more, Fake Tibby.
If a hearald SAW me get hit, but I didn't feel anything(for whatever reason, but let's assume it is because the weapon was light as hell), I could not call out anything. I didn't feel it, so why would I call anything. If the herald calls me dead, I look like a cheater. If the chump with the light sword complains, I look like a cheater. Both because this chump is trying to cheese the weapon making rules.
Arrakis is absolutely right. Heralds are there to keep the peace, not to tell us when they think we got hit.
fb

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:39 am

fork your situation is changing the premise of the discussion. what happened was, shot contact, noise, angmarth"light", herald " dead". that is not ok, bad heralding. it is impossible to cheat if you say light after contact. it is fighters call to determine hit. can this be taken too far, sure, is it a problem no. why is it not a problem, cause people have glaives, the great equalizer. i can go 100% on someone exceptionally thick calling way too much light, they usually stop fighting for the day after a good shot or 3.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:52 am

You're right, that's a heralding issue and the heralds around here dealt with it long ago. I just like telling Fake Tibby he's wrong.
This was about the safety for fun noodle "weapons".
They should go. We're going to fail them at Sam Hain.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:16 am

lol, oic, you were busy being "bullybeard".

banning any type of foam is not really the theme of the b.o.w. or the sport.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:29 am

No, but having a public dissusion about it gets people thinking about it. If that helps people make better decisions when buying material, I'm a happybeard.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:39 am

lol, your logic is sound, even if your methods make an orangatang seem graceful.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Forkbeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:44 am

Now we're going to wax philosophic, eh?
I work the way I do because it get's things done. The environment here is Chaos. I have enjoyed the opportunity to study how the mob controls things in that kind of environment both in books and in person.
My methods seem ungraceful when viewed close up, but I find that overall, things are going exactly according to a very complex plan.
For example, a 3.5" template for reads and spears is an incredibly awesome idea that YOU came up with.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby bo1 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:47 pm

just to clarify, i was joking with the orangatang comment. oh, and i am not trying to wax anything.
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Postby Dane » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:28 am

Spyn wrote:If you are making Belegarth and Dagorhir weapons with any type of pool noodle, your doing it wrong.

Spyn
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby Shino » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Loptr wrote:Side note here.

Apparently its not just Amt x-overs using noodle.
At Thaw there were Bel peeps from the Pac NW area that were using noodle swords. I was genuinely surprised to see this.
Here in UT we have managed to get X-overs to use proper tech at Bel events with a high degree of consistency. With the exception of Border Wars which is an annomoly due to it being right next to and during the last half of the Amt park.

Loptr

Lol Dangus. He was one person.

Hey now. I don't use that **** and I resent that comment about Pac NW fighters.

Forkbeard wrote:They should go. We're going to fail them at Sam Hain.
FB

That's a fair action.
I don't believe fun noodle or any of the other noodle brands out there have a place in this game. It's not like we don't ban materials already. Anyone out there remember our stance on metal cores?
Merciless Michael of God Squad
Gelfan Empire
Dragoon and Knight of Babylon
Shino
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mantis

Return to Rules Discussion And Development