Rules to start a realm?

Discussion on marshalling

Moderators: Brutus, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Rules to start a realm?

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:24 pm

Say I want to start a realm (as there are none within reasonable driving distance). I have heard that there are rules for starting a realm but I can't seem to find where they are actually written down. It would be awesome if someone could link me to that page. Sorry for any inconvenience I gave finding them on my own a good honest try.

Thanks,
Slim
Slim
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4- 0

Re: Rules to start a realm?

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:40 pm

This would be more appropriate for the Rules Questions or New Members Fora.

You care about the bolded sections.
Belegarth By-Laws wrote:Article 15: Realms

* 15.1. What is a Realm: A community or territory that has an active status in the BMCS.
* 15.2. An active realm in BMCS:
o 15.2.1. Must have and maintain at least ten (10) active members for a one-year period. An active member is defined as a person who participates in realm activities and represents the realm during inter-realm events.
o 15.2.2. Must register with the BMCS. Either contacting an Officer of BMCS, and/or the BMCS UBB.
o 15.2.3. Must use the rules for combat based on those contained within the Book of War of the BMCS. A realm may develop realm-specific rules. However, the national rules will be used during any inter-realm event.
o 15.2.4. Must not be within 20 miles of another BMCS realm. Alternatively, if within 20 miles of another BMCS realm then must have at least ten (10) active members separate from the other realm.
o 15.2.5. A realm must have a regularly scheduled practice at least once per month.
o 15.2.6. A realm must have a written constitution and/or bylaws. These will be submitted to the War Council for review prior to being granted voting status.
* 15.3. Becoming a Voting Realm.
o 15.3.1 Meet all the criteria from section B of section 15.2.
o 15.3.2. An Officer of BMCS, and/or voting member of the BMCSWC must sponsor a new realm before they are granted a seat on the BMCSWC.
* 15.4. Duties and responsibilities of a sponsor realm.
o 15.4.1. Designate points of contacts for both the sponsor and sponsored realms.
o 15.4.2. Exchange contact information including names, addresses, phone numbers, and email.
o 15.4.3. Make an attempt to visit the sponsored realm practice or event at least once every six months.
o 15.4.4. Bring the sponsored realm up for speaking rights at the Belegarth War Council.
o 15.4.5. Once this is done, the sponsorship needs to be addressed by the BMCSWC and a vote taken. It will be a 2/3rds majority vote. Once passed, the new realm will have its voting rights.
* 15.5. Removal of a Realm:
o 15.5.1. If for some reason a realm does not fulfill the requirements of section 15.2 the BMCSWC may remove that realm’s voting status until such requirements are met. A 2/3 majority of all voting realms is required.
o 15.5.2. If a Realm knowingly violates local or federal law, the realm may lose voting rights by order of the BMCSWC.
o 15.5.3. If a realm is dissolved, or states its wish to no longer be associated with the BMCS, the BMCSWC may revoke its voting rights.
o 15.5.4. A realm may voluntarily choose to reduce its status from voting to speaking rights. To regain its voting rights, it must follow the procedures in sections 15.2 and 15.3 of this article.
o 15.5.5. To remove a realm from its right to vote is a voluntary action by the BMCSWC and therefore is not mandated.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Thorondor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 am

Along with the by-laws here's a wiki article that might help.

http://www.geddon.org/Starting_a_Realm
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:29 am

Good one Thor,

Here's another link for Cib's Realm Starter Kit
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby Thorondor » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:35 am

Tiberius,
I had totally forgotten about that starter kit. I added it onto the wiki page :-)

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Slim » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:25 pm

So where do I post that info to? I don't want to * people off by posting it in the wrong area and I don't see an area that really fits...
Slim
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4- 0

Postby Thorondor » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:34 pm

The thread can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=34866

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Voodoo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:19 am

I had a question about starting a realm. In order to be able to practice at a local park, do we need a permit or permission or can we just go and play every week?
"People have been swinging at me for years, but they always seem to miss".
Voodoo
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 28 Mar 2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/flail and board, single blue

Postby warwell » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 am

I don't know about other areas in the country, but here in FL the parks require insurance if you want a permit. We have found it easier just to go to a park, find an out of the way area that won't impede on other park goers, and have at it. Dragon Coast has been in operation for four years and we haven't had any hassles.

YIS,

Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Postby Voodoo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:25 pm

If a permit is needed, does it cost anything?
"People have been swinging at me for years, but they always seem to miss".
Voodoo
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 28 Mar 2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword/flail and board, single blue

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 pm

That's going to depend on your city/county/state laws.

Generally, though, if you're practicing in a public park you can safely just get together and fight. It's not uncommon to have police/park officials/whatever ask what you're doing when you first start just to make sure that what you're doing is safe and won't damage the area, but other than that they probably won't give a ****.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Brutus » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Also it is good to remember that bows are legally considered weapons, or possibly even a firearm depending on local laws. I don't know if anyone has ever been hassled while firing big poofy balls of foam from their bows, but I usually advise our folks to put the bow down and out of the way when the police are around. Even when they are not around, anyone who shoots in the direction of a bystander will be done arching for the day or longer.

In general, if your group is respectful of others who are using the park, you shouldn't have too many problems. It also helps to have the oldest most respectable person in your group talk to any park officials or police who wander by, rather than Joe 12-year-old Newby. In general, try to look as legitimate, organized, and respectable as you can, even and especially if you aren't any of those things.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Reverend » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:48 pm

Brutus wrote:Also it is good to remember that bows are legally considered weapons, or possibly even a firearm depending on local laws. I don't know if anyone has ever been hassled while firing big poofy balls of foam from their bows, but I usually advise our folks to put the bow down and out of the way when the police are around. Even when they are not around, anyone who shoots in the direction of a bystander will be done arching for the day or longer.

In general, if your group is respectful of others who are using the park, you shouldn't have too many problems. It also helps to have the oldest most respectable person in your group talk to any park officials or police who wander by, rather than Joe 12-year-old Newby. In general, try to look as legitimate, organized, and respectable as you can, even and especially if you aren't any of those things.

SLC, Utah isn't allowed to do missiles because bows are considered firearms.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:45 am

It's interesting how city laws vary. The 'big' city where we live (St. George) doesn't allow archery, but not because of the bow; rather the arrows - even our safe poofy ones. So, we practice in the city next door and there are no issues whatsoever.

We had considered applying for some sort of special permit at the banned parks, but then we were worried about drawing extra attention/scrutiny and decided we were fine with where we were at. Wish our area was friendly to 'unusual activities'.

Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Postby warwell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 am

A police officer came by our practice a few weeks ago.

Short version of the story - he shot me in the leg.

Longer version -
We were practicing archery when he pulled up. He jumped out of the car, came over to us, and asked us if we were LARPing. We said yes (didn't want to get into Bel/Dag is not a LARP). Then he asked if he could take a shot with the bow. I let him use me as a target and he hit me in the leg. He thought it was really cool. We invited him to come out and practice with us when he is off-duty but he said he usually works on our practice day.

Since then, a couple of other officers have stopped by. Seems like word has gotten around the station. They've been very friendly and curious and we've been very happy to chat with them.

YIS,
Rufus of Dragon Coast
warwell
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 22 Mar 2008
Realm: WotS Chimera Legion
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword (with stabbing tip) & shield

Return to Marshalling/Heralding