"Gymnastic Rubber" possibly stab tip foam?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

"Gymnastic Rubber" possibly stab tip foam?

Postby Savage » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:35 am

Do you think this foam would work for stabbing tips? It suggests using it as exercise or yoga mat material.

foambymail.com wrote:Gymnastic Rubber is durable and flexible closed-cell foam with a medium feel. Its high density allows it to be used for exercise matting, kneeling cushions, and camping pads while remaining soft to the touch for comfort. It can be used to dampen vibrations and noise in automotive and industrial capacities as well.
Western Uruk-Hai
Red Eye Tribe
White Skull
Raen Dun'Aear Warhost
Savage
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2005
Realm: Raen Dun Aear
Unit: Western Uruk Hai

Re: "Gymnastic Rubber" possibly stab tip foam?

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 am

Hard to tell from the picture, but if by "rubber" they mean that its soft and has some squish/give, then it may work. The description seems to imply that it will.

It's all about the hit test.

If you have access to any, build a quick stabby dagger (green only) and test it.

If its like the Gold's Gym yoga mat, or the therma seat cushions that are out there, or the Lifeguard tube foam, then its good to go. The product says that its very similar to ensolite, which is what these other foams are. Use about 3 layers depending on the thickness.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby bo1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 pm

ya there is so much varition on foams, that it is unlikely to know if a particular foam will work. call and see if you can get a sample, or call around to gymnastic gyms and see if they have some to feel. then you use your best judgement and make a test weapon or 3.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Savage » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:01 am

Thanks for the feedback fellas, that's solid advice. I'm going to ask them to send me a sample and build a little green-only shank.
Western Uruk-Hai
Red Eye Tribe
White Skull
Raen Dun'Aear Warhost
Savage
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2005
Realm: Raen Dun Aear
Unit: Western Uruk Hai

Postby Oznog » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:04 pm

I know it well.

I believe it all falls under a class of PVC, aka "vinyl" foam. Vinyl is the V in PVC, and yes, it can be an elastic foam. Thermarest cushions, Ensolite, some beer koozies, some floor mats, and some all-foam pool floating lounge mats.

It's not like polyethylene foams in that if you put a hot wire through it, it just chars. It doesn't melt. Polyurethane burns a bit, but not like this. Vinyl foam doesn't absorb water because the cells are closed.

The thing to understand is that unlike polyurethane, it tries to maintain a constant volume pretty hard. When a cylinder is compressed, the sides bulge out. If you tape the sides with just some straps, it tends to bulge through the gaps in the tape and tear on the edge. If you try to wrap the entire thing in a complete ball, it is not very compressible at all. If you use electrical tape, well, electrical tape isn't very strong.

But it can be a pretty good stabby, in my experience.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Return to Foam Smithing