Question about 5 foot glaive.

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question about 5 foot glaive.

Postby Eruaphadion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:33 am

Hey, I made a search but didn't see an answer to this question.
So I thought I'd post and ask about using double sided tape in construction of a glaive? The group I fight with uses tape almost exclusively for all weapons and it works really well. However I'm not sure if tape will be sturdy enough for a red like this.

Anybody have experience on double sided tape glaives?
Eruaphadion
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 11 Jan 2010
Realm: Ashguard
Favorite Fighting Styles: I believe it is called Over Hand Spear.

Re: Question about 5 foot glaive.

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 am

No, use glue. In fact, always use glue.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:53 am

I tried it, it was a huge waste of time and money. Use contact cement like FB was saying.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Cheeseheart » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:53 am

I sincerely hope that the group you are with grows out of this practice. If it does, I'll live vicariously through you! But coming from someone who did use double-sided carpet tape for about the first year or so of fighting/making weapons, I'd also recommend not doing so. I've ended up experiencing some immense failures because of that tape.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby Eruaphadion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:44 am

Forkbeard wrote:No, use glue. In fact, always use glue.
FB

Really? Even for little things like loaners?

Tails wrote:I tried it, it was a huge waste of time and money. Use contact cement like FB was saying.

Alright, will do.

Cheeseheart wrote:I sincerely hope that the group you are with grows out of this practice. If it does, I'll live vicariously through you! But coming from someone who did use double-sided carpet tape for about the first year or so of fighting/making weapons, I'd also recommend not doing so. I've ended up experiencing some immense failures because of that tape.

Hahaha, I mean, we know that plastic cement is structurally better, trust me. But we are all college students, so the ease and speed of double sided tape is a huge boon. But I'll be building this over Thanksgiving break, so I will be able to devote the time to cementing it.
I will let them know that glue is the preferred bonding agent. xP Maybe we can start transitioning over for the bigger items.

Well, thank you all for the help! I will definitely use cement for it
Eruaphadion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Eruaphadion wrote:
Forkbeard wrote:No, use glue. In fact, always use glue.
FB

Really? Even for little things like loaners?

Yes

Eruaphadion wrote:Hahaha, I mean, we know that plastic cement is structurally better, trust me. But we are all college students, so the ease and speed of double sided tape is a huge boon.

You're a college student, $$$ should be a bigger incentive, DAP is cheaper and will last longer then DSDT.
Eruaphadion wrote:I will let them know that glue is the preferred bonding agent.

Get a can of DAP contact cement, do you know how to use it? (this is not a joke)
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Eruaphadion » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:01 pm

Tails wrote:You're a college student, $$$ should be a bigger incentive, DAP is cheaper and will last longer then DSDT.

That is a very good point, however time is also money! XD
But really, thanks, I had not considered that.

Tails wrote:Get a can of DAP contact cement, do you know how to use it? (this is not a joke)

Lol, yeah, I said we use tape "almost exclusively". We have made probably... five blues, a red, and a shield using DAP. So we have at least a little experience using it. I actually still have some at home I believe, not sure if it was sealed well enough to still be good though.
Eruaphadion
Recruit
Recruit

Postby LoganSteele » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:30 pm

Hrm, unfortunate. I was hoping to try to use this douible sided tape trick to teach underage fighters how to make weapons without exposing them to the fumes of the DAP. For now i simply have them buy the materials and then make them for them if i do not have thier parents present during a build. I was also hoping to use this method so i may have builds at the park to show more people instead of having to always invite people to my house. When using cvontact cememnt i find its best to have to have a gluing table work space made. I simply use a board with two saw horses but not something i would drag to a park. I dont think the park would like me playing around with chemicals there.
Ambassador for Desert Wind Thane of Fenrirs Kin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2009
Realm: Desert Wind
Unit: Fenrirs Kin
Favorite Fighting Styles: reds - Javalin

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Fist of all how young?

LoganSteele wrote:I was hoping to try to use this douible sided tape trick to teach underage fighters how to make weapons without exposing them to the fumes of the DAP.

As long as you don't lock them in a room with the stuff, should be fine, it's jsut sticky as all hell.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kasada » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 pm

Basically, carpet tape does work, but it's not as stable and usually doesn't last as long. The pros of it are that it's easy to disassemble for repairs or part replacement, and (here's the main one) you don't need a special environment to use it. In all cases where you have *access* to a well ventilated, sufficiently warm area, DAP is better to use (except first time ever making a weapon, mistakes are easier to correct with tape).

Edit: I overlooked something. The main issue with finding a good room for DAP isn't the application. The problem really sets in regarding finding a place to store the weapons for the 3-7 days that they're drying and still stink horribly.
May you find a twist in your road.
Kasada
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 30 Jul 2008

Postby Tails » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Kasada wrote:Basically, carpet tape does work, but it's not as stable and usually doesn't last as long.

Yes
Kasada wrote:The pros of it are that it's easy to disassemble for repairs or part replacement

No, if you use a strong enough carpet tape to hold the weapon together it'll rip the foam on dismantling.

Kasada wrote:(here's the main one) you don't need a special environment to use it. In all cases where you have *access* to a well ventilated, sufficiently warm area, DAP is better to use (except first time ever making a weapon, mistakes are easier to correct with tape).

Edit: I overlooked something. The main issue with finding a good room for DAP isn't the application. The problem really sets in regarding finding a place to store the weapons for the 3-7 days that they're drying and still stink horribly.

I think people blow this way out of proportion.
Also DAP is better to use period, if it's your first time, just get someone who's done it before you look over your shoulder.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sir Thurat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:12 am

Tails wrote:[...] if it's your first time, just get someone who's done it before you look over your shoulder.

*snickersnickersnicker*

Sorry. Have to say that carpet is still definitely something to have around if you're traveling to an event or something. You can do some quick repairs that will pass for a weekend at the very least with a bit of tape and a small bit of foam, such as with pommel failures. So it can be the best option in some cases.

EDIT: Just don't go with the cheap stuff. If you're going to use it, get the stuff with the heavy fiberglass strands in it and a strong adhesive. It's pricy, but cheap stuff will just tear off :\
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage

Postby bo1 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:59 pm

i agree, that using carpet tape is fine for a fast fix, but no way to start a weapon, and even for a fix i dont use it on striking. it just doesnt workout for saftey, so please dont build with carpet tape.

good uses for carpet tape,
stab tip, the reinforced stuff works well for this. adds another strong layer to stop break down.
pommels, fast and easy, caps and wraps both.
haft padding, great, but adds too much weight for my money.
cover, it can be used at the bottom to help it not slide up.

that is the best uses, all core to foam, foam to foam is done with dap.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby LoganSteele » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:06 pm

When im talking about younger fighters im speaking of under 18. 16 to 17. we dont have many of those right now so more relevant is the ability to have a build at our practice site sometime instead of at my house all the time. Good advice though. Im glad this thread came up. Maybe ill pick up a roll one of these days but i do like the spray 77 for field repairs and i sometimes have premade pommels i can slip on for quick fixes. They only last a couple months but thats more then enough for an event!

Good point about the drying for a week or so. I definatally leave them next to my bed during that time...Kidding, i stash them in the garage near the vented screen door.
Ambassador for Desert Wind Thane of Fenrirs Kin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2009
Realm: Desert Wind
Unit: Fenrirs Kin
Favorite Fighting Styles: reds - Javalin

Return to Foam Smithing