Shield size in relation to sword length

Discuss how to become a better fighter and training methods for teaching new fighters.

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Shield size in relation to sword length

Postby vek » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:21 am

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of ordering new equipment online to replace my gear I've lost long ago. I'm confident in getting a small strap shield ( 18" diameter) but I'm having trouble deciding on the sword to go with it. I'm used to a 24" blade, but that was when I was using a larger shield. Right now I'm thinking about either getting a 24" blade with 10" handle, or just upping to the 28" blade. Any thoughts?

I also became curious to see if anyone out there feels that there is an offensive to defensive equipment ratio. I think there is, there larger the shield the shorter the weapon, and vice versa.

Thanks for any advice,

Vek
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Re: Shield size in relation to sword length

Postby Solusar » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:03 pm

With a smaller shield I'd say go 30"-34" total and see what you like. Depending on how tall you are and your arm length, you could up to 36".
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Ragefire » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:51 pm

A good rule of thumb to go by is with a smaller shield, go with a longer sword and vice versa. With the more limited defense a small shield presents the reach of the longer sword makes up for it. With a bigger shield and small sword, you get in close and grind.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Slagar » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Not at all. Not even a little. Sword length and shield size are completely unrelated. And each is a matter of preference, within certain reasonable ranges. Anywhere between 30-34" swords are perfect for most players, regardless of shield size. Some others prefer more unconventional kits (Sir Tybalt, Sir Joemick), but that's their call and not typical of most fighters.

Also, an 18" shield is very, very small. Without knowing how big you are, or whether it's strapped or center-grip, I can't say for sure, but that may be smaller than you find effective. While I've gotten my * handed to me by folks holding smaller, I'd still be a little skeptical to see one.

In any case, let us know how it goes. Good luck with the new kit.
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Realm: Numenor
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby vek » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 pm

That's true Slagar. I'm actually 5'-10". 190 lbs. So, not a huge target but not a bean pole either, you know? I'm used to standard round shields, so I'm down sizing to see how my came will change. I went with a 24" blade and a 6" handle.

But it seems obvious, in theory, that as the defensive radius around the body decreased that a stronger offense would develop. You know, if I can't allow the fighter to close in, then ensure a further distance. But, I'll definitely let everyone know how it worked out.
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby JoeMick » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:36 pm

vek wrote:
I also became curious to see if anyone out there feels that there is an offensive to defensive equipment ratio

Vek

I think the first problem is you classify a shield as defensive. Aggressive shield work is super important. I prefer a 24x30 punch heater and 51 inch sword. But as Slagar said I'm unconventional
It was the least i could do. And my father always told me to get away with the least i could do
JoeMick
G.I. JoeMick

Postby bo1 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28 pm

standard gear is 28 round and 32 sword. when you change either number you should ahve a darn good reason.
reasons to go longer sword: reach for line fighting, range for being sneaky with range, force you to dictate range and threat radious.
reaons to go shorter: grinding opponents, speed, force you to close better and more often.
reasons to go larger with shield: more defence, more reach to move opponents equipment around, fighting more people at once.
reasons to go smaller: force you to be active with defence, make you mroe mobile by forcing you to use range instead of standing and banging away, tilt the balance against you forcing you to have to try harder to survive, or move legs.

these lists are just an example there are tons of reasons for all the changes, but make sure you know why you are changing and what you need to work on when you change to stay effective.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Arrakis » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:40 pm

Bo, you might be interested to know, I read an answer to a question on shield size by Duke Paul of Bellatrix of the SCA the other day on the Ask Paul board of the Armor Archive and he indicated that 24" was plenty of shield and that 28" of round shield is getting out of handle-able range for "most" fighters.

The exact quote was

Duke Paul Bellatrix wrote:When I was still fighting a lot with a sword and shield, I started using a 24 inch round, then migrated to a 24x26 “sort of oval”, which I eventually changed to a 22x26 inch. This was strapped so that my arm was along the long axis, and my elbow was very close to the back edge.

This provides a fairly long reach for punch blocking, and very good vision. It also requires a very active style. My personal preference is to use a shield that leaves viable targets both above and below the shield, when it is held in an on-guard position.

This doesn’t make it the most effective shield on the field, but it will assist in building your skill, which fits in with my goals.

If you live in a region where everyone uses large shields, this may not be appropriate. If your Hoplite need or wants to increase the size, I’d suggest a 26-inch round. After that, they start getting in your way. He/she might make a 28 inch round work, but that’s pushing it.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Solusar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm

This thread just got interesting.

I will say there is a correlation between shield size and sword length. If I rock a 30" round and a 40" sword, my shot selection is ****. Just like if I use a tower. If I use a 24" sword and a tower I have a few more options, but not many. Inversely, if I have a 12" punch and a 36" sword it's hard to control the fight the way it should be, with range and such.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby vek » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:15 pm

bo1 wrote:standard gear is 28 round and 32 sword. when you change either number you should ahve a darn good reason.
reaons to go shorter: speed.

reasons to go smaller: force you to be active with defence, make you mroe mobile by forcing you to use range instead of standing and banging away, tilt the balance against you forcing you to have to try harder to survive, or move legs.

These are actually the reasons why I am switching up my fighting style.

And Joemick thanks for catching that, I am also really aggressive with my shield as an offensive weapon.

To run with Solusar I do agree that after a certain point it becomes cumbersome to combine a large shield and long sword. I've seen fighters will use a a buckler and halfling sword just for fun, not really effect.

But how does visibility tie when considering how to combine our equipment? I remember I saw Tor at Yestare years ago. He used a huge tower and a small hammer the size of his hand, and destroyed his opponents. While another fighter Slice in comparison used a long sword and very small shield with devastating effect.

I feel that a longer sword, and I think 32" is long, requires a smaller shield to allow better visibility of an opponent not only at a distance but when they close in. While a tower shield allows for, if not demands, a smaller sword to allow quick shots across the upper torso.

This is general theory based on observation and practice, there of course those unique, exceptional fighters that have mastered a really cool combo.

Vek
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Dane » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:55 am

32", end to end, is pretty much average length for swords. Anything longer than 34" is considered long, shorter than 30" is short. 30 - 34 is the sweet spot for most mid- to short-range fighters.

I prefer a 32-33" sword, 28" round. If using a punch round, I'll go smaller, 20 - 24".
Graavish wrote:it's not the weight of the weapon that makes for a solid hit, it's how much i don't like you when i'm swinging.

If they don't take it, then it wasn't sufficient.
Dane
Warrior
Warrior

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Single Blue

Postby arky » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm

on the unconventional. i use a larger than normal punch heater and 49"-52" red in one hand. my "short" swords are 36" long.
-Dark Angel-
arky
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: fisticuffs, thunderdomes, 12 pace duels.

Postby Tyrieal Isenguard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:07 am

I use a 30in round punch or low strap, and 32-34in swords. I feel that its the perfect combo, at least to me. I can move around easily and have all my shot angles. I'm 6'0 though and about 260.
Tyrieal Isenguard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2004
Realm: None
Unit: No Quarter
Florentine
Single Blue

Postby Solusar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:40 am

Tyrieal Isenguard wrote:I use a 30in round punch or low strap, and 32-34in swords. I feel that its the perfect combo, at least to me. I can move around easily and have all my shot angles. I'm 6'0 though and about 260.

This is an important point I didn't make. I'm 5'6" so using 36" in swords is asinine unless I have a really small shield. Body size is relative to weapon size.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Postby arky » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:42 am

<------ 6'4" 220
-Dark Angel-
arky
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2002
Favorite Fighting Styles: fisticuffs, thunderdomes, 12 pace duels.

Postby Slagar » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:43 pm

6'3", 210. So my 28" strap round covers less of me than it would you. FYI, when considering shield size for your new kit.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:16 pm

<----5'2", 155. 28' shield covers much more. But then again not being a cheating lefty hurts a bit.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Todo » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:03 pm

Slagar wrote:6'3", 210. So my 28" strap round covers less of me than it would you. FYI, when considering shield size for your new kit.

Hunh, I always pictured you as a shorty in my head.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Slagar » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:11 am

It's all that Napoleon complex. Keeps confusing folks.
Numenorean expatriate
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Postby vek » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:06 pm

Hey all,

So my new kit from Edhellen arrived after the event, but I did use something similar. I fought with a 21" round shield and a 24" sword. The combo was surprisingly effective. Although I was extremely vulnerable, my reflex speed and range of vision completely compensated. Really, the emphasis switches to leg work, this combo sacrifices the ability to remain stationary for very long. But over all for my height and build, I am very satisfied with the switch. Also, it allowed for much more aggressive shield work. I could intercept shots with much more range and flexibility then I could with a larger shield, and get in and lock an opponents arm with more ease. But, this is just me.

Vek
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Fighting Skill Development & Training