What Ever Happened... ?

Private Forum

Moderators: Kyrian, Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What Ever Happened... ?

Postby Yaga Malark » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:09 pm

What Ever Happened to the Classic Skirmisher? You know, those agro-ridden adrenophiles who would run ahead of the main army to harass? I think that belegarth units could really benefit from a core of members whose job it was to rush forward, pepper the enemy frontline with javies and rocks, and then hit the flanks while the main body strikes center. Do you think that this tactic would be too clunky for our sport, considering that we seem to be moving further and further into incredibly mobile techniques.
~There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.~
Yaga Malark
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: DGMA
Favorite Fighting Styles: Riot Breaker

Re: What Ever Happened... ?

Postby Caleidah » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:22 am

I don't know about out West, but in the East here there are entire units that basically do nothing BUT that. Clip across the front of a unit in hopes of drawing out the line, and then pick off the chasers.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:21 pm

I've seen Kargos do that. Alone. Because he's Kargos. And is fueled by our jealously and hate.
I know that in Babylon we have a tradition of more skirmishing tactics ala wolf-packing with very little in the way of line battles. We try for quality of quantity lol; also I'm pretty sure that God Squad was the GELF's commando skirmisher unit developed with exactly that in mind, balanced with a focus on taking out key targets.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Peanut of Loderia » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 pm

The problem with the classic skirmisher is that missile weapons like rocks and javelins in our game are easy to block. Any decent line will block it.
Peanut of Loderia
Mercenary
Mercenary

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Realm: Loderia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board

Postby Ragefire » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Skirmishing is extremely effective. I don't fight Bel/Dag as my main game, but I do play it often. In my main game there is virtually no line fighting, it's all skirmishing and charging. When I come to Dag/Bel, I notice how much people don't pay attention to their sides and back when in a line. Skirmishing and flanking is very effective.
''Stop running!! You're only going to die tired!!!''
Ragefire
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2009
Realm: Florida
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Great Sword

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Most fighters out west are skirmishers, or at least fight more loosely like a war band as opposed to a solid line of basically trained soldiers - with some notable exceptions. There's plenty of individual glory and baiting, if not so much screening and keeping enemies at bay/thinning numbers via missile weapons.

If you're talking about cultural variations on specific roles like the Hellenic peltastai, akontistai, or sphendonetai, the number of javelins needed to last a battle in that role is often cost prohibitive, and can also be ungainly as our weapons aren't as streamlined as their historical counterparts. Additionally, relatively fast moving and unarmored roles like this were only viable en masse, and are therefore harder to come by since its unlikely to get an entire unit, let alone a realm, to decide to take on a specific role that is so far removed from the "glory" and "fun" of mainstream battle for the good of a team at an event. The javs and arrows in our game are so large and slow moving that they are easy to block and really only regularly shine when sniping from an angle on a distracted fighter.

Would be cool to see a battle field reminiscent of the ancient days though.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Cu_ » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:01 pm

The other thing to remember, especially when it comes to the Greek model of warfare that Tibby just brought up, is that slinger and javelineer troops (and therefore, units) came about out of necessity of funds, not necessity of strategy. In Ancient Greece, the military did not fund soldiers with equipment; it was the responsibility of citizens to arm themselves in whatever way they could. People from the middle class, who could afford an aspis, and possibly (though not universally) armor, became heavy infantry. People from the underclasses, and slaves of the hoplites, who showed up with significantly less, were put to use however possible.

This is just one of those things that does not work on our micro level. If you had the numbers to make a decent arrow- or javelin volley (rocks are pretty worthless for this exercise), you'd be better off giving them full equipment and incorporating a more hand-to-hand skirmish, like the ones some people listed above.
Cu_
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 2008
Realm: Niflheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Punch and Pie

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:34 am

Belegarth ONLY has skirmishers. I haven't ever seen anyone do a proper shield wall. AT BEST you see a flying wedge or a loose wall made of skirmishers who break up and run about as soon as the enemy is engaged.
Why do you think EVERY **** battle devolves instantly into a swirling toilet bowl?
Many of us would like to see real shield walls. Thats why we are constantly shirking the battle fields while numbers are constantly increasing. This seems to be firming up lines. And when we can form firm lines and really get into formation fighting, you will begin see clearly defined groups of skirmishers emerge
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Guy Leslo Jans » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:41 am

Shannaran Echelon Win.

Walls are how we roll. But a good flank gets through, and your a killing spree waiting to happen.

What you see the most in our sport is single combat, and in a far second, small squad tactics, small squads keep your losses low and teamwork high, without walking on each others head.
Foot loose and shoe free.
Soo...what's the story?
Wielder of the Sharpened Spade
Guy Leslo Jans
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2005
Realm: Alavara
Unit: Ranger Corps
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wayhay too close! Too friendly to.

Postby jester kaiu » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:07 am

The closest thing thing to what you are wanting to see would have to be a few groups of people running from one side of their line to the other in a semi-circle going towards the enemy. Say groups of two shield men with javis or rocks and a fast firing archer that can call shots, shoot, aim, and reload while sprinting and not looking the direction theyre running. Then having the archer rejoin the line while the shieldmen perform a flank. Id love to try this with my unit on a large scale field battle, but we would have the other line charge us with people before we even got to the appex of the semi-circle
Sir Kaiu the Twisted Sun
War-chief of Jester's Court
jester kaiu
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2006
Realm: Dunharrow-dekalb
Unit: Jesters Court
Favorite Fighting Styles: Random chance swings, alot of 'em

Return to History, Warfare, and Tactics